Why hasn't Michael Grimm been arrested for assault?

And community orgnizers who grow up to be President.

It takes a community organizer to organize a country this big. We already had a B movie actor and an alcoholic rich kid. If Obama hadn't been black while being this skilled, even Republicans would grudgingly accept him.

If Obama wasn't black his name would be John Edwards and he would of been rejected by everyone. Only white guilt and high black voter turn out got the Hussein elected. It certainly wasn't his experience.

Nope...any Democrat would have won in 2008.

New York Rep. Michael Grimm threatens reporter after being asked about fundraising allegations

There was an assault in the U.S. Capitol and the Capitol police do nothing?

WTF?

Did Grimm touch the guy? Or just threaten to throw him off a balcony? I've made plenty of idle threats like that before, is it an arrestable offense? They only thing the guy was assaulted by was hot air. Stop trying to spin this into something serious.

On the other hand, why hasn't Obama been arrested for his transgressions against American citizens? Why do lawmakers and Capitol police sit there and do nothing? Remember, Obama has a pen and a phone.

The Law in Washington DC:

There are three forms of misdemeanor assault (that is, simple assault) in Washington, D.C. First, there is “attempted battery assault” which occurs when the defendant injures or attempts to injure another person. The second form, “intent-to-frighten” assault, is defined as a threatening act that puts another person in reasonable fear of immediate injury. Finally, “non-violent sexual touching assault” is the intentional touching of another person’s body without the other person’s consent. The touching in this third form must be on a part of the other person’s body that “would cause fear, shame, humiliation or mental anguish in a person of reasonable sensibility if done without consent.”
Simple Assault in Washington, DC: Attempted Battery Assault, Intent to Frighten Assault, and Sexual Touching Assault | Koehler Law

And? You've had many people on your end break the law, why is it suddenly an issue when a Republican does it? He was indeed being subjected to a cheap shot interview, contending he was rushing to that station's interview amid several other requests from more prominent networks.

The problem with your assertion is, Sallow, words aren't enough alone to constitute assault, even under the "intent to frighten statute" in Maryland and DC. First, the utterance of the threat itself carried with it no intent. He must act on that threat. He must act in a conspicuous or overt manner which causes the victim to fear for his safety and expect immediate harm.

Assault: Act Requirement

Even though contact is not generally necessary for an assault offense, a conviction for assault still requires a criminal "act". The types of acts that fall into the category of assaults can vary widely, but typically an assault requires an overt or direct act that would put the reasonable person in fear for their safety. Spoken words alone will not be enough of an act to constitute an assault unless the offender backs them up with an act or actions that put the victim in reasonable fear of imminent harm.

Assault: Intent Requirement

In order commit an assault an individual need only have "general intent". What this means is that although someone can't accidentally assault another person, it is enough to show that an offender intended the actions which make up an assault. So, if an individual acts in a way that's considered dangerous to other people that can be enough to support assault charges, even if they didn't intend a particular harm to a particular individual. Moreover, an intent to scare or frighten another person can be enough to establish assault charges, as well.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/assault-and-battery-overview.html

Seeing as how he committed no crime simply through speech, had no intent to throw the man off the balcony or break him in half, nor did he act in a dangerous way towards the reporter; there is no crime. Let me repeat: Words alone are not enough to constitute an assault. He must act in a way that frightens or scares the victim in connection with the threat. There insufficient proof to convict him with assault under that law. Yeah, being an aspiring paralegal has it's perks. I know my way around the law better than you.

The reporter himself displayed no fear, and in fact further challenged Grimm to answer the question, which continued to agitate him. To me, the reporter brought this on himself, the people who orchestrated this little stunt, NY1, covers all of the Boroughs including Manhattan and the 11th district, which Grimm serves currently. They had an interview already lined up, Grimm was on his way, and he gets ambushed by one of NY1's own reporters to their own interview. Don't sit there and tell me this wasn't planned from the beginning. His district is hotly contested right now, and predictably, the political tensions are high as well.

Last edited:
New York Rep. Michael Grimm threatens reporter after being asked about fundraising allegations

WTF?

The reporter would have to file a complaint against Grimm for them to do that.

So, one of those damned liberal reporters who was out there doing his job, decides not to make more trouble for the con Congressman.
L
I thought you right wingers said the liberal media has it in for the Conservative Repubs?
I guess even a liberal reporter knows that threatening to do something and actually doing it are two different things to bad you don't.

Last edited:
Go sign a complaint on him you're so worried about it

Grimm is an idiot who should face consequences. Why didn't the other guy file charges?

Grimm is an idiot, who didn't commit a crime. Words will hurt him far more. The reporter didn't file charges because there was never any real threat to his safety.

I thought he verbally threatened him and we all know how easily liberals scare.

I think the guy should at least apologize. I don't appreciate any politician mouthing off like some thug.

Last thing I would expect is for a Congressman to threaten to throw me off a balcony

No, the reporter will not file charges. He will just allow Grimm to twist in the wind as his political career evaporates

Which is perfectly fine by me.

Grimm is an idiot who should face consequences. Why didn't the other guy file charges?

Grimm is an idiot, who didn't commit a crime. Words will hurt him far more. The reporter didn't file charges because there was never any real threat to his safety.

I think the guy should at least apologize. I don't appreciate any politician mouthing off like some thug.

He indeed did apologize. In fact, he sought out the reporter and apologized to him personally. Most politicians don't even take the time to do that much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/n...reat-ny1-reporter.html?hpw&rref=nyregion&_r=0

Last thing I would expect is for a Congressman to threaten to throw me off a balcony

No, the reporter will not file charges. He will just allow Grimm to twist in the wind as his political career evaporates

Which is perfectly fine by me.

The reporter does not want to come off as a whiny little bitch. He was an unknown reporter on an unkown network and has been thrust on the national stage. He knows he has to play his cards right

He indeed did apologize. In fact, he sought out the reporter and apologized to him personally. Most politicians don't even take the time to do that much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/n...reat-ny1-reporter.html?hpw&rref=nyregion&_r=0

An apology within fifteen minutes after you have cooled down is credible

An apolgy the next day after your political team has spent all night figuring out what to say rings hollow

An apolgy the next day after your political team has spent all night figuring out what to say rings hollow

An apology is an apology as far as im concerned. Besides, maybe it took him all day to cool off. The Lord said forgive. I try to follow that.

An apology is an apology as far as im concerned. Besides, maybe it took him all day to cool off. The Lord said forgive. I try to follow that.

I'm sorry...but save your ass apologies don't cut it with me

I'm sorry...but save your ass apologies don't cut it with me

That's your choice. Just make sure you apply it to everyone

WTF?
As Wm. Shirer explains in The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich, a primary characteristic of an emerging police state is the elite class being immune from punishment for crimes against the politically and economically powerless. Evidence of this characteristic is clearly seen in the failure of the Clinton, Bush-2, and Obama Administrations' total failure to prosecute those members of the financial elite who conspired and machinated to profit in ways which have gravely harmed and nearly collapsed the U.S. Economy.

This glaringly obvious selective contempt for the Rule of Law is an ominous indication of the direction in which American society is headed. If one person can be sentenced to prison for selling an ounce of marijuana while another (e.g., Jamie Dimon) can illegally acquire billions of dollars, pay a relatively insignificant fine, and walk away laughing, this Nation is in serious trouble.

This entire scenario needs to be looked at and scrutinized. If it had been the reporter threatening the congressman what do you suppose would have happened?
So do we hold one individual to a different standard than another?

Sticks and stones? Words are words. People should not face threat of prosecution for statements. This country has fallen into a victim state where everybody wants everyone to get along and agree. If you say something mean you should see a judge? Please. Grow a pair America.

That is what the reporter probably thought...no harm, no foul

Besides, he has already ended the guys career. Not a time to overplay your hand
I disagree.

An example must be made of this would-be Mafiosi Congressman to restore rapidly declining respect for the Press -- which directly represents the People. Reporters should not be afraid to report and they should not be threatened with violence for doing it.

What Grimm did to that reporter was in effect being done to you and me! We have a right to ask a Congressman these questions via the Press. He has no right to threaten us for doing so.

What he did was plainly criminal and this arrogant thug should be prosecuted.

Last edited:
Sticks and stones? Words are words. People should not face threat of prosecution for statements. This country has fallen into a victim state where everybody wants everyone to get along and agree. If you say something mean you should see a judge? Please. Grow a pair America.

That is what the reporter probably thought...no harm, no foul

Besides, he has already ended the guys career. Not a time to overplay your hand
I disagree.

An example must be made of this would-be Mafiosi Congressman to restore rapidly declining respect for the Press -- which directly represents the People. Reporters should not be afraid to report and they should not be threatened with violence for doing it.

What Grimm did to that reporter was in effect being done to you and me! We have a right to ask a Congressman these questions via the Press. He has no right to threaten us for doing so.

What he did was plainly criminal and this arrogant thug should be prosecuted.

Lighten up you Nancy Boy.

Forum List

Back