Why I don't believe in God

^^^

So, you see, I can feel pleased and relieved, appreciative and grateful for things that I have without having to "thank" anyone in particular. :D
agreed.......you can be pleased, you can be relieved......but you need to be appreciative OF and grateful TO........

^^^

So, you see, I can feel pleased and relieved, appreciative and grateful for things that I have without having to "thank" anyone in particular. :D
agreed.......you can be pleased, you can be relieved......you can be appreciative and grateful.........but you can't be thank, without someone to thank......

You can't be thank? What on earth does that even mean?

Do you know anything about that belief in crystals? People believe that they have "powers." Lol. I guess you didn't understand my post.

Again, this is a byproduct of our intrinsic and inseparable human spirituality. When you can objectively evaluate this... step away from the idea of religions being right or wrong for a minute and just look at the human condition of abject spirituality, you have to realize we have a deep and abiding connection to something. How else can you rationalize it? Are your friends who believe in power of crystals psychotic or mentally disturbed? Or do they genuinely believe in something?

I have always been mystified by the pyramids in ancient Egypt and particularly, the ones in Peru. These great works of labor were not done by people who made up stuff. They genuinely had deep-rooted beliefs that were strong, regardless of whether they were right or wrong. Things like Stonehenge... human spirituality at work. Our state as humans is tied to this attribute in a fundamental way that can't be denied. Yet so many "sophisticated" people want to do just that.

They prefer to believe in some irrational premise that has no basis in logic or fact.

irrational.......you can feel happy......you can even feel tickled pink......but you cannot feel "thankful" without someone to feel "thankful" to.......

Well, I do. :) I'm thankful to be alive and to have my good health. I'm thankful for lots of things. I realize that a lot of people have it a lot worse than I do, so that makes me feel thankful. I don't think that's by some "design" by god. I think there are plenty of good people who live not so good lives probably in other countries or whatever, so I certainly don't think it's because I am "blessed" in any way. I am lucky compared to some is all.
more logically, you are happy to be alive and have good health......I'm not saying that you should consider it to be by some gods' design....they may actually have it in for you......my point is, it is irrational for you to use the word "thankful" when you don't believe there is anyone to "thank".......

I disagree with your opinion. :D
????.....it isn't an opinion......its English...........Have you ever in your life seen a sentence "I thank."..........

thank·ful
ˈTHaNGkfəl/
adjective
interesting......this proves my point......
Adjective
In linguistics, an adjective is a describing word, the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun or noun phrase, giving more information about the object signified. Adjectives are one of the English parts of speech, although historically they were classed together with the nouns.

what is the noun that your adjective is qualifying?........in other words, what is the object of your thanks?......

^^^

agreed.......you can be pleased, you can be relieved......you can be appreciative and grateful.........but you can't be thank, without someone to thank......

precisely, without an object, what on earth does it mean, to thank?......

Do you know anything about that belief in crystals? People believe that they have "powers." Lol. I guess you didn't understand my post.

Again, this is a byproduct of our intrinsic and inseparable human spirituality. When you can objectively evaluate this... step away from the idea of religions being right or wrong for a minute and just look at the human condition of abject spirituality, you have to realize we have a deep and abiding connection to something. How else can you rationalize it? Are your friends who believe in power of crystals psychotic or mentally disturbed? Or do they genuinely believe in something?

I have always been mystified by the pyramids in ancient Egypt and particularly, the ones in Peru. These great works of labor were not done by people who made up stuff. They genuinely had deep-rooted beliefs that were strong, regardless of whether they were right or wrong. Things like Stonehenge... human spirituality at work. Our state as humans is tied to this attribute in a fundamental way that can't be denied. Yet so many "sophisticated" people want to do just that.

They prefer to believe in some irrational premise that has no basis in logic or fact.

Oh, she's not mentally disturbed, just weird and needy. :D

I just have a difficult time believing in things like that are true. I see no evidence. I've held the crystals. :dunno: To me, it is just silly.

^^^

What he is trying to get you to understand is, you have to have an object of your gratitude. If you are grateful, who are you grateful to? Wal-mart for starting Black Friday early? The in-laws for staying at a hotel this year? Your boss for that $100 gift certificate? If you are thankful, it must include some object of your thanks.

It's a wonder it hasn't become politically incorrect to observe Thanksgiving Day.

Well, I do. :) I'm thankful to be alive and to have my good health. I'm thankful for lots of things. I realize that a lot of people have it a lot worse than I do, so that makes me feel thankful. I don't think that's by some "design" by god. I think there are plenty of good people who live not so good lives probably in other countries or whatever, so I certainly don't think it's because I am "blessed" in any way. I am lucky compared to some is all.
more logically, you are happy to be alive and have good health......I'm not saying that you should consider it to be by some gods' design....they may actually have it in for you......my point is, it is irrational for you to use the word "thankful" when you don't believe there is anyone to "thank".......

????.....it isn't an opinion......its English...........Have you ever in your life seen a sentence "I thank."..........

thank·ful
ˈTHaNGkfəl/
adjective
Adjective
In linguistics, an adjective is a describing word, the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun or noun phrase, giving more information about the object signified. Adjectives are one of the English parts of speech, although historically they were classed together with the nouns.
what is the noun that your adjective is qualifying?........in other words, what is the object of your thanks?......

Thankful, describing what you are thankful for, not WHOM. Lol. I'm sorry, but you are just not nearly as clever as you seem to think you are, but keep the faith! ;)

^^^

What he is trying to get you to understand is, you have to have an object of your gratitude. If you are grateful, who are you grateful to? Wal-mart for starting Black Friday early? The in-laws for staying at a hotel this year? Your boss for that $100 gift certificate? If you are thankful, it must include some object of your thanks.

It's a wonder it hasn't become politically incorrect to observe Thanksgiving Day.

No, you do not. If that was the case, then I would not be allowed to feel thankful, yet I do, and it is not towards anyone. I am grateful and thankful for things.

I just have a difficult time believing in things like that are true. I see no evidence. I've held the crystals. :dunno: To me, it is just silly.

Well, it is to me too... but so is the tradition of drinking some wine in small cup and eating a bland cracker, but people do it and believe they are doing something very important. The point is, it's human spirituality that can't be denied. We're spiritual creatures and we can't help that... just who we are.

^^^

That isn't how you used the word originally. You used it incorrectly. Lol. I can certainly be thankful without thanking anyone. That is just a fact. Sorry if it bothers you, but you are starting to become a pest, really. Like a mosquito.

Well, it is to me too... but so is the tradition of drinking some wine in small cup and eating a bland cracker, but people do it and believe they are doing something very important. The point is, it's human spirituality that can't be denied. We're spiritual creatures and we can't help that... just who we are.

And like I've said already, some people need that, and some people do not.

You have to really WANT to believe in God to believe in God.
duh......and you have to want to not believe in him to not believe in him......did someone hit you on the head when you were young?.....
I would love nothing more than to believe but from what I see it's made up.

That being said, the soup kitchen was of course run by Christians. Very nice people and a very nice program they run.

My nephews were amazed how I walked right in and immediately got everyone talking. The people in need were all black ex cons, alcoholics and drugs, etc. The one guy taught all the kids we brought how to play dominos. We talked politics, etc.

I really think it was a good experience for us and the people in need.

I don't think you will go to hell for believing nonsense but you think we're going to hell for not believing your nonsense.
that pretty much covers it, yes.......I believe you will not be going to the Christian paradise if you refuse to believe there is a Christian god......to be honest I would consider it illogical to think I was going to a place I refused to believe existed, but then, I'm not an atheist so don't ask ME to explain how your mind works.......

Lets say someone tells me all about Hawaii but because I have never seen any proof of a place I don't believe it exists. If you could provide some evidence a place exists, maybe I would believe. But because you can't, until you put me on a plane and send me there, I won't believe it exists. And neither should you.

Silly boob, this is an outstanding analogy. Once in a blue moon you actually stumble upon a good point. It's impossible to show you evidence when you don't believe in what the evidence supports. I can show you postcards of Hawaii... those could be faked. I could bring you back a pineapple from Hawaii... could've come from anywhere. I could get people who've been to tell you about Hawaii.. they could be lying or delusional.

But I also like the point made by PmP.. You don't wake up in the morning and think... I'm going to the message boards to argue with those Hawaii believers again today! A great example of this is my disbelief in "the grays" (actual aliens walking among us). It's possible because anything is possible but I just don't believe it. Therefore, I am not going to believe any "evidence" you present, I will remain skeptical... but I also won't spend my time coming here to argue with people who do believe that.
But you come here to argue its true. Why?

And if they can't give us good reasons why our reasons are wrong, I guess that means the evidence for God is really weak.
or that your mind is.......
It takes a lot more intelligence to figure out God doesn't exist than to swallow the lie and not question things that can't be true.

It's why the peasants in mexico are very religious. Besides needing God to cope, they aren't that smart. Mexico is proof they use religion to control the masses. Otherwise they wouldn't cope they'd fight to change their situation. The words cope and change are directly opposite not the same.

I would wish you Happy Thanksgiving but I don't have a clue who you would be thanking......
Thankful for my life, my family and friends, my health, my success in life, intelligence, the time I got on this earth.

Thankful for the food on the table, etc. Do you think only Christians and Muslims and Jews can celebrate Thanksgiving? And I've heard many a "I'm thankful for" speeches and no one ever says god. They are always thankful for the real tangible or physical things they have.

Thankful to whom?

You don't have to be thankful to anyone. You can just be thankful that things are going well.

What do you mean??? Thankful to WHO? Yourself?

You can feel thankful for what you have. You don't have to be thankful towards anyone. Don't you understand that? Sad. :(
You can be thankful for your job/life without thanking your boss/God. Atheists are self employed. We don't have a boss.

thank·ful
ˈTHaNGkfəl/
adjective
Adjective

Thankful, describing what you are thankful for, not WHOM. Lol. I'm sorry, but you are just not nearly as clever as you seem to think you are, but keep the faith! ;)
if no one gave you what you are thankful for, there is no one to thank, thus thanks would be meaningless.......if someone did give it to you, they would be the one to give thanks to......

And if they can't give us good reasons why our reasons are wrong, I guess that means the evidence for God is really weak.
or that your mind is.......
It takes a lot more intelligence to figure out God doesn't exist than to swallow the lie and not question things that can't be true.
lol.....as I recall you told us you decided God didn't exist when your friends made fun of you while you were drunk......lots of intelligence......

^^^

That isn't how you used the word originally. You used it incorrectly. Lol. I can certainly be thankful without thanking anyone. That is just a fact. Sorry if it bothers you, but you are starting to become a pest, really. Like a mosquito.
/shrugs.....except I haven't used it incorrectly.......the fact that you consider yourself "thankful" though you deny the existence of One to thank merely shows you haven't completely thought through the concept of "atheism" yet.......part and parcel of why I consider atheists to be truly irrational..........

Forum List

Back