Why I don't believe in God

"The most profound archaeological finding in human history"?

Really, bossy?

That's odd because you're the only one making that claim.

List the ones that are more profound. :dunno:

It's your claim. What is "most profound" about the finding?

Well, it's the oldest human settlement we've ever unearthed and it shows that humans were practicing spiritual beliefs. I think that's pretty profound, don't you agree?
Wrong again doofus, the oldest known human settlement is 8500 years old.
Turkish Culture and Tourism Office Website - USA - The oldest known human settlement in the world!

Well you read yourself that Lake Mungo man and woman were 40k years old... so is 40,000 less than 8,500? :dunno:
You said that it was the earliest human settlement found. You're wrong. Again.

Okay... so you are doing exactly what I said you would do.

This argument began with me saying, the oldest bones we've ever unearthed show signs of human spirituality. This is the oldest settlement we've ever found and there is human spirituality. Previously, the oldest civilizations we'd found were in Africa and we also found signs of ritual ceremony. Of course we know later civilizations in Egypt were certainly spiritual.

Now you ask how do we know it wasn't like stone tools. something we "picked up"? Well. we don't know this because we only have what we've unearthed. I suspect, before man became civilized, there probably wasn't spirituality. However, there are many prehistoric cave paintings and such to suggest that even the earliest Cro-Magnon cave men had some spiritual beliefs. I mean, if you subscribe to the whole "common ancestor" thing, I doubt the first monkey-human to pop out just said.. hmm.. got this dang urge to be spiritual for some reason! I wasn't there, we don't have evidence, so I don't know.

My only claim has been that spirituality has been inherent to mankind for as long as humans have been civilized and that's what the evidence shows. I can't tell you when it started which is the problem I have with those who claim it started when man invented it to [whatever]. That's an opinion and not a supported fact. We can say that about RELIGION but not spirituality. We know about when organized religious beliefs began, we can trace the origins. If human spirituality were invented, like stone tools and religion, we should find evidence of when it was invented and we don't. It has existed as long as man has been civilized. How it started, we don't know. It remains a fundamental characteristic and our most defining attribute as a species.

Back to the Lake Mungo findings... It's not just that we find evidence of cremation burial, it's the red ocher they used which is the key. This is an aesthetic material which was not available locally. They didn't just go out and bust open a rock and think... hmm, that's pretty, let me decorate this dead body with it. The red ocher had to be brought there from hundreds of miles away. That tells me it was an important thing and a special occasion when it was used. Truly, a ritualistic ceremony. So what practical or pragmatic reason would humans have to perform ritual ceremonies for the dead? It can only be spirituality.

So Boss, how do you think it all started? My opinion is, at some point, spiritual nature revealed itself to man and man became spiritually connected. Perhaps this is what enabled us to overcome fear of fire or create the first tools? I believe it stuck for the same reason it sticks around today... humans need to believe in something greater than self. It's our driving force... where we derive inspiration. Without it, we'd still be living in the trees picking our asses. That's my opinion.
Ahh, moving the goalposts. Now it's inherent since man was civilized. So spirituality is something we've learned along the way, making it NOT inherent. Thanks for clearing that up.

No.. that's been my claim all along. Before we were civilized, I don't know if humans were spiritual or even if they were totally humans. We didn't "learn it along the way" and I didn't say that. I told you what my opinion was but I don't know for sure what happened. It IS an inherent trait that has been with humans as long as humans have been civilized creatures. Or at least, as best we can tell, that seems to be the case. There is no evidence of when humans "invented" it.
So we mutated into spiritual beings? There's no proof of that.

I didn't say we "mutated" into anything. I gave my opinion and I told you it was my opinion and I couldn't prove it. I think at some point, humans became aware of a spiritual connection. How that came to be, I have no way of knowing. What I know for a fact is, at least 40,000 years ago, human beings were spiritual creatures. There has never been a human civilization discovered anywhere on the planet that didn't have some kind of spiritual belief.
So it's not inherent. Got it. Thanks.
No... it IS inherent. You're welcome!

Ahh, moving the goalposts. Now it's inherent since man was civilized. So spirituality is something we've learned along the way, making it NOT inherent. Thanks for clearing that up.

No.. that's been my claim all along. Before we were civilized, I don't know if humans were spiritual or even if they were totally humans. We didn't "learn it along the way" and I didn't say that. I told you what my opinion was but I don't know for sure what happened. It IS an inherent trait that has been with humans as long as humans have been civilized creatures. Or at least, as best we can tell, that seems to be the case. There is no evidence of when humans "invented" it.
So we mutated into spiritual beings? There's no proof of that.

I didn't say we "mutated" into anything. I gave my opinion and I told you it was my opinion and I couldn't prove it. I think at some point, humans became aware of a spiritual connection. How that came to be, I have no way of knowing. What I know for a fact is, at least 40,000 years ago, human beings were spiritual creatures. There has never been a human civilization discovered anywhere on the planet that didn't have some kind of spiritual belief.
So it's not inherent. Got it. Thanks.
No... it IS inherent. You're welcome!
You have nothing. Go get a clue.

List the ones that are more profound. :dunno:

Well, it's the oldest human settlement we've ever unearthed and it shows that humans were practicing spiritual beliefs. I think that's pretty profound, don't you agree?
Turkish Culture and Tourism Office Website - USA - The oldest known human settlement in the world!

Well you read yourself that Lake Mungo man and woman were 40k years old... so is 40,000 less than 8,500? :dunno:

Huh? How am I wrong because some Turkish tourism cite claims "the oldest settlement" when we both read about Lake Mungo man and woman who were 31,500 years OLDER? I mean... 8,500 years? That's getting close to the YEC claims, isn't it? Were the scientists WRONG at Lake Mungo??? :dunno:

Huh? How am I wrong because some Turkish tourism cite claims "the oldest settlement" when we both read about Lake Mungo man and woman who were 31,500 years OLDER? I mean... 8,500 years? That's getting close to the YEC claims, isn't it? Were the scientists WRONG at Lake Mungo??? :dunno:
You don't have to like it, but you're wrong. Move on.

YOU go get a clue, fuckhead! You're all over the board today! Next thing you know, you'll be showing me a Christian website that claims man was created 6k years ago! ANYTHING to refute what I've said!

:rofl:

YOU go get a clue, fuckhead! You're all over the board today! Next thing you know, you'll be showing me a Christian website that claims man was created 6k years ago! ANYTHING to refute what I've said!

When did you first realize that you had no clue, so you just make shit up?

When did you first realize that you had no clue, so you just make shit up?

You seem to be the only one making things up here. I am sticking with known facts.

I never said that spiritual belief didn't start at some point...

Well we both saw the evidence that it had to have started LONG before 8,500 years ago because 40k years ago they were performing ritual ceremonies to bury their dead!
I didn't say that either. I just pointed out that you were wrong about Mungo being the earliest civilization found, because you were wrong and you know it.

Well we both saw the evidence that it had to have started LONG before 8,500 years ago because 40k years ago they were performing ritual ceremonies to bury their dead!
I didn't say that either. I just pointed out that you were wrong about Mungo being the earliest civilization found, because you were wrong and you know it.

How was I wrong when you showed evidence of a civilization from 8,500 years ago?

Are you illiterate or something? Did you fail math? 40,000 is much older than 8,500! Are you claiming the Lake Mungo discovery is a hoax or something? Please explain!! :dunno:

How was I wrong when you showed evidence of a civilization from 8,500 years ago?

Are you illiterate or something? Did you fail math? 40,000 is much older than 8,500! Are you claiming the Lake Mungo discovery is a hoax or something? Please explain!! :dunno:
You said it was the oldest human civilization found. It's not, it doesn't qualify as a civilization. Suck it up crybaby.

You said it was the oldest human civilization found. It's not, it doesn't qualify as a civilization. Suck it up crybaby.

Now we're into a semantics thing again? You just don't fucking quit, do you? :dunno:

I think I originally said "settlement" but whatever. 40k predated 8.5k... even a moron can understand that. Regardless... BOTH examples show evidence of human spiritual belief.

Did you have a point?

Now we're into a semantics thing again? You just don't fucking quit, do you? :dunno:

I think I originally said "settlement" but whatever. 40k predated 8.5k... even a moron can understand that. Regardless... BOTH examples show evidence of human spiritual belief.

Did you have a point?
Fuck are you ever stupid. The first civilization was found to be dated to 6500 bc. Your 40k bones aren't considered to form a civilization, they're just a pile of bones. What's not to get? You're wrong again.

Did you have a point?
Fuck are you ever stupid. The first civilization was found to be dated to 6500 bc. Your 40k bones aren't considered to form a civilization, they're just a pile of bones. What's not to get? You're wrong again.

Well like I said, you're now relegated to arguing semantics. Humans have been spiritual for all of human civilization. We can go by your contention of civilization origin 6,500 BC or the Lake Mungo settlements from 40k years ago. Both show humans were spiritual. So petty arguing over semantics is irrelevant to the point. Either way, humans are still inherently spiritual creatures.

Forum List

Back