Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

People do tend to overdo PC at times.
How can you be too PC if you are trying to communicate with someone?
Too concerned with a person's race. gender, sexual orientation than dealing with them as a person.
Give me an example.
Someone bending over backwards to agree with you because you are Black, instead of honestly dealing with you as a person and giving you their opinion, although it might not click with what you believe. Like bleeding heart liberals.
Thats not PC. Thats simply lying. PC is being honest but polite.

PC example....I disagree with your interpretation of what spice is needed to make Tandoori Chicken.
Non PC....You're an idiot. Thats not what you fucking use to make Tandoori Chicken.

Which one do you think is more conducive to further conversation?
You are actually wrong.
Non PC: I disagree with your interpretation of what spice is needed to make Tandoori Chicken.
PC: I have an alternate belief system as to how to prepare a tortured, factory produced avian species using an asian subcontinental open combustion food preparation method.

How can you be too PC if you are trying to communicate with someone?
Too concerned with a person's race. gender, sexual orientation than dealing with them as a person.
Give me an example.
Someone bending over backwards to agree with you because you are Black, instead of honestly dealing with you as a person and giving you their opinion, although it might not click with what you believe. Like bleeding heart liberals.

PC example....I disagree with your interpretation of what spice is needed to make Tandoori Chicken.
Non PC....You're an idiot. Thats not what you fucking use to make Tandoori Chicken.

You are actually wrong.
Non PC: I disagree with your interpretation of what spice is needed to make Tandoori Chicken.
PC: I have an alternate belief system as to how to prepare a tortured, factory produced avian species using an asian subcontinental open combustion food preparation method.
Who told you I was wrong? I hope you dont expect me to take your word for it? Tell me...do you have some other understanding of the term PC?

Since the definition of "PC" favored by the author of this mindless thread is simply false (and rather conveniently so), anyone with a different definition has a vastly superior chance of being right.

Since the definition of "PC" favored by the author of this mindless thread is simply false (and rather conveniently so), anyone with a different definition has a vastly superior chance of being right.
Or a vastly superior chance of not being able to answer the question.

No. You mean simply that you will reject the answer.

But that's not the same thing. (1 + 1 = 2 despite your rejection of that equation, you see.)

Since your daffynition of PC is just so much horse shit, however, you will never find any rational answer acceptable to you.

words identify people. oookeeaeee

going with dillo's example... if a drowning guy who happens to be black, stands to be rescued by dillo, if dillo feels the need to sling a slur in the moment, i'm sure the black guy would still be grateful for his life and get along with dillo...

which is beside the point of why would anyone not avoid using that term?

why communicate on those terms.. in that situation.. or ever?

A better example would be if Dillo saw a black guy drowning and rushed over to the local lifeguard and said, "OMG, Help, there is a black guy drowning!".

And the life guard, said "Black Guy? That's pretty racist of you. African American is the correct terminology. I find it hard to believe that a bigot like you really care abouts some African American who is supposedly having trouble swimming. YOu know that most people who drown are white, you racist?"

Dillo: "WTF! I'm not racist, I was just pointing out who was drowning to help you find him in the crowd!"

Lifeguard: "Haters got to hate."

Dillo "Never mind, he's not drowning anymore. He's dead because you're political correct."

Lifeguardm"Political Correctness is just a lie told by racists and bigots because they are tired of being called on their racism and bigotry."

DIllo " I AM NOT RACIST!"

LifeGuard "Denial is proof, run along Klan boy."
Nice fantasy. Dillo said ******, not black guy, and your episode above would never happen.

That episode if FAR, FAR closer to what Political Correctness is and the way it is used, than anything you lefties have been honest enough to admit.

Never? LOL, ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

what is the lie exactly?
Being careful of words used that MIGHT offend someone.

being careful not to offend others goes against your nature?
Oy. Fuck off. I have no desire to converse with someone that wants to twist my words.

Agreed. Valerie is being very dishonest here.

not at all, liar...

first of all, no one is FORCING anyone not to say the n word. that premise is your first lie.

decent people frown upon using the n word, it's true. that bothers some people but not me.

i've never felt compelled to sling the n word slur...

so not slinging the n word, doesn't make me feel dishonest or "not myself" as gracie and others lamented.

you feel dishonest and not your self because you refrained from slinging a slur, so sling it, no one is stopping you.

those around you will think you're a jackass but you are perfectly free to be a jackass.

your biggest lie in this thread is repeatedly ignoring what it means to conflate the PC term.

the broad spectrum of the nebulous "PC" label can go from silliness all the way to excusing vile things.

vile things like slinging the n word as a pejorative...

I am "conflating" nothing. I am honestly describing what and how Political Correctness is.

That is the LEAST of PC.

no, people hide behind the PC term and point at silly stuff, while also excusing vile things cuz PC!

we have presidential candidates using the PC term to excuse torture, for example.

disgusting leadership is disgusting...

Your pretense that those who complain about PC are "excusing vile things" is bullshit.

You benefit from PC because it has been very useful in advancing and defending the LIB agenda when the Lib Agenda could not honestly be defended.

Give me an example.

You are actually wrong.
Who told you I was wrong? I hope you dont expect me to take your word for it? Tell me...do you have some other understanding of the term PC?
Well let's see.

Your use of the word "disagree" is combative and suggests my views are not as important as yours which I find hurtful. You have invaded my safe space.
Tandoori is not a spice it's a cooking technique used primarily in India, oops I mean a south asian subcontinent artificially engineered political entity.
The word chicken carries with it connotations of cowardice which diminishes the self perception of an avian species. I am so tired of your hurtful anti - gallus gallus domesticusism.

PC is like gun control except its word control.

not really. there is no law you can't carelessly sling slurs, dillo. so, go for it.

Just in the sense that some people want to ban certain words and change the meaning of others as if they were in charge of the English language in America.

our society is free to set common decency standards in the free market.

the truth is, people are free to express themselves using any words they like.

others are also free to have an opinion of your free expression...

if you're a public figure who calls someone a fucking faggot, people are going to have an opinion.

Which has nothing to do with the way Political Correctness is used to attack people for no reason or just because they disagree with you and to control the conversation when you can't honestly defend your positions or agenda.

what is it that compels people to conflate this nebulous cliche? :eusa_think:

The cliché term political correctness or "PC" is a snarl word usually referring to upholding a social taboo against language and attitudes that might be considered offensive and/or stupid.[1] This loaded term has become a boogey-man for the right-wing, who use it to tar anything that runs contrary to their own policies, such as letting women out of the kitchen or gays out of the closet.

In full irony, conservatives have also adopted political correctness widely; trying to justify censorship on the grounds that something is "offensive to Christians," for example, or Conservapedia's insistence on BC/AD to the total exclusion of BCE/CE.

In fact, it's probably helpful to remember that in common parlance anything a conservative would consider to be polite speech isn't PC, whereas anything a liberal would consider to be polite speech is. This is why banning the "f-word" from broadcast is neutral and not PC at all, whereas banning a racial epithet from broadcast is.[5]

As above, passive-aggressive people who defend racism or reactionary views and but don't want to be labeled that way attack dissenters as "politically correct."[6]

Political correctness - RationalWiki

Bullshit.

are you offended because you wanted to be considered some sort of authority?

I'm annoyed because we have gone well past that lame ass definition a long time ago.

By ignoring all that has already be said that contradicts that lameness, and simply restating your self serving bullshit, you are engaged in the Logical Fallacy of Proof by Assertion.

who understands the meaning of a "loaded term" ?

5543051.jpg

I understand it perfectly, and it has nothing to do with this topic.

Political Correctness is not hated because of it's terminology or some false meaning associated with it.

It is hated because of what it is and the way it is used by libs.

As Mac and I have defined and shown very, very well. (with your help Valerie)

Political correctness is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity.
And what about all the liberals linked to in Post 742?

Are they closet conservatives?
I have no idea who you're talking about, or how it relates to my statement. How about using your own words to counter my position rather than requiring me to read numerous articles written by someone else.

Mac has repeatedly used his own words to describe PC and how it is used.

HIs link is to quite a few libs who have admitted that PC exists and that it is used as Mac says.

I have, with Valerie's help demonstrated this right in this thread.

Political correctness is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity.
And what about all the liberals linked to in Post 742?

Are they closet conservatives?
I have no idea who you're talking about, or how it relates to my statement.
Oh, okay, I'll try to make this easier.

Just go to Post 742. It provides a nice, long list of articles by honest liberals who not only admit that PC exists, but that it has gone too far.

Lots of helpful examples!

You said PC "is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity", yet those links prove you wrong, as they are by liberals. THEY call it PC.

Are you going to continue to be obtuse, or are you going to answer my question - are those liberals closet conservatives then?
I could care less what other liberals think. I state my own opinion. That's all. Try and have a discussion without insults. It's a great exercise on a political forum

you are coming into a discussion on page 78. YOu might want to consider what has been going on up to that point.

Oh, okay, I'll try to make this easier.

Just go to Post 742. It provides a nice, long list of articles by honest liberals who not only admit that PC exists, but that it has gone too far.

Lots of helpful examples!

You said PC "is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity", yet those links prove you wrong, as they are by liberals. THEY call it PC.

Are you going to continue to be obtuse, or are you going to answer my question - are those liberals closet conservatives then?
I could care less what other liberals think. I state my own opinion. That's all. Try and have a discussion without insults. It's a great exercise on a political forum
Okay, I tried.

Full disclosure, I wasn't expecting a straight answer, I never do.
Try giving your own straight answer instead of requiring people to read a multitude of links. Can you write your own persuasive essay?

Bull. Mac did it pretty well. And concisely. The CLAIM that the term "PC" is a conservative construct is refuted when so many LIBERALS admit that it has gone too far.

See? Not that hard to follow.
PC is a term people use who want to justify being rude or insensitive to others. That behavior doesn't relate to political party or political leaning at all.

Of courrse, it's just my opinion

That is what people who use PC say in order to hide what they are actually doing.

It is a lie.

i wasn't following along cuz i'm busy at work...
He was claiming that if he used the term midget I would understand what he meant. I assumed he could read minds and asked him what I was thinking which of course he couldnt answer.

what i'm saying is what if you are a midget, first of all..or related to one.. or just feel compelled to defend vulnerable minorities from the language of insensitive bullies..

replace the word midget with all manner of slurs and then wonder how the heck does disregarding others wishes help with the ideal communication he supposedly seeks?

once you know people find a particular term offensive, why would anyone go out of their way to disregard and insult others, if ideal communication is what they truly seek...

He was not "going out of his way to insult anyone".

Do you think that Asclepias knew what was meant by the term "Midget"?
Doesnt really matter what anyone thinks. I've already proven that the same word can and does mean different things to different people. Anyone with an above 5th grade educational level is aware of that.

No one buys that crap except the libs who are too dishonest to admit that they use PC to attack people for no good reason and to control the conversation so they can defend and advance policies they cannot defend or advance honestly.

The PC tactic of calling someone racist, intolerant or bigoted when that person says something to offend the tender sensibilities of the PC crowd is avoidance of the discussion

calling something a "PC tactic" is just a way of excusing bigotry and thinking no one should call you on it.

You assume that everything that offends the PC crowd is indeed bigotry

I assume that people treating each other decently is only an issue if one is a bigot or a whining child with no self-control
Do not confuse politeness with political correctness one has nothing to do with the other

the whole "political correctness" thing is largely cover for bigotry and insensitivity.... which is not to say that it doesn't go too far sometimes.

but the same people who whine about "political correctness" are the first ones to go into melt down if starbucks uss a red cup

Bullshit.

That has been repeatedly addressed in this thread. And shown by Valeria to be false.

Forum List

Back