Why is climate science political?

dwight-howard-slam-dunk-3.jpg

Obviously the only solution is to give government even more control over our economy.

And this is happening...where?

How does investing more in nuclear and tidal mean "more control over our economy"?

Which countries do you mean?

In the UK? Germany?

This is happening everywhere the government gives taxpayers money to a green energy firm.
This is happening everywhere a carbon tax is enacted to "stop the warming".
Anytime cap and trade is enacted.
This is happening when Obama decides CAFE standards should be raised to 35.5 MPG in 2016.
And then raises them again to 54.5 MPG in 2025.
Obama said, the first time he ran, that he wants to bankrupt new coal plants.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpTIhyMa-Nw]Obama's Promise the Bankrupt the Coal Industry - YouTube[/ame]

Not a reliable source like fictionalized Hockey Sticks?

No - a reliable source like the 800+ peer reviewed research papers confirming the role of human acitivity in climate change that you refuse to look at.

Really - do you think anyone cares about something because it was in an Al Gore film? I couldn't give a shit what Gore thinks, or about the hockey stick, and I doubt anyone else does either.

This is happening everywhere the government gives taxpayers money to a green energy firm.

OK - but is it also happening everywhere the government gives money to a coal firm?

How about a nuclear power station?

No money should go into tidal energy because it might be green?

Jesus wept...

The warmists keep claiming the science is settled.

What on earth are you talking about?

Who claimed that?

Where are your links to back that up?

Lawrence Solomon: Science getting settled | FP Comment | Financial Post

Sagan: Ignore global warming at our risk | Amarillo Globe-News

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oc2YvLmPQs]Obama says the science is settled - Copenhagen Climate Change Conference - YouTube[/ame]

The Science Is Still Settled

What's Settled & Unsettled in Current Climate Change Science? : TreeHugger

Not a reliable source like fictionalized Hockey Sticks?

No - a reliable source like the 800+ peer reviewed research papers confirming the role of human acitivity in climate change that you refuse to look at.

Really - do you think anyone cares about something because it was in an Al Gore film? I couldn't give a shit what Gore thinks, or about the hockey stick, and I doubt anyone else does either.

But none of them "confirm" any such thing. Not one.

Lying about what the "peer reviewed" "studies" "confirm" is a piss-poor way to "prove" your claim.

Falsified data is a huge problem for you alarmists. It really is. But don't feel obligated to even address it.

OK - but is it also happening everywhere the government gives money to a coal firm?

Jesus wept...

Where is the government giving money to a coal firm?
Certainly Obama is doing no such thing.

from bfgrn's post-

the concensus climate scientists have been actively speading misinformation and suppressing inconvenient data for years as is made clear in the climategate I&II emails. which is worse? I think that being lied to by those that you trust is more harmful than those that are the outside opinion. another question; which is worse, the scientist that is willing to lie because he thinks the ends justify the means, or the other scientists that refuse to point out the lie because they fear for their professional standing? how many other scientists were willing to publically lambast Mann and the hockey team other than Muller?

Let me ask you ONE question...do you believe that oil, coal and auto industries are merely benign observers sitting on the sidelines hoping their billion dollar industries are not regulated?

The oil, coal and auto industries are not regulated? When did that happen?

Dishonest obfuscation. Do you believe that oil, coal and auto industries are merely benign observers sitting on the sidelines or actively spreading propaganda that makes them billions of dollars?

They have taken the same tact big tobacco used when they denied the link between smoking and cancer, using many of the same institutions and pseudo-scientists.

But according to right wing morons, their beloved polluters and cartels are just victims.

Jesus wept...

We, the People, who are government at ALL levels are actually losing money because of coal in states like Kentucky.

The right wing regressives in America will find any excuse to cower to the dirty energy cartels.

Coal actually COSTS Kentucky taxpayers more than they take in cowering to big coal

coal-header_02.gif

The Impact of Coal on the Kentucky State Budget
Executive Summary

Rapid and dramatic changes in the world’s approach to energy have major implications for Kentucky and its coal industry. Concerns about climate change are driving policy that favors cleaner energy sources and increases the price of fossil fuels. The transition to sustainable forms of energy is becoming a major economic driver, and states are moving aggressively to develop, produce and install the energy technologies of the future. Long reliant on coal for jobs and electricity, Kentucky faces major challenges and difficult choices in the coming years.

These energy challenges come in the midst of Kentucky’s state fiscal crisis and sluggish economic performance. The gap between Kentucky’s revenues and expenditures makes it increasingly difficult to sustain existing public services. A recent University of Kentucky report notes that Kentucky ranks 44th among states in per capita income, just as in 1970, while other southern states like North Carolina and Georgia have out-performed the Commonwealth in recent years.1 Eastern Kentucky still includes 20 of the 100 poorest counties in the United States measured by median household income.2

In this critical energy, fiscal and economic context, it is increasingly important for Kentuckians to understand the role and impact of coal in our state. Coal provides economic benefits including jobs, low electricity rates and tax revenue. But the coal industry also imposes a number of costs ranging from regulatory and public infrastructure expenses to environmental and health impacts.

Coal and the Budget

The Impact of Coal on the Kentucky State Budget tells one aspect of the story of coal’s costs and benefits. The report provides an analysis of the industry’s fiscal impact by estimating the tax revenues generated by coal and the state expenditures associated with supporting the industry. We estimate for Fiscal Year 2006 Kentucky provided a net subsidy of nearly $115 million to the coal industry (see Figure 1).

Fiscal-Impact-Summary.gif

Coal is responsible for an estimated $528 million in state revenues and $643 million in state expenditures. The $528 million in revenues includes $224 million from the coal severance tax and revenues from the corporate income, individual income, sales, property (including unmined minerals) and transportation taxes as well as permit fees. The $643 million in estimated expenditures includes $239 million to address the industry’s impacts on the coal haul road system as well as expenditures to regulate the environmental and health and safety impacts of coal, support coal worker training, conduct research and development for the coal industry, promote education about coal in the public schools and support the residents directly and indirectly employed by coal. Total costs also include $85 million in tax expenditures designed to subsidize the mining and burning of coal.

More

Jesus wept...

I was wondering, Toadsterretard, just when were you declared officially braindead?

Government Funding and Loans for Coal Plants and Infrastructure
(excerpts)

A 2010 report by Synapse Energy Economics, "Phasing Out Federal Subsidies for Coal" found the U.S. federal government provides billions of dollars in subsidies for the coal industry. The report was written by Lucy Johnston (Synapse Energy Economics), Lisa Hamilton (Rockefeller Family Fund), Mark Kresowik (Sierra Club), Tom Sanzillo (TR Rose Associates), and David Schlissel (Schlissel Technical Consulting) and was released on April 13, 2010.

The report identifies four major areas where taxpayer money continues to fund the construction, expansion, and life extension of coal-fired power plants, thus acting as federal coal subsidies:

1) Financial support for the World Bank and other international financial institutions that finance fossil fuel use and extraction;
2) U.S. Treasury Department’s backing of tax exempt bonds and Build America Bonds for use in the electric sector;
3) U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Utilities Service provision of loans, loan guarantees and lien accommodations to power companies that are investing in new or existing coal plants;
4) Tax credits, loans and loan guarantees through the U.S. Department of Energy

How can you not know this?

Coal power in the United States accounted for 42% of the country's electricity production in 2011.[1] Utilities buy more than 90 percent of the coal mined in the United States.[2]

In 2009, there were 1436 coal-powered units at the electrical utilities across the US, with the total nominal capacity of 338.732 GW[3] (compared to 1024 units at nominal 278 GW in 2000).

Coal power in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the vast majority of papers are simply collections of data that can, and have been, used by both sides. until 2000 the paradigm was that the medieval warm period was real and warmer than today. people have noticed, and measured, the glacier and icecap retreat for more than 150 years. sea level rise has been documented for over 100 years and it has remained steady at ~2mm/year. thermometers have have recorded temps for the last 150 years but it has only been the one-sided adjustments of the last 12 years that have made the increase look disproportionate.

the last 30 years has seen the rise of computer models (a good thing), but they have been given far to much credence and claims of accuracy far beyond their capability (a bad thing). the inputs and assumptions for those climate models are incomplete and contrary to the real world. solar is considered insignificant and feedbacks are considered positive contrary to just about every natural system there is.

you have been told one side of the story and it sounded reasonable so you believed it. I have listened to both sides of the story and I dont particularly believe either. I dont know how old you are but I was around for the ice age scare of the 70's. it all made sense and seemed reasonable then too. nature doesnt give a fig about what we believe or how pretty our theories are. the difference between the doomsday forecasts then and now is that this time mankind is being blamed, it is a hook to gain power over our lifestyles that politicians cant resist.

Excellent comments, Ian - I really enjoyed reading that.

I agree with a lot of what you say, and certainly credit you with having given this matter some thought.

The thing I would disagree with is that "you have been told one side of the story".

Much of what I believe about climate is about what I have seen with my own eyes. I've seen the flooding in Bangladesh, the deseritification in Spain and Australia, the glacial melt in New Zealand and Argentina. I've seen rising sea levels in Mozambique and experienced rapidly changing winters here in Finland.

In each case I've talked to locals, and heard their first hand stories on how their community has changed.

I think the problem sceptics have is often based on a very limited perspective - that if I can't see rising sea levels from my window, therefore sea levels are not rising. But actually, they are rising, and you can go and talk to people whose homes are being eroded year after year.

My views of climate change are heavily influenced by scientific opinion, but only because it fits what I see in Spain and Australia.

My experiance, direct and personal, is with the glaciers and timberlines in the Cascades, Blues, Sierra Nevadas, and the Rockies. In all of these, we see rising timberlines, and rapidly receding and disappearing glaciers. Shorter winters, more heat and fires in the summer. In fact, a much longer fire season. Bug infestations that are greater than any we have experianced before in the timber. People that I have talked to from other parts of the world are seeing these same things to greater and lessor degrees, depending on where they are from. I have yet to talk to anyone that is saying that they are seeing cooling in any area of appreciable size over the last few decades.

Now the only thing left is to make the connection between the warming and the CO2 and explain how CO2 works within the climate system and why it seems to be such a weak forcer.

Obviously the only solution is to give government even more control over our economy.

And this is happening...where?

How does investing more in nuclear and tidal mean "more control over our economy"?

Which countries do you mean?

In the UK? Germany?

I think he's talking about the recommendations to implement Cap and Trade and all of the other Carbon Credit schemes.

Jesus wept...

If it is a proven technology, then guaranteeing a loan would be a prudent thing for the benefitting local government to do.

Allocatting billions to be squandered at the Federal level is an exercise in pay offs, graft and corruption.

The closer the subsidizers are to the subsidized, the lower the chances that corruption will occur.

Let me ask you ONE question...do you believe that oil, coal and auto industries are merely benign observers sitting on the sidelines hoping their billion dollar industries are not regulated?

The oil, coal and auto industries are not regulated? When did that happen?

Dishonest obfuscation. Do you believe that oil, coal and auto industries are merely benign observers sitting on the sidelines or actively spreading propaganda that makes them billions of dollars?

They have taken the same tact big tobacco used when they denied the link between smoking and cancer, using many of the same institutions and pseudo-scientists.

But according to right wing morons, their beloved polluters and cartels are just victims.

Can you produce a link to your examples? There must be plenty. You talk about them all the time.

Saigon- have you followed the latest back and forth over the Yamal FOI? have you found a way to support the cherry-picking of data that went into a proxy data set that is a significant portion of most or the hockey stick shaped temperature reconstructions?

f

Not particularly - given there are now more than 800 peer reviewed scientific papers available on climate change, focusing on one you seem to have found a problem with seems like learning about a Ford Mustang by examining only the distributor cap.

Secondly, the 'hockey stick' to me was less an accurate scientific statement than an alaogy that the non-science public could easily understand. At that level I thought it was fine.

Taking it too literally never seemed terribly clever to me.

it seems to me that whenever you are shown to be less than correct you simply show distain for the 'one' instance, and then want to change the subject to something else.

someone else, Myles Allen, has been doing the same thing lately.
Professor Myles Allen - Climate Change: So Last Decade - YouTube

at least Allen had the fortitude to respond when his hypocrisy was commented on
[url=http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2012/5/26/myles-allen-writes.html]- Bishop Hill blog - Myles Allen*writes

and of course that response brought another, this time from an IPCC reviewer that wanted Mann98,99 and the hockey stick graph out of AR4-
Myles Allen and a New Trick to Hide-the-Decline « Climate Audit
Myles Allen has written here blaming Bishop Hill for “keeping the public focussed on irrelevancies” like the Hockey Stick:

My fear is that by keeping the public focussed on irrelevancies, you are excluding them from the discussion of what we should do about climate change
But it’s not Bishop Hill that Myles Allen should be criticizing; it’s John Houghton who more or less made the Hockey Stick the logo of the IPCC. Mann was told that IPCC higher-ups wanted a visual that didn’t “dilute the message” and they got one: they deleted the last part of the Briffa reconstruction – Hide the Decline. If, as Allen now says, it’s an “irrelevancy”, then Houghton and IPCC should not have used it so prominently. And they should not have encouraged or condoned sharp practice like Hide the Decline.

In the run-up to AR4, I suggested that, if the topic was “irrelevant”, as some climate scientists have said, then IPCC should exclude it from the then AR4. Far from trying to keep the topic alive in AR4, I suggested that it be deleted altogether. I guess that there was a “consensus” otherwise. If Allen wants to complain, then he should first criticize IPCC.

the damage done by the hockey stick graph is immense, and simply ignoring it will not repair the damage. the warmers have already sucked out enormous amounts of publicity from it but now that it has been proven as a fraud they want to just stop talking about it and the scandals that should be made public.

You idiotic denier cultists cling to your propaganda driven myths no matter how many times both you and your myths are shown to be full of BS. The hockey stick graph, far from being "proven a fraud", has been verified and independently reproduced by numerous other climate scientists using different proxy data and different statistical methods. In spite of the denier cult's moronic denial of the facts, there really is an unprecedented abrupt warming trend in the latter part of the twentieth century that exceeds the limits of natural variation. This fact manifests as the observed melting of the Arctic ice cap, the Greenland ice sheets, West Antarctica, and the mountain glaciers of the world, the changing of seasonal timing, species migration, an increase in the rate of sea level rise, warming oceans, and numerous other physical evidence.

Climate myths: The 'hockey stick' graph has been proven wrong

False Claims by McIntyre and McKitrick regarding the Mann et al. (1998) reconstruction

Hockey stick or hockey league?
(excerpts)

Hockey_League_emissions.gif

Figure 1: Human carbon dioxide emissions, measured in million metric tonnes of carbon (CDIAC).
The dramatic increase in CO2 emissions is matched by a steep rise in atmospheric CO2 levels. CO2 levels have risen around 40% since pre-industrial levels and currently sit at around 396 parts per million, a level unseen for at least 15 million years (Tripati 2009).
Hockey_League_CO2.gif

Figure 2: Atmospheric CO2 concentration. (Green - Law Dome, East Antarctica and Purple - Mauna Loa, Hawaii).

Climate forcing is a change in the planet’s energy balance - when our climate builds up or loses heat. There are various climate forcings that drive global temperature change - variations in solar output, aerosol levels and carbon dioxide have been the major drivers of long-term climate change over the last 1000 years. The combined climate forcing from these effects shows a familiar shape.
Hockey_League_forcing.gif

Figure 3: Combined radiative forcing from solar variations, carbon dioxide and aerosols - volcanoes are omitted (Crowley 2000).

The increase in positive climate forcing means our climate has been building up heat in recent times. Consequently, we see the corresponding shape in Northern Hemisphere land temperature:
Hockey_League_temp.gif

Figure 4: Northern hemisphere temperature reconstruction (Moberg et al 2005) plus a 5 year average of instrumental measurements of northern hemisphere land temperature (CRUTemp).

Over the last decade, a number of independent studies have reconstructed temperature over the last 1000 years, using a multitude of different proxy data and various data analysis techniques. They all tell a similar story.
Hockey_League_spaghetti.gif

Figure 5: Various northern hemisphere temperature reconstructions (Mann et al 2008).

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back