Why is Liberal Radio Such a Flop?

As I posted a few days ago, Radio Streaming has Michael Savage creaming Rush, Hannity, Levin and others.
I will listen to Savage, Andy Dean or Thom Hartmann until they discuss an issue to death.
I can listen to Randi Rhoades until every road she takes leads to Obama being the most brilliant president in US history (which he is not).
I cannot listen to the mentally handicapped Hannity, the hypocrite Levin or Rush discussing the merits of American Exceptionalism being defined as using Asian human beings for slave labor.

Apps and Streaming Radio will expose truth of the ratings.

Liberal radio is a flop? I take it then you believe that National Public Radio isn't liberal,

because it has 2 shows in the top 4.

If NPR is so successful, why does it take taxpayer money? Why not let the free market support it? Taxpayers don't need to pay for liberal content. Perhaps you lefties would like taxpayers to fund Limbaugh and Beck. Now that's a true fairness doctrine,

One day the rightwing nuts are crying about the domination of the 'liberal' media, the next day they're crowing about how much conservatism dominates radio.

And the next day they'll be bragging up Foxnews' ratings.

So which is it?

Because radio is a medium that requires you to actually "sell your product" to an engaged audience.

Talking about tree hugging and and tingles up your leg and the plight of homos isn't really that interesting.

Should we prevent toxins from entering our air and waters? Yes.
Should the Government discriminate against gays? No.

Are either of these issues really that important with the NSA, NDAA, Ukraine and the near-Civil-War that almost spewed out of the Bundy Ranch crisis? No, not really. We have bigger fish to fry.

Let the counties and local towns handle the homosexual and environmental issues, where they are handled best.

Last edited:
Liberal radio is a flop? I take it then you believe that National Public Radio isn't liberal,

If NPR is so successful, why does it take taxpayer money? Why not let the free market support it? Taxpayers don't need to pay for liberal content. Perhaps you lefties would like taxpayers to fund Limbaugh and Beck. Now that's a true fairness doctrine,

I don't care if they cut off NPR. Government contributions only make up 4% of their budget anyway.As a liberal, I have been asking the same question you have. I send them a check every year. They don't need government funding, and it should be cut off.

Bombastic and conspiratorial deliveries such as those offered up by Rush "pass the oxycodone" Limbaugh and Glenn "the sky is falling" Beck do not appeal to anyone who thinks. We Liberals seem to prefer National Public Radio where the news is filled with facts, not editorializations, the programs are fun and informative rather than alarms about conspiracies and the conversation is multisyllabic and stimulating.

Ever notice how Right Wing radio plays on themes of militarization and violence? Rush broadcasts from his "Southern Command". A local host claims he is broadcasting from "The War Room". Makes me wonder if any other theme could possibly appeal to the modern Conservative.

Actually right wing radio substance seems to avoid violence and militarization. Maybe those concepts are the left wing radio's problems. How can people trust a radio network (NPR) that starts with the word "National" as in politically funded?

One day the rightwing nuts are crying about the domination of the 'liberal' media, the next day they're crowing about how much conservatism dominates radio.

So which is it?

Because radio is a medium that requires you to actually "sell your product" to an engaged audience.

ENGAGED?
I can't remember the last time one of my friends who used to "listen" to "White Noise" Rush in their car actually recalled one thing he said.

Everybody knows Hannity is a "Great American"; It's just that nobody can answer my question of what makes Hannity Great.

ENGAGED?
I can't remember the last time one of my friends who used to "listen" to "White Noise" Rush in their car actually recalled one thing he said.

Everybody knows Hannity is a "Great American"; It's just that nobody can answer my question of what makes Hannity Great.

I happen to listen to the Classical Music on NPR every day and even past midnight when my catering job lets us out, and I often sing along in the baritone range where I can.

I cannot recall the specific selections or even the composers that were premiered today, nor yesterday, nor the the day before.

Does this mean I'm not engaged?

Bear in mind that I know the name of composition and the composer of practically every selection on NPR within the first two measures.

Last edited:
There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.
Any other logical reasons?

It's called revenue > corporate advertisers.

Corporations don't want to advertise for a radio station that advocates increasing their taxes and regulations. This is why corporations prefer to invest in the Right, and why they only invest in the Left when they have no choice. It's also why the GOP is primarily the party of corporate welfare. Corporations don't invest in the Right for nothing - they pay handsomely for FOX and Limbaugh to confuse Americans about who really owns government.

Clinton understood that the Left could not remain viable without corporate funding, which is why he ditched Labor and courted Wall Street - a move which had terrible consequences.

Last edited:

Because it's non-commercial, dumbfuck.

Because it's non-commercial, dumbfuck.

you're pwned s0n!!:D

Like 17 people listen to PBS.

Liberal radio doesn't catch because liberals already know how stupid their positions are, and don't like to be reminded that their ideology is a joke and they are frauds, just trying to stay in with the "hip" crowds, knowing they're idiots.

There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.

I think you already touched on it (in bold).

Your term "flop" refers in broadcasting to ratings, which is used to set ad rates. Ratings are derived from emotion, especially that involving conflict. If you've got a guy on the air who, say, attacks the daughter of the POTUS as the White House dog or starts yelling "SLUT! SLUT! SLUT!", you have drama, and listeners tune in for drama and conflict. That's how you get ratings. Talk all day about real or imagined (doesn't matter which) scandals, conspiracy theories, dichotomies of "good" versus "evil" and "us" versus "them" and watch your ad rates soar.

OTOH if you have a dry voice just saying truthful things, they may be true but it's boring in terms of LCD mass appeal. Audiences are drawn to drama, not facts.

Ratings measure attention, and attention is achieved through hair-on-fire emotion and morality plays. Doesn't matter if they're real or entirely made up. Nobody watches NASCAR to see who wins; they watch for the wrecks.

Logical enough for ya?

Last edited:
Liberal radio doesn't catch because liberals already know how stupid their positions are, and don't like to be reminded that their ideology is a joke and they are frauds, just trying to stay in with the "hip" crowds, knowing they're idiots.

Ideology doesn't even enter into it. If you think ratings are some kind of "vote" on approval or disapproval of what's on the air, you're very naïve.

See previous post.

In a black and white world, where everything and every attitude is either Conservative or it's wrong, perhaps Liberal radio is everything that Conservative radio is not. That would leave several success stories.

Define "Liberal Radio Failure".

So which is it?

Except I'm not crowing about anything. I simply posited the reality about Lib talk radio and you squealed like a stuck pig. Perhaps Dems should dump the jackass and do the pig instead.

Last edited:

I don't care if they cut off NPR. Government contributions only make up 4% of their budget anyway.As a liberal, I have been asking the same question you have. I send them a check every year. They don't need government funding, and it should be cut off.

Which is good of you but doesn't explain why Lib talk radio is such an abject failure. Why are Lib talk shows so boring that they fail the free market test?

Last edited:

So which is it?

ENGAGED?

Perhaps but none of that explains why Lib talk radio so sucks that it doesn't survive the litmus test.

Forum List

Back