Why is Liberal Radio Such a Flop?

the progressive agenda is failing

record welfare and food stamps isnt "forward progress"

idiots and hypocrites
Does the Republican party have a realistic alternative to record food stamps and welfare? "Get a job"? Is that all that Republican can come up with? The jobs are in China and the job creators are making record profits. Record profits plus record welfare doesn't mean that Liberal policies are failing, it means that "trickle-down" theory is failing.

Why is Liberal Radio such a flop? Because the vast majority of Americans do not enjoy being harangued, condescended to, and insulted.

are you sure about that? every obama speech is an insult to the intelligence of the vast majority of Americans

Really? So what does that mean for, um, speeches like this?

"Throughout our history, the words of the Declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores. These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation of more than 300 people."—Charlottesville, Va., July 4, 2008

Please don't make me say who made that speech. Please.

dont tell me leftard; a Navy corpseman said it?

Liberals are idealists, they don't want to hear the facts, they just want to simplify the issues down to right or wrong according to their ideology. Thus, the need to fully understand an issue is irrelevant, they just operate like the pussy brigade and have knee jerk reactions.

And what does the right want to hear? Whatever Darrell Issa and Rush tell them? Yup.

Did you hear Rush LimpBalls trying to defend Donald Sterling? Said it was all that woman's fault. Hilarious. And his lapdog audience just ate it up. You lap out of the same foul bowl?

LOL...I don't listen to el rushbo, I think for myself. You are right, conservative radio can be boorish...and those who listen for talking points are lemmings. But, with that said, there are many who listen to talk radio to learn more about a particular topic. Regretfully, liberals don't need to know facts beyond what they already believe and know.

From what I see among liberals and conservatives...a conservative is more likely to disagree with a fellow conservative than a liberal is to disagree with a fellow liberal. That, IMO, is the result of getting all of the facts and making independent decisions as opposed to blindly following an ideology.

You mean Libs don't need to know facts beyond what they think they know and if my experience here is any indication, I get as much blowback from Cons as I do from Libs.
Guess I'm doing something right, eh? :meow:

It's very simple. It's the same reason liberal cable news like cnn and MSNBC is a flop. Liberals, the base of the Democratic party, are the willfully uninformed voter. They rather not watch the news and instead watch so-called reality TV. They get their news from Jon Stewart or the Jersey Shore.

With radio they would rather listen to music than talk radio.

Conservatives on the other hand rather stay informed and be mindful of what is going on in the world. Therefore they watch news at home and listen to talk radio in the car!

You've obviously never watched Jon Stewart.

left-wing morons actually think Stewart is real news

what an idiot you are

And you've obviously never watched his show, either.

And I doubt you've ever read anything by Mark Twain or understood the value of Will Rogers commentary, either.

the progressive agenda is failing

record welfare and food stamps isnt "forward progress"

idiots and hypocrites
Does the Republican party have a realistic alternative to record food stamps and welfare? "Get a job"? Is that all that Republican can come up with? The jobs are in China and the job creators are making record profits. Record profits plus record welfare doesn't mean that Liberal policies are failing, it means that "trickle-down" theory is failing.

my bad moron; get a job wont work; there are no jobs in the obamaconomy

what an idiot you are

you'll get more news out of a half hour of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart than you will 3 hours of Sean Hannity. between ads for whatever identity theft protection they're shilling for, jabbering with the support staff, the 13,000th time a montage of silly things liberals have said is played, introductions, bumper music, and callers thanking them for taking their calls (and then the calls themselves) by the time you throw in regular commercials and news breaks there isn't a lot of real, original content in an hour of talk radio.

sounds like you tune in on a regular basis

thanks genius!

i never said i didn't enjoy it. everyone has their guilty pleasures. some people like watching 'keeping up with the kardashians' or 'the real housewives of wherever.' i listen to talk radio.

now excuse me while i go buy some identity protection, window blinds, and mail order lobster. and you can forget me ever paying my taxes again because rush has a company that'll settle my irs tax problems for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:
There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.
Any other logical reasons?
Media market is already flooded with progressives. Only so many advertizing dollars to go around.

Also, I think that there is something to what Randi Rhodes said about progressive types using radio as a resume builder, rather than as their niche.

I don't listen to talk radio to inform me. I listen to it for entertainment. I find conservative radio hosts more entertaining. Most of them are full of shit too, but at least they keep we awake.

So are there no entertaining libs or is the ideology just boring?

There are entertaining liberals in media, but certainly not in talk radio, in my opinion. I had listened to Air America a couple times. It bored me to tears.

I tried it too. Same reaction. :(

Bombastic and conspiratorial deliveries such as those offered up by Rush "pass the oxycodone" Limbaugh and Glenn "the sky is falling" Beck do not appeal to anyone who thinks. We Liberals seem to prefer National Public Radio where the news is filled with facts, not editorializations, the programs are fun and informative rather than alarms about conspiracies and the conversation is multisyllabic and stimulating.

Ever notice how Right Wing radio plays on themes of militarization and violence? Rush broadcasts from his "Southern Command". A local host claims he is broadcasting from "The War Room". Makes me wonder if any other theme could possibly appeal to the modern Conservative.

I admit I don't do talk radio - I prefer music - but there has to be enough from the lib POV that's interesting enough to talk about. Right? Yet Lib talk radio fails miserably.
You're saying you prefer to be told what you are thinking (or are to think) by NPR rather than air your thoughts publically?
NPR has talk shows too. But they are moderated by well read folks, not former DJs.

You've obviously never watched Jon Stewart.

what an idiot you are

And you've obviously never watched his show, either.

And I doubt you've ever read anything by Mark Twain or understood the value of Will Rogers commentary, either.

i doubt you walk outside much dork; instead of listening to will rogers or mark twain; walk outside and see the PROGRESSIVE FAILURE everywhere

Bombastic and conspiratorial deliveries such as those offered up by Rush "pass the oxycodone" Limbaugh and Glenn "the sky is falling" Beck do not appeal to anyone who thinks. We Liberals seem to prefer National Public Radio where the news is filled with facts, not editorializations, the programs are fun and informative rather than alarms about conspiracies and the conversation is multisyllabic and stimulating.

Ever notice how Right Wing radio plays on themes of militarization and violence? Rush broadcasts from his "Southern Command". A local host claims he is broadcasting from "The War Room". Makes me wonder if any other theme could possibly appeal to the modern Conservative.

I admit I don't do talk radio - I prefer music - but there has to be enough from the lib POV that's interesting enough to talk about. Right? Yet Lib talk radio fails miserably.
You're saying you prefer to be told what you are thinking (or are to think) by NPR rather than air your thoughts publically?
NPR has talk shows too. But they are moderated by well read folks, not former DJs.

....and funded by big bad mean ol corporations by grants

idiots n hypocrites

are you sure about that? every obama speech is an insult to the intelligence of the vast majority of Americans

Really? So what does that mean for, um, speeches like this?

"Throughout our history, the words of the Declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores. These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation of more than 300 people."—Charlottesville, Va., July 4, 2008

Please don't make me say who made that speech. Please.

dont tell me leftard; a Navy corpseman said it?

No, the 43rd President of the United States. Want to see his remarks about health care reform and a gynecologist's inability to practice his "love for women all over this country"? That was a gem.

Oh fuck it, I can't resist:

So when I see some idiot on this board talk about how insulting Obama's speeches are to the American intellect, I just have to ask myself if they have severe amnesia prior to 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beats me. I don't do talk radio, and apparently most liberals don't.

I suspect most Cons don't either. :)

Occasionally I make a round-trip drive to Pittsburgh from New Jersey, it's a long drive and I really get a HUGE kick out of Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Hannity, et al.

I especially find it fascinating the way all of them start out with a narrative, very forceful, very righteous and segue it right into an advertisement. It's seamless. It's also very unethical. But WTF, most righties who lap up their bullshit don't even notice.

Or perhaps like you most "righties" listen just for the laughs. From what I've heard of it, Rush's show should come with a for entertainment only disclaimer. I wish Lib radio could say the same. :D

Last edited:

Soooo, Lib talk radio needs more DJ types? Why didn't Air America think of that?

Last edited:
bbecause there aren't enough nutters out there to keep it going.... look at NPR.. it'd have been gone years ago except for taxpayer funding.

Liberals are idealists, they don't want to hear the facts, they just want to simplify the issues down to right or wrong according to their ideology. Thus, the need to fully understand an issue is irrelevant, they just operate like the pussy brigade and have knee jerk reactions.

And what does the right want to hear? Whatever Darrell Issa and Rush tell them? Yup.

Did you hear Rush LimpBalls trying to defend Donald Sterling? Said it was all that woman's fault. Hilarious. And his lapdog audience just ate it up. You lap out of the same foul bowl?
I'm sure you don't listen to Limbaugh so you're take is most likely an out-of-context relay from another lefty parrot. Those who do listen to right wing radio, etc., at least already have the left wing take because it's infused in mainstream media. Lefties like you are dishonest and repeat bogus twisting of right wing alternatives because you get it from lefty propagandists.

There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.

Because the right wing needs limbaugh and hannity to tell them how to think?

Because the right wing needs limbaugh and hannity to tell them how to think?

Perhaps it's about open minded people getting a more comprehensive take instead of allowing left wing mainstream media tell them how to think.

Forum List

Back