Why is Liberal Radio Such a Flop?

Liberal radio is a flop? I take it then you believe that National Public Radio isn't liberal,

because it has 2 shows in the top 4.

If NPR is so successful, why does it take taxpayer money? Why not let the free market support it? Taxpayers don't need to pay for liberal content. Perhaps you lefties would like taxpayers to fund Limbaugh and Beck. Now that's a true fairness doctrine,

Because it's non-commercial, dumbfuck.

Camel crap. NPR actively pursues & attracts corp funding.

There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.
Any other logical reasons?

It's called revenue > corporate advertisers.

Corporations don't want to advertise for a radio station that advocates increasing their taxes and regulations. This is why corporations prefer to invest in the Right, and why they only invest in the Left when they have no choice. It's also why the GOP is primarily the party of corporate welfare. Corporations don't invest in the Right for nothing - they pay handsomely for FOX and Limbaugh to confuse Americans about who really owns government.

Clinton understood that the Left could not remain viable without corporate funding, which is why he ditched Labor and courted Wall Street - a move which had terrible consequences.

And yet NPR attracts plenty of corp funding, rendering your post the BS it is.

There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.

In a black and white world, where everything and every attitude is either Conservative or it's wrong, perhaps Liberal radio is everything that Conservative radio is not. That would leave several success stories.

Define "Liberal Radio Failure".

Air America Radio.

Philips Phile. Real Radio 104.1 Orlando. Can't miss.

Philips Phile. Real Radio 104.1 Orlando. Can't miss.

No offense, but is his stage name really "Phile." ????

This is why Lib radio fails.

I caught a bit of Rush today. A woman called in, complained that it 'wasn't american' for 'them' to take away Donald Sterling's team and livelihood. She said 'they' should just let the market take care of it, but that it wasn't right for 'them' to to do anything to him.

Rush played along with her. Never did he correct her on the market forces that were in work in Sterling's ban, or that the 'they' in this instance was the NBA and by their rules they're fully justified in acting as they have to protect their industry and was not in any way, shape, or form the government as she seemed to imply. Then he went on a tirade about how women, minorities, and basically anyone but white, christian males has it easy.

That's why liberal talk radio doesn't work. Not enough dishonesty to make it entertaining.

That was Rush's trademark sarcasm, which libs never get.

The question that should be asked is actually why is right-wing talk popular. It became popular because it was the only outlet discussing current events without the left-wing slant the rest of the media employs.

It became popular because suddenly people of the conservative persuasion were able to hear someone speak who reflected their own sensibilities. The arrogant leftists have it all wrong (as usual) when they vomit their own talking point that right-wingers listen to Rush so they will know what to think. No, they listen because he says what they already are thinking most of the time.

That's exactly how I found Rush all those years ago when he first started. It was refreshing to hear someone speak for me for a change.

I caught a bit of Rush today. A woman called in, complained that it 'wasn't american' for 'them' to take away Donald Sterling's team and livelihood. She said 'they' should just let the market take care of it, but that it wasn't right for 'them' to to do anything to him.

Rush played along with her. Never did he correct her on the market forces that were in work in Sterling's ban, or that the 'they' in this instance was the NBA and by their rules they're fully justified in acting as they have to protect their industry and was not in any way, shape, or form the government as she seemed to imply. Then he went on a tirade about how women, minorities, and basically anyone but white, christian males has it easy.

That's why liberal talk radio doesn't work. Not enough dishonesty to make it entertaining.

That was Rush's trademark sarcasm, which libs never get.
maybe there was some sarcasm in his 'protected minorities' spiel but the rest was played straight.

In a black and white world, where everything and every attitude is either Conservative or it's wrong, perhaps Liberal radio is everything that Conservative radio is not. That would leave several success stories.

Define "Liberal Radio Failure".

Air America Radio.

AirAmerica was an organizational failure; the business failed because it was badly organized structurally. The talent that was on the air is still on the air today, marketed and distributed by other vendors like Dial Global and Premiere --- the same distributors who handle the Limblob and Inannity shows. Around here you can listen to either political "side" on your choice of stations --- both of which are owned by the same entity, ClearChannel. They don't care which one you listen to, as long as they have your ears.

As I said before, it's not about ideology; it's about money. As far as commercial broadcasting, it always was and always will be. The listener is just an enabler. If they thought broadcasting the entire contents of the San Francisco phone book would draw listeners, it would be on the air tomorrow.

I may have missed it but I'd like a definition of the word "flop".

Last edited:
If NPR is so successful, why does it take taxpayer money? Why not let the free market support it? Taxpayers don't need to pay for liberal content. Perhaps you lefties would like taxpayers to fund Limbaugh and Beck. Now that's a true fairness doctrine,

Because it's non-commercial, dumbfuck.

Camel crap. NPR actively pursues & attracts corp funding.

Yes they do. That's part of their problem. It's also the best argument for public funding. And that corporate shilling has been made necessary by demagogue posers in Congress who periodically start crowing about defunding the CPB to their low-info constituents, and systematically bleed it dry.

That said, NPR itself is a bloated top-heavy organization that could do what it does on the air more efficiently, but NPR and PBS are only a portion of what CPB funds; you want to see the real worth of what CPB does, look at a station like KILI in Porcupine, South Dakota.

This country has a piss-poor structure for public broadcasting because of those cretins who would keep us all dumbed down just so they can personally stay in power. More advanced countries like Germany and Japan, and even Canada, put us to shame.

Last edited:
Liberal radio is a flop? I take it then you believe that National Public Radio isn't liberal,

because it has 2 shows in the top 4.

If NPR is so successful, why does it take taxpayer money? Why not let the free market support it?

Because unlike your examples, it's not SELLING anything. DUH.

Taxpayers don't need to pay for liberal content. Perhaps you lefties would like taxpayers to fund Limbaugh and Beck. Now that's a true fairness doctrine,

Would it now.

In what way?

This oughta be good. :popcorn:

Because radio is a medium that requires you to actually "sell your product" to an engaged audience.

ENGAGED?
I can't remember the last time one of my friends who used to "listen" to "White Noise" Rush in their car actually recalled one thing he said.

Everybody knows Hannity is a "Great American"; It's just that nobody can answer my question of what makes Hannity Great.

Perhaps but none of that explains why Lib talk radio so sucks that it doesn't survive the litmus test.

What exactly IS this "litmus test"?

I don't think we can really continue until this basis is defined.

I thought this thread would be good for some tongue-in-cheek posts by our twisted posters and a few laughs. As this did not occur I sought and found a MSM opinion piece on the subject at Variety Mag. The comments are even more revealing than the article. Enjoy:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0ILADg&usg=AFQjCNFsgCJac19-YGugMg09A0PpmtCp8A

So when you say "flop" or "litmus test" you're talking about.... selling ads?

:dunno:

The more basic starting point: what is the purpose of radio?

Taxpayers don't need to pay for liberal content. Perhaps you lefties would like taxpayers to fund Limbaugh and Beck. Now that's a true fairness doctrine,

Would it now.

In what way?

This oughta be good. :popcorn:

Never got an answer here I see.

Last edited:
Why is liberal radio a flop? it isn't. While the Right is listening to Beck and Limbaugh's latest conspiracy theories, laced with fear mongering and paranoia, us liberals are listening to The Prairie Home Companion, and laughing so hard that our sides hurt!

I thought this thread would be good for some tongue-in-cheek posts by our twisted posters and a few laughs. As this did not occur I sought and found a MSM opinion piece on the subject at Variety Mag. The comments are even more revealing than the article. Enjoy:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0ILADg&usg=AFQjCNFsgCJac19-YGugMg09A0PpmtCp8A

So when you say "flop" or "litmus test" you're talking about.... selling ads?

If a radio show can't sell advertising or otherwise attract private funding - or for that matter listeners - it's a flop. Why all the squirming, Pogo? We have Lib posters here who claim Lib talk radio failure is a function of lib youth who don't tune in. A valid point but it doesn't challenge the rising of the sun as you seem wont to do.

Last edited:
Why is liberal radio a flop? it isn't. While the Right is listening to Beck and Limbaugh's latest conspiracy theories, laced with fear mongering and paranoia, us liberals are listening to The Prairie Home Companion, and laughing so hard that our sides hurt!

conspiracy theory? you mean the bengahzi cover-up?

Forum List

Back