Zone1 Why Is The Language In The Bible So Difficult To Understand?

And why do you think your translation is correct? Just because it would better fit your preferred narritive is not a valid reason.
'

Then please feel free to explain what it does mean.

You really do try hard to get people to dislike you, don't you? Was there some kind of a school you went to, to learn that or something?

:laughing0301:
Unfortunate that you might think that, but makes no difference. Have you always hated people who asked for a rational reason to believe your silliest remarks?

I'm asking this question because it came up in another topic. Obviously the term hate in the Bible doesn't always mean the same as strongly disliking something because we aren't really supposed to hate our parents,.. just love God more. So why can't they just say what they really mean so there isn't any confusion like that? Or did that get lost over translation?
A lot gets lost in translation, especially when a word or phrase could have nuances of different meanings and the translators have to pick one because the language they're translating into doesn't have the same structure as the source language. That's why it's valuable to learn to read Greek and Hebrew, or use a Bible translated directly from them, with all meanings included. On top of that, it's important to understand the culture and times when the Scriptures were written.

Think of the US Constitution. We're arguing over the meanings of the words less than 300 years after it was written, and it was written in English.

Last edited:
And why do you think your translation is correct? Just because it would better fit your preferred narritive is not a valid reason.
Why do I believe it is apt? Jesus goes onto say that whoever puts his hand to the plow, yet keeps looking back at what he left behind is not fit for service in the Kingdom of God. If one treasures what was left behind, that is where there heart is, and that is where they should be as well. It works both ways. If one stays with one's parents but keeps looking to serving in the Kingdom, then that is what they truly treasure, and where their heart is. He continues to speak of the Kingdom as a treasure in later verses.

Then please feel free to explain what it does mean.
I know those that presented the translation in the Bible were considered experts at the time, even though it's been shown that they were occasionally wrong. You have to have some reason to believe your translation is better than theirs. Something more than it would fit your preferred narritive better. Otherwise, your religion would just be worthless words that can be changed to fit your mood. Is it just worthless words that can be changed to fit your mood?

I'm asking this question because it came up in another topic. Obviously the term hate in the Bible doesn't always mean the same as strongly disliking something because we aren't really supposed to hate our parents,.. just love God more. So why can't they just say what they really mean so there isn't any confusion like that? Or did that get lost over translation?
Well might have something to do with it first being written in Aramaic then translated in to Latin and then into English.

Unfortunate that you might think that, but makes no difference. Have you always hated people who asked for a rational reason to believe your silliest remarks?

You didn't "ask" for a reason, you made a statement: "A cult leader would certainly tell you to hate anyone who might detract from your complete submission to the cult leader."

How is Christianity a "cult"?

How is Jesus Christ a "cult leader"?

And while I believe in Christianity, I'm probably not one of the most zealous Christians there ever was. "Complete submission" to Christ is a good thing, if you can do that. But I have a little trouble turning the other cheek when assholes like yourself go around showing off their ignorance.

Last edited:
I know those that presented the translation in the Bible were considered experts at the time, even though it's been shown that they were occasionally wrong. You have to have some reason to believe your translation is better than theirs. Something more than it would fit your preferred narritive better. Otherwise, your religion would just be worthless words that can be changed to fit your mood. Is it just worthless words that can be changed to fit your mood?

First off, don't call it "your religion." It's not mine. It's anyone's, including yourself.

Second, those old monks who translated the Bible into the King's English were thoroughly well-versed in the Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and the King's English languages. You and I are not. Therefore, they are the experts, we are not. You'll just have to trust them on this.

Now quit trying so hard to be an asshole. It's not becoming of you, you're a better person than this.

Why do I believe it is apt? Jesus goes onto say that whoever puts his hand to the plow, yet keeps looking back at what he left behind is not fit for service in the Kingdom of God. If one treasures what was left behind, that is where there heart is, and that is where they should be as well. It works both ways. If one stays with one's parents but keeps looking to serving in the Kingdom, then that is what they truly treasure, and where their heart is. He continues to speak of the Kingdom as a treasure in later verses.
Thank you. I'll need to do a little research before I decide if I can accept your explanation, but it is a rational scenario, Much more so than the absurd crap usually presented. I would think devout Christians would be more interested in having rational questions asked. If your religion can't stand up to questions, is it worthy of your devotion?

You didn't "ask" for a reason, you made a statement: "A cult leader would certainly tell you to hate anyone who might detract from your complete submission to the cult leader."

And while I believe in Christianity, I'm probably not one of the most zealous Christians there ever was. "Complete submission" to Christ is a good thing, if you can do that. But I have a little trouble turning the other cheek when assholes like yourself go around showing off their stupidity.

I won't report you for breaking zone 1 rules and cussing if you don't report me for saying preach it brother!!! :clap:

And while I believe in Christianity, I'm probably not one of the most zealous Christians there ever was. "Complete submission" to Christ is a good thing, if you can do that. But I have a little trouble turning the other cheek when assholes like yourself go around showing off their ignorance.
I stand by my remark. Admonishing others to hate everyone from their previous life is exactly what a cult leader would say.

Thank you. I'll need to do a little research before I decide if I can accept your explanation, but it is a rational scenario, Much more so than the absurd crap usually presented. I would think devout Christians would be more interested in having rational questions asked. If your religion can't stand up to questions, is it worthy of your devotion?

Christians ask lots of questions, and God answers them. But if you believe Christianity is "your religion" as in someone else's religion, and you question Christians for the sole purpose of "debunking" Christianity, then you are simply lacking in faith. You either accept that Christ died on the cross, was resurrected after three days, and now sits at the right-hand side of God, awaiting the judgment day, or you don't believe that.

It's as simple as that.

I won't report you for breaking zone 1 rules and cussing if you don't report me for saying preach it brother!!! :clap:

Sorry. I didn't even look at the header on this page, and see the "zone 1" thing. I take back what I said about Bulldog's assholiness.

I would think devout Christians would be more interested in having rational questions asked. If your religion can't stand up to questions, is it worthy of your devotion?
People of faith first and foremost love God. That is our prime focus. People of faith can be very devout, but that does not make all of the devout teachers. There is only so much time in a day, and if learning to teach encroaches on time spent on the relationship with God, God is going to win out every time. Or should.

If one of the devout cannot stand up to questions, there are a couple of things to try: Try rephrasing the question; find another devout person who is also a teacher. Whether teachers or no, many of us love talking about our faith, and some even advise, "Don't get them started!" :)

Christians ask lots of questions, and God answers them. But if you believe Christianity is "your religion" as in someone else's religion, and you question Christians for the sole purpose of "debunking" Christianity, then you are simply lacking in faith. You either accept that Christ died on the cross, was resurrected after three days, and now sits at the right-hand side of God, awaiting the judgment day, or you don't believe that.

It's as simple as that.
If that is all that is required in Christianity, then why are they so involved in politics?

If that is all that is required in Christianity, then why are they so involved in politics?

Why shouldn't they be involved in politics? Does the US Constitution take precedence over God's word?

I mean, America's the greatest country in the world, but we've only been around a couple hundred years. Christ has been around for over 2,000 years.

Well actually, He's been around since before creation, but that's another subject.

People of faith first and foremost love God. That is our prime focus. People of faith can be very devout, but that does not make all of the devout teachers. There is only so much time in a day, and if learning to teach encroaches on time spent on the relationship with God, God is going to win out every time. Or should.

If one of the devout cannot stand up to questions, there are a couple of things to try: Try rephrasing the question; find another devout person who is also a teacher. Whether teachers or no, many of us love talking about our faith, and some even advise, "Don't get them started!" :)
Religion is an interesting subject if you can stay away from "If you don't agree with me, you are wrong, and going to hell" or "you need to pray more" or any of the other trite, meaningless remarks so often spouted.

I stand by my remark. Admonishing others to hate everyone from their previous life is exactly what a cult leader would say.
I have told this story before. In Junior High, I received an award for writing. The certificate read, "The Scribe and Pen Award". I was horrified because Jesus had said some pretty fierce things about Scribes. Now I was one of them.

It was years before I learned that in Jesus' day, Scribes weren't people who wrote short stories, they were the lawyers of their time. (Heard this in Church and everyone around me why the usual serious me was convulsing in a fit of laughter. It can still bring tears to my eyes!)

Anyway, I started paying closer attention to word usage and etymology, not to mention translations, so I probably qualify as a word nerd.

Biblical "hate" is one of those words that has more than one definition. It can mean detest. It can mean give a lesser priority to than something else.

Religion is an interesting subject if you can stay away from "If you don't agree with me, you are wrong, and going to hell" or "you need to pray more" or any of the other trite, meaningless remarks so often spouted.

Don't agree with me. I'm flawed, and a sinner, as everyone is a sinner. Agree with God's word, and you'll be just fine. It's all written out for you in that little black book you have stashed away somewhere in your apartment or house.

Forum List

Back