Why is the USDA paying for people to get high speed internet?

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Why is this the job of the Fed Govt?????

Why are food stamps, welfare, 'reparations,' grants to minority groups, grants for 'women's studies', etc the job of the Fed Gov't? For God's sake, throw some money at the under-represented, under-funded rural folks that have 0 choices and saddled with spotty and/or non-functional internet.

Everybody wants their free stuff and whines about everyone else's free stuff.

So why not stop giving away free stuff?

Seems to only tell half the story. We had been adding manufacturing jobs steadily until about halfway into 2015.

View attachment 258361

And yet when Trump took over, not only did it resume, but at a much steeper incline. Imagine that.

Not that much steeper, but it did resume. Since you are giving Trump credit for it resuming, I assume you give Obama credit for the rise from 2011 to 2015...right? :21::21:

No, because he didn't take any measures to increase those jobs. The private sector did it. DumBama was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.

psssttt...the private sector did it under Trump as well...Trump did not create a single manufacturing job...though I do agree about Obama and his rules and regulations.

That's my point. Politicians don't create jobs--the private sector does. All government can do is encourage that job creation or discourage it.

and yet you are giving Trump credit....weird

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Why are food stamps, welfare, 'reparations,' grants to minority groups, grants for 'women's studies', etc the job of the Fed Gov't? For God's sake, throw some money at the under-represented, under-funded rural folks that have 0 choices and saddled with spotty and/or non-functional internet.

Everybody wants their free stuff and whines about everyone else's free stuff.

So why not stop giving away free stuff?

it buys votes, so they all do it

The internet is a vital piece of national infrastructure in this day and age.

You don't move out to the sticks to be part of the newest trends and technology. Just like you don't move downtown of a city for peace and quiet.

Cool story, bro. I'm sure you'd love it if we left these people without electricity or running water while we're at it. In the meantime, I think it's not the worst idea to get them a decent internet connection. Being out there in the sticks they could use some online shopping so they can order supplies and have them delivered to their homes, instead of having to take a canoe into town once a month.

Yeah, well the Amish live exactly that way: no running water or electricity, and they do just fine. It's why they live where they live.

Providing high speed internet to these areas is just another attempt at vote buying. And I'd be willing to bet over half of them won't even use it. Hell, I know older people who don't have cable, internet or a cell phone in the city. They are quite happy living the way they always lived. The only reason my mother has a cell phone is because I was concerned about her being driven by my Aunt and Uncle who didn't have a phone either. It made me nervous. But when I get my bill from Verizon, they itemize the usage of what I'm paying for. My mother hasn't used that phone in almost a year.
It might come as a surprise to you Ray but most farmers today are not trying to live and run their farm in the 19th century. Farming is a business and like most all businesses they benefit from high speed communications to communicate with customers, place orders, access FDA services, weather, crop reports, work permit validation, financial services, educational material, etc. When farms run more efficiently, not only do farmers benefit but whole communities as well as our nation that depends on our farmers.

Last edited:

You don't move out to the sticks to be part of the newest trends and technology. Just like you don't move downtown of a city for peace and quiet.

Cool story, bro. I'm sure you'd love it if we left these people without electricity or running water while we're at it. In the meantime, I think it's not the worst idea to get them a decent internet connection. Being out there in the sticks they could use some online shopping so they can order supplies and have them delivered to their homes, instead of having to take a canoe into town once a month.

Yeah, well the Amish live exactly that way: no running water or electricity, and they do just fine. It's why they live where they live.

Providing high speed internet to these areas is just another attempt at vote buying. And I'd be willing to bet over half of them won't even use it. Hell, I know older people who don't have cable, internet or a cell phone in the city. They are quite happy living the way they always lived. The only reason my mother has a cell phone is because I was concerned about her being driven by my Aunt and Uncle who didn't have a phone either. It made me nervous. But when I get my bill from Verizon, they itemize the usage of what I'm paying for. My mother hasn't used that phone in almost a year.
It might come as a surprise to you Ray but most farmers today are not trying to live and run their farm in the 19th century. Farming is a business and like most all businesses they benefit for high speed communications to communicate with customers, place orders, access FDA services, weather, crop reports, work permit validation, financial services, educational material, etc.
It's amazing what they have computers doing in farming now and dairy. Meanwhile dairy Farmers are getting screwed all over the country and soy.as a Francophile I suggest helping family farms in all kinds of different ways like they do in France they don't take any s*** like we do...

What a pile of baloney. His statistics are just as good as trumps,

Sure they are.

The Trump Manufacturing Jobs Boom: 10 Times Obama's Over 21 Months

Seems to only tell half the story. We had been adding manufacturing jobs steadily until about halfway into 2015.

View attachment 258361

And yet when Trump took over, not only did it resume, but at a much steeper incline. Imagine that.

Not that much steeper, but it did resume. Since you are giving Trump credit for it resuming, I assume you give Obama credit for the rise from 2011 to 2015...right? :21::21:

No, because he didn't take any measures to increase those jobs. The private sector did it. DumBama was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.
He tried all kinds of things but the Republicans in the Senate blocked him. D u h a million things they gave up even trying.

I don't know how it became the taxpayer's job. That from one who would, in theory, benafit.
I can tell you though that we already bought broadband on the Navajo and Zuni.

Personally I think it is suspect, in that I mean it seems there are ulterior motives.

Wouldn't you benefit from your taxes paid if you're a taxpayer that lives in these areas of expanded broadband?

Because the Federal government has resources state and local jurisdictions do not.

Because such projects benefit rural states and jurisdictions, benefitting local economies, and in turn benefitting the Nation as a whole.

And because Americans pay income taxes for these services.
Let's see some real numbers and real accounting to support that. Otherwise it's just so much more bullshit, smoke and mirrors.
It seems self evident that the advantages of high speed internet connections will benefit rural farming areas just as they benefit metropolitan areas. In fact, they will probably be of even more benefit in remote areas.

As I remember we went went through this same discussion when the federal government started providing funding to connect the classrooms of America to the Internet.
He's crazy to help the rich LOL. His admiration for money is never ending... But the non-rich should get no help whatsoever LOL.

Because the Federal government has resources state and local jurisdictions do not.

Because such projects benefit rural states and jurisdictions, benefitting local economies, and in turn benefitting the Nation as a whole.

The Fed Govt was more than a trillion dollars in the hole last year...we do not have the resources for such things.

Then why did tRump cut corporate taxes last year?

please say that again, i cant tell what your asking.

if your asking if i would benefit from expanding rural broadband, i clearly said i would in the post you replied to.

If your asking if i benefited from the expansion that already happened on the navajo and zuni, no. i did not.

I don't know how it became the taxpayer's job. That from one who would, in theory, benafit.
I can tell you though that we already bought broadband on the Navajo and Zuni.

Personally I think it is suspect, in that I mean it seems there are ulterior motives.

Wouldn't you benefit from your taxes paid if you're a taxpayer that lives in these areas of expanded broadband?

The Fed Govt was more than a trillion dollars in the hole last year...we do not have the resources for such things.

Then why did tRump cut corporate taxes last year?

Beats the fuck out of me. Corporations were making record setting profits even prior to the tax cuts. Personally I think he was hoping for a sugar high from the cuts that would push the GDP growth over 3%...but then started a stupid fucking trade war and messed that up as well

Because business is good for the country?

Because people can become entrepreneurs with internet access?

Because connecting businesses can make them more competitive?

Those are just the obvious things.

In fact, I've been watching the story of King Arthur Flour in Vermont for years. Since Clinton's internet to rural areas initiative.:

Two centuries of flour and baking | King Arthur Flour

They were a tiny specialty flour company in rural Vermont. They make finely ground flour for high end cakes. When they went on line, in just a few years, they want from struggling company to a company that sells all over the world. Especially France. They have a campus now. They do cooking shows online. And all because of the internet to rural areas.

I hope that helped.
Wow, you point out an example where the Internet really helped a company grow enormously and become very profitable and Republicans on the USMB laugh at it and make fun of it.
Sometimes I think it’s just impossible to teach these right wingers anything. They don’t seem to have the capability to learn.

Because business is good for the country?

Because people can become entrepreneurs with internet access?

Because connecting businesses can make them more competitive?

Those are just the obvious things.

In fact, I've been watching the story of King Arthur Flour in Vermont for years. Since Clinton's internet to rural areas initiative.:

Two centuries of flour and baking | King Arthur Flour

They were a tiny specialty flour company in rural Vermont. They make finely ground flour for high end cakes. When they went on line, in just a few years, they want from struggling company to a company that sells all over the world. Especially France. They have a campus now. They do cooking shows online. And all because of the internet to rural areas.

I hope that helped.
Wow, you point out an example where the Internet really helped a company grow enormously and become very profitable and Republicans on the USMB laugh at it and make fun of it.
Sometimes I think it’s just impossible to teach these right wingers anything. They don’t seem to have the capability to learn.

Yeah, we all know how much leftists care about successful people and business. We know how much you love seeing people get filthy rich and joining the one-percenters.

View attachment 258361

He tried all kinds of things but the Republicans in the Senate blocked him. D u h a million things they gave up even trying.

Right. It's never a Democrats fault. I guess the Republicans forced him to attack several businesses and even close them down too, right?

Only a Democrat could look into the eyes of Jesus and lie to him.

What a pile of baloney. His statistics are just as good as trumps,

Sure they are.

The Trump Manufacturing Jobs Boom: 10 Times Obama's Over 21 Months
Manufacturing jobs, super duper. On the other hand Obama had more jobs produced over the last 21 months than Trump did in his first 21 months. It's all about the same. Even after Trump spend a trillion to sugar it.

Yeah, Obama produced all those minimum wage low skilled jobs. Good for him.

It might come as a surprise to you Ray but most farmers today are not trying to live and run their farm in the 19th century. Farming is a business and like most all businesses they benefit from high speed communications to communicate with customers, place orders, access FDA services, weather, crop reports, work permit validation, financial services, educational material, etc. When farms run more efficiently, not only do farmers benefit but whole communities as well as our nation that depends on our farmers.

Oh please. As I stated earlier, they do have internet access via satellite dishes. Do they have to be on supersonic high speed to farm? Give me a break.

psssttt...the private sector did it under Trump as well...Trump did not create a single manufacturing job...though I do agree about Obama and his rules and regulations.

That's my point. Politicians don't create jobs--the private sector does. All government can do is encourage that job creation or discourage it.

and yet you are giving Trump credit....weird

Why shouldn't I? Business confidence is way up since he took office. Small businesses (our largest employers) confidence set a new record. Since Trump took office, businesses believe they have a friend in the White House which they do. With DumBama, they didn't know if he'd create some regulation to run them out of business or not.

Forum List

Back