Why is the USDA paying for people to get high speed internet?

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Why is this the job of the Fed Govt?????
Lol
5G is going to melt everyone’s brains

good thing you never take off your tin foil hat
Lol
You’re confused it’s called a headdress...

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Rural and small markets are not profitable enough for carriers to expand into. It was one of the reasons the Obama era net neutrality rules got shitcanned. They killed expansion into rural and low income urban areas where providers are often mom and pop scale businesses that 1) could not afford the added compliance reporting costs and 2) could not afford the expense of having mandated delivery speeds to all its customers since a tree or building between a customer and the tower could greatly diminish speeds.

Perhaps I don't know enough about it since I use cable television, but doesn't the dish networks have internet capability through the dish? I thought they did. And a dish doesn't cost any more in rural country than it does in the city.
I live out of town and have both TV and high speed internet via satellite. I also have running water from my own well.
I much prefer living out in the country instead of a cesspool of a city.
The water I drink from my well hasn't been pump out of a river where millons of people living up stream have crapped and pissed in it so no chemical treatment is necessary.
There is no rush hour in my town so hours a day are not pissed away sitting in traffic, going no where while being driven out of my mind by the thousands of idiots on the road with me.
My dog has free run of acres of my own land instead of needing to be hauled to a park on a leash to be allowed to run free on a half acre plot with two hundred other dogs pissing and crapping all over it.
Oh yeah instead of hoping the police show up in time to save my ass from the bad guys, I leave that job to Mr. Winchester.

To my knowledge it was bought out by AT&T. My father and his GF switched from U-Verse for lower rates to the dish. He claims she gets her internet service from the dish as well.
You can. You pay considerably MORE for service that's barely a step above dial up.

I don't know, I have cable and never used the dish for internet. I thought it was supposed to be even faster than cable. But again, when you live out in these areas, you can't really expect to be in front of the line with the newest developments, especially when it comes to technology.

Yet the modern economy kind of requires you be no in the stone ages either. I mean Hillary was going to kill coal and replace it with high tech jobs. How are you going to have a high tech job if you don't have at least 25M internet at the very least?

I don't know about tech, but other industries do just fine out there. In fact my last pickup was out in Amish country on Friday, and actually, we have several customers out that way. Like I said, industries that have been there for generations.
Well rural areas are just fine then.... For the Amish. LOL. Everyone will do just fine, no sacrifice is too great for tax cuts for the rich...

You seem to have a really fucked up view of government responsibilities.

I don't know, I have cable and never used the dish for internet. I thought it was supposed to be even faster than cable. But again, when you live out in these areas, you can't really expect to be in front of the line with the newest developments, especially when it comes to technology.

Yet the modern economy kind of requires you be no in the stone ages either. I mean Hillary was going to kill coal and replace it with high tech jobs. How are you going to have a high tech job if you don't have at least 25M internet at the very least?

I don't know about tech, but other industries do just fine out there. In fact my last pickup was out in Amish country on Friday, and actually, we have several customers out that way. Like I said, industries that have been there for generations.
Well rural areas are just fine then.... For the Amish. LOL. Everyone will do just fine, no sacrifice is too great for tax cuts for the rich...

Correct, because without those tax cuts for EVERYBODY, the rich would not be investing and creating this great economy we are experiencing today.
Well the GOP has not screwed up Obama's recovery. Only cost a trillion dollars in deficit.

The Obama recovery, huh? Over two years and you're still giving credit to somebody that didn't do squat for our economy.

Hussein was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.

You can. You pay considerably MORE for service that's barely a step above dial up.

You're right, a give away to the rich and screwing everybody else over is the way to go...

Correct, because without those tax cuts for EVERYBODY, the rich would not be investing and creating this great economy we are experiencing today.
Well the GOP has not screwed up Obama's recovery. Only cost a trillion dollars in deficit.

The Obama recovery, huh? Over two years and you're still giving credit to somebody that didn't do squat for our economy.

Hussein was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.
What a pile of baloney. His statistics are just as good as trumps, he turned around the economy by just leaving it alone. You guys are going to screw it up again like 1929 1989 2008, every time you get eight years the Republicans wreck the economy, corruptly of course.

You're right, a give away to the rich and screwing everybody else over is the way to go...

I'm far from rich, and no one is screwing me, if you are unhappy with your lot in life, perhaps you should look at your own choices.

Why shouldn't folks in rural areas get government money just like other minorities and cities?

Why are food stamps, welfare, 'reparations,' grants to minority groups, grants for 'women's studies', etc the job of the Fed Gov't? For God's sake, throw some money at the under-represented, under-funded rural folks that have 0 choices and saddled with spotty and/or non-functional internet.

Why are food stamps, welfare, 'reparations,' grants to minority groups, grants for 'women's studies', etc the job of the Fed Gov't? For God's sake, throw some money at the under-represented, under-funded rural folks that have 0 choices and saddled with spotty and/or non-functional internet.

Everybody wants their free stuff and whines about everyone else's free stuff.

Why shouldn't folks in rural areas get government money just like other minorities and cities?

20 billion plus a year in wealth redistribution to the farmers is not enough? :290968001256257790-final:

What a pile of baloney. His statistics are just as good as trumps,

Sure they are.

The Trump Manufacturing Jobs Boom: 10 Times Obama's Over 21 Months

Seems to only tell half the story. We had been adding manufacturing jobs steadily until about halfway into 2015.

upload_2019-4-28_16-28-19.png

Sure they are.

Seems to only tell half the story. We had been adding manufacturing jobs steadily until about halfway into 2015.

View attachment 258361

And yet when Trump took over, not only did it resume, but at a much steeper incline. Imagine that.

Sure they are.

View attachment 258361

And yet when Trump took over, not only did it resume, but at a much steeper incline. Imagine that.

Not that much steeper, but it did resume. Since you are giving Trump credit for it resuming, I assume you give Obama credit for the rise from 2011 to 2015...right? :21::21:

Sure they are.

View attachment 258361

Not that much steeper, but it did resume. Since you are giving Trump credit for it resuming, I assume you give Obama credit for the rise from 2011 to 2015...right? :21::21:

No, because he didn't take any measures to increase those jobs. The private sector did it. DumBama was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.

Sure they are.

View attachment 258361

No, because he didn't take any measures to increase those jobs. The private sector did it. DumBama was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.

psssttt...the private sector did it under Trump as well...Trump did not create a single manufacturing job...though I do agree about Obama and his rules and regulations.

View attachment 258361

psssttt...the private sector did it under Trump as well...Trump did not create a single manufacturing job...though I do agree about Obama and his rules and regulations.

That's my point. Politicians don't create jobs--the private sector does. All government can do is encourage that job creation or discourage it.

Providing high speed internet connect in many rural areas is not financial feasible. There simple are not enough customers to make the investment payoff.

This is certainly not the first time the government has brought new technology to farming areas across the country. The Rural Electrification Act of 1936 is credited with raising the level of electrification of American farms to 90% by 1950.

Because the Federal government has resources state and local jurisdictions do not.

Because such projects benefit rural states and jurisdictions, benefitting local economies, and in turn benefitting the Nation as a whole.

And because Americans pay income taxes for these services.
Let's see some real numbers and real accounting to support that. Otherwise it's just so much more bullshit, smoke and mirrors.
It seems self evident that the advantages of high speed internet connections will benefit rural farming areas just as they benefit metropolitan areas. In fact, they will probably be of even more benefit in remote areas.

As I remember we went went through this same discussion when the federal government started providing funding to connect the classrooms of America to the Internet.

Forum List

Back