Why is the USDA paying for people to get high speed internet?

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Why is this the job of the Fed Govt?????
Because business is good for the country?

Because people can become entrepreneurs with internet access?

Because connecting businesses can make them more competitive?

Those are just the obvious things.

In fact, I've been watching the story of King Arthur Flour in Vermont for years. Since Clinton's internet to rural areas initiative.:

Two centuries of flour and baking | King Arthur Flour

They were a tiny specialty flour company in rural Vermont. They make finely ground flour for high end cakes. When they went on line, in just a few years, they want from struggling company to a company that sells all over the world. Especially France. They have a campus now. They do cooking shows online. And all because of the internet to rural areas.

I hope that helped.

Right, and that's what our founders created a federal government for; so people could sell products and have cooking shows.
Everybody knows that to make money you invest.

Everybody knows that.

And we want Americans to own companies and make money.

Because we are a capitalistic society.

Everybody knows that.

(his voice dripping with derision) It's sad you don't understand that.

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

In fact, I've been watching the story of King Arthur Flour in Vermont for years. Since Clinton's internet to rural areas initiative.:

They were a tiny specialty flour company in rural Vermont. They make finely ground flour for high end cakes. When they went on line, in just a few years, they want from struggling company to a company that sells all over the world. Especially France. They have a campus now. They do cooking shows online. And all because of the internet to rural areas.

I hope that helped.

Right, and that's what our founders created a federal government for; so people could sell products and have cooking shows.

Everybody knows that.

Everybody knows that.

Yeah, and when they do make money, you want to take it all to give people free college or healthcare.

American companies do fine where they are at. They've been there for generations. If they feel that technology has become a necessity, they are free to locate as hundreds of other companies do every year. It's not the place of our federal government to oversee how well businesses do. The federal government is here for one reason--to govern.

The internet is a vital piece of national infrastructure in this day and age.

You don't move out to the sticks to be part of the newest trends and technology. Just like you don't move downtown of a city for peace and quiet.

Cool story, bro. I'm sure you'd love it if we left these people without electricity or running water while we're at it. In the meantime, I think it's not the worst idea to get them a decent internet connection. Being out there in the sticks they could use some online shopping so they can order supplies and have them delivered to their homes, instead of having to take a canoe into town once a month.
Cool story sister.

The country is not beholden to the outliers in each state for a luxury, of which internet connectivity is classified. The responsibility belongs to the Statt, not the Federal government.
We also have crap overpriced internet in the cities, dumbass dupe. No sacrifice by the nonrich is too great so that we can cut taxes on the greedy idiot GOP Rich, right, super duper?

Our infrastructure middle class and National IQ are suffering from lack of investment.

Oh, so that's what happened to you? :auiqs.jpg:
No, my father is a doctor made sure that didn't happen to me, brainwashed functional moron.... But it happened to GOP dupes / voters and the country in general. Dumb and dumber, look in the mirror and change the goddamn channel.

Why would high speed internet be provided to rural dwellers? Uh, the same reason electricity was brought to them. Think of it as the modern Rural Electrification Act.

Tell me, what do YOU pay for internet and what speeds do you get? I'm a rural dweller that relies on satellite for my connection. I pay $100 a month and usually can't get Pandora to load...
I used to sell those. HughesNet and blue whatever as well as dish Network and DirecTV. We will catch up with the rest of the modern world someday, like everything else when the Democrats have a landslide and real control of Congress.... While our average wealth may be going up with this GOP give away to the rich the last 35 2 50 years, the median average wage goes down and the inequality and upward Mobility continue to go to hell. Great job scumbag GOP and brainwashed functional moron dupes...

I hope that helped.

Everybody knows that.

Everybody knows that.

Yeah, and when they do make money, you want to take it all to give people free college or healthcare.

American companies do fine where they are at. They've been there for generations. If they feel that technology has become a necessity, they are free to locate as hundreds of other companies do every year. It's not the place of our federal government to oversee how well businesses do. The federal government is here for one reason--to govern.
And take away money from the Non rich and give it to the rich and giant corporations who screw them, right, brainwashed functional moron? LOL okay. Well they're doing a fantastic job the last 35 years...

Why would high speed internet be provided to rural dwellers? Uh, the same reason electricity was brought to them. Think of it as the modern Rural Electrification Act.

Tell me, what do YOU pay for internet and what speeds do you get? I'm a rural dweller that relies on satellite for my connection. I pay $100 a month and usually can't get Pandora to load...

So taxpayers are supposed to furnish you with conveniences that you chose not to have for yourself by living there?
No, just the infrastructure. I'd still PAY for my service...the point is that I would HAVE service.

So taxpayers are supposed to furnish you with conveniences that you chose not to have for yourself by living there?
No, just the infrastructure. I'd still PAY for my service...the point is that I would HAVE service.

Either way the taxpayers are still paying for it.

This debate is like when people move next to a highway and demand the state put up noise barriers, or people who move downtown and complain there isn't enough green space.

You mean to tell me that when you moved there, you had no idea you'd be the last on the list for technology to make their way to where you live?

I still don't understand why local, state or even the federal government hasn't assumed over electric and internet infrastructure, much like highways and roads. Those are non-political issues and are paramount to modern civilization.

I still don't understand why local, state or even the federal government hasn't assumed over electric and internet infrastructure, much like highways and roads. Those are non-political issues and are paramount to modern civilization.

They are not necessities. People have been living in those areas for generations and are doing just fine. I know people in the city that don't own computer, nor have cable or a cell phone. Hell, we did without those things 30 years ago just fine.

They are not necessities. People have been living in those areas for generations and are doing just fine. I know people in the city that don't own computer, nor have cable or a cell phone. Hell, we did without those things 30 years ago just fine.

They are not necessities to live.

But they are necessities for modern civilization to thrive.

The security of the United States depends upon the United States being a modern civilization. The intellectual superiority of the United States depends upon the whole population having access the most modern and efficient means of communication.

The printing press wasn't necessary to live, but the nations who invented and utilized them first became the dominant powers of the day and remain dominant today.

The security of the United States depends upon the United States being a modern civilization. The intellectual superiority of the United States depends upon the whole population having access the most modern and efficient means of communication.

The printing press wasn't necessary to live, but the nations who invented and utilized them first became the dominant powers of the day and remain dominant today.

If everybody had these things, then I could agree with you that they are a necessity for modern civilization to thrive. However I make deliveries to these areas all the time. These businesses and people are thriving just fine. They are not necessities, but conveniences. And I don't think taxpayers should be on the hook to provide conveniences.

The Amish are having a tough time rejuvenating their society. Why? Because younger people are leaving the order and modernizing. They are packing their bags, headed out to town or the city so they can enjoy these things. In other words, it's an option. Nobody has to live in these areas.

If everybody had these things, then I could agree with you that they are a necessity for modern civilization to thrive. However I make deliveries to these areas all the time. These businesses and people are thriving just fine. They are not necessities, but conveniences. And I don't think taxpayers should be on the hook to provide conveniences.

The Amish are having a tough time rejuvenating their society. Why? Because younger people are leaving the order and modernizing. They are packing their bags, headed out to town or the city so they can enjoy these things. In other words, it's an option. Nobody has to live in these areas.

I identify was the following, in order of priority:

1: American
2: Constitutionalist
3: Libertarian

If #1 fails, so does #2 and #3.

You don't move out to the sticks to be part of the newest trends and technology. Just like you don't move downtown of a city for peace and quiet.

Cool story, bro. I'm sure you'd love it if we left these people without electricity or running water while we're at it. In the meantime, I think it's not the worst idea to get them a decent internet connection. Being out there in the sticks they could use some online shopping so they can order supplies and have them delivered to their homes, instead of having to take a canoe into town once a month.
Nobody is saying they shouldn't have high speed internet, what they are saying is, it's not the governments job to help broadband companies expand their business.

I really cant believe lefties are supporting the government handing cash to major corporations. Are we in reverse world???

These broadband companies have been fleecing the Americans for many many years, charging extremely high rates for a product that is inferior to what you can get in many parts of the world.

They've made enough money off of us, they can spend their own money if they want to expand their market.

The companies don't want to expand. That's the problem. There are not enough paying customers to make the investment worthwhile. Companies which need high speed internet to function, can't get it. So large companies are less likely to move to these states, Ray's antedoctal evidence to the contrary.

This article is from 2017, and the proposed infrastructure spending cited in this article never happened.

Measuring up US infrastructure against other countries

The State of U.S. Infrastructure

I agree. But we are a country of 21 trillion in debt and growing with no end in sight. Is it that important to make sure some farmer has access to Netflix and Amazon?

We are all for cutting spending except of what we approve of. For those things, sure, spend our money. Let somebody else make the sacrifices, but not me. In the meantime, those other people are saying the same thing about you.

No, it's a communication medium, which is privately owned.

So, conservative perfection. Instead of government running the operation, it's privatized. Great.

Nowhere in the constitution does it give the federal government the ability to support private business.

It's called the commerce clause.

At best, broadband could be considered an extension of education, even then, that is not a function of the federal government, but of the state government. Broadband is also entertainment, which is not a function of any government.

Just because you only use the internet for entertainment doesn't mean that's the only use for it. Countless people enjoy pleasure riding in their motor vehicles. But that does not mean the highway system was simply entertainment.

I agree. But we are a country of 21 trillion in debt and growing with no end in sight. Is it that important to make sure some farmer has access to Netflix and Amazon?

We are all for cutting spending except of what we approve of. For those things, sure, spend our money. Let somebody else make the sacrifices, but not me. In the meantime, those other people are saying the same thing about you.
I't snot about Netflix and Amazon, it's about each and every American having lightning access to the latest scientific, mathematical and cultural information.

I't snot about Netflix and Amazon, it's about each and every American having lightning access to the latest scientific, mathematical and cultural information.

And we need that so badly the federal government has to fund it? People have access to that now, just not at lightning speed perhaps, but it's available. As for rural areas, it should come at it's own time, when private industry feels the need to make those investments.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't have high speed internet, what they are saying is, it's not the governments job to help broadband companies expand their business.

I really cant believe lefties are supporting the government handing cash to major corporations. Are we in reverse world???

These broadband companies have been fleecing the Americans for many many years, charging extremely high rates for a product that is inferior to what you can get in many parts of the world.

They've made enough money off of us, they can spend their own money if they want to expand their market.

The companies don't want to expand. That's the problem. There are not enough paying customers to make the investment worthwhile. Companies which need high speed internet to function, can't get it. So large companies are less likely to move to these states, Ray's antedoctal evidence to the contrary.

This article is from 2017, and the proposed infrastructure spending cited in this article never happened.

Measuring up US infrastructure against other countries

The State of U.S. Infrastructure
I understand, yes, it would be great if they could have broadband in isolated areas, I just dont think it's the federal government's job to take taxpayer money and help build private business.

Who do you think will ultimately pay for it? The government isnt going to build a fiber infrastructure and then say "ok, it's there, all of you cable companies enjoy it for free". No, they will charge those cable companies a fee for access to those lines, and those fees will be passed down to the subscribers. My cable bill is already high enough.

Forum List

Back