Why on Earth should Insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions?

Starting next year the ACA imposes a new $100 billion tax on health insurance. The tax will start at $8 billion in 2014, increasing to $14.3 billion in 2018, and will continue to increase each year.

· The health insurance tax is larger than the device tax and the prescription drug tax combined.

· The health insurance tax will increase costs for individuals and families purchasing coverage on their own, small businesses, seniors and people with disabilities enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, and state Medicaid managed care plans.

· The health insurance tax is far greater than the minimum penalty for those who choose not to buy health insurance – further incentivizing young, healthy people to forgo purchasing insurance until they need medical care.

President Obama views the tax revenue generated by the health insurance sales tax and the twenty one other tax hikes in the ACA as essential to fund the his expensive Obamacare reform. John C. Goodman, author of (Independent Institute, 2012) and President of the National Center for Policy Analysis, joins AHIP’s Ignani in his dissention of Obama’s costly healthcare tax increases, claiming they are for American families already wrought with worry amidst an economic recession.

"The ObamaCare health insurance tax hits some of the most vulnerable people in our society, including poor people in Medicaid managed care plans and seniors in Medicaid advantage plans. It is also a tax on middle-income families who were promised by this administration that taxes would never rise.”

The Unsung, But Massive Obamacare Sales Tax Increase That Is On the Way - Forbes

Conservatives want us to live in a survival of the fittest jungle, where when you get sick or hurt, and can't keep up with the herd,

the herd just moves on, drifts away, and leaves you behind until the hyenas get you.

Single payer system offering a basic level of care regardless of income or health condition. Upgrade to a health insurance plan if you can afford it.

Be willing to accept the possibility it may come down to paying for it in taxes to the government rather than in premiums to insurance companies.

Some anti-government types will be hatin' on this idea.

Fuck 'em, I say.

I support government funding a tax exempt, non-profit organization to provide health care.

"Conservatives want us to live in a survival of the fittest jungle, where when you get sick or hurt, and can't keep up with the herd,

the herd just moves on, drifts away, and leaves you behind until the hyenas get you"

I dont see it that way but what about PRO - life? P R O.

Why on Earth should Insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions?

They shouldn’t.

Which is why a single payer ‘Medicare for all’ health maintenance program should be implemented.

With every American afforded healthcare coverage under the single payer system – including pre-existing conditions – health insurance companies can go back to insuring health, selling supplemental policies to those who want and can afford them.

Some people seem to have a very strange view of what insurance companies do. They point to the problem of people who have a pre-existing condition, trying to sign up for new insurance, only to find the insurance companies won't pay for the the treatment for that pre-existing condition.

Of course they won't. That's not what insurance companies do. Whoever said they did?

Insurance is a gambling game where you bet on what will happen in the future. You "bet" that you will get sick or injured, and the company "bets" that you won't. If you get sick or injured, the company pays you the stipulated amount (paying for a portion of your medical treatment etc.), and if you don't, you pay them (premiums). The purpose is to shield you from the "shock" of suddenly and unexpectedly getting hit with huge medical bills... which is why you agreed to the contract.

A pre-existing condition cannot be insured against. It's like betting on the outcome of a horse race that's already been run - there is no "chance" involved, and no "unexpectedness" to the outcome (any more). Or like trying to get car insurance after wrecking your car.

Insurance companies are in the business of selling security - the assurance that you won't be suddenly bankrupted by huge medical bills, rehab bills etc. in the future. They do it by insuring huge numbers of people and getting them to each pay relatively small amounts (their premiums) each. They and their clients all know that most of them will never incur the huge medical bills they are worried about. But since no one knows which few people WILL incur them, they are all happy to pay the premiums, for the knowledge they won't have to pay the huge amounts if they turn out to be the unlucky ones.

Insurance companies sell safety from FUTURE possible disasters. And that's all they sell. Asking them to cover pre-existing conditions, is like asking a submarine designer to design a supersonic jet - it's got nothing to do with his business or his area of expertise, and he never volunteered to design jets in the first place, for good reason.

If you want to set up some kind of universal pool to pay for pre-existing conditions, fine, go ahead. But why drag insurance companies into it? It's got nothing to do with their areas of expertise, and they never volunteered to do it in the first place - for good reason.

Why don't you educate us as to what insurance companies mean by, "Pre-existing condition". Hint, it's NOT the dictionary definition. :popcorn: This outta be hilarious.

If insurance companies don't like it, let them go to Canada

Some people seem to have a very strange view of what insurance companies do. They point to the problem of people who have a pre-existing condition, trying to sign up for new insurance, only to find the insurance companies won't pay for the the treatment for that pre-existing condition.

Of course they won't. That's not what insurance companies do. Whoever said they did?

Insurance is a gambling game where you bet on what will happen in the future. You "bet" that you will get sick or injured, and the company "bets" that you won't. If you get sick or injured, the company pays you the stipulated amount (paying for a portion of your medical treatment etc.), and if you don't, you pay them (premiums). The purpose is to shield you from the "shock" of suddenly and unexpectedly getting hit with huge medical bills... which is why you agreed to the contract.

A pre-existing condition cannot be insured against. It's like betting on the outcome of a horse race that's already been run - there is no "chance" involved, and no "unexpectedness" to the outcome (any more). Or like trying to get car insurance after wrecking your car.

Insurance companies are in the business of selling security - the assurance that you won't be suddenly bankrupted by huge medical bills, rehab bills etc. in the future. They do it by insuring huge numbers of people and getting them to each pay relatively small amounts (their premiums) each. They and their clients all know that most of them will never incur the huge medical bills they are worried about. But since no one knows which few people WILL incur them, they are all happy to pay the premiums, for the knowledge they won't have to pay the huge amounts if they turn out to be the unlucky ones.

Insurance companies sell safety from FUTURE possible disasters. And that's all they sell. Asking them to cover pre-existing conditions, is like asking a submarine designer to design a supersonic jet - it's got nothing to do with his business or his area of expertise, and he never volunteered to design jets in the first place, for good reason.

If you want to set up some kind of universal pool to pay for pre-existing conditions, fine, go ahead. But why drag insurance companies into it? It's got nothing to do with their areas of expertise, and they never volunteered to do it in the first place - for good reason.

Why don't you educate us as to what insurance companies mean by, "Pre-existing condition". Hint, it's NOT the dictionary definition. :popcorn: This outta be hilarious.

VERY VERY SIMPLE...
Two illustrations or examples for you!!

A) YOU are a smoker. I am not a smoker!
You lie on your application and say you are not a smoker!
I don't like because I'm not a smoker!
You get cancer as most smokers do. You file a claim for cancer treatment.
Insurance company checks with doctors and find YOU are a smoker!
They look on application and you lied when you said you were not!
This is called a "Pre-existing condition" dumb shit!
If you had been HONEST and said you were a smoker, they would have charged you more but still covered you dummy!
NOW you are SOL! EXCEPT now under Obama care.
They can't find out if you smoke or I don't smoke.
So guess what dummy... insurance company doesn't know if you or I smoke anymore so they raise the rates for both of us to smoker status!

NOW an even simpler example!!!
YOU fill out the application and when the question of mental health you say "fine".
I say fine on my application.
But you go into a voting booth pee on the floor are arrested and put into a crazy tank and then you file for insurance claim for the bruise on you head!
Company won't pay because "pre-existing condition" you are CRAZY!!!

Do you know understand "pre-existing condition"??? I don't think you do cause YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

There arent many insurance companies struggling that is for sure... they're doing just fine.

OP- It's the only way the GOP style O-Care will work, with limits on profits and transparent choice of plans, to end the insane cost and cruelty of the disastrous existing Pub system. How dumb can you get? Masscare ALREADY proves it works...STHU and pass a Jobs Act.

Last edited:

VERY VERY SIMPLE...
Two illustrations or examples for you!!

A) YOU are a smoker. I am not a smoker!
You lie on your application and say you are not a smoker!
I don't like because I'm not a smoker!
You get cancer as most smokers do. You file a claim for cancer treatment.
Insurance company checks with doctors and find YOU are a smoker!
They look on application and you lied when you said you were not!
This is called a "Pre-existing condition" dumb shit!
If you had been HONEST and said you were a smoker, they would have charged you more but still covered you dummy!
NOW you are SOL! EXCEPT now under Obama care.
They can't find out if you smoke or I don't smoke.
So guess what dummy... insurance company doesn't know if you or I smoke anymore so they raise the rates for both of us to smoker status!

NOW an even simpler example!!!
YOU fill out the application and when the question of mental health you say "fine".
I say fine on my application.
But you go into a voting booth pee on the floor are arrested and put into a crazy tank and then you file for insurance claim for the bruise on you head!
Company won't pay because "pre-existing condition" you are CRAZY!!!

Do you know understand "pre-existing condition"??? I don't think you do cause YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

You are either new or, stu....well, you know.

Pre-existing condition could be anything. If you had a cold a year ago, or the flu, or if you have hay fever. You entire family could be dropped. Suppose your son has an allergy and you get cancer. After taking your money, they could drop the entire family because your son had an allergy. Say your wife had a mammogram even though she wasn't diagnosed with anything. The list is endless.

All of this has been linked to ad nauseum over the past 5 years. Only someone new to message boards or someone determined to stay ignorant as possible could not know this. This was typical behavior by insurance companies that Obama put a stop to. Only ignorant turds cry about being protected.

And when I have to slap and spank people left and right to drive away the ignorance, those like "Harry" scream that no one likes me.

My philosophy is , "So what?". Who wants the admiration of the ignorant.

And you walked right into it, head up, so confident in your ignorance and stupidity.

And look at that. You have TNHarley THANKING for being, well, you know. Guess you have a "fan".

Last edited by a moderator:

Works great. Reliable. Affordable. Employs tens of thousands of people.

Doesn't use a dime of taxpayer money.

Next.

And look at it. It is horribly run, and is losing ground every day. They are in a multi-billion dollar problem and they raise postage stamps by a penny lol

They are a multi-billion dollar problem to whom? I use it every day. It helps me run my business.

Losing ground to who?

I think maybe being specific would create problems for your argument. Wanna try?

P R O life equals those with pre existing conditions being treated without going into debt correct? Both include pro life stances. Arguments futile.

Works great. Reliable. Affordable. Employs tens of thousands of people.

Doesn't use a dime of taxpayer money.

Next.

And look at it. It is horribly run, and is losing ground every day. They are in a multi-billion dollar problem and they raise postage stamps by a penny lol

They are a multi-billion dollar problem to whom? I use it every day. It helps me run my business.

Losing ground to who?

I think maybe being specific would create problems for your argument. Wanna try?

It can't. It doesn't know enough.

Republicans are trying to destroy the post office. They are doing it by the ingenious method of forcing them to fund ALL their pension 75 years into the future within the next 10 years. No organization or company in the world is required to do that.

So why are they doing it?

1. Voter suppression. Many Blue states, like Washington and Oregon vote primarily through the post office.

2. They could pass the business on to private companies who give money to Republicans.

3. Because they are ignorant slime and are constantly looking for ways to dismantle American institutions that work for greed and to hurt the Middle Class and Poor, two groups they despise.

Oh, and when was that passed? During the last GOP lame duck when Bush was president. All their other damage wasn't enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple reason insurance companies should be required to cover preexisting conditions

THEY fought tooth and nail to fight off single payer. Then THEY fought tooth and nail to fight off a government option

They should be required to give something in return

Single payer system offering a basic level of care regardless of income or health condition. Upgrade to a health insurance plan if you can afford it.

Be willing to accept the possibility it may come down to paying for it in taxes to the government rather than in premiums to insurance companies.

Some anti-government types will be hatin' on this idea.

Fuck 'em, I say.

What, you can't upgrade if you can afford it, that wouldn't be socially just. Evil rich people don't deserve better than anyone else just because they have the ability to pay for the service they want. Why are you defending rich people? Are you a republican?

You might be illiterate. Or maybe it's just a typo.

Simple reason insurance companies should be required to cover preexisting conditions

THEY fought tooth and nail to fight off single payer. Then THEY fought tooth and nail to fight off a government option

They should be required to give something in return

There are far too many people in this country who would refuse to pick up a hundred dollar bill with Obama's face on it.

How anyone can argue against the pre-existing clause is beyond me. They should drink their hemlock now. Life will never get any better for them.

Forum List

Back