Why So Many Americans Hate Politics

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I read the article and agree with most of its points. But, the question is – what to do about it?

Stay home and don't vote? Let the minority of radicals determine the direction of this nation for generations to come?

Or get out and try to put common sense people into office – regardless of their party affiliation?

I prefer the latter.

Read article @ Why So Many Americans Hate Politics RealClearPolitics

I read the article and agree with most of its points. But, the question is – what to do about it?

Stay home and don't vote? Let the minority of radicals determine the direction of this nation for generations to come?

Or get out and try to put common sense people into office – regardless of their party affiliation?

I prefer the latter.

The big question is if one can find any 'common sense people' to vote into office in the first place. ;)

Politics are like wwe for adults ,all of it fake as shit with meaningless story lines , while they all laugh at US the sheeple .

Indeed, the Founding Fathers of our beloved republic were their own special breed of "radicals".

The problem is that if they were alive today, a lot of them would be in prison for petty crimes that—in many cases; not all—aren't really crimes at all, like terroristic threatening and being drunk in public too many times.

That's something that needs to change drastically today, if we want to survive as a nation, a culture, a people.

The wrong radicals have been in control for far too long, and their ideologies are antithetical to the modus operandi upon which this great country was founded by men and women far more politically astute—and, well, FED THE HELL UP—than you and I. :thup:

longknife said:

I prefer the latter.

An interesting article.

A good read.

I am proud to say that I live in a pink state.

I guess that makes me medium rare. :badgrin:

I prefer the latter.

I read that article. Seemed to me that the author squarely laid the blame for the current problems on the Citizens United ruling. Giving the ultra wealthy a vehicle for buying elections never did seem like a good idea to me either.

I prefer the latter.

I read that article. Seemed to me that the author squarely laid the blame for the current problems on the Citizens United ruling. Giving the ultra wealthy a vehicle for buying elections never did seem like a good idea to me either.

That was the message. That....and lying in ads.

I consider all the people that hate American politics to be a blessing! It means that they are least paying attention!

The real problem is all the people who don't watch the news, don't pay any attention to or want to discuss politics, who listen only to cheap one line slogans or just vote for whoever their friends tell them to vote for.

It's always pissed me off that liberals won't get out any vote for a democratic candidate unless that candidate is super charismatic. It's got to be a John Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. They just won't get out and vote for the Walter Mondale's, Mike Dukakus's or Al Gore's.

As a matter of fact if you look at the history of Presidential elections, it seems that whichever candidate is sexier or more macho is always the one that wins. You can practically predict the margin of victory by the candidate's comparative macho:

Kennedy was way sexier than Nixon.
Johnson vs. Goldwater - toss up
Nixon was more macho than Humphrey or McGovern
Carter was "Mr. Personality" compared with Ford.
Reagan was soooo much more macho than either Carter or Mondale
Bush I was way more macho (I know that's a hard one to believe) than Dukakus
Clinton made Bush I and Bob Dole look like wimps and grand daddies.
Bush was warm and cuddly compared with "Stick in the mud" Al Gore.
The same goes for Bush/Kerry
Obama is Mr. Charisma himself - compared with either McCain or Mittens.

Seriously, the problem isn't with the people who hate American politics - it's with the people who vote with the same level of judgment that they used to vote for their graduating class prom queen.

I consider all the people that hate American politics to be a blessing! It means that they are least paying attention!

The real problem is all the people who don't watch the news, don't pay any attention to or want to discuss politics, who listen only to cheap one line slogans or just vote for whoever their friends tell them to vote for.

It's always pissed me off that liberals won't get out any vote for a democratic candidate unless that candidate is super charismatic. It's got to be a John Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. They just won't get out and vote for the Walter Mondale's, Mike Dukakus's or Al Gore's.

As a matter of fact if you look at the history of Presidential elections, it seems that whichever candidate is sexier or more macho is always the one that wins. You can practically predict the margin of victory by the candidate's comparative macho:

Kennedy was way sexier than Nixon.
Johnson vs. Goldwater - toss up
Nixon was more macho than Humphrey or McGovern
Carter was "Mr. Personality" compared with Ford.
Reagan was soooo much more macho than either Carter or Mondale
Bush I was way more macho (I know that's a hard one to believe) than Dukakus
Clinton made Bush I and Bob Dole look like wimps and grand daddies.
Bush was warm and cuddly compared with "Stick in the mud" Al Gore.
The same goes for Bush/Kerry
Obama is Mr. Charisma himself - compared with either McCain or Mittens.

Seriously, the problem isn't with the people who hate American politics - it's with the people who vote with the same level of judgment that they used to vote for their graduating class prom queen.
Apathy. Pure and simple. The reality is that we have it good. Americans have a ton of shit, eat well and have few problems in general. We get to ignore politics because it really does not matter. At least until it is to late.

Apathetic voters will eventually crush this nation as more and more people get into office that should have never been there. Most of the electorate couldn't name a single position that the person they are going to vote for actually holds or what it even means. Hell, a good chunk of Americans can even name the three branches of government let alone understand them.

...snip....

As a matter of fact if you look at the history of Presidential elections, it .... Snip... .

Apathetic voters will eventually crush this nation as more and more people get into office that should have never been there. Most of the electorate couldn't name a single position that the person they are going to vote for actually holds or what it even means. Hell, a good chunk of Americans can even name the three branches of government let alone understand them.

Your typical Obama voter.

Last edited by a moderator:
...snip....

As a matter of fact if you look at the history of Presidential elections, it .... Snip... .

removed
Don't attribute words to me that I did not say. Try again.

It happens to represent your typical voter period. The right is no less flooded with apathetic and ignorant voters than the left.

Good piece, especially this paragraph: Everywhere people look, there are reasons to feel shut out, manipulated or deprived of the whole truth. Big money permeates political campaigns. Political rhetoric is frequently a vehicle for half-truths or pure spin. Members of Congress too often posture rather than legislate. Right on the freaking money.

Then, of course, the hardcore partisan ideologue media nuts and those who follow and parrot them as if their lives depended on it. Contemporary American politics has no more credibility than professional wrestling. It's an insult when someone spews their bullshit and thinks you're actually buying it.

The only thing that surprises me is that so many people do vote.

Forum List

Back