Why Soccer Will NEVER Catch On In America

Since the post was addressed to me, I just want to say that I would not have held you to it. I loved my history classes, but I hated having to remember the doggone dates. What the heck difference did it make what year Lincoln was assassinated as long as I knew the era?

Immie
do you remember the name of the theater?
lol

Absolutely... it was the Bush Theater wasn't it and therefore the libs can blame Bush for the Assassination of President Lincoln too. :lol:

Immie

The Ford Theater and in one of the balconies. Don't ask me which one. I hope someday to visit the theater itself and see a little bit of history.

Here ia a clue. Booth leapt from the balcony to the stage. Without a running start how far can a human jump?

lol

Absolutely... it was the Bush Theater wasn't it and therefore the libs can blame Bush for the Assassination of President Lincoln too. :lol:

Immie

The Ford Theater and in one of the balconies. Don't ask me which one. I hope someday to visit the theater itself and see a little bit of history.

Here ia a clue. Booth leapt from the balcony to the stage. Without a running start how far can a human jump?

Here is a clue for you.

There are balconies on both sides.

Immie

Since the post was addressed to me, I just want to say that I would not have held you to it. I loved my history classes, but I hated having to remember the doggone dates. What the heck difference did it make what year Lincoln was assassinated as long as I knew the era?

Immie
lol

Immie

I was there three weeks ago. I was doing some family research and found an ancestor who was six rows back when Lincoln was shot. Lincoln was in the right hand box about 12 feet above the stage.
There is some question of whether Booth broke his leg when he jumped. No eyewitness testimony at the time mentioned him limping as he left the stage.

lol

Immie

I was there three weeks ago. I was doing some family research and found an ancestor who was six rows back when Lincoln was shot. Lincoln was in the right hand box about 12 feet above the stage.
There is some question of whether Booth broke his leg when he jumped. No eyewitness testimony at the time mentioned him limping as he left the stage.

I would love to go see it. I thought it was on the right hand side because of movies that I had seen, but I was not certain.

Edit: Ancestry.com?

Immie

Immie

I would love to go see it. I thought it was on the right hand side because of movies that I had seen, but I was not certain.

Immie

Yes ...Ancestry kicks ass if you want to find your family history

I found my grandfathers uncle who was a Lieutenant in the Union cavalry. He was captured by Mosby and went to Fords theater shortly after he was released from Confederate prison.
He actually drew his gun on Booth and chased him around the back of the Theater

I also found an ancestor who was in Sing Sing....interesting stuff

attention span of americans is also too short to

oh look a poodle

Oh...look they kicked it to one side of the field

Oh look....they just kicked it to the other side of the field

90 min later 0-0 ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Immie

Yes ...Ancestry kicks ass if you want to find your family history

I found my grandfathers uncle who was a Lieutenant in the Union cavalry. He was captured by Mosby and went to Fords theater shortly after he was released from Confederate prison.
He actually drew his gun on Booth and chased him around the back of the Theater

I also found an ancestor who was in Sing Sing....interesting stuff

But that only works for peeps in the USA.

If your peeps only got here recently, there's no substitute for looking this up in your hometown or country.

My son in Bologna tracked down a Florentine ancestor of ours who was an attorney for one of Lorenzo deMedici's "Ten of War"

oh look a poodle

yeah, but in between, all kinds of awesome shit has happened.

sometimes.

sometimes it is really as bad as you describe. but you never know. sometimes the most hilarious shit happens in injury time. you would be one of the spectators on their way to the parking lot. missing it.

Soccer will never catch on because:

1. We already have four major sports (football, baseball, basketball, and hockey).

2. At best, it would be in fifth place.

3. They don't have enough time-outs for commercials to make it something broadcasters would want to support.

4. Players fall down on purpose in too many drama queen maneuvers and do not engage in enough actual fights.

oh look a poodle

sometimes.

sometimes it is really as bad as you describe. but you never know. sometimes the most hilarious shit happens in injury time. you would be one of the spectators on their way to the parking lot. missing it.
like the world cup final

some of the earlier games were much better

oh look a poodle

sometimes.

Funny you should mention that. Once when I was a kid by dad took us to a Double Header at the Oakland Coliseum to see the A's and the Yankees. RIP Mr. Steinbrenner. I think it was late in the second game and maybe even extra innings and my dad said it was time to go. We no sooner got out of the park and were walking to the BART station when we heard the crack of the bat and Reggie Jackson had hit a Grand Slam Home Run. Not that Grand Slams are all that exciting but I had never seen one. I was pissed! :lol:

Funny, how little things like that happen. Now I wish dad was around to go to the games with. Hell even a boring soccer game would be cool!

Immie

1. We already have four major sports (football, baseball, basketball, and hockey).

3. They don't have enough time-outs for commercials to make it something broadcasters would want to support.

4. Players fall down on purpose in too many drama queen maneuvers and do not engage in enough actual fights.

RE #3) I was flipping channels a week or so ago and stopped on a NASCAR race long enough to see if Jeff Gordon was in contention. I think that I saw that they were showing a commercial like "Picture in Picture" while they continued to follow the race. I suppose if advertisers would allow that, then maybe that would help.

Immie

sometimes.

like the world cup final

big important matches like the wc final live from the suspense, the last great final was 1986, where argentina led 2-0, had to swallow to goals after corners, and then scored again for the final 3-2. since then ................................

that is to be expected. someone who knows football can nevertheless enjoy such a game. because of the dynamics. it was clear form the beginning that the dutch would try to cripple the spanish team. that is the only way to stop them. frustrate them. annoy them. don't let them find their groove.
that is what germany failed to do in the semi final.

don't expect big scores in an important match. the higher the stakes, the uglier it is, usually. you can still see the potential if you know where to look.

sometimes.

like the world cup final

The problem is that they are pussies

They play not to lose instead of playing to win. What you get is a defensive stalemate with nobody wanting to expose themselves. Makes for a boring 3 hours

RE #3) I was flipping channels a week or so ago and stopped on a NASCAR race long enough to see if Jeff Gordon was in contention. I think that I saw that they were showing a commercial like "Picture in Picture" while they continued to follow the race. I suppose if advertisers would allow that, then maybe that would help.

Immie
But NASCAR is a commercial in itself! Billboards at 180 mph!

Immie
But NASCAR is a commercial in itself! Billboards at 180 mph!

:lol:

Good point!

I used to enjoy it, then they started making the drivers into candy asses. They will not let them race like they did in the days of Richard Petty. They want them to be "nice" drivers. Screw that, if the guy wrecked you last week, he had better be prepared for a little bit of bumping this week!

And then they really screwed it up when they introduced the "Lucky Dog" rule. It has been difficult to watch a single race since then.

And what the hell is with a "Tide" car!

Immie

sometimes.

like the world cup final

They play not to lose instead of playing to win. What you get is a defensive stalemate with nobody wanting to expose themselves. Makes for a boring 3 hours
that, AND all the faking injuries

like the world cup final

that, AND all the faking injuries

you are right about the annoying defensive stalemate, and diving is a problem.

but the talk about faking injuries is too much. it may look like faking, but that shit hurts. or can hurt. also, if you run fast, only a slight touch is enough to make you fly. try it. the acting is annoying, but look, if the dutch player robben , who is accused of diving all the time, had not tried to score in the final, but had gone down instead because of the incredibly buffoony foul by puyol, puyol would have gotten the red card, and the dutch a good opp to score. but robben did not fall, failed to score, and the foul by puyol was never called, now it is a clever interference. is anyone still reading this. i bore myself. where is that poodle.

Forum List

Back