Why the 2nd Amendment needs to be reconsidered...

It's amazing to me how liberals claim you can't deal with millions of illegal aliens, yet they want to deal with legal guns which outnumber aliens many fold. Liberal logic.......no such thing.

You are a moron Dubya.

The new owners are required to register, not the current one. What current owner isn't going to report their gun stolen? You're burdening a law abiding citizen for no reason.

There is a very good reason called public safety. If someone has to give up an hour of so per year to insure guns don't get into the wrong hands, then that's the price of owning a gun.

Consider the old laws in states where men between a certain age to a certain age were required to join a militia. They had to purchase their own weapon, that met the specifications of that militia and train regularly without pay.

Those men back then did their duty and all you right-wingers do is whine like babies. If it's that much trouble, don't own a gun. Don't do the sensible things I suggest that will really solve the problem and let the states make their law so your gun will be confiscated, if they catch you going through their state. Dumb people like you don't deserve any better.

You are a moron Dubya.

The new owners are required to register, not the current one. What current owner isn't going to report their gun stolen? You're burdening a law abiding citizen for no reason.

There is a very good reason called public safety. If someone has to give up an hour of so per year to insure guns don't get into the wrong hands, then that's the price of owning a gun.

Consider the old laws in states where men between a certain age to a certain age were required to join a militia. They had to purchase their own weapon, that met the specifications of that militia and train regularly without pay.

Those men back then did their duty and all you right-wingers do is whine like babies. If it's that much trouble, don't own a gun. Don't do the sensible things I suggest that will really solve the problem and let the states make their law so your gun will be confiscated, if they catch you going through their state. Dumb people like you don't deserve any better.

Law abiding gun owners aren't killing anyone moron. Again, what owner isn't going to report their registered gun stolen? They can get blamed for crimes committed by the criminal who stole it. Use your ass or something. Your brain is, well your a moron.

Presently, a gun is sold and it is lost in society. If the gun ever shows up connected to a crime and they trace the person who purchased the gun, the person just says they sold it and they don't even have to know who they sold it to.

Actually, selling a firearm without going through the background check is illegal. And if somebody tries to claim that, then they are liable for prosecution for avoiding the mandatory background check laws.

All to often the problem is not the guns themselves, but the refusal of law-enforcement to prosecute violators. Like the idiot that transported a loaded shotgun to a gun show last weekend. He violated multiple laws, but I bet he will not be charged with anything. People illegally sell their guns all the time, but unless they are selling large quantities nobody cares.

About 10 years ago I was at a yard sale where a guy was selling an MP5 illegally. I mentioned this to him, and he said he did not care. I then called the police department, and they said it was not their problem. And this was not the first time this had happened, I have tried to get law enforcement involved many times when I see this going on at flea markets and yard sales, and not a single time have they ever responded.

We do not need more gun laws, what we need is enforcement of the laws already on the books.

What about the gun dealer who shot himself leaving a gun show?

I know pistols are registered, but I've never heard of shotguns and rifles being registered, unless they are Title II weapons.

Yearly renewal of registration and registration of all firearms is needed to stop trafficing. These laws would have to be enforced to be effective. I think we can create an incentive so law enforcement would show interest. A weapon in itself has some value and the state would be in a position to market that weapon. I don't care if that weapon goes to someone who has demonstated they can behave themself and can pass a background check. I just want a system designed to prevent weapons getting into the wrong hands. I think we could get local cooperation with the ATF by using similar incentives. If common sense was used the weapons confiscated around cities would be transported far from cities to totally take them out of the picture. Eventually, every gun in that city would be a registered weapon with a ballistics test on everything but shotguns, of course. Even the location of shotguns would be known.

Now, the tinfoil hats worry that registration is the first step to confiscation. That's alright with me and if they don't register and those guns are discovered, they lose them and can't pass a background check for a period of time, so they aren't going to be able to legally own a firearm. They can be jailed or put of probation, which means they can be visited at any time and have their residence checked.

You made some excellent points on the shortcomings of our present system.

It's amazing to me how liberals claim you can't deal with millions of illegal aliens, yet they want to deal with legal guns which outnumber aliens many fold. Liberal logic.......no such thing.

It's amazing how stupid you right-wingers are calling everybody liberal who doesn't agree with your far right gun law ways.

You are a moron Dubya.

Law abiding gun owners aren't killing anyone moron. Again, what owner isn't going to report their registered gun stolen? They can get blamed for crimes committed by the criminal who stole it. Use your ass or something. Your brain is, well your a moron.

Is there anything in the Constitution saying you can't make someone register a gun?

It's amazing how stupid you right-wingers are calling everybody liberal who doesn't agree with your far right gun law ways.

You call everyone who disagrees with your attempt to control their lives right wing nuts so you must be stupid too.

Is there anything in the Constitution saying you can't make someone register a gun?

For what benefit you moron?

For what benefit you moron?

In other words it is totally legal.

It would benefit every law abiding gun owner in this country and the nation as a whole. It would allow law abiding citizens to possess guns that present state laws forbid. It would benefit the law abiding gun owner and every citizen by giving them more piece of mind knowing that unregistered firearms are being removed from the streets and registered firearms have ballistic tests on file. A criminal wouldn't want to use those weapons. It would benefit gun dealers by creating a $2 to $4 billion per year business in registration renewal fees and a second hand market for confiscated firearms. It would benefit law enforcement financially for rounding up unregistered firearms and make their job a hell of a lot easier in the days to come in homicide by gun investigations. The citizens also benefit because not wasting police resources gives the police more time to investigate other crimes.

Now, who loses? The law abiding citizen has to go once a year and pay $5 to $10 per gun, so that's a lose which is offset by the benefits.

Some gun shows, gun dealer and certainly manufacturers will lose, because of less volume.

The NRA probably will lose, because I don't think they will do an about face, supporting people instead of the Arms manufacturers.

The criminals would lose big time and it would become very hard to traffic weapons to them. Doing so would leave a trace that a simple computer program could pick up. When the gun doesn't show up for renewal of registration, the person's name, address and picture shows up. Even someone purchasing multiple weapons during a short period of time sends out a red flag.

It would benefit every law abiding gun owner in this country and the nation as a whole. It would allow law abiding citizens to possess guns that present state laws forbid. It would benefit the law abiding gun owner and every citizen by giving them more piece of mind knowing that unregistered firearms are being removed from the streets and registered firearms have ballistic tests on file. A criminal wouldn't want to use those weapons. It would benefit gun dealers by creating a $2 to $4 billion per year business in registration renewal fees and a second hand market for confiscated firearms. It would benefit law enforcement financially for rounding up unregistered firearms and make their job a hell of a lot easier in the days to come in homicide by gun investigations. The citizens also benefit because not wasting police resources gives the police more time to investigate other crimes.

Now, who loses? The law abiding citizen has to go once a year and pay $5 to $10 per gun, so that's a lose which is offset by the benefits.

Some gun shows, gun dealer and certainly manufacturers will lose, because of less volume.

The NRA probably will lose, because I don't think they will do an about face, supporting people instead of the Arms manufacturers.

The criminals would lose big time and it would become very hard to traffic weapons to them. Doing so would leave a trace that a simple computer program could pick up. When the gun doesn't show up for renewal of registration, the person's name, address and picture shows up. Even someone purchasing multiple weapons during a short period of time sends out a red flag.

Let me address this one item at a time so I don't miss anything.
It would benefit every law abiding gun owner in this country and the nation as a whole. Even IF I trusted THIS government with a list of the guns I own what about an invading country? Registration has never been a good idea and it has always led to confiscation.
It would allow law abiding citizens to possess guns that present state laws forbid. Not unless they decided to revoke those laws. They could keep the laws in effect and then use the list to take threst of the guns away.
It would benefit the law abiding gun owner and every citizen by giving them more piece of mind knowing that unregistered firearms are being removed from the streets and registered firearms have ballistic tests on file. What a doozie this one is! It does nothing to increase my peace of mind to know that there is a list of my guns that can be accessed by anyone with the authority and it is of no benifit to me at all. They can't get the criminals off the streets, how are they going to get their guns? Ballistics tests have been shown to be worthless after a short period of time. A criminal would only have to run a file quickly down the barrel and the ballistics are completely different. Just shooting a gun wears the barrel, changing the ballistics.
You can make a 12 ga shotgun from two pieces of ordinary water pipe and one fitting in less than an hour. It is untracable and just as deadly as any other gun. How do you think you can do away with illegal guns?

Unless he was operating under a licensed CCW (or the incident involves a weapon not covered by CCW, like a rifle or shotgun), then he should be prosecuted for violating the law. The only reason why I could see him not being prosecuted is if he had a valid CCW and the weapon involved was a pistol.

Otherwise, prosecute him for the violation he did, and strip him of the right to carry, use or sell firearms for having been convicted of a gun crime.

I reall am a hard-ass for the following of the laws in these matters. We do not need more gun laws, we simply need enforcement of the laws that are already there.

Illegal transfer of a weapon is a felony. Illegal carrying of a weapon in most cases is a felony. A felon who caries a weapon is a felony. Selling or transfering (even letting him/her hold) a weapon to a felon is a felony.

Just enforce the laws already on the books. 99% of the time in cases like this, they are not. We hear all the time about felons getting caught with weapons, but why are the previous owners never charged with the illegal transfering of the weapon?

I am one of those that thinks there need to be less restrictions on the carrying of weapons. But more enforcement and consequences for violating gun laws. I agree with mandatory training, I agree 100% with background checks. And while I do not agree with your "annual checks" on guns, I could even agree to say every 5 years having a no-cost revalidation of background checks.

I do not like the idea of registration, because that can be a step towards confiscation. But I have no major problem of lists of people who have firearms that can be used to cross-check when somebody say is diagnosed with a mental condition or comits some crime that makes them then ineligable to possess weapons.

But by the same token, a lot of the current restrictions on people that agree to those checks should then be removed. Things like 30 day waiting periods are just stupid.

Actually, nobody ever said we can't deal with illegal aliens.

I have a solution to that problem that is fairly easy.

First time you are caught with an illegal in your shop- $10,000 fine.

Second time you are caught with an illegal in your shop- $100,000 fine, and you have to put up a sign confessing your crime in your office lobby.

"I was caught hiring illegals to cheat an American out of a Fair Wage. Please consider my lack of ethics and general douchbaggery when doing business with me!"

Third time- Government takes EVERYTHING you own.

Same thing with guns.

First time you are caught with a gun you shouldn't have- $10,000 fine.

Second time- $100,000 fine, and you have to put a sign on your lawn.

"I am a gun nut. I care more about my Penis Substitution than your safety as my friends and neighbors. Please consider my stupidity when dealing with me."

Third time- Government takes everything you have.

Unless he was operating under a licensed CCW (or the incident involves a weapon not covered by CCW, like a rifle or shotgun), then he should be prosecuted for violating the law. The only reason why I could see him not being prosecuted is if he had a valid CCW and the weapon involved was a pistol.

Otherwise, prosecute him for the violation he did, and strip him of the right to carry, use or sell firearms for having been convicted of a gun crime.

I reall am a hard-ass for the following of the laws in these matters. We do not need more gun laws, we simply need enforcement of the laws that are already there.

Illegal transfer of a weapon is a felony. Illegal carrying of a weapon in most cases is a felony. A felon who caries a weapon is a felony. Selling or transfering (even letting him/her hold) a weapon to a felon is a felony.

Just enforce the laws already on the books. 99% of the time in cases like this, they are not. We hear all the time about felons getting caught with weapons, but why are the previous owners never charged with the illegal transfering of the weapon?

I am one of those that thinks there need to be less restrictions on the carrying of weapons. But more enforcement and consequences for violating gun laws. I agree with mandatory training, I agree 100% with background checks. And while I do not agree with your "annual checks" on guns, I could even agree to say every 5 years having a no-cost revalidation of background checks.

I do not like the idea of registration, because that can be a step towards confiscation. But I have no major problem of lists of people who have firearms that can be used to cross-check when somebody say is diagnosed with a mental condition or comits some crime that makes them then ineligable to possess weapons.

But by the same token, a lot of the current restrictions on people that agree to those checks should then be removed. Things like 30 day waiting periods are just stupid.

Even if you enforced existing law, it would not prevent guns getting into the hands of street gangs and Mexican Drug Cartels. People who can pass background checks would continue to buy weapons for the criminals. Without a ballistic test on file, people would not be afraid to use that weapon. Enforcing existing laws would only have a minor effect on the homicide by gun rate.

There is no need for the government to confiscate weapon from the populace and it isn't rational to believe the government would. Confiscating weapon from the populace is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment. There would be an interest in confiscating unregistered firearms, just to get them off the streets and all weapons into the registration system.

A 30 day waiting period is too long, I was thinking more like 10 days and it's a cooling off period, plus it gives time to check if someone is buying large amounts of weapons.

Let's back up for a second, though! I seriously doubt the government would use these proposals, but they came about because idiots were claiming changing laws can't solve the gun violence problems. If the system I outlined was in effect, it would take the guns out of the hands of criminals and the burden on the law abiding citizen would be minor.

The article I read on that gun dealer said he bought a gun at a gun show and shot himself in the parking lot when he left a bullet in the chamber. Somehow he managed to load the gun and remove the magazine, leaving a bullet in the chamber. That's stupid in itself, but you would think a gun dealer would be beyond that kind of stupid. Perhaps he was unfamiliar with the weapon and was checking it out, but I was always taught to put my finger in the chamber to make sure the weapon was clear.

Let me address this one item at a time so I don't miss anything.
It would benefit every law abiding gun owner in this country and the nation as a whole. Even IF I trusted THIS government with a list of the guns I own what about an invading country? Registration has never been a good idea and it has always led to confiscation.
It would allow law abiding citizens to possess guns that present state laws forbid. Not unless they decided to revoke those laws. They could keep the laws in effect and then use the list to take threst of the guns away.
It would benefit the law abiding gun owner and every citizen by giving them more piece of mind knowing that unregistered firearms are being removed from the streets and registered firearms have ballistic tests on file. What a doozie this one is! It does nothing to increase my peace of mind to know that there is a list of my guns that can be accessed by anyone with the authority and it is of no benifit to me at all. They can't get the criminals off the streets, how are they going to get their guns? Ballistics tests have been shown to be worthless after a short period of time. A criminal would only have to run a file quickly down the barrel and the ballistics are completely different. Just shooting a gun wears the barrel, changing the ballistics.
You can make a 12 ga shotgun from two pieces of ordinary water pipe and one fitting in less than an hour. It is untracable and just as deadly as any other gun. How do you think you can do away with illegal guns?

You live in the most powerful nation on Earth and you're worried about a foreign invasion. Show me where registration has ever led to confiscation! You don't trust the government and worry they want to get your guns, so let's take a look at their record. The government, federal and state, has never banned a weapon and taken it from law abiding citizens. Even Title II weapons are still available. The federal assault weapons ban was a 10 year ban on sales of weapon made after the law went into effect. The NY ban doesn't take existing weapons, such as assault weapons. Except for taking a gun away from a criminal, where is the history of confiscation? Your list of guns or gun purchases in a computer does have a benefit for you. If you renew your registration next year, that means those guns couldn't have found their way to a criminal. It's the person who buys guns and can't renew the registration who is providing guns to criminals. That makes your life safer. Having a ballistic test on file means someone isn't going to want to shoot you or anyone with that gun.

Now, of course someone can make a shot gun or use a shot gun to assassinate someone, but very few homicides by gun are assassinations. They are usually a product of gangs living in a gun culture and rivalries with other gangs. Everyone has to show how big and bad they are, but when you believe you are going to be caught if you shoot someone, it changes that behavior. A criminal may know the history of a gun they have possessed throughout the years, but how would they know a gun they haven't seen before is unregistered? The unregistered firearms would fade away. You may have notice that shotguns aren't used that much in shootings. Out of the 8,583 homicides by total firearms in 2011, 356 of them were with shotguns. 6,220 were with handguns and 1,587 were with Firearms, type not stated. If shot guns are such great weapons, why aren't they being used?

FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

What you people need to do is get over your paranoia. You aren't bad enough to take on the government in a revolution that will never happen. You want a revolution, vote! You want to keep a tyrant from taking over our government, join the military, they aren't going to allow it to happen. I think the military can handle an invasion and they don't need 400 million small arms to help them. These thoughts of invasions and confiscations are not rational thoughts and we have a public safety problem that isn't that hard to solve. Why would society want to solve real problems by catering to some individual's mental state?

Second time you are caught with an illegal in your shop- $100,000 fine, and you have to put up a sign confessing your crime in your office lobby.

"I was caught hiring illegals to cheat an American out of a Fair Wage. Please consider my lack of ethics and general douchbaggery when doing business with me!"

Same thing with guns.

"I am a gun nut. I care more about my Penis Substitution than your safety as my friends and neighbors. Please consider my stupidity when dealing with me."

Joe who said this?
"Any time we deny any citizen
the full exercise of his constitutional rights,
we are weakening our own claim to them."
And joe still waiting
http://www.usmessageboard.com/6689875-post662.html

Same thing with guns.

Meanwhile, you've done nothing about the illegals.

Good job, moron. :clap2:

Same thing with guns.

Joe needs to change his custom user title from Eisenhower Republican to Obama Pole Smoker.

Same thing with guns.

Joe needs to change his custom user title from Eisenhower Republican to Obama Pole Smoker.
Joe was never a Republican. He's too far gone to the left to have ever been on the right...unless there was some head trauma involved.

Joe was never a Republican. He's too far gone to the left to have ever been on the right...unless there was some head trauma involved.

Or I just realized I was voting against my own economic interests.

If your aren't rich, there is no good reason to vote Republican.

Not.

Fucking.

One.

Didn't always used to be this way, but it is now.

Forum List

Back