Why the fight against Birth Control?

"
As one respected researcher
summed it up in a 1999 article in Journal of School Health: “Twenty years of research

has informed the field that knowledge level is only weakly related to behavior . . .
and that programs that focus on knowledge acquisition do increase student knowledge,
but they do not significantly change sexual or contraceptive behavior.”30"

In other words...it doesn't matter how great your "sexual indoctrination" programs are.

http://americanvalues.org/catalog/pdfs/ageofunwedmothers.pdf
No matter how many times you cut and paste this nonsense it doesnt make it so. The fact that you have taken an hour to work out such a weak deflection strategy shows that you have nothing.

As usual.

"
Black urban young people and

their mothers, mostly single mothers, found that those teens whose mothers had

expressed opposition to premarital sex were twice as likely to be virgins as were

the teens whose mothers were more permissive.41

".... viewing the teen pregnancy crisis as a sexuality crisis has

been helpful. In the mid-1990s, a new emphasis on abstinence in schools, community

groups, and churches — such as the Southern Baptists’ “True Love Waits” campaign

— appears to have helped reverse what once seemed to be an inexorable rise

in the proportion of teens who have had sexual intercourse.42"

"
summed it up in a 1999 article in Journal of School Health: “Twenty years of research

has informed the field that knowledge level is only weakly related to behavior . . .
and that programs that focus on knowledge acquisition do increase student knowledge,

In other words...it doesn't matter how great your "sexual indoctrination" programs are.

No matter how many times you cut and paste this nonsense it doesnt make it so. The fact that you have taken an hour to work out such a weak deflection strategy shows that you have nothing.

As usual.

You disagree with the Journal of School Health?

What part do you disagree with it, and what do you have that proves it wrong?

"

As usual.

Your absolute nuttiness as evinced previously in this thread.
People trying to help kids are not perverts and "just say no" is not a strategy.

Foolish. Pay for a pill, or increase the number of abortions, or, repeal Roe and live with the consequences of unwanted children raised by social services.

It's no wonder Trump got so many votes, the crazy right wing lacks common sense.
That's what we did when we listened to you morons who said we should subsidize alternative andepraved lifestyles, and abort everybody.

It's been fifty years. You've brought us to the realization of everything you claimed federal social programs...including the.illegal one of abortion....would supposedly prevent.
We've reduced the cost to folks of unintended pregnancies in states that have sex ed and free contraception. The problem is that unwanted pregnancies are rampant in the states that prefer to go the only abstinence route.

I lived in Louisiana for 9 long years. You'd be hard pressed to find a state with a more firm policy of teaching abstinence as THE form of birth control. Do you have any idea how rampant teenage pregnancy was? What the average age at marriage was? Do you know how much of a public menace STD's were? It was a disaster. And it still cost the taxpayers millions in education, health, and yes, prison costs. You will pay for it either in the cheapest way possible, via birth control, or in the far more expensive way by providing public education, funding the hospitals when parent's can't pay for the costs of the birth, or in incarceration costs. Better for us all to have folks take the pill until they're ready to raise a kid responsibly.
The pill doesn't protect anyone from STDs. Condoms do, and they are already freely available.
And condoms used in conjunction with the pill can bring pregnancy risks down to almost negligible levels. Not to mention, the pill is something preventative a woman can take before hand so that she is protected from unwanted pregnancy even in the case of non-consensual sex. So I'd see giving the pill away as a win for us all as taxpayers.

Condoms can and should be part of the solution, but aren't the whole solution. Of course pill+condom isn't the whole solution either. You'd want education about STD's and the emotional and psychological side effects of sex too for both girls and boys.
But the figures prove that most teens stop using condoms as soon as the pill is made available and std's skyrocket in that group. Fact. If they couldn't be bothered to get hold of a condom before, they sure as hell don't bother after they've been given the pill. Also fact.

What figures prove the data that "most teens stop using condoms as soon as the pill is made available"? And those who do as you say, are likely the ones who have not been educated, and probably live in a community wherein abstinence only is the only form of contraception in which they have been schooled.

But the problem is - abstinence works, but abstinence only programs don't. And the reason is - kids will have sex. They don't enter into unprotected sex thinking - ok, I might get her pregnant/get pregnant. There's a lot of wrong information out there about sex and pregnancy readily available. I'd rather they have a reliable responsible "Plan B" to fall back on - if you are bound and determined to have sex, then be protected and part of that Plan B is making birth control easily available.

Another thing to consider here is that you can make "birth control" as "free" and "easily available" as you want. But there will be women out there who will simply, flat out not want it. They want to take that risk without considering the consequences (either positive or negative) in relation to it. An unborn child is both a positive consequence and a negative one. Positive for being planned, negative for being "unplanned." However, my opinion is that if you, as a perfectly healthy young woman, take that risk and reject any medically approved method of birth control (short of abortion), then you should bear (literally) the negative consequence of your decision.

I'm a strong believer in rewards and punishments, or acts and consequences. When a woman uses birth control, it only gives her an out to keep engaging in the same sexual behavior that got her pregnant in the first place. Hence, abstinence. If married, family planning. It's not hard. I know, because I was an unplanned pregnancy, and a bastard child. I had to reconcile myself with my religious views on pre-marital sex. That's why I now encourage abstinence and self-control.

Well said, and very true. You are right in that there will always be women (and men) who opt not to utilize birth control even when freely offered. Then it's on their head. You can't force responsibility but you can help make the right choice easier. I train dogs, and it's not all just reward and punishment. There's first the teaching of something, then there is the point where they have the opportunity to make a choice. You don't set them up to fail. You set up the situation in such a way as to make it easier to make the right choice then the wrong one. That's how they learn. They always have a choice and every choice has consequences or rewards. The problem with choices involving sex is that there are both rewards and consequences and the consequences are life changing.

When you say: When a woman uses birth control, it only gives her an out to keep engaging in the same sexual behavior that got her pregnant in the first place.

I struggle to find agreement here, and I can't. The reason I can't is this: a woman.

Casual sex has long been denied women because she is the one that always pays the price of pregnancy - historically. The pill changed that hugely and allowed women to indulge in what was long considered the male perogative. Women were valued for their chasteness and virtue and men for their virility. In my view, when a woman uses birth control she is not enaging in the same behavior that got her pregnant, she is altering it by taking responsibility. And that means using birth control.

This isn't to say I advocate free-wheeling sex, I don't - it's up to each individual to determine for him or herself what they wish.

Yeah, teenagers are a real conundrum. I've known a lot of mature teenagers that still end up pregnant. I've known a lot of very very immature ones that don't. The difference? The immature one was taught about birth control, the mature one wasn't.

From a personal standpoint, I was taught that sex was a pretty important thing that should be reserved for the person you love and practiced in the safe confines of marriage. And my wife I both followed through on that. It was 100% effective. That doesn't stop you from having unplanned kids after you are married and those can be just as disastrous financially, emotionally, and physically. So you want to educate folks about birth control before they have sex, whatever that timeline is. As it is, sex can have such disastrous life changing consequences I'd like to educate kids early and have them take precautions seriously well before marriage. As a parent, I know I'll be raising my kids to practice abstinence, but I'd be remiss not to also teach them about birth control. And for my daughter especially, if she wants to go on birth control I'll support that. It's preventative medicine and given the consequences I'm very much in favor of that.

There is not a child in the US today who has attended public schools who hasn't been "taught about birth control". So I know you're full of shit by the end of the first paragraph of your irrelevant post. If you know "responsible" teens who got knocked up because they weren't *taught* about birth control, then you apparently live in an isolated society that has no contact with the outside world.
Thing is, in states like Louisiana, not all children are in public school. In fact, a very very HIGH percentage are not. What do you think the odds are that a kid is taught about birth control in a religious school?

As it is, there's taught about birth control and "taught about" birth control. In a fair number of pretty conservative states the birth control conversation is rushed past as soon as possible and topped off with "But abstinence is the only thing that works." And those states have much higher teen pregnancy rates.

Funny, the teen pregnancy rate is much higher in populations with intense *interventions* in place..inner cities, sanctuary cities.

It seems that the more we pay to educate kids, the more likely they are to get knocked up, and come down with STDs! Why do you figure that is????

The stuff about the huge numbers of children not attending school in Louisiana is of course just your own bias, and has no basis in fact. I'm pretty sure that the school attendance rate in Buttfuck LA is about the same as it is in InnerCity Chicago, IL.

Is it?

teen-birth-rates-by-state-2014-800px.jpg

What imaginary point are you making now?

I guarantee it's not the one you think you're making, nor is it relevant to anything I've said, but I'm game to see what explanation you come up with. Maybe it's random association day in your berg?

Or, maybe, you're just full of hot air :)

Teen pregnancy rates are highest in primarily rural southern states. Did you notice that?

There is not a child in the US today who has attended public schools who hasn't been "taught about birth control". So I know you're full of shit by the end of the first paragraph of your irrelevant post. If you know "responsible" teens who got knocked up because they weren't *taught* about birth control, then you apparently live in an isolated society that has no contact with the outside world.
Thing is, in states like Louisiana, not all children are in public school. In fact, a very very HIGH percentage are not. What do you think the odds are that a kid is taught about birth control in a religious school?

As it is, there's taught about birth control and "taught about" birth control. In a fair number of pretty conservative states the birth control conversation is rushed past as soon as possible and topped off with "But abstinence is the only thing that works." And those states have much higher teen pregnancy rates.

Funny, the teen pregnancy rate is much higher in populations with intense *interventions* in place..inner cities, sanctuary cities.

It seems that the more we pay to educate kids, the more likely they are to get knocked up, and come down with STDs! Why do you figure that is????

The stuff about the huge numbers of children not attending school in Louisiana is of course just your own bias, and has no basis in fact. I'm pretty sure that the school attendance rate in Buttfuck LA is about the same as it is in InnerCity Chicago, IL.

Is it?

I guarantee it's not the one you think you're making, nor is it relevant to anything I've said, but I'm game to see what explanation you come up with. Maybe it's random association day in your berg?

Teen pregnancy rates are highest in primarily rural southern states. Did you notice that?

Ooooh..
Yes, I did. In the areas where the schools spend more per child than ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY.

So apparently the more intense federal involvement, the more likely people are to fail. Which is in total agreement with my philosophy.

And please tell me where the legend is on that meme, and from whence it originated?

But the problem is - abstinence works, but abstinence only programs don't. And the reason is - kids will have sex. They don't enter into unprotected sex thinking - ok, I might get her pregnant/get pregnant. There's a lot of wrong information out there about sex and pregnancy readily available. I'd rather they have a reliable responsible "Plan B" to fall back on - if you are bound and determined to have sex, then be protected and part of that Plan B is making birth control easily available.

Another thing to consider here is that you can make "birth control" as "free" and "easily available" as you want. But there will be women out there who will simply, flat out not want it. They want to take that risk without considering the consequences (either positive or negative) in relation to it. An unborn child is both a positive consequence and a negative one. Positive for being planned, negative for being "unplanned." However, my opinion is that if you, as a perfectly healthy young woman, take that risk and reject any medically approved method of birth control (short of abortion), then you should bear (literally) the negative consequence of your decision.

I'm a strong believer in rewards and punishments, or acts and consequences. When a woman uses birth control, it only gives her an out to keep engaging in the same sexual behavior that got her pregnant in the first place. Hence, abstinence. If married, family planning. It's not hard. I know, because I was an unplanned pregnancy, and a bastard child. I had to reconcile myself with my religious views on pre-marital sex. That's why I now encourage abstinence and self-control.

Well said, and very true. You are right in that there will always be women (and men) who opt not to utilize birth control even when freely offered. Then it's on their head. You can't force responsibility but you can help make the right choice easier. I train dogs, and it's not all just reward and punishment. There's first the teaching of something, then there is the point where they have the opportunity to make a choice. You don't set them up to fail. You set up the situation in such a way as to make it easier to make the right choice then the wrong one. That's how they learn. They always have a choice and every choice has consequences or rewards. The problem with choices involving sex is that there are both rewards and consequences and the consequences are life changing.

When you say: When a woman uses birth control, it only gives her an out to keep engaging in the same sexual behavior that got her pregnant in the first place.

I struggle to find agreement here, and I can't. The reason I can't is this: a woman.

Casual sex has long been denied women because she is the one that always pays the price of pregnancy - historically. The pill changed that hugely and allowed women to indulge in what was long considered the male perogative. Women were valued for their chasteness and virtue and men for their virility. In my view, when a woman uses birth control she is not enaging in the same behavior that got her pregnant, she is altering it by taking responsibility. And that means using birth control.

This isn't to say I advocate free-wheeling sex, I don't - it's up to each individual to determine for him or herself what they wish.

Pushing that stupid idea that women should be encouraged to engage in risky sex because that proves that they're *equal*.

I'm sure you don't know how crazy that is. You are aware that men don't get pregnant, right?

Your beef is with God and biology. Not with the people who don't want to foot the bill for your stupidity.

And the kicker:

"

Nor is teens’ access to contraceptives the main problem: “Most studies that have

been conducted during the past 20 years have indicated that improving access to

contraception did not significantly increase contraceptive use or decrease teen pregnancy.”

Even when schools in high-risk areas dispensed free contraceptives, hired

trained staff, and provided other health services to insure confidentiality, “schoolwide

rates of contraceptive use typically did not increase and pregnancy or childbearing

rates did not decrease.”31"

Really now? That's a kicker? You seem overly reliant on one source for your data.

Several factors influence reduced teen pregnancy rates - one is BETTER contraception. Newer, longer acting contraception has improved those rates - no more worry about missing pills. Another factor is contraception being freely available.

What Is Behind the Declines in Teen Pregnancy Rates?
The progress the nation has made over the last few decades in reducing teen pregnancy has been extraordinary. After years of increases in the 1970s and 1980s, the teen pregnancy rate peaked in 1990 and has declined steadily since.1 Today, teen pregnancy, birth and abortion rates have reached historic lows. What is more, teen pregnancy rates have fallen in all 50 states and among all racial and ethnic groups.

Basically, teen pregnancy rates can decrease in one of two ways—if teens have less sex or become more effective contraceptive users—or through some combination of the two. The evidence clearly indicates that more and better contraceptive use has been the main factor driving the long-term decline in teen pregnancy. The evidence, however, is much murkier when it comes to deciphering the social, cultural and economic factors affecting teens’ sexual behaviors and contraceptive use patterns. Deconstructing why teen pregnancy rates have fallen over the last several decades nonetheless matters, so that future programs, policies and practices can be shaped to help advance—rather than hinder—these positive trends.

Want to reduce teen pregnancy and abortion? Start with long-term birth control: Want to reduce teen pregnancy and abortion? Start with long-term birth control.

Free, long-acting birth control cuts teen pregnancy, abortions:
Free, long-acting birth control cuts teen pregnancy, abortions
A program that offered long-acting no-cost contraception to U.S. girls and women age 15 to 19 reduced the teenage pregnancy rate by 79 percent over five years and cut the abortion rate by 77 percent, according to the results of a new study.

Last edited:

Is it?

Ooooh..
Yes, I did. In the areas where the schools spend more per child than ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY.

I'm afraid that is another "fail" on your part. The schools with the highest levels of per capital spending on education have, on average - LOWER rates of teen pregnancy.

SchoolSpendingMap.png

So apparently the more intense federal involvement, the more likely people are to fail. Which is in total agreement with my philosophy.

And please tell me where the legend is on that meme, and from whence it originated?

So apparently...you are wrong.

Source for the image is: CDC Features - Teen Birth Rates Drop, But Disparities Persist

Pushing that stupid idea that women should be encouraged to engage in risky sex because that proves that they're *equal*.

No. Nothing about being "encouraged". They should simply have the same choices, responsibilities and standards.

I'm sure you don't know how crazy that is. You are aware that men don't get pregnant, right?

You are aware, are you not - that it takes two to create a child?

Is it?

Ooooh..

I'm afraid that is another "fail" on your part. The schools with the highest levels of per capital spending on education have, on average - LOWER rates of teen pregnancy.

SchoolSpendingMap.png

Source for the image is: CDC Features - Teen Birth Rates Drop, But Disparities Persist

Your friends at the CDC and Guttmacher's, just like the politicians and media they pay, are good at lying and making it look good. It's all about money laundering and racketeering:

"The researchers noted they did not include Washington D.C. with their ranking of U.S. states, because the District is more comparable to a city than to a state. The teen pregnancy rate in Washington D.C. is 90/1,000."

Which is why they left it out. That is the #1 unwed pregnancy rate in the entire country.

The dem stronghold of the nation has a PRONOUNCED lead in the teen pregnancy rate.

Hmmmmmmmm.....just one example of the games the left likes to play in order to justify whatever nonsense they're promoting.

In this instance...federally funded birth control. The CDC and Guttmacher get a LOT of money from the feds to promote this stuff.

Trends in Teen Pregnancy and Childbearing - The Office of Adolescent Health

"

As usual.

Quoting part of an article from 17 years ago, reviewing the prior 20 years of research. I'd like to see the entire article that was pulled from and the conclusions they reached rather than one scant paragraph.

Ooooh..

SchoolSpendingMap.png

Your friends at the CDC and Guttmacher's, just like the politicians and media they pay, are good at lying and making it look good. It's all about money laundering and racketeering:

"The researchers noted they did not include Washington D.C. with their ranking of U.S. states, because the District is more comparable to a city than to a state. The teen pregnancy rate in Washington D.C. is 90/1,000."

Which is why they left it out. That is the #1 unwed pregnancy rate in the entire country.

The dem stronghold of the nation has a PRONOUNCED lead in the teen pregnancy rate.

Hmmmmmmmm.....just one example of the games the left likes to play in order to justify whatever nonsense they're promoting.

In this instance...federally funded birth control. The CDC and Guttmacher get a LOT of money from the feds to promote this stuff.

You're flailing.

You still can't escape your lies. On average - the states with the LOWEST per capita spending on education have the HIGHEST teen pregnancy rates. True or false?

Everything else is just a diversion on your part.

They can go fuck a dildo for all I care. You want dick? Pay for the consequences your damn self.

MjAxMy0xMmE3N2ZlYzk4MGQyNDU5.png

Foolish. Pay for a pill, or increase the number of abortions, or, repeal Roe and live with the consequences of unwanted children raised by social services.

It's no wonder Trump got so many votes, the crazy right wing lacks common sense.
That's what we did when we listened to you morons who said we should subsidize alternative andepraved lifestyles, and abort everybody.

It's been fifty years. You've brought us to the realization of everything you claimed federal social programs...including the.illegal one of abortion....would supposedly prevent.
We've reduced the cost to folks of unintended pregnancies in states that have sex ed and free contraception. The problem is that unwanted pregnancies are rampant in the states that prefer to go the only abstinence route.

I lived in Louisiana for 9 long years. You'd be hard pressed to find a state with a more firm policy of teaching abstinence as THE form of birth control. Do you have any idea how rampant teenage pregnancy was? What the average age at marriage was? Do you know how much of a public menace STD's were? It was a disaster. And it still cost the taxpayers millions in education, health, and yes, prison costs. You will pay for it either in the cheapest way possible, via birth control, or in the far more expensive way by providing public education, funding the hospitals when parent's can't pay for the costs of the birth, or in incarceration costs. Better for us all to have folks take the pill until they're ready to raise a kid responsibly.

• The states with the highest unintended pregnancy rates in 2010 were Delaware (62 unintended pregnancies per 1,000 women aged 15–44), Hawaii (61), New York (61) and Maryland (60).[10]

Hmmm. All democratic voting states with liberal,education policies and a lot of bitrth control. Obviously the facts don't back up your statement. Anyone who believes that we just give teenagers the pill and let them make the decision is social,anarchist. Argument fail big time.

Ooooh..

SchoolSpendingMap.png

You're flailing.

You still can't escape your lies. On average - the states with the LOWEST per capita spending on education have the HIGHEST teen pregnancy rates. True or false?

Everything else is just a diversion on your part.

I'm not lying, Coyote, you are. When I source my statements and provide numbers, and you respond with utter hogwash and memes, you have officially lost it. You're spouting completely unsupported blather.

The #1 teen pregnancy population..WASHINGTON DC. 90 per 1000, compared to the next highest rate..which has 76 per 1000.

Wrong about that one as well, it's been falling: Washington, DC

Forum List

Back