Why the GOP is not fit to govern

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
This isn't a smear thread. Its just my opinion on why I think the GOP is not good for governing, and their ideology just doesn't fit in todays world. I say this coming from my home state of South Carolina, where decades of GOP rule have lowered taxes, but done little about our high dependence on federal handouts (red state, but, we take far more from DC than we give), our horrible roads and schools, our high crime, high STD's, etc, etc. Here is why I think Republicans are no longer fit to govern:

I asked questions several times on this board, and got the same respones many times. The questions were about things that normal, everyday people CALL the govt demanding service for. People here in SC, who probably vote GOP, but, then expect certain services from that same govt that they want to be small.

Speed bumps. GOP folks on this forum said they simply dont care about that.
Local fire/police budgets. Again, they said they dont care about that stuff.
Noise ordinances and land zoning- should govt be in the business of dictating sound and what you can do with your land? People said they dont care.

Seems all they cared about talking about was war, abortion, gays and lower taxes, with a sprinkle of immigration. All huge, national issues.

BUT....people WANT local services. Stuff that people care about, but, Republican people seem not to. So what if they get elected, and slash budgets? All those things people expect from their govt, they wouldnt get anymore.

It seems to me that Republicans just dont care to discuss local, daily life issues. They only want to discuss huge, broad nationally appealing issues. BUT, governing is 99% local.

People preach about using the military to "protect us"....from a Chinese invasion, terrorists, etc, etc. And thats all good and dandy. But they dont want to talk about funding the folks who LITERALLY rush to protect us when we dial 911 when a fire breaks out or a meth head is trying to kick in the door while your wife and kids are home.

They want to talk about abortion and gay marriage........but say they dont care much about talking about installing speed bumps, or funding an extra traffic cop, or just saying "fuck it, freedom for all" when homeowners complain about speeding vehicles in their neighborhood.

Government should begin local first, and grow from there. Not top down, big-issues only government. Top down big issue stuff sounds good on Fox and in debates. But day to day life, that shit doesnt matter. Little things at the local level matter. But the GOP and it's voters seem mostly disconnected from those issues, and dont seem to care about getting engaged in them. For all they care, those people can just get over it, get rich, and move into a gated community where the HOA will handle their complaints.

And thats not the type of people fit for governing.

Umm yes, it is a smear thread.

No, its not. Id welcome a debate on some topics.

Speed bumps vs more cops vs freedom.

A neighborhood is complaining. YOU are the GOP politician in charge. What do you do? Put in speed bumps, and bother everyone? Increase the PD budget (ugh, bigger govt) to add more traffic cops? Or just say "Small government liberty, neither will happen" and piss off the voters who are complaining?

And what about noise ordinances and zoning? Should the government be able to dictate how loud your stereo can be? Or what you can/cant do with your own land? Is that "big government" gone too far? If so, what would you tell local voters when they complain about loud music down the street, or the new strip club that opened next to the church?

GOP'ers dont like to debate topics involving local government with me. BUT, thats 99% of governing!!!! When a citizen has a complaint, and they need the government to help or fix it, 99% of the time they are calling the city or county, not the Feds.

But Republicans dont want to debate local issues. They only want to talk war, guns, abortion and gays.

And thats my point about why the current GOP isn't fit to govern.

They literally dont care about local issues. Local taxpayers who call their local government looking for help or an answer or a solution.

If they dont care about local issues, then why should we elect them into any office?

This isn't a smear response but 50 years of Democrat control of Detroit pushing their policies and ideology and the current result of that a bankrupt city is the perfect example of why the Democrats are not fit to govern. If there was ever a modern day example of Nero fiddled while Rome burned Detroit is it the same type of Democrats would like to push the same Detroit type policies on a national level I would call that highly unfit.

This is the U.S. Message Board...not Bucs90's Homeowners Association Message Board.

The U.S. Government doesn't put up speed bumps or fund your volunteer fire department.

They don't enforce noise ordinances or tell you neighbor to keep his garage door closed.

You should go to www.CharlestonBitchForum.douche and give 'em hell.

Have fun.

This isn't a smear response but 50 years of Democrat control of Detroit pushing their policies and ideology and the current result of that a bankrupt city is the perfect example of why the Democrats are not fit to govern. If there was ever a modern day example of Nero fiddled while Rome burned Detroit is it the same type of Democrats would like to push the same Detroit type policies on a national level I would call that highly unfit.

While the right has Mississippi etc.. Lol

Actually most of us do care about local issues...

That is why we want the Federal Government out of them. But when HUD is wanting the authority to even tell the States and Local Governments how the local neighborhoods have to be diversity wise or else face their regulatory powers, then we have to take care of the over reach of the Federal Government before we can take care of the local issues.

This isn't a smear thread. Its just my opinion on why I think the GOP is not good for governing, and their ideology just doesn't fit in todays world. I say this coming from my home state of South Carolina, where decades of GOP rule have lowered taxes, but done little about our high dependence on federal handouts (red state, but, we take far more from DC than we give), our horrible roads and schools, our high crime, high STD's, etc, etc. Here is why I think Republicans are no longer fit to govern:

I asked questions several times on this board, and got the same respones many times. The questions were about things that normal, everyday people CALL the govt demanding service for. People here in SC, who probably vote GOP, but, then expect certain services from that same govt that they want to be small.

Noise ordinances and land zoning- should govt be in the business of dictating sound and what you can do with your land? People said they dont care.

Seems all they cared about talking about was war, abortion, gays and lower taxes, with a sprinkle of immigration. All huge, national issues.

BUT....people WANT local services. Stuff that people care about, but, Republican people seem not to. So what if they get elected, and slash budgets? All those things people expect from their govt, they wouldnt get anymore.

It seems to me that Republicans just dont care to discuss local, daily life issues. They only want to discuss huge, broad nationally appealing issues. BUT, governing is 99% local.

People preach about using the military to "protect us"....from a Chinese invasion, terrorists, etc, etc. And thats all good and dandy. But they dont want to talk about funding the folks who LITERALLY rush to protect us when we dial 911 when a fire breaks out or a meth head is trying to kick in the door while your wife and kids are home.

They want to talk about abortion and gay marriage........but say they dont care much about talking about installing speed bumps, or funding an extra traffic cop, or just saying "fuck it, freedom for all" when homeowners complain about speeding vehicles in their neighborhood.

Government should begin local first, and grow from there. Not top down, big-issues only government. Top down big issue stuff sounds good on Fox and in debates. But day to day life, that shit doesnt matter. Little things at the local level matter. But the GOP and it's voters seem mostly disconnected from those issues, and dont seem to care about getting engaged in them. For all they care, those people can just get over it, get rich, and move into a gated community where the HOA will handle their complaints.

The gop has become a extremist party that cares more about going back to 1791. You see they don't want any form of government as the federal government doesn't care about our first, second or forth amendment rights. These people are willing to burn this country to the ground rather then focus on the issue they're most concern about.

This is what is called small mindedness. :eek: You're right, local government is very important and should be funded well enough to do the job the people want done...This is both the democrats and republicans as we both love the services.

We need police
We need fire
We need roads
We need schools

What needs to be cut is waste, giving disability to everyone and the nation building. Sadly to do it these people want to rip the heart out of America.:eek:

Last edited:

The left has California to go along with Detroit ect. So I guess neither party is fit govern.

High taxes, overregulation, unlimited third world immigration and an abundance of federal handouts to those who don't need it, are all underlying issues that need to be resolved before those local issues can be tackled. In most cases, the issues will resolve themselves.

Immigration, particularly from latin America and gay "issues" as if they were a species apart from American issues, hit people right where they live. Naturally they will be concerned about them. If normal people were not required to participate in the gay lifestyle, right along with gays, no one would care.

That is why we want the Federal Government out of them. But when HUD is wanting the authority to even tell the States and Local Governments how the local neighborhoods have to be diversity wise or else face their regulatory powers, then we have to take care of the over reach of the Federal Government before we can take care of the local issues.

It is true that the federal government is over stepping into issues that are none of their concern.

:mad: But certainly we can discuss local issues. ;)

It is true that the federal government is over stepping into issues that are none of their concern.

:mad: But certainly we can discuss local issues. ;)

But why would we?

I, right hand to God, do not care one iota about a speed bump issue in Charleston South Carolina.

That is a local issue.

If you want to make headway on local issues, GO TO A CITY COUNCIL MEETING!

It's right down the street.

I don't know the pros and cons of Bucs speed bump issue.

Is there a place in the world for speed bumps...possibly.

Do I wish to discuss them in lieu of national politics and policies?

No.

That is why Bucs gets so many "I don't care" responses.

It's so small ball, it's not on most peoples radar.

It's like starting a thread in Politics:

"Hey, the barking dog across the street keeps me up at night.

Discuss!"

It's just not a national issue...which is what most of us come here to discuss.

This is what is called small mindedness. :eek: You're right, local government is very important and should be funded well enough to do the job the people want done...This is both the democrats and republicans as we both love the services.

We need police
We need fire
We need roads
We need schools
I clipped some of your quote to get to the point. Local government is important to those in that community and everything you listed is your problem not mine. I don't give a sh*t if your community decides to hire a million more cops, fire fighters or f*cking mimes. All I care about is my area. We have enough police, firemen, schools and the roads are fine.

Not that Mississippi doesn't leave a lot to be desired, but it's the Ritz Carlton compared to Detroit.

i live in California Buc.....convince my why Democrats are any better at governing than Republicans......where i sit they both suck....

I'm not sure it's a party issue as much as it is an issue of who runs and gets elected.

Much of politics today is an ego game, a game of power and money. The candidate with the most money gets his or her name out there. Most voters don't take the time to get to know who they are voting for, they vote "the name they know..."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1B5yaoJyU]Why you no vote Jeff Johnson - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back