Why Tipping Should Be Obsolete

Servers here in Vegas, on the Strip in particular, can pull in over $100,000 a year because of the tips they make. I know a few who do. They would never make that much if the tipping system went away.

All I really want is for someone to hand me a menu, which should really be on the table in the first place. Take my order to the kitchen and bring the food without spilling it on me and leave me alone while I eat. I think the difference with some is to them dining out is a bit of a royalty for the night event and want the dedicated performance of being waiting on.
Same here.

I want efficiency, no drama.

According to comments I read, Americans who come here appreciate service and tax being included in the menu price. They comment on the slow rate of meals, but perhaps don't understand that everything is actually being cooked for them.

Does it ever seem to you like people make up stupid shit to worry about?

That vid says it all, or at least what I was thinking anyway. I hate tipping, you pay enough for the service, why have to pay your beautician , barista, valet or waiter for the job they getting paid to do, anyway? Pay these people a living wage for Christ's sake, stop making the customer feel guilty if we don't throw a few pennies at their feet. It degrades us all.

The system seems to work for everyone. :shrug:

I don't understand the problem either. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the tipping system, IMO. If the service is good, I've got no problems tipping well.
So, a waitress serving a $200 meal in a fancy restaurant deserves ten times what a waitress serving a $20 meal in a regular place gets?

The system seems to work for everyone. :shrug:

I don't understand the problem either. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the tipping system, IMO. If the service is good, I've got no problems tipping well.
So, a waitress serving a $200 meal in a fancy restaurant deserves ten times what a waitress serving a $20 meal in a regular place gets?

That's no different than any other jobs. Some people have better jobs than other people. That's just how it is.

That vid says it all, or at least what I was thinking anyway. I hate tipping, you pay enough for the service, why have to pay your beautician , barista, valet or waiter for the job they getting paid to do, anyway? Pay these people a living wage for Christ's sake, stop making the customer feel guilty if we don't throw a few pennies at their feet. It degrades us all.
In Colorado, servers in the pot shops selling weed marked up 1,000% from street prices wanted a fucking tip.

That is just BS.

A $200 meal requires considerably more knowledge and expertise on the part of the server, who is often expected to make dinner and wine recommendations, and actually know what they're talking about. Servers in a fine dining restaurant need to know quite a bit about food and wine in order to do their jobs.

A server at applebee's doesn't.

What I do for a living, requires a hell of a lot of knowledge, arcane as it is. I don't get gratuities unless you count a Christmas fruitcake or popcorn sent out communally to the business I work for. I pay Darlene extra for doing my hair, not because tipping is required, but because I like her and she should get paid a hell of a lot more than her employers pay. That should be the issue here. People in the service industry deserve to get paid a healthy wage, not rely on the good will from a stranger like a pathetic beggar.

What I do for a living, requires a hell of a lot of knowledge, arcane as it is. I don't get gratuities unless you count a Christmas fruitcake or popcorn sent out communally to the business I work for. I pay Darlene extra for doing my hair, not because tipping is required, but because I like her and she should get paid a hell of a lot more than her employers pay. That should be the issue here. People in the service industry deserve to get paid a healthy wage, not rely on the good will from stranger like a pathetic beggar

It's not goodwill from a stranger, it's a bonus for a job well done, no different than a bonus in other fields.

A $200 meal requires considerably more knowledge and expertise on the part of the server, who is often expected to make dinner and wine recommendations, and actually know what they're talking about. Servers in a fine dining restaurant need to know quite a bit about food and wine in order to do their jobs.

A server at applebee's doesn't.
My GF took me to a so called fancy French restaurant.

She got some fancy ass dish that was in fat frozen scallops heated up in cream of mushroom soup, I got a $3 chunk of cheap beef, some stringy ass green beans, and some undercooked other kind of chalky beans.

She gave the waitress $30 for serving that crap AND paid for it.

Alone, I would not have touched it, and would have walked out.

The meat was edible, all six bites of it.

The bread was decent, when she finally brought some.

To be polite, I said nothing.

WTF else do you do?

According to comments I read, Americans who come here appreciate service and tax being included in the menu price. They comment on the slow rate of meals, but perhaps don't understand that everything is actually being cooked for them.
Or they are more accustomed to not starving waiting for a simple fucking meal. How hard can it be to cook something? It isn't rocket science.

Forum List

Back