Why Trump's Supporters Don't Care That He's Lying

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Very interesting article. Makes a lot of sense.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are seen as equally trustworthy by the public, and yet Trump makes false statements almost four times as often than Clinton.

How is this possible?

I study deception and trust and am frequently asked this question, given that fact checkers rate Trump's statements as entirely false 52% of the time compared to Clinton's 12%.

There are several possible explanations. One is that we like and trust people who look like we do, an effect known as homophily. This also allows us to discount or ignore things that we might otherwise not. That could explain why so many white men support Trump despite his persistent falsehoods.

The two candidates also have distinctly different communication styles. Trump speaks in a direct manner, with simple words and sentences, a style that comes across as authentic and trustworthy. Clinton speaks more cautiously, qualifying her statements and using more complex sentences, a style that leads people to believe she is hiding something even when she isn't.

But neither of these explanations fully account for why Trump's more frequent lies don't affect his trustworthiness more. One explanation is that this isn't really about lying, but about bullshit. In his book On Bullshit, Harry Frankfurt distinguished between the two by noting that to lie, one has to purposely hide the truth from others.

A bullshit artist isn't concerned with the truth, but instead makes things up to suit his purpose. He doesn't care if the things he says describe reality accurately. When the fisherman says that the fish was this big, with his hands wide apart, the actual size of the fish isn't what's important, it's the entertainment of the listeners.

And here's an amazing coincidence. A recent book cataloged all the synonyms for bullshit, and one of the oldest dates back to the 1400s. It originally referred to trickery and scamming, although its meaning has evolved to include general nonsense and insignificance. That word: trumpery.

Trump's bullsh*t: Why his supporters don't care that he's lying

"Trustworthiness" is a riduclous thing to survey people about because nobody would vote for someone they thought wasn't trustworthy.

You know something?

I really don't like Trump, but if he does win and I hope it's a Reagan style donkey skull fucking, that at least a few of you parasites live up to your insipid little promises and flee south to Cuba. You'll possibly find a whole bale of pot on the Florida coast if you look hard enough.

Just hop on and paddle it south and lounge on the beautiful beaches of Castro's Utopian Island and send us a post card you fucking retard.

You know something?

I really don't like Trump, but if he does win and I hope it's a Reagan style donkey skull fucking, that at least a few of you parasites live up to your insipid little promises and flee south to Cuba. You'll possibly find a whole bale of pot on the Florida coast if you look hard enough.

Just hop on and paddle it south and lounge on the beautiful beaches of Castro's Utopian Island and send us a post card you fucking retard.

They're unhinged...

:laugh2:

Supporters don't care about what he says nearly as much as Hillary saying she wants to turn our country into a Muslim free for all shit hole. And make sure we have no weapon of defense against them. I am voting NO on that.

They're unhinged...

:laugh2:

You support hitlery and I'm unhinged?

acf4ef3f9c49b487c190b415f9ba3f189fd250eaa65b8435367cbc3f25d8d9eb.jpg

Is that akin to the fact that leftards don't care that Hitlery lies like the proverbial rug and doesn't really think much of her little minions? Is it not significant that Hitlery is supported by the very banking oligarchs that have put this debt slavery system in place that own the very media outlets that have been protecting the lying elitist klunt??? Isn't that significant at all? Or that she and her minions paid protesters to start shit at Trump events??? Or that demcrat operatives not only push voter fraud but brag about it?

Answer: Not to a stupid fuck like you...the end justifies the means, eh, comrade??

When you liberals start caring about Hillary lying, let me know, and I might give a shit.

Is that akin to the fact that leftards don't care that Hitlery lies like the proverbial rug and doesn't really think much of her little minions? Is it not significant that Hitlery is supported by the very banking oligarchs that have put this debt slavery system in place that own the very media outlets that have been protecting the lying elitist klunt??? Isn't that significant at all? Or that she and her minions paid protesters to start shit at Trump events??? Or that demcrat operatives not only push voter fraud but brag about it?

Answer: Not to a stupid fuck like you...the end justifies the means, eh, comrade??

applausetelevisionbritney-spearsx-factor.gif

Now you're making fun of the disabled....just like Trump. Do you have a mind of your own? Or do you just copy Trump?

I have no problem laughing at retards like you who over hear your sister talk about shaving her pussy and then you get the shit scratched out of you trying to take a razor to the cat.

You should have adult supervision.

Starting today, Trump begins to slowly descend into the sunset. The press will follow him around for a few ,months. like they did with Palin, but he will soon be eclipsed by the GOP's latest populous nut case, and Trump will be back on reality TV firing some poor hapless slob for not cleaning his chair at an outdoor event.

Now you're making fun of the disabled....just like Trump. Do you have a mind of your own? Or do you just copy Trump?

I have no problem laughing at retards like you who over hear your sister talk about shaving her pussy and then you get the shit scratched out of you trying to take a razor to the cat.

lol what? You try way too hard, and fail harder than anyone else on this forum.

Starting today, Trump begins to slowly descend into the sunset. The press will follow him around for a few ,months. like they did with Palin, but he will soon be eclipsed by the GOP's latest populous nut case, and Trump will be back on reality TV firing some poor hapless slob for not cleaning his chair at an outdoor event.

Ahhhh yes, another stupid "unaware and compliant" leftard that the Hitlery camp covets........good job, "comrade".

(snicker)

Irony, thy name is SYTFE.........your lame generalizations belies the facts that you:

1: Suck at debating or making a coherent point.

2: Do your best to draw attention to yourself with insulting rhetoric because you have nothing else.

3. You take pride in the fact that so few even want to engage you in a discussion as if that's some kind of victory.....

Supporters don't care about what he says nearly as much as Hillary saying she wants to turn our country into a Muslim free for all shit hole. And make sure we have no weapon of defense against them. I am voting NO on that.
you said that about obama

You bet I did, and no one listened to me or the dreams of his father. And our country has suffered because of it. Hitlery has also told us about HER dream for my country, and it is worse. We either pay attention this time, or wave good bye to life as we know it, i.e. free speech, all of our other rights intact, not just the one's that Hillary wants to leave us with for now.
And I want a president who doesn't shit herself whenever there is a stressful situation. Like walking...
incontinent-hillary.jpg

And then dumping it in the commoner's street.
Hillary-campaign-bus.jpg

Where does she think she is, Syria?

Last edited:
]

I laugh at you bed wetters all the time.

I succeed beyond my expectations sometimes because mindless pukes like you make it so easy to ridicule you.

You're projecting because you fail at life. If you ever accomplished anything on your own you might not be a nanny state zealot.

you said that about obama

You bet I did, and no one listened to me or the dreams of his father. And our country has suffered because of it. Hitlery has also told us about HER dream for my country, and it is worse. We either pay attention this time, or wave good bye to life as we know it, i.e. free speech, all of our other rights intact, not just the one's that Hillary wants to leave us with for now.
And I want a president who doesn't shit herself whenever there is a stressful situation. Like walking...
View attachment 94501

And then dumping it in the commoner's street.
Hillary-campaign-bus.jpg

Where does she think she is, Syria?
But you said that obama would lead to islamic sharia law communism... and none if it happened so doesn't that mean it wont happen under hillary either, and you just need to change your meds?

]

I laugh at you bed wetters all the time.

I succeed beyond my expectations sometimes because mindless pukes like you make it so easy to ridicule you.

You're projecting because you fail at life. If you ever accomplished anything on your own you might not be a nanny state zealot.

Whats a zealot?

Forum List

Back