🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why We Are Doomed: The Chapstick Affair

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
This is yet another Nanny State Run Amok story. We can't keep our borders secure or ensure the safety of diplomatic staff...but dang it, we're going to keep elementary school kids from using Chapstick.

Apparently, Chapstick is a Controlled Substance, the use of which needs to be prescribed by a doctor and administered by a nurse.

I seriously hope I die before the kids being raised under such nonsense are in charge of the country.

An 11-year-old Stuarts Draft Elementary School student has collected petition signatures and officially asked the county school board to allow elementary students to use Chapstick.

Stuarts Draft fifth-grader Grace Karaffa appeared before the school board Thursday night, saying she had requested the substance while on the playground after suffering chapped lips.

"I was told I couldn't use it. Then later that day they (lips) started to bleed so I asked for Chapstick again and I was told that it was against the school policy for elementary kids to have Chapstick,'' Grace said.

Grace asked the school board to change its policy. "Chapstick allows the human body to heal the lips themselves and protects them in any weather from drying out,'' she said. She concluded her speech by saying, "Please school board, allow us to have Chapstick."

The petition contained 236 signatures. Those signatures included Stuarts Draft students and members of Grace's Girl Scout troop who are Augusta County students, said her father, Beverley Manor District Supervisor David Karaffa.

George Earhart, the assistant superintendent for administration with the Augusta County Schools, said Chapstick is considered an over-the-counter medication by the school board. The board has a policy regarding such medicines. He said Chapstick could be allowed if a physician asked for a student to use it, and it was administered by a school nurse....

Student s chapped lips lead to policy change request - Waynesboro News Virginian The News Virginian

yep , older people are generally in a better situation than the young upcoming generations in my opinion .

The PC crowd are issued Chapstick so they can keep puckered up for kissing the ass of society.

The public elects the school board. Maybe they should stop electing idiots and pay more attention to who their putting in charge of their kids' schools. Oh wait, that would require them to tear their fat asses off the sofa and turn off the tv for a few minutes.

0108-chapstick-ingredients.png

gonna be lots of restrictions on Freedom and laws on just about everything and these current restrictions and rules are just training for the future .

The public elects the school board. Maybe they should stop electing idiots and pay more attention to who their putting in charge of their kids' schools. Oh wait, that would require them to tear their fat asses off the sofa and turn off the tv for a few minutes.

Right. One should apply chapstick to a lot of asses out there.

That story in the OP was just bizarre. BIZARRE!!!

The public elects the school board. Maybe they should stop electing idiots.

Yes. Also, if kids bring lip balm, kids will share lip balm; a virus goes around, at least a couple of parents will blame the school for "allowing" their child to be exposed. Obviously, this instance requires an exception to the policy, which each school should be able to give without involving the School Board.

Yes. Also, if kids bring lip balm, kids will share lip balm; a virus goes around, at least a couple of parents will blame the school for "allowing" their child to be exposed. Obviously, this instance requires an exception to the policy, which each school should be able to give without involving the School Board.

Let's just hermetically seal children in individual antiseptic bubbles so they do not risk any contact whatsoever with the actual world.

There, problem solved.

Let's just hermetically seal children in individual antiseptic bubbles so they do not risk any contact whatsoever with the actual world.

There, problem solved.

Some parents will then blame the school for isolating their children.

There, problem solved.

One smothering stupidity after another. . . .

Is it the brand name "Chapstick" that is banned? Or all lip balm. It makes a difference, albeit a very VERY small difference.

ChapStick Facts Discussion Forum and Encyclopedia Article

Any given ChapStick may contain camphor, beeswax, menthol, petrolatum, phenol, vitamin E, and aloe. ChapStick Original contains the controversial ingredient Oxybenzone. However, there are hundreds of variants of ChapStick, each with its own composition.

The full list of ingredients in a regular-flavoured ChapStick are as follows:

arachidyl propionate, camphor, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, D&C red no. 6 barium lake, FD&C yellow no. 5 aluminum lake, fragrance, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, light mineral oil, methylparaben, octyldodecanol, oleyl alcohol, paraffin, phenyl trimethicone, propylparaben, titanium dioxide, white wax, propanol.

The LD-50 is pretty high but Phenol used to be called the Nazi Death Toxin and Oxybenzone is a possible carcinogenic considered especially dangerous for children. If anyone is curious, they can look up the other ingredients. I wouldn't used that brand name for anything.

Seems to me it would make more sense to educate parents about that particular brand but really, people don't want to know. They just want to blame. This seems idiotic but people are so lawsuit happy, I can't blame the school for being overprotective.

peach said:

boedicca said:

There, problem solved.

peach said:

And it's an absolute certainty that they will be Democrats. :badgrin:

And its not like it was when I was a child. Now some viruses are truly life threatening. We've just been hearing about children being laid low by a respiratory virus that has been incorrectly blamed on the refugee kids.

Like I said - some people bury their heads in the sand because they just want someone to blame.

peach said:

boedicca said:

There, problem solved.

peach said:

And it's an absolute certainty that they will be Democrats. :badgrin:

Many professional plaintiffs are apolitical; their time is spent looking for ways to claim injury.

And its not like it was when I was a child. Now some viruses are truly life threatening. We've just been hearing about children being laid low by a respiratory virus that has been incorrectly blamed on the refugee kids.

Like I said - some people bury their heads in the sand because they just want someone to blame.

FFS-If kids don't get a 'virus' from sharing chapstick, they'll get it from breathing on each other, sneaking smooches, or hugging each other.

"Respitory virus that has been incorrectly blamed on the refugee kids"

What the children really are is illegal immigrants and has nothing to do with the OP and school districts.

Last edited:

FFS-If kids don't get a 'virus' from sharing chapstick, they'll get it from breathing on each other, sneaking smooches, or hugging each other.

What they children really are is illegal immigrants and has nothing to do with the OP and school districts.

The latest outbreak of D68, while very serious, seems to be hitting those with asthma and prior respiratory problems. Only time will tell, it began in the mid west, I have read of no connection to immigrants of any kind.

What they children really are is illegal immigrants and has nothing to do with the OP and school districts.

The latest outbreak of D68, while very serious, seems to be hitting those with asthma and prior respiratory problems. Only time will tell, it began in the mid west, I have read of no connection to immigrants of any kind.

Not my point.

Trying to stay on topic is my point.

Forum List

Back