Why we should listen to the 97%

Be careful of placing complete faith in consensus.

Everyone has "consensus" with their own side, but we've also got all the science and all the data, while you've just got handwaving and conspiracy theories. A consensus is the only thing you have, but only a tiny part of what we have.

Be careful of placing complete faith in consensus.

Everyone has "consensus" with their own side, but we've also got all the science and all the data, while you've just got handwaving and conspiracy theories. A consensus is the only thing you have, but only a tiny part of what we have.

Not only do you place far too much faith in dubious consensus, Mamooth, but you also have a really bad habit of stating things as fact that make you look really clueless.

Hey, I'm not the one rambling out cult conspiracy theories and hatin' on the actual data. It's not my fault that the only thing you have is a consensus of kookery. You really need to put less emphasis on your precious consensus.

It must kind of suck to have the real world always contradicting you, but fortunately for you, you rarely dwell there.

Hey, I'm not the one rambling out cult conspiracy theories and hatin' on the actual data. It's not my fault that the only thing you have is a consensus of kookery. You really need to put less emphasis on your precious consensus.

It must kind of suck to have the real world always contradicting you, but fortunately for you, you rarely dwell there.

Really? You ignore actual data...that kind of implies to me that you hate it. It certainly disagrees with your propaganda... case in point is the graph below...it uses data from NOAA and as you can see this year is the lowest on record for number of days with a reading of 100 degrees or more.

The lowest in a century in point of fact. That refutes quite handily the assertion that there has been no pause in the warming.

screenhunter_436-aug-27-08-29.jpg

Interesting how poorly your graph lines up with actual temperature data.

ifr02e.jpg

I think what you just did is called CHERRY PICKING.

.it uses data from NOAA and as you can see this year is the lowest on record for number of days with a reading of 100 degrees or more.

So your strange logic is that one summer in the USA represents the total trend of the entire world. Plus there's the weird data fuzzing thing going on, where you use that peculiar statistic (days above 100) for no apparent reason.

But then, if those sorts of cherrypicks are all you have, you're kind of forced to use them.

ifr02e.jpg

Since you pulled your graph from an image hosting site, perhaps you would like to advise us what site it came from? If you don't know, why do you trust it?

And given the general consensus based age of the Earth, do you honestly think 60 years of recorded temperatures are proof of anything? At least Westwall provides a source for his data. The data presented in the graph proves only that extreme heat fluctuates from year to year and not much else, but it does show that the overall trend over the last 100 years does not support global warming much. It too is for far too short a period to draw any firm conclusions.

Last edited:

ifr02e.jpg

Since you pulled your graph from an image hosting site, perhaps you would like to advise us what site it came from? If you don't know, why do you trust it?

And given the general consensus based age of the Earth, do you honestly think 60 years of recorded temperatures are proof of anything?

The age of the Earth is absolutely irrelevant in this discussion. The time span necessary to give indication of climatic changes (vice weather) is what you're looking for. From 15 to 30 years is usually sufficient, depending on the parameter in question.

Pardon my lapse. The source of that graphic is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ninõ The graph was originally produced by NOAA.

Last edited:
Did you actually have some doubt as to what temperatures have done during the instrumented era?

2cyrtir.jpg

15da1ps.jpg

288pahk.jpg

314dkio.jpg

300g013.jpg

Here's a good one to address that bogus "Days over 100" graph that the right-wing side of this argument has been throwing around today.

28i9v8w.jpg

ifr02e.jpg

And given the general consensus based age of the Earth, do you honestly think 60 years of recorded temperatures are proof of anything?

The age of the Earth is absolutely irrelevant in this discussion. The time span necessary to give indication of climatic changes (vice weather) is what you're looking for. From 15 to 30 years is usually sufficient, depending on the parameter in question.

Pardon my lapse. The source of that graphic is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ninõ The graph was originally produced by NOAA.

Only one or two more years until the big "End of Global Warming Party" Yeahhhh !!!!!

:eusa_angel: :lol: :eusa_angel:

ifr02e.jpg

The age of the Earth is irrelevent? Really? You want to trust the paleoclimate models your guys are showing us as evidence of global warming and then say that the age of the Earth is irrelevent? We only need to go back 15 to 30 years to determine a climate shift? Is that honestly what you are saying here?

And your graph indicates temperature anomalies due to El Nino and La Nina, not mean temperatures. That's a pretty important distinction if you are going to use a graph like that to refute Westwall's post. Different graphs showing different information for different purposes.

Now the following quoted paragraphs are from the Wiki link you provided. It includes a brief discussion on ENSO that includes the obligatory tribute to global warming that Wiki writers will insert every time in these articles. But it does appear to be adequately referenced. (I will not take the time to check the references cited.) But at least it was honest enough to admit that there is insufficient data to know much for certain, the computer models are all over the place, and there is a possibility that the Earth's climate will stabilize itself over time as it has done for the entire history of the Earth.

That all needs to be part of the debate too, don't you think?

During the last several decades, the number of El Niño events increased, and the number of La Niña events decreased,[47] although observation of ENSO for much longer is needed to detect robust changes.[48] The question is whether this is a random fluctuation or a normal instance of variation for that phenomenon or the result of global climate changes toward global warming.

The studies of historical data show the recent El Niño variation is most likely linked to global warming. For example, one of the most recent results, even after subtracting the positive influence of decadal variation, is shown to be possibly present in the ENSO trend,[49] the amplitude of the ENSO variability in the observed data still increases, by as much as 60% in the last 50 years.[50]

The exact changes happening to ENSO in the future is uncertain:[51] Different models make different predictions.[52] It may be that the observed phenomenon of more frequent and stronger El Niño events occurs only in the initial phase of the global warming, and then (e.g., after the lower layers of the ocean get warmer, as well), El Niño will become weaker than it was.[53] It may also be that the stabilizing and destabilizing forces influencing the phenomenon will eventually compensate

Last edited:

ifr02e.jpg

I didn't cherry pick the data idiot. That is the number of 100 degree temps from every station going back 100 years. You can't even put up a comparable graph you're so stupid. How the hell do wipe your own ass?

ifr02e.jpg

It is? Why? The temperature of the Earth has been 8 to 10 degrees warmer for over 75% of the age of the Earth. That is a significant fact to ignore don't you think?

Here's a good one to address that bogus "Days over 100" graph that the right-wing side of this argument has been throwing around today.

28i9v8w.jpg

What fraudulent site produced that hogwash?

Did you actually have some doubt as to what temperatures have done during the instrumented era?

2cyrtir.jpg

15da1ps.jpg

288pahk.jpg

314dkio.jpg

300g013.jpg

Why did they have to extend their "reconstruction" into the instrument era? Seems to me that if you have an instrument record you use that instead of the "reconstructions" No?

Oh wait....that's right...Mann and co. have used "reconstructions" (read falsification of data) BECAUSE the instrument record DOESN'T agree with them....OOOOOOOOPS!

The age of the Earth is irrelevent?

To any discussion of contemporary climate, yes.

Yes, really.

You want to trust the paleoclimate models your guys are showing us as evidence of global warming and then say that the age of the Earth is irrelevent?

Yes, it is irrelevant.

We only need to go back 15 to 30 years to determine a climate shift? Is that honestly what you are saying here?

Yes, that is honestly what I'm saying here. But I suspect you're misunderstanding me. I am not saying that 15-30 years is sufficient to show the entire span of AGW. I am saying that 15-30 years is sufficient to show a change in climate trends.

And your graph indicates temperature anomalies due to El Nino and La Nina, not mean temperatures.

I have a large collection of graphics and just grabbed the first one that showed temperatures. The graph is actually temperature anomalies color coded to indicate La Nina / El Nino status. The values of the bars ARE mean temperatures, they just aren't using 0C as a baseline.

That's a pretty important distinction if you are going to use a graph like that to refute Westwall's post.

You need to slow down and try to get a better handle on this stuff before you try to jump anyone. The graph I presented far, far more clearly shows mean temperature than does a graph that indicates the number of days in a year that gets over 100F.

Different graphs showing different information for different purposes.

Yes.

Now the following quoted paragraphs are from the Wiki link you provided. It includes a brief discussion on ENSO that includes the obligatory tribute to global warming that Wiki writers will insert every time in these articles. But it does appear to be adequately referenced. (I will not take the time to check the references cited.) But at least it was honest enough to admit that there is insufficient data to know much for certain, the computer models are all over the place, and there is a possibility that the Earth's climate will stabilize itself over time as it has done for the entire history of the Earth.

During the last several decades, the number of El Niño events increased, and the number of La Niña events decreased,[47] although observation of ENSO for much longer is needed to detect robust changes.[48] The question is whether this is a random fluctuation or a normal instance of variation for that phenomenon or the result of global climate changes toward global warming.

The studies of historical data show the recent El Niño variation is most likely linked to global warming. For example, one of the most recent results, even after subtracting the positive influence of decadal variation, is shown to be possibly present in the ENSO trend,[49] the amplitude of the ENSO variability in the observed data still increases, by as much as 60% in the last 50 years.[50]

The exact changes happening to ENSO in the future is uncertain:[51] Different models make different predictions.[52] It may be that the observed phenomenon of more frequent and stronger El Niño events occurs only in the initial phase of the global warming, and then (e.g., after the lower layers of the ocean get warmer, as well), El Niño will become weaker than it was.[53] It may also be that the stabilizing and destabilizing forces influencing the phenomenon will eventually compensate

Whatever you may think, this does not show you to be open minded.

Due to recent research, it is now believed that global warming has altered the historical behavior of the ENSO (El Nino, Southern Oscillation) pseudo cycle. It is this change that has caused warm surface waters to be driven into the deep ocean. It is suggested that this is what has stopped atmospheric and land warming and caused the ocean's temperatures - particularly the deep ocean's - to rise precipitously.

Did you see the graph of global heat content recently posted? It was produced by Nuccitelli and the rest of the gang at Skeptical Science. I think it was PMZ that posted it. I'll try to find it. I thought it resembled the graphs produced by Foster and Rahmstorff showing the global warming signal devoid of aerosol, vulcanism, TSI and ENSO effects.

Until you can identify what caused the temperature trends of the last 150 years, you can't say it's stopped. Do you understand? Westwall and FCT and the rest keep crowing that global warming has stopped, but since they reject AGW, they don't have a cause for the warming in the first place and can only guess that whatever it might have been, it now has stopped. Do you see their problem?

Last edited:
The age of the Earth is irrelevent?

To any discussion of contemporary climate, yes.

Yes, really.

Yes, it is irrelevant.

Yes, that is honestly what I'm saying here. But I suspect you're misunderstanding me. I am not saying that 15-30 years is sufficient to show the entire span of AGW. I am saying that 15-30 years is sufficient to show a change in climate trends.

I have a large collection of graphics and just grabbed the first one that showed temperatures. The graph is actually temperature anomalies color coded to indicate La Nina / El Nino status. The values of the bars ARE mean temperatures, they just aren't using 0C as a baseline.

You need to slow down and try to get a better handle on this stuff before you try to jump anyone. The graph I presented far, far more clearly shows mean temperature than does a graph that indicates the number of days in a year that gets over 100F.

Yes.

Whatever you may think, this does not show you to be open minded.

Due to recent research, it is now believed that global warming has altered the historical behavior of the ENSO (El Nino, Southern Oscillation) pseudo cycle. It is this change that has caused warm surface waters to be driven into the deep ocean. It is suggested that this is what has stopped atmospheric and land warming and caused the ocean's temperatures - particularly the deep ocean's - to rise precipitously.

Did you see the graph of global heat content recently posted? It was produced by Nuccitelli and the rest of the gang at Skeptical Science. I think it was PMZ that posted it. I'll try to find it. I thought it resembled the graphs produced by Foster and Rahmstorff showing the global warming signal devoid of aerosol, vulcanism, TSI and ENSO effects.

Until you can identify what caused the temperature trends of the last 150 years, you can't say it's stopped. Do you understand? Westwall and FCT and the rest keep crowing that global warming has stopped, but since they reject AGW, they don't have a cause for the warming in the first place and can only guess that whatever it might have been, it now has stopped. Do you see their problem?

You're the one insisting that the trends from whatever pretty charts and graphs you post are the absolute real deal and must be interpreted as global warming as a fact and as a serious problem.

I'm the one saying I don't know but am looking at all the data, opinion, evidence, and history available and drawing conclusions of probability based on who I believe has the most convincing arguments.

And I'm the close minded one?????????

Forum List

Back