Wild Side Ornithology Club

And more (Love the music and aesthetic photography of the beauty of the cranes on this one):

Nebraska's Great Sandhill Crane Migration - YouTube

^^

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, testarosa. But my kind of awesome is all vicarious. You have the true path to their charming attractiveness and antics if they are around and frequent visitors!

We have them everywhere. This is what you hear when they're on their way.

Incoming!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOctNGaJy_4]Sandhill Crane Call - YouTube[/ame]

2 of the caterpillars are in their chrysalises. I'll try to post up some pics later today.

Monarch chrysalises are green with a gold band. Very distinct.

The girls are counting down until they come out!

3-290913212219-16323140.jpeg

3-290913212218-163221303.jpeg

Oh, my goodness! I thought that was a gnarled knothole. I thought it looked like it had a sculpture of some kind of animal in it. Oh, my goodness there is barring in the front. Is he an owl?

Oh, my goodness! I thought that was a gnarled knothole. I thought it looked like it had a sculpture of some kind of animal in it. Oh, my goodness there is barring in the front. Is he an owl?

Yes becki. Youve seen your first knot owl...... :eusa_whistle:
:lol:

Spoonman sees things I don't see. :redface:

And FCT is a knaughty wit. :D

Edit: Oh, did I misspell "knotty?"

Last edited:
After posting 2 egret videos in USMB - Hobbies - Arts & Crafts Homemade Quilts Have a Way thread, I promised this video in Wild Pecker's Comparison ornithology thread to edify differences between egret/heron species. Enjoy! :) :

[ame=http://youtu.be/bn6YN5Mb7mU]BTO Bird ID - Little Egret and Great White Egret - YouTube[/ame]

Egrets are so elegant, even when juxtaposed such that flying backward is their best option:

[ame=http://youtu.be/kcUyCUshvv4]Giant Egrets Flying Backwards - YouTube[/ame]

How wonderful are great egrets. *sigh*

Oh yeah?

Who doesn't take down his Christmas wreath for 9 months so little wrens or
sparrows can keep their nest? :muahaha:

Seriously, though, Spoonman, thank you for gracing USMB with some of the most unique bird pictures online and being in the right place at the right time with a passion for the friends that birds are to the beauty and majesty of this planet.

I'm completely bummed...the kids have misplaced my camera. I'm afraid it may not be *misplaced* but lost for real and for true...

We had probably 50 crows out back for a while yesterday...It was storming on the beach, I reckon they were just ousted from their usual haunts by the storm, and lit on our lot, which is pretty big, with a good expanse of grass-covered ground flanked by trees for cover......they were pulling worms out of the ground like crazy.

And no camera!

I'm completely bummed...the kids have misplaced my camera. I'm afraid it may not be *misplaced* but lost for real and for true...

We had probably 50 crows out back for a while yesterday...It was storming on the beach, I reckon they were just ousted from their usual haunts by the storm, and lit on our lot, which is pretty big, with a good expanse of grass-covered ground flanked by trees for cover......they were pulling worms out of the ground like crazy.

And no camera!
Koshergrl, e me.

Wow I really did it last night. It still says I'm out for 24. I can't believe I used up all my reps last night on one thread. :rolleyes: On second thought, yes, I can. :lmao:

My bird "find" for the day, found at Pamela Kellog's blogspot - Crazy Quilting and Embroidery Blog by Pamela Kellogg of Kitty and Me Designs: The Peacock Quilt

Here's how her bird "grew" into something very lovely:
( you can make them a little bigger here, but to really appreciate the stitches she used, go to her blogspot! The transformation is almost miraculous from the crazy quilt stage to the work of art that resulted after stitches were applied.

Attachments

• $Peacock Quilt 4.jpg
    $Peacock Quilt 4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 45
  • $Frames with Peacock.jpg
    $Frames with Peacock.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 50
  • $Peacock Quilt 1.jpg
    $Peacock Quilt 1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sometimes people don't know the names of everyday visitors to their yards. We see a bird with blue, but don't know its name. I just want to post a few I know about. If you're familiar with a blue feathered friend, please post it below.

First, the blue bunting (notice the beak is a large size), plus to make childrearing less obvious to predators, the female isn't blue at all. She's a color that blends into the landscape!

2541-blue-bunting.jpg
2543-blue-bunting.jpg

But her beak is like his, and somehow she is the apple of his sharp eye. Photo credits here: http://ebirdr.com/bird/blue-bunting

Last edited:

Forum List

Back