Wild Side Ornithology Club

To freedombecki

I was so glad this thread was about birds. That way I didn't have to explain that I just got out of the pool.

Great pictures and videos lady. Many thanks.

PS: I hated to see the birdie go down in your second link but she pushed the patient putty tat too far.
I did it to remind myself I still eat chicken and turkey now and then. And it's always so good, too. Even so, I adore all the birds for their beauty and antics. But you couldn't pay me to even taste the huge and beautiful birds that are usually on the threatened or endangered list!

Some dirtbag barbecued the Queen's swan this past week, too!

Becki, I think you'll get a kick out of this. the heron was back. my pond is drained low because I am doing some pre winter maintenance on it. so he has real easy picking to the fish. I chased it away and watched it as it flew off. it landed in a big dead tree at the end of our street. the first pic is standing in my back yard looking at the heron. hard to see, but if you look at the gutter on the right of the house, above it you will see the top of a telephone pole. the heron is at about 1:00 from there.

3-230813230518-15999982.jpeg

the second pic is taken from the same spot at about 30x you can see it better here

3-230813230519-16000484.jpeg

the 3rd was taken at about 78x and you can see it really good here

3-230813230517-159982444.jpeg

Becki, I think you'll get a kick out of this. the heron was back. my pond is drained low because I am doing some pre winter maintenance on it. so he has real easy picking to the fish. I chased it away and watched it as it flew off. it landed in a big dead tree at the end of our street. the first pic is standing in my back yard looking at the heron. hard to see, but if you look at the gutter on the right of the house, above it you will see the top of a telephone pole. the heron is at about 1:00 from there.

the second pic is taken from the same spot at about 30x you can see it better here

Wow, Spoonman! Picture 3 tells the story--he's the same color as the deadwood nearby. He blends right into the background for that reason alone, although, what a picture--to be able to blow it up that much and have such great resolution. Fabulous!

Wow, Spoonman! Picture 3 tells the story--he's the same color as the deadwood nearby. He blends right into the background for that reason alone, although, what a picture--to be able to blow it up that much and have such great resolution. Fabulous!

I've got a few more really cool ones to post

Wow, Spoonman. Those pictures are so beautiful! Rep was never more deserved than by you for your recording of creatures posterity may never see due to (1) airplane elimination (2) annihilation by windmill (3) man's inhumanity to endangered species when governments fall.

Last edited:
Wow, Spoonman. Those pictures are so beautiful! Rep was never more deserved than by you for your recording of creatures posterity may never see due to (1) airplane elimination (2) annihilation by windmill (3) man's inhumanity to endangered species when governments fall.

this guy is now a fixture by me since he discovered the easy pickings in my pond

this guy is now a fixture by me since he discovered the easy pickings in my pond

Spoonman, you know he could pick any pond. They know when somebody loves them and will do anything to come back. Birds have esp. Of that I'm certain. They come by my window and complain when the bird feeder is low. They know I'm forgetful but have food in a safe place. Each specie takes a turn, too. They don't let you forget them, and love it when you notice them preening, and in your case, are so interested in shooting their good side you wait for the right moment to snap the camera. They totally love human attention. I don't know why, they just know.

Spoonman, you know he could pick any pond. They know when somebody loves them and will do anything to come back. Birds have esp. Of that I'm certain. They come by my window and complain when the bird feeder is low. They know I'm forgetful but have food in a safe place. Each specie takes a turn, too. They don't let you forget them, and love it when you notice them preening, and in your case, are so interested in shooting their good side you wait for the right moment to snap the camera. They totally love human attention. I don't know why, they just know.

during the summer my wife does yoga out by the pool every morning. she is looking out across the pond and the Heron flys over and lands there pretty much every day. she says its a good luck omen for her

I have been feeding hummingbirds for about 4 years now. I hang their feeder in a Crepe Myrtle in the corner of my yard which is about 10 feet from my front step. They never pay much attention to me unless the feeder is low or out and then they all but attack me, hovering about 18 inches from my face. When I take the feeder in they come around to my kitchen window and watch me fill it. Then when I take it out they hover right over my shoulder. But for the past two days one of them has come to the feeder, drinks a little bit and then comes right up to me and hovers for a few seconds and then goes back to the feeder. He has done this 4 or 5 times now. I think the little bugger is befriending me finally!

I have been feeding hummingbirds for about 4 years now. I hang their feeder in a Crepe Myrtle in the corner of my yard which is about 10 feet from my front step. They never pay much attention to me unless the feeder is low or out and then they all but attack me, hovering about 18 inches from my face. When I take the feeder in they come around to my kitchen window and watch me fill it. Then when I take it out they hover right over my shoulder. But for the past two days one of them has come to the feeder, drinks a little bit and then comes right up to me and hovers for a few seconds and then goes back to the feeder. He has done this 4 or 5 times now. I think the little bugger is befriending me finally!
Yes, Bloodrock, he is thanking you for providing him the kcalories he needs to move those wings so fast they're nearly invisible! :D

I understand [MENTION=43879]testarosa[/MENTION] has children tending to birds of some kind, and I hope if they ever get any pictures of them, that she will share them. :)

Yes, Bloodrock, he is thanking you for providing him the kcalories he needs to move those wings so fast they're nearly invisible! :D

I understand [MENTION=43879]testarosa[/MENTION] has children tending to birds of some kind, and I hope if they ever get any pictures of them, that she will share them. :)

Becki! I got the mention and the thread title threw me for a loop until I got here. Whew! My daughter and her friends are raising some monarch caterpillars. I'll post up some pics later in that thread.

However..... I do have a black pecker head family living in the maple tree and I'd love to partipate in this thread!

Yeah, I could've named this "Aesthetics of Ornithology", but would you then have opened the door to that amazing world filled with foreign-language visitors to your backyard, shoreline, National Park vacation lands, or at a friend's farm?

Welcome to Shangri-La! Birds are a blast, but thanks to Alfred Hitchcock's epic film, "Birds" our entire culture (well, not all) grew suspicious of our global companions as fearsome interlopers rather than the caroling community and vermin eliminators who gather at backyard feeders across the civilized world, looking for a meal and leaving a song in our hearts and free fertilizer for our lawns and even the beautiful meadow flowers we see out in the country lands of America.

If you have a favorite bird, or know what kind of bird is so beloved in your state, please share a picture or two of birds you may have photographed. Because I am approximately the world's worst photographer, I will try to share credited public domain photos to those who kindly list their pictures as nonprofit use for amateurs who just love birds and want to share a picture of a particular type of bird with those who have a love for birds in common.

Thanks for opening the lost-leader thread, and as time goes on, I hope you enjoy the amazing world of birds, and I'm hoping one or two of you are avid birders, members of the Audubon Society, or registered ornithologists. Hey, I'm none of the above, but I love birds and admire anyone who has a degree in ornithology and respects those elusive little warblers as well as those fearsome wilderness vamps known as snowy owls, one of whom sideswiped my car on a dark, cold road in a snowstorm in Wyoming 20 years ago. Actually, it was a full-frontal assault with him diving at me, and I saw the bright yellow of his huge eyes just before he changed course and flew upwards as I was just driving down the road on the way home between Laramie and Clark's Corner. He frightened me so completely, my heart was thumping for half an hour afterward, and I'll never forget it.

Most of my experiences watching and enjoying birds have been very good ones, and they're worth every minute I spent enjoying observing their playful antics on edging out the competition at the bird feeder. And the farm where we live now has the special treat of being a favorite spot of those fabulous and inimitable summer tanagers.

Snowy Owl Invasion - YouTube

Some links that may help acquaint you with a wild bird you've seen that you cannot quite name yet and other resources for understanding our feathered friends:

Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Macauly Library

Patuxent Bird Identification Center

What Bird - Novel Way to Identify the Bird you just heard or saw

Smithsonian Institution, National Bird Collection

British Trust for Ornithology

Birds of North America - Life Histories of breeding birds

Birds of Mexico Checklist

Birds of Canada Checklist

Birds of the USA

Nature Worldwide Birds

thanks becky

we have developed a liking to the hummingbird moth

we plan to plant flowers that draw them

wonder if yo have any input as to the how to

you seem like the person to go to for everything moth

They love honeysuckles, just off the top of my head, Jon. If it smells sweet and has a neck, they probably would be interested as would be other butterflies, hummingbirds, and any critter with a yen for a sweet nectar boost! :)

I'm glad you mentioned it. I need to plant a honeysuckle, and find one for my area. We are blessed with a lot of hummingbirds, too, and have let the wild orange trumpet vines grow around the house, much to the insurance company's distress. I really need to cut them back because our home was "painted" with propelene siding before we moved here four years ago.

Anyway, I think my mother had honeysuckles in her yard once, and we had them when we lived in cold Wyoming for years. I saw both hummingbirds and hummingbird moths go for them in season. They're truly loved by flying creatures that need a quick energy charge.

They love honeysuckles, just off the top of my head, Jon. If it smells sweet and has a neck, they probably would be interested as would be other butterflies, hummingbirds, and any critter with a yen for a sweet nectar boost! :)

I'm glad you mentioned it. I need to plant a honeysuckle, and find one for my area. We are blessed with a lot of hummingbirds, too, and have let the wild orange trumpet vines grow around the house, much to the insurance company's distress. I really need to cut them back because our home was "painted" with propelene siding before we moved here four years ago.

Anyway, I think my mother had honeysuckles in her yard once, and we had them when we lived in cold Wyoming for years. I saw both hummingbirds and hummingbird moths go for them in season. They're truly loved by flying creatures that need a quick energy charge.

thanks for the information

we saw a couple of these moths and at first mistook them as hummingbirds

weird looking hummingbirds

now we want to welcome them to our yard

I understand @testarosa has children tending to birds of some kind, and I hope if they ever get any pictures of them, that she will share them. :)

Becki! I got the mention and the thread title threw me for a loop until I got here. Whew! My daughter and her friends are raising some monarch caterpillars. I'll post up some pics later in that thread.

However..... I do have a black pecker head family living in the maple tree and I'd love to partipate in this thread!
<you must spread some reputation around before giving some to Testarosa again>

Girl! You found us! :woohoo:

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics when I get back this afternoon or evening! :)

Forum List

Back