Wild Side Ornithology Club

While this may have nothing to the cyclone-like storm that has troubled the eu in October and November of this year (2018,) I found a weather report that shows what happened to a lot of birds in a hurricane in the recent past, which may be how birds have adapted a survival strategy to get through unimaginable weather:

Still praying for the birds, though. :eusa_pray:

Becki, ain't it amazing how they just seem to be connected to the Universal Subconscious that tells them to stay in the eye, just as they all just "know" to turn left in unison? Boggles the mind. One of many ways in which the animals are smarter than we are. Or at least more connected with Nature.

It is amazing, Pogo. For some reason, it never occurred to me that birds had ways to avoid devastation from a storm by just going with it inside of its eye. I almost fell off my chair when I ran across that video of tracking a storm that was truly and hopefully one in a millenia one that wiped out that many trees. I've lost at least a hundred trees in 9 years on my little wooded areas of my place, a score of them being centennial tall pines, but most of it was due to a several-years drought. This year, after a few more years of not seeing little conifers come up, we've had torrential rains like never before, and I was just wondering if trees have a way of telling Mother Nature "save us because we've lost a lot of centennial trees, and we don't have enough baby trees to replace them." Chemical prayers from earth's natural trees to Heaven? I'm hoping that next late spring, when the rains back down a little, I'll be able to walk out to the back acres and find seedlings of tall pines on the ground. I saw a few right after the drought years subsided some, but not enough. If I were a little younger, I'd look up ranching to see if the land just needed some fertilizer. So far, the deer are abundant back there, and I hate to disturb them too much, because there's also a small manmade lake behind the house that favors me with herons (one of them was a beautiful shade of mauve) and several generations of great white egrets I've enjoyed seeing for the past 10 years. One year, I had the rare pleasure of watching the mama and the papa great egrets instructing 3 fledglings (only slightly smaller than mom and dad) getting flying lessons before they migrated out of their seasonal summer grounds to someplace else. I did see a clump of baby tall pines out back, but all that's left of them are now about 12 feet tall, since they came up from babies since the severe drought of 2011 that lit up skies with fires in seven directions from my place after 2 months of awfully hot 100F - 112F average temperatures, half a week of light rain, then another month of 100 - 112F days as I recollect. Those fires glutted a lot of people's farms and forests all over the State of Texas, and I'll never forget it. I spent my time mowing around the fence so that if the neighbor's wild wooded area to the south, east, and north of my property would not send fires into places birds love on my property, and that if my place experienced holocaust, it would be less threatening to the neighbors as well. Nature cracks her whip if you live in the country. Last summer sometime, we had a storm that created small tornados, and I'm pretty sure several of them decimated my neighbor to the north's roof, 60' of my wood fence to the north, and here and there tree patches around Freedom Lake out back, and my last 4 tall pines left over from the drought, took the tops off 2 of them that survived 2011's furnace weather, and half the skeletal remains of a tall pine that was probably at least 130 feet tall it's last year before falling prey to the weather. I know what nature can do on 14 acres. What was done to 14 million trees north of the Mediterranean got my attention when all I was doing the other day was trying to find out if we could expect more rain here, and I saw the shocking news of a storm spreading holocaust over there in Italy and Austria. And I thought I had losses. I can't even imagine the pictures shown over in the EU.

Today's Audubon calendar is the Verdin. Verdin.* The one on the calendar seems to be grey with a yellow cap...

* Verdin Link is to Audubon.org, showing the bird, a map of Western states' southern borders where the birds forage for food, a photo gallery, and interesting facts gleaned from birders who've traveled there just to see the cute little birds called Verdins. They seem to thrive in the shrublands and mesquite forests. The site also includes their sweet little song and some calls. They eat aphids! Youtube

Last edited:
Today's Audubon calendar is the Verdin. Verdin.* The one on the calendar seems to be grey with a yellow cap...

* Verdin Link is to Audubon.org, showing the bird, a map of Western states' southern borders where the birds forage for food, a photo gallery, and interesting facts gleaned from birders who've traveled there just to see the cute little birds called Verdins. They seem to thrive in the shrublands and mesquite forests. The site also includes their sweet little song and some calls. They eat aphids!

Ship me some! They would feast here, plenty of aphids.

* Verdin Link is to Audubon.org, showing the bird, a map of Western states' southern borders where the birds forage for food, a photo gallery, and interesting facts gleaned from birders who've traveled there just to see the cute little birds called Verdins. They seem to thrive in the shrublands and mesquite forests. The site also includes their sweet little song and some calls. They eat aphids!

I think I may have seen one around here a few years back, but there aren't many mesquite trees in Walker County, at least none that I know about, and it takes a whole day to get to West Texas. I know they haven't been around because the condition of my rose bushes this year. I need an ecological friendly way to control aphids, and maybe the ants would leave, too with no aphid milk to relish. I'm sick of ants. They have the audacity to build mounds in the lawn, not to mention anywhere in the field or gravel drive edges out to the farm to market road. And I really hate their mounds by the gates and rural mailbox. I think there are birds who eat ants somewhere.. I'll have to look some up and see if there's any way I can lure them to stay year-round.

I think I may have seen one around here a few years back, but there aren't many mesquite trees in Walker County, at least none that I know about, and it takes a whole day to get to West Texas. I know they haven't been around because the condition of my rose bushes this year. I need an ecological friendly way to control aphids, and maybe the ants would leave, too with no aphid milk to relish. I'm sick of ants. They have the audacity to build mounds in the lawn, not to mention anywhere in the field or gravel drive edges out to the farm to market road. And I really hate their mounds by the gates and rural mailbox. I think there are birds who eat ants somewhere.. I'll have to look some up and see if there's any way I can lure them to stay year-round.

You have ladybugs down there? They'll feast on aphids.

I only get an occasional ladybug. I should order some next spring.

Well, I found this at a commercial website, but for what it's worth they say:

In the great circle of life, almost everything is part of the food chain. The abundance of ants means that they are an excellent source of food for many other creatures, including birds and other insects. Sparrows, wrens, antbirds and flickers are just a few birds that chow down on ants. Some of these birds also engage in the practice of anting, which involves rubbing crushed ants under their wings to serve as an insecticide or fungicide.

Spiders, though not technically insects, eat ants as well. Many a clueless ant has fallen into a spider’s web, becoming a tasty treat for the spider. For us humans, spiders serve an important role in the ecosystem, as they feed on organisms that we would usually consider pests. Do birds or beneficial insects feed on ants? | EcoRaider
Antbirds????? Never heard of 'em. I guess I'd better get the bird feeders on the front porch active again. The cardinals kind of took the place over, and the only birds who'd stand up to them were infrequent jaybirds and woodpeckers who ignored them entirely. I don't know why half the cardinals in the United States took a cotton to my feeders.

My sister's best friend used to bring ladybugs to her 2 acre place. I've seen a few ladybugs around, but they are so pretty the birds might consider them a delicacy. Not sure on that count, but I've spent a lot of time indoors for the last 2 months after receiving a pneumonia shot that resulted in over 2 months of pneumonia-like symptoms. When I looked up this year's shot, it said they were inoculating people for multiple pneumonia types of organisms. I've had really bad luck with flu shots (toxic shock and flu symptoms), and rotten luck with a lot of different types of shots until I'm not ever going through that again. The two month battle reminds me of a full-winter battle with flu shot allergy in Wyoming, which has 9- to 10-month winters. They all seem to get topped off with chronic bronchitis toward the end. I'm done with inoculations.

My sister's best friend used to bring ladybugs to her 2 acre place. I've seen a few ladybugs around, but they are so pretty the birds might consider them a delicacy. Not sure on that count, but I've spent a lot of time indoors for the last 2 months after receiving a pneumonia shot that resulted in over 2 months of pneumonia-like symptoms. When I looked up this year's shot, it said they were inoculating people for multiple pneumonia types of organisms. I've had really bad luck with flu shots (toxic shock and flu symptoms), and rotten luck with a lot of different types of shots until I'm not ever going through that again. The two month battle reminds me of a full-winter battle with flu shot allergy in Wyoming, which has 9- to 10-month winters. They all seem to get topped off with chronic bronchitis toward the end. I'm done with inoculations.

Wow, that was quite a topic shift :eek: ;)

Are you still recovering from that? I'm sending warm healing thoughtforms, you deserve them. I support your staying away from shots. I've never had a seasonal flu shot myself, ever. I think the body has its own natural defenses and we should let 'em work.

Well, I found this at a commercial website, but for what it's worth they say:

In the great circle of life, almost everything is part of the food chain. The abundance of ants means that they are an excellent source of food for many other creatures, including birds and other insects. Sparrows, wrens, antbirds and flickers are just a few birds that chow down on ants. Some of these birds also engage in the practice of anting, which involves rubbing crushed ants under their wings to serve as an insecticide or fungicide.

Spiders, though not technically insects, eat ants as well. Many a clueless ant has fallen into a spider’s web, becoming a tasty treat for the spider. For us humans, spiders serve an important role in the ecosystem, as they feed on organisms that we would usually consider pests. Do birds or beneficial insects feed on ants? | EcoRaider
Antbirds????? Never heard of 'em. I guess I'd better get the bird feeders on the front porch active again. The cardinals kind of took the place over, and the only birds who'd stand up to them were infrequent jaybirds and woodpeckers who ignored them entirely. I don't know why half the cardinals in the United States took a cotton to my feeders.

If you get ants in a particular place you don't want 'em, spray vinegar. They'll vacate wid a quickness. :thup:

Grosbeak

this one, and we have them in a yellow combination too!

P5126257.JPG

Forum List

Back