Wild Side Ornithology Club

One of those birds inspired me to waste at least half an hour looking for other birds of the same markings.

The red-billed blue magpie (Urocissa erythroryncha)

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• Urocissa erythroryncha1.jpg
    Urocissa erythroryncha1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 38
  • Urocissa erythroryncha2.jpg
    Urocissa erythroryncha2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 38
One of those birds inspired me to waste at least half an hour looking for other birds of the same markings.

maxresdefault.jpg

I caught an owl at the height of the Vietnam War on the 17th parallel and it was an Oriental Scops Owl. I named the owl, Al the Owl and about the size of your hand but had talons and my pet. Al could not hoot but whistled.

maxresdefault.jpg

Becki, I have been lax in bringing da music. So in tribute to your lovely post here is the Thieving Magpie by Rossini.

I love magpies, Pogo. I've heard that before, but in the context of Magpies, it is just like those birds! There's this little-known place near Lander Wyoming called "the Sinks." There, the Popo Agie River sinks down into a rock-covered small cavern called "the Sinks" then about a half mile down the road, a small, shallow lake appears, formed by a small, rounded rock wall where magpies gather in the summer months to eat small frye rainbow trout, sun themselves on the banks, and cheerfully banter with the other magpies

The river flowing into the cave at Sinks Canyon
wrc-sinks-canyon-sp_scottcopeland_courtesy_680.jpg

Get some trout food from the vending machine and walk to the end of the viewing platform to see rainbow trout
the Rise at Sinks Canyon
sinkscanyon-rise_gloria_700.jpg

th
th
th

Sinks Visitor Center (near the cave when the river "sinks" into the ground
sinkscanyon-visitorcenter_gloria_700.jpg

upload_2019-4-15_21-7-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-15_20-47-43.png
    upload_2019-4-15_20-47-43.png
    261 bytes · Views: 35
  • upload_2019-4-15_20-47-54.png
    upload_2019-4-15_20-47-54.png
    261 bytes · Views: 35
Last edited:
Wow, I had to turn the page on my Audubon bird calendar, which rendered me at least a month (maybe more) on checking out the calendar birds!

April 19, 2019, Black-tailed gnatcatcher Polioptila melanura
th

It's location is here for breeding birds:
ra7520.gif

Patuxent BBS for Polioptila melanura

OK Becki, here's a bird song from left field....

"O Pato" (The Duck) performed by pianist/singer Elaine Elias:

(Ducks can't say "quack" in Portuguese, so they go "quem quem"... :)

What a cheerful sound! Years ago, my best friend's daughter majored in Portuguese. When I asked how it compared to Spanish, she said, "Portuguese is more musical." Couldn't be truer, because when we visited Portugal, we were always around so many people, the language sounds just kind of went over my unwitting head. Thanks for sharing the great music, and ducks, go "cuen, quem,"- a-ok! :D

Oh, and thanks!

What a cheerful sound! Years ago, my best friend's daughter majored in Portuguese. When I asked how it compared to Spanish, she said, "Portuguese is more musical." Couldn't be truer, because when we visited Portugal, we were always around so many people, the language sounds just kind of went over my unwitting head. Thanks for sharing the great music, and ducks, go "cuen, quem,"- a-ok! :D

Oh, and thanks!

I hate to speak in absolutes, but having looked over and listened to a ton of different languages, I think Portuguese is the most sensuously beautiful language on earth, specifically the Brazilian version. :)

The Northern Cardinal
th
th

Northern cardinal
Bird
The northern cardinal is a bird in the genus Cardinalis; it is also known colloquially as the redbird, common cardinal or just cardinal. It can be found in southern eastern Canada, through the eastern United States from Maine to Minnesota to Texas, and south through Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Big Island of Hawai’i. Its habitat includes woodlands, gardens, shrublands, and wetlands. Northern cardinal - Wikipedia

One year I had so many cardinals visiting my yard, it became clear that they are very fond of raw peanuts. lol I was buying 4 packs of peanuts every week, maybe more. They made nests everywhere under the front plants that grow, and by neglecting the area I wound up with poison ivy I'll never get rid of around the front porch. I'm so allergic.

Lew Scharpf's wonderful bird identification video--sight and sound, American birds

Great video Becki :thup:

Recorded very loud though. My cat started freaking out. :eek: Now he's gazing out the window puzzled about hearing daytime bird noises in the dark :lol:

Something tore down my bird feeder, probably either a coon or a bear. Gonna have to make a new one.

Forum List

Back