Wild Side Ornithology Club

upload_2019-2-26_9-48-27.png

Love those red-winged blackbirds very much. :love_ya4:

The bird aesthetic's favorite wakeup call...

We certainly have a plethora of tufted tifmice here, they and the chickadees are the most frequent feeders.

My personal favorite wakeup call though is still the Phoebe. Beautiful cheery sound to wake up to and I usually get one nesting around the bridge outside my bedroom window.

Won't be long before the wood thrushes start gracing the dawns and dusks too.

What amazing photography here. And sound recording as well.

Thanks, Pogo. Those sounds are just totally beautiful. :thankusmile::thanks:

I'm not much of a photographer but I am an audio engineer so I'm really impressed by Cornell's recordings there. It's no easy task to capture a bird like that fighting off the winds and other background sounds, and takes enormous patience.

Some of those calls I sampled from other Phoebes were freaking my speakers out. :eek:

The boys after a snack.

View attachment 253199
Some of my favorite birds. I've seen two really fabulous groups of birds like yours, Marion. We were at an aviary someplace between Tampa and Orlando, FL one year doing some sight-seeing and visiting a nearby gallery of Tiffany's masterpieces, etc. On the grounds before you got inside of the aviary, there were a gaggle of these amazing creatures, and they were displaying for some of the plainer hens around. I just remember how gorgeous they were.

On another long-distance vacation (we lived in Wyoming at the time), we visited New Orleans and went to the zoo there. This was many years ago, but there were some spectacular peacocks and pea hens in one area of the zoo there (small but fabulous) with birds so beautiful in the peacock family, I almost cried. Seems that one of them was completely white, others were that royal blue and turquoise-green with patterned dots of purple and orange color on each fabulous tail feathers on the males. That's just what I recollect.

Peacocks and Pea hens are beautiful when the males are showing off. :)

Your snapshot shows just how beautiful the combs are on the peacocks, not to mention how they add to the elegance of an already spectacularly sophisticated piece of eye candy in the bird world. Thanks for sharing. My husband and I were fond of zoos. Our A's and Z's just happened to be Aviaries and Zoos! lolol Now, he's gone, and I miss those times of getting to see birds, mammals, and sea life. Oh, which reminds me. If you like fish, you must go to Lisbon, Portugal. They have this amazing humongous group of Aquariums a train ride from Lisboa to the Oceanario, I think is what they called it. Their zoo impressed me as being a place that the animals were very happy looking. I wouldn't have known the difference, except we visited a zoo in or near Oklahoma City one time, and every animal there was depressed. That really distressed me to see such miserable creatures. I read a few years later they completely remodeled the zoo to be more like their homelands, so I hope that changed from what I had the empathetic misery of seeing. Back then, those poor creatures were obviously unhappy. I got to noticing how the animals felt about their surroundings after that. Oddly, the smaller zoos I've seen--one in Las Vegas and the one in New Orleans didn't have that problem. They didn't have every specie on earth, but the ones they had were cheerfully challenged about their incarcerations. Kudos to LV, NV and NO, LA. Somebody loved to have their animals happy there when we visited. :)

Most of the ones we saw were actually somewhere in between, or else I wasn't paying attention at the time. As a child, though, I recall visiting the Houston Zoological Gardens (now called the Houston Zoo), and those were happy times from the time I was 4 until my teenage years. We didn't go every year, however. Dad was a teacher, when Uncle Sam/military/etc. didn't have anything using his skills, and he had to work in the summers to make ends meet. Fortunately, my mother's sister had a car and loved to take us to Hermann park for horseriding and visiting the zoo now and then. :) Seems like the younger I was, the birds were lured into staying delightfully out of the cages, but most recently (about 5 or 6 years ago) they had an amazing aviary, not to mention a totally fun butterfly house near the planetarium that is several stories high and accommodates a beautiful waterfall the vertical parameter of the specialized home for Lepidoptera mainly. The Zoo has an aviary. I'd like to go back sometime this year and visit the zoo before it gets too hot but before school lets out. About this time of year, teachers in elementary schools start taking their classes to the zoos, and any particular zoo in the world, you can tell them by a group of kids all wearing the same colors of t-shirts, probably because of being able to keep up with their own school's children is easier that way.

When I was growing up, it was come as you are if you were lucky enough to take in the zoo on a field trip. lol

Last edited:

I'm not much of a photographer but I am an audio engineer so I'm really impressed by Cornell's recordings there. It's no easy task to capture a bird like that fighting off the winds and other background sounds, and takes enormous patience.

Some of those calls I sampled from other Phoebes were freaking my speakers out. :eek:
Oh, my goodness. One of my friends in years past was an audio engineer of sorts. Lost touch with him, though, after so many years of being online. Some years, all I do is sew quilts, so it may have been the year I made about 80 quilts. That pretty much eats up a year when you're working on quilt shows for a business survival in a small town, and that year when I got back, his website was gone. c'est la vie.

I sure enjoyed the video you provided. It was truly some of the best music ever, and I'm not trained in bird music, but I know what is beautiful to my ears.

Oh, my goodness. One of my friends in years past was an audio engineer of sorts. Lost touch with him, though, after so many years of being online. Some years, all I do is sew quilts, so it may have been the year I made about 80 quilts. That pretty much eats up a year when you're working on quilt shows for a business survival in a small town, and that year when I got back, his website was gone. c'est la vie.

I sure enjoyed the video you provided. It was truly some of the best music ever, and I'm not trained in bird music, but I know what is beautiful to my ears.

How gratifying to hear that :) --- the Pamela Morgan song? She was the lead singer in a Newfoundland band called Figgy Duff (named for a pudding). Kind of the Canadian Steeleye Span if that means anything. Music is my passion. I'm swimming in it, worked in radio for decades. I like gifting people with music, just a matter of finding out what touches them. With your permission I'll post more bird-themed music -- you know, just to keep it on topic. :)

beautress LOVE the new avatar Becki. It's a reminder, gonna be that time real soon. Gotta get the nectar ready and the feeders up this week.

I remember one spring, I think it was March around this time, weather was warming up and I was on the porch saying to myself, "Self, I wonder if it's time yet to put the hummer feeders up..." Right at that moment a ruby throat buzzed right up to my face and snarled "HEY! WHERE DA FOOD AT??"

Might have shown you this before --- got one standing still.
hummer at rest.jpg

How gratifying to hear that :) --- the Pamela Morgan song? She was the lead singer in a Newfoundland band called Figgy Duff (named for a pudding). Kind of the Canadian Steeleye Span if that means anything. Music is my passion. I'm swimming in it, worked in radio for decades. I like gifting people with music, just a matter of finding out what touches them. With your permission I'll post more bird-themed music -- you know, just to keep it on topic. :)
Thanks Pogo. That would be wonderful. And I look forward to it.

beautress LOVE the new avatar Becki. It's a reminder, gonna be that time real soon. Gotta get the nectar ready and the feeders up this week.

I remember one spring, I think it was March around this time, weather was warming up and I was on the porch saying to myself, "Self, I wonder if it's time yet to put the hummer feeders up..." Right at that moment a ruby throat buzzed right up to my face and snarled "HEY! WHERE DA FOOD AT??"

Might have shown you this before --- got one standing still.View attachment 253372
Oh, that little gray hummer. What a cutie pie. :)

Love blue jays. In Wyoming, they loved the front yard bird feeder, but the neighbors didn't. So we moved. Now, I have everything--except my husband, who died a couple of years back. But I've now got a pair of great white egrets who use lake freedom on a daily basis in good weather months, and oh, are they elegant creatures. Make that fabulous. Especially the year they trained 3 youngsters to fly away at the end of their season here. They spent a few days teaching them how to take off, land, and then a week later, all 5 of the family were gone for the winter. *sigh* But the memories of them teaching youngsters to leave the nest, they were all so beautiful--family helping family.

Oh, yes, I've been collecting Jays in "pictures." I'm going to share some of the Bing! blue jays that are flying. Their patterns are so...they speak for themselves:

th
th
th
th

th
th
th
th

upload_2019-4-1_16-0-38.jpeg
upload_2019-4-1_16-1-2.jpeg
upload_2019-4-1_16-1-19.jpeg
upload_2019-4-1_16-1-35.jpeg