Will Obamacare's Loss be Obama's Gain?

The polls show no such thing.

Pfft....according to Gallup even most Democrats think it's unconstitutional.

2n4yabvzkeqoqljhlh9b9q.gif

Americans Divided on Repeal of 2010 Healthcare Law

Because that question is not written in a leading way at all...

You are correct, it is not written in a leading way at all...kudos to you.

Here are the links for text and audio of the afternoon session of whether the Medicaid expansion is coercive. Sounds like they will find that it is. As always...just perception and projection based upon the questioning and the tone of the questioning and who was doing the questioning.

I think this will be a 5-4 vote to declare Obamacare unconstitutional and toss it out in its entirety. Voting in favor of the government position will be Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayer, and Kagan, and voting against Obamacare will be Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Kennedy.

I predict that result on all counts.

I think the most telling line of the day was Chief Justice Roberts telling General Verrilli he had 15 more minutes and Verrilli's response was "lucky me". He got absolutely destroyed again.

Text

audio

Are you sure Sotomayor won't vote to scrap it?

The Supreme Court has no love lost for the presidebt. He's insulted them on the Senate floor to the point where few of the Justices attend his speeches anymore.

Watch for a loss for obama and his declaring the entire Court illegitimate.

I want to toss out a line of argument here for consideration. For the purposes of this thread we will assume that Obamacare is doomed based on the SCOTUS hearings the last two days. Many have said this will be a critical blow to Obama. Personally I am not so sure. I think it can be used as an effective weapon actually. Consider the following strategy. Keep in mind it matters not whether any of this ir true or factual...only that it can be sold to the American people.

1) Obama will attack Romney on the grounds that the Republicans through the conservative wing of the Supreme Court (and by extension Romney) just took away 40 million people's health insurance, allowed people with pre-existing conditions to be denied care, etc.

2) After Obamacare is ruled unconstitutional it's possible that businesses will breathe a sigh of relief that they no longer have a large financial burden awaiting them in the future. With this feeling of comfort and security they will likely start hiring again meaning unemployment decreases and the economy picks up steam.

3) Obama can argue that his economic policies are working if point #2 comes to fruition and therefore deserves a second term. Of course the exact opposite will be true: in that scenario the economy would start rolling because Obama's policies got throw out on their ear (and Romney will have to stick that point hard), but the average person will not make that connection and the media sure isn't going to point it out to them.

4) Health care will once again become a critical part of the general election campaign and most polls that I have seen show that people trust the Democrats more on that topic than they do the Republicans.....​

Your points assume that the average American is an idiot. Oh dang. The average American is an idiot. :lol:

Actually, I read an article about how this could help Romney though (at least with the base if not independents). The SC decision would reaffirm the concept that states have more police power than the federal government. He could argue that his care was Constitutional while the SC just stated that Obama's care is unconstitutional. That's a huge talking point!

Any leftist who believes 0bama will be elected in November if his precious 0bamacare is struck down by SCOTUS is just plain fooling themselves...

The "shining jewel" of his 4 years becomes null and void...

We can only hope. History repeats itself and he is a repeat of Jimmy Carter.

Any leftist who believes 0bama will be elected in November if his precious 0bamacare is struck down by SCOTUS is just plain fooling themselves...

We can only hope. History repeats itself and he is a repeat of Jimmy Carter.

Have you bought gas lately? Been to the grocery store? The EPA is slated to install obama's new mandates and start closing power plants this summer. obama promised that energy prices would skyrocket. Well, it's about to happen. The poor minorities will be locked in the ghettos and slums, can't afford to get out, shortages of everything, food almost at luxury prices and won't be able to afford to even turn on a fan. When the skyrocketing electric bills come in, some businesses will close, not hire, the economy will take a severe hit. obama will egg on and encourage the people who look like his son and the admired OWS crowd. That's this summer! By the time November rolls around obama will be fortunate if he hasn't been forced to resign.

No wonder he's cutting deals with our enemies.

The Supreme Court has no love lost for the presidebt. He's insulted them on the Senate floor to the point where few of the Justices attend his speeches anymore.

I would be stunned. I listened to all 6 hours of arguments and read the full transcripts as well to be sure and I am left with the impression that Sotomayer will vote with the administration on all counts

Your points assume that the average American is an idiot. Oh dang. The average American is an idiot. :lol:

Actually, I read an article about how this could help Romney though (at least with the base if not independents). The SC decision would reaffirm the concept that states have more police power than the federal government. He could argue that his care was Constitutional while the SC just stated that Obama's care is unconstitutional. That's a huge talking point!

That's an excellent point I had not considered and one that would reinforce his historical line of defense against Obamacare being the same as Romneycare. Great point

I would be stunned. I listened to all 6 hours of arguments and read the full transcripts as well to be sure and I am left with the impression that Sotomayer will vote with the administration on all counts

Sotomayor had a few criticisms. Did you listen today? It seemed like the court was looking for information on how best to dismantle the whole thing.

If you sever the mandate, you might as well toss the whole law. I don't see that happening, though. That would call into question SS and I don't see more than 4 justices risking that. It's a tax the Republicans preferred, BTW, a private rather than a public option with the option being "with whom" rather than "whether".

Regardless of who favored what...none of that makes any difference now....it appeared from Kennedy's line of questioning that he's at least leaning toward repeal. Obamacare supporters can forget about a vote from Scalia, Thomas, Alito, or Roberts.

Anyhow we're discussing all that over here.

As I said...for the purposes of this thread we're assuming it's going to go down.

After Kelo, Don't count on anybody at all.

You forgot the most important part... Obamacare was the entire platform for the GOP in 2012. They backed a massive progressive liberal who created Obamacare and supported it on a federal level before he was against it (Not Newt in this case lol). What will a guy like Mitt do when his base already does not care for him but now does not need him to repeal Obamacare? Oh I know... Landslide loss...

Oooh, but there are the few "anyone but Obama" voters out there... You know, the guys that only care about party over anything and everything else, even if it means you vote for the closest thing to Obama your party could muster up.

So funny sitting back watching both sides destroy each other while taking the same side on near every single issue.

No..and it won't be a gain for anyone.

And in the long run it might actually hurt the supreme court. The court has taken a very radical shift. They've been actively engaged in legislating politics and judicial activism. Two things it seems conservatives use to be against.

I don't know Sallow....I think the questions posed by the justices yesterday had a lot of merit. As Justice Kennedy pointed out, the individual mandate is an unprecedented flexing of the muscles of federal law and constitutional authority. Shouldn't there be a very heavy burden of legal justification?

As Justice Roberts pointed out, since when has the court said the government can only regulate the payment structure of an industry? You can either fully regulate it or you can't at all so once you open that door the government can do anything they want. And as he points out...today it might just be payment methods but tomorrow it might be something completely different and since justification for government intrusion has been established there won't be any way to stop it.

I don't think it's at all "judicial activism" to expect the justices to make the government prove it's case.

What merit? They kept asking the same questions. It was silly and scary at the same time. They all mentioned Brocolli. That's a right wing talking point. And of course the indivdual mandate is "unprecendented" as is most social legislation. But part and parcel with governance is the idea of the "common good", which, yes..the government is responsible for. The big mistake the Obama administration made..was taking a conservative idea. He should have went with single payer..which wouldn't have been "unprecendented". But he went with the market based solution to save the market created by Nixon. And this "industry" is unlike all others..as Kennedy..very belately..pointed out. In that if one person can't pay..everyone else does. And that has an adverse effect on society.

And I do think it's Judicial Activism when you start legislating from the Bench. Citizen's United and Heller are prime examples. As was Gore v. Bush.

If the Supreme Court finds that the individual mandate is unconstitutional, that is not legislating from the bench. It is doing what the Supreme Court was designed for by the framers.

I think he's a shoo-in for re-election either way.

Don't you mean shoo-OUT? As in 'Get the Hell out of my Whitehouse'?

"Shoo-"!

I think he's a shoo-in for re-election either way.

Don't you mean shoo-OUT? As in 'Get the Hell out of my Whitehouse'?

"Shoo-"!

I think Obama has the election sewn up already. Just needs to watch the open microphones. The GOP has nothing to offer except to try to tap into the hatred and hope that motivates a plurality of Americans to vote for them. Don't see that working. The right can't get excited about Mitt Romney. Do you think Dems and Independents are going to?

That's an excellent point I had not considered and one that would reinforce his historical line of defense against Obamacare being the same as Romneycare. Great point

The people in the state of Massachusetts wanted Romney care as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of Democrats they elected to their state legislature. Polls at the time also indicated they wanted this bill to pass.

The overwhelming majority of the nation do NOT want obamacare. And the election of 2010 ought to convince the diehards that support it.

If any other states want to require everyone to buy health insurance, their is no law that will stop them.

Forum List

Back