Will Obamacare's Loss be Obama's Gain?

I want to toss out a line of argument here for consideration. For the purposes of this thread we will assume that Obamacare is doomed based on the SCOTUS hearings the last two days. Many have said this will be a critical blow to Obama. Personally I am not so sure. I think it can be used as an effective weapon actually. Consider the following strategy. Keep in mind it matters not whether any of this ir true or factual...only that it can be sold to the American people.

1) Obama will attack Romney on the grounds that the Republicans through the conservative wing of the Supreme Court (and by extension Romney) just took away 40 million people's health insurance, allowed people with pre-existing conditions to be denied care, etc.

2) After Obamacare is ruled unconstitutional it's possible that businesses will breathe a sigh of relief that they no longer have a large financial burden awaiting them in the future. With this feeling of comfort and security they will likely start hiring again meaning unemployment decreases and the economy picks up steam.

3) Obama can argue that his economic policies are working if point #2 comes to fruition and therefore deserves a second term. Of course the exact opposite will be true: in that scenario the economy would start rolling because Obama's policies got throw out on their ear (and Romney will have to stick that point hard), but the average person will not make that connection and the media sure isn't going to point it out to them.

4) Health care will once again become a critical part of the general election campaign and most polls that I have seen show that people trust the Democrats more on that topic than they do the Republicans. Rasmussen , for example, has a two point edge to the Democrats on that issue. Obama will be able to bedazzle the voters with bullshit again and promise them ice cream cones and unicorns in regard to health care...and frankly they will fall for it again.​

Now I do think that Obama will take an initial hit when Obamacare goes down, but I am not so convinced that it will be a death bell tolling for him. I think he can use it to his advantage. And keep in mind I can't stand Obama so I am not engaging in liberal wishful thinking here.

Thoughts?

I'd like to (personally) THANK! the Teabaggers, for playing the....

Wait'll the Health Care Insurers get the Teabaggers home!!!

(after snatching For-Profit Health-Care buck$ right-outta the Insurers' teeth!!).

There's gonna be some SERIOUS ASS-WHACKIN'!!!!!

4c863a55ed3b2-wise-man-spanking-wife.jpg

obama is like the boxer who has been knocked down in every round, both eyes are swollen shut and he can barely stand saying "I got a real shot to get in a knockout punch".

Now I do think that Obama will take an initial hit when Obamacare goes down, but I am not so convinced that it will be a death bell tolling for him. I think he can use it to his advantage. And keep in mind I can't stand Obama so I am not engaging in liberal wishful thinking here.

Thoughts?

This is consistent with most political observers: those most vehemently opposed to the ACA weren’t going to vote for Obama anyway, whether it was upheld or not. The striking down of the ACA will help energize Obama’s base and act as a rallying point with regard to ‘get out the vote’ efforts.

Indeed, the Court will be doing Obama a political favor in the long run when it invalidates the entire Bill; with the ACA gone, a ‘weapon’ for the right to use will also be gone. And many voters will be angry that popular provisions of the Act will no longer be in effect, such as coverage for those with pre-existing conditions and adult children under 27 years of age.

Obama can correctly claim he successfully delivered on his promise to reform healthcare, only to have that legislation struck down by a capricious, partisan, and activist Court legislating from the bench.

Unfettered by the ACA and his base and supporters motivated consequently, Obama’s already good chances of being re-elected will only improve.

Thoughts?

This is consistent with most political observers: those most vehemently opposed to the ACA weren’t going to vote for Obama anyway, whether it was upheld or not. The striking down of the ACA will help energize Obama’s base and act as a rallying point with regard to ‘get out the vote’ efforts.

Indeed, the Court will be doing Obama a political favor in the long run when it invalidates the entire Bill; with the ACA gone, a ‘weapon’ for the right to use will also be gone. And many voters will be angry that popular provisions of the Act will no longer be in effect, such as coverage for those with pre-existing conditions and adult children under 27 years of age.

Obama can correctly claim he successfully delivered on his promise to reform healthcare, only to have that legislation struck down by a capricious, partisan, and activist Court legislating from the bench.

Unfettered by the ACA and his base and supporters motivated consequently, Obama’s already good chances of being re-elected will only improve.
.....And, then, it's....

...ON TO SINGLE-PAYER!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvaEjYorAd8]Analysis by Wendell Potter: A single payer system for Vermont - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1acHg3mhw[/ame]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Democrats shouldn't be expected to do anything other than claim a loss is in their best interests.

The loony left are so blinded by ideology that they will try to spin a devastating loss into a huge win. "It will be a good thing"....yeah, right. :cuckoo:

The reality: If and when Obamacare is struck down as unconstitutional- IT WILL BE A HUGE LOSS FOR OBAMA. Think about it- Obama is the "Constitutional Professor" who pushed for an unpopular, hyper partisan law that bitterly divided the nation. It is a flawed law in so many ways that we had to "pass the law to learn what is in the law" and it nearly had to be "Deemed" passed rather than actually voted on. This same law is later determined to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL? He's so "brilliant" that he didn't know it would be shot down? :lol: Sorry, it will be a devastating humiliation and forceful rebuttal of his signature piece of legislation. He will be looked upon as a total loser, because that is what he is.

Spin away mental midgets......

The loony left are so blinded by ideology that they will try to spin a devastating loss into a huge win. "It will be a good thing"....yeah, right. :cuckoo:

The reality: If and when Obamacare is struck down as unconstitutional- IT WILL BE A HUGE LOSS FOR OBAMA. Think about it- Obama is the "Constitutional Professor" who pushed for an unpopular, hyper partisan law that bitterly divided the nation. It is a flawed law in so many ways that we had to "pass the law to learn what is in the law" and it nearly had to be "Deemed" passed rather than actually voted on. This same law is later determined to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL? He's so "brilliant" that he didn't know it would be shot down? :lol: Sorry, it will be a devastating humiliation and forceful rebuttal of his signature piece of legislation. He will be looked upon as a total loser, because that is what he is.

He may be deemed a professor...but a professor of what? Circumventing the very document he's said to know?

He's been caught. He can't escape.

"This, of course, is the nightmare scenario for insurers and effectively puts them in a bind, a bind which would ultimately lead to the end of a for-profit insurance model in the United States."

:clap2:

825.gif
825.gif
825.gif
825.gif
825.gif
825.gif

"Will Obamacare's Loss be Obama's Gain?"

NO, however he might pick up some sympathy votes.

But will it be Romney's loss??? Hmmm... ( RomneyCare )

Obama wins all arguments because the media
hold the microphone for him.
He will say it was a major victory if the judges throw out
the whole bill all 2,700 + pages of it and his followers will buy it.

If the Supreme Court finds that the individual mandate is unconstitutional, that is not legislating from the bench. It is doing what the Supreme Court was designed for by the framers.

I agree with you. As i said I listened to the whole thing and very rarely did I hear anything but legitimate arguments on the merits of the case...but the perception of course by Obamacare supporters is that it's all politics. What they overlook of course is that adherence to the constitution is, arguably at least, a major element of the Republican party while ignoring it is the hallmark of the liberals. That goes with the Supreme Court justices as well.

So to say that it's being, or at least appears to be, tossed out on politics alone is only correct if you consider that following the constitution has itself become an indicator of which party you support.

Ironically, of course it's the liberals who are crying about legislating from the bench on this one when the four liberal justices clearly are the ones ignoring the constitutional restraints on the powers of the federal government.

I agree with you 100%...that's the reality. I am not so convinced that it will be the perception of the voters. See what I mean?

If the Supreme Court finds that the individual mandate is unconstitutional, that is not legislating from the bench. It is doing what the Supreme Court was designed for by the framers.

I agree with you. As i said I listened to the whole thing and very rarely did I hear anything but legitimate arguments on the merits of the case...but the perception of course by Obamacare supporters is that it's all politics. What they overlook of course is that adherence to the constitution is, arguably at least, a major element of the Republican party while ignoring it is the hallmark of the liberals. That goes with the Supreme Court justices as well.

So to say that it's being, or at least appears to be, tossed out on politics alone is only correct if you consider that following the constitution has itself become an indicator of which party you support.

Ironically, of course it's the liberals who are crying about legislating from the bench on this one when the four liberal justices clearly are the ones ignoring the constitutional restraints on the powers of the federal government.

I might point out, BTW, that the left's reaction to the line of questioning reveals the degree of Federal intrusion in our lives that they feel is appropriate. I mean the following quote kind of says it all.

"It would have been much better had Verrilli raised these precedents—especially the ones involving the framers—when he was confronted with the claim that Congress has never required anyone to purchase anything before. But one can see why he might have chosen the more cautious route, since citing the precedents would have required him to squarely admit that “Yes, Virginia (and Florida), there is a government power to make us buy broccoli.”​

Don’t Blame Verrilli for Supreme Court Health-Care Stumble

No. In fact it may just bail Romney out. The justices seemed to universally agree that an individual state can use an individual mandate. In fact, they seemed to agree that any given state could constitutionally enact the entire ACA on their own, but that it was unconstitutional at the federal level. If it's enacted at the state level it would not be subject to the Commerce Clause regulating interstate commerce....it would not be interstate.

So essentially Romneycare is fine because it's a state mandate, but the ACA is not fine because it's a federal mandate. That's basically what Romney has been saying from the very beginning. So assuming he can effectively stick that point I can see it playing very well for Romney actually because not only will he be vindicated, but it can be spun as "hell Romney understands what is constitutional better than the constitutional law professor".

Last edited:

It's the Pee-Wee Herman "I meant to do that" ploy.....:lol:

And you may BET it will be brought up should Romney nail the nomination. We'll hear so many comparisons made...it will boggle the mind.

Plus the argument allows Romney to cater to tea partiers by reinforcing his value that it was ok to do it as a state issue but not ok under the 10th ammendment for the federal govt.

And you may BET it will be brought up should Romney nail the nomination. We'll hear so many comparisons made...it will boggle the mind.

Plus the argument allows Romney to cater to tea partiers by reinforcing his value that it was ok to do it as a state issue but not ok under the 10th ammendment for the federal govt.

Precisely

Forum List

Back