Will the movie Selma inspire black on white violence

• yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is not a racist thread, all I am asking is, due to the mood today within the African American community, will the violence depicted in the movie Selma, of white violence towards blacks inspire black violence towards whites in retaliation. I saw the angry reactions from the blacks in the audience during the movie trailer, they were not happy about the white violence towards blacks depicted in the movie.
Why would they be happy? They have never been happy with how the opposition to the civil rights movement used the violence of the state to attempt to put them in their place. That does not mean that people are going to go right out and start looting. What seems to you to be ancient history is far too recent not have an emotional impact on AA people who see it. Having not seen it I can be certain that the message not to resort to violence is loud and clear.
I disagree, I think that the anger of the black community today is on a hair trigger and anything can set it off.
Isn't that you having a fearful reaction to a situation you do not fully understand? You are operating from a stereotype that does not reflect the reality of things. Movements need an underlying philosophy and if they have to resurrect MLKjr to do it right then this movie can only serve to make things less scary to you.

Why do you feel the need to insult me for asking a question? Why to you think I am afraid? you seem to be the one who is afraid. Afraid to face the truth.
OK here is the trailer in question:

Having been raised very near Selma and being old enough to dimly remember the events represented I see nothing but truth here and I am not afraid of truth. I am not trying to insult you by suggesting that you are motivated by fear, practically everyone is to an extent, I am trying to make you see your argument for what it is. We could all use a shot of courage these days so I am not putting you down for being fearful, I am telling you to have courage and a little faith in people.

Well, apparently there was some creative license taken, and according to people in the know, the film depicts the liberal LBJ in an unfavorable and untrue manner. Will all the movie goers discover the "truth", or accept the films version as complete and accurate history?? Interesting, but I don't give the masses credit to self-educate...too many lazy people willing to be spoon-fed "facts".

Selma Controversy Grows Over LBJ Clash with Martin Luther King On Civil Rights - TheWrap

Why would they be happy? They have never been happy with how the opposition to the civil rights movement used the violence of the state to attempt to put them in their place. That does not mean that people are going to go right out and start looting. What seems to you to be ancient history is far too recent not have an emotional impact on AA people who see it. Having not seen it I can be certain that the message not to resort to violence is loud and clear.
I disagree, I think that the anger of the black community today is on a hair trigger and anything can set it off.
Isn't that you having a fearful reaction to a situation you do not fully understand? You are operating from a stereotype that does not reflect the reality of things. Movements need an underlying philosophy and if they have to resurrect MLKjr to do it right then this movie can only serve to make things less scary to you.

Why do you feel the need to insult me for asking a question? Why to you think I am afraid? you seem to be the one who is afraid. Afraid to face the truth.

Having been raised very near Selma and being old enough to dimly remember the events represented I see nothing but truth here and I am not afraid of truth. I am not trying to insult you by suggesting that you are motivated by fear, practically everyone is to an extent, I am trying to make you see your argument for what it is. We could all use a shot of courage these days so I am not putting you down for being fearful, I am telling you to have courage and a little faith in people.

Well, apparently there was some creative license taken, and according to people in the know, the film depicts the liberal LBJ in an unfavorable and untrue manner. Will all the movie goers discover the "truth", or accept the films version as complete and accurate history?? Interesting, but I don't give the masses credit to self-educate...too many lazy people willing to be spoon-fed "facts".

Selma Controversy Grows Over LBJ Clash with Martin Luther King On Civil Rights - TheWrap

I will concede that this thing is a dramatization but the topic is a question if this movie will inflame racial tensions. I say it will not and instead have the opposite effect if any, do you think the question of historical accuracy will matter that much to anyone watching it? Of course I have only seen the trailer so I do not feel I can comment authoritatively on it's overall accuracy but the main thrust of the effectiveness of nonviolent protest is right there for anyone to see.

I will concede that this thing is a dramatization but the topic is a question if this movie will inflame racial tensions. I say it will not and instead have the opposite effect if any, do you think the question of historical accuracy will matter that much to anyone watching it? Of course I have only seen the trailer so I do not feel I can comment authoritatively on it's overall accuracy but the main thrust of the effectiveness of nonviolent protest is right there for anyone to see.

Since we're speculating on what the reaction to the movie may or may not be, we should be prepared to counter any racially motivated violence it may inspire. How will we explain it? As the mere insanity of one, or a few? As righteous indignation at the historically inaccurate portrayals? Speculating, of course.

It depends on which segment of the audience we're discussing. If we're considering the current activists, then those who are motivated to see immediate change in the present culture, may consider that the actions of people in the film were suited for that time and place. However, I don't think they have the tolerance for that level of patience. I'm not saying that it will light a fire under them to incite any sort of violent protest, but they see themselves as a new and different breed of protestor. They might be able to appreciate the historical significance, but I don't think that they'll agree it's the exact same path for them to travel. Also, in my opinion, the media has not served them well in the PR department.

Since we're speculating on what the reaction to the movie may or may not be, we should be prepared to counter any racially motivated violence it may inspire. How will we explain it? As the mere insanity of one, or a few? As righteous indignation at the historically inaccurate portrayals? Speculating, of course.

I still don't see how anyone can be inspired by the words of Martin Luther King Jr. and then go out and commit violence. If this movie is to have a strong emotional impact on the AA community I feel it will be to shame the ones engaged in opportunistic hooliganism to an even greater extent.

I still don't see how anyone can be inspired by the words of Martin Luther King Jr. and then go out and commit violence. If this movie is to have a strong emotional impact on the AA community I feel it will be to shame the ones engaged in opportunistic hooliganism to an even greater extent.

People with an agenda are capable of manipulating anything to suit their purpose...it isn't always a rational reaction from most other perspectives.

Except the movie falsely portrays LBJ as the enemy.

I feel you dozen no wut you is talken bout. I feel those inclined to violence will be inspired by his perseverance to take the next logical step in non-violent, Ghandi inspired resistance.

I saw the trailer for this movie this weekend while watching unbroken. With the anger lately with the black community, do you think this movie will inspire violence towards white people.

Are you scared?

See the same libtard reaction to a simple question. No I am not scared, I am armed.

People with an agenda are capable of manipulating anything to suit their purpose...it isn't always a rational reaction from most other perspectives.

What if the agenda is to get racial politics back on a less hateful path that does not scare suburban white people so much? If this movie has an agenda it is to get things back to a place where the only people who have to fear equality are those who benefit from it.

What if the agenda is to get racial politics back on a less hateful path that does not scare suburban white people so much? If this movie has an agenda it is to get things back to a place where the only people who have to fear equality are those who benefit from it.
The movie does have an agenda, is it what you think it is? maybe, maybe not. Go see the movie then pontificate.

Except the movie falsely portrays LBJ as the enemy.

Does that make the whole thing bogus and invalid?

The movie does have an agenda, is it what you think it is? maybe, maybe not. Go see the movie then pontificate.
I'll wait for it on Netflix, going to the theater is an expensive pain in the ass.

I'll wait for it on Netflix, going to the theater is an expensive pain in the ass.
Med Pop and Med Coke $15. $8.75 for the matinee ticket $23.75 total

Potentially dangerous in this case, if you're white and live in a "diverse" area.

I live in a remote location, not going to travel 140 miles round-trip to see any movie. I suppose I could see a pirated copy sooner but that would be pretty tacky.

I live in a remote location, not going to travel 140 miles round-trip to see any movie. I suppose I could see a pirated copy sooner but that would be pretty tacky.
140 miles from a movie theater? What are you a doomsday prepper?

140 miles from a movie theater? What are you a doomsday prepper?
I understand there are parts of the Mohave Desert and Canada that are 140 miles from movie theaters.

Forum List

Back