Will the movie Selma inspire black on white violence

• yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What if the agenda is to get racial politics back on a less hateful path that does not scare suburban white people so much? If this movie has an agenda it is to get things back to a place where the only people who have to fear equality are those who benefit from it.
The movie does have an agenda, is it what you think it is? maybe, maybe not. Go see the movie then pontificate.
I'll wait for it on Netflix, going to the theater is an expensive pain in the ass.
Med Pop and Med Coke $15. $8.75 for the matinee ticket $23.75 total
I live in a remote location, not going to travel 140 miles round-trip to see any movie. I suppose I could see a pirated copy sooner but that would be pretty tacky.
140 miles from a movie theater? What are you a doomsday prepper?
Nope, just incredibly lucky to have found a place such as this in the southeastern US. Also "round-trip" means I live 70 miles away.

Well, apparently there was some creative license taken, and according to people in the know, the film depicts the liberal LBJ in an unfavorable and untrue manner. Will all the movie goers discover the "truth", or accept the films version as complete and accurate history?? Interesting, but I don't give the masses credit to self-educate...too many lazy people willing to be spoon-fed "facts".

Selma Controversy Grows Over LBJ Clash with Martin Luther King On Civil Rights - TheWrap
I will concede that this thing is a dramatization but the topic is a question if this movie will inflame racial tensions. I say it will not and instead have the opposite effect if any, do you think the question of historical accuracy will matter that much to anyone watching it? Of course I have only seen the trailer so I do not feel I can comment authoritatively on it's overall accuracy but the main thrust of the effectiveness of nonviolent protest is right there for anyone to see.
Since we're speculating on what the reaction to the movie may or may not be, we should be prepared to counter any racially motivated violence it may inspire. How will we explain it? As the mere insanity of one, or a few? As righteous indignation at the historically inaccurate portrayals? Speculating, of course.
I still don't see how anyone can be inspired by the words of Martin Luther King Jr. and then go out and commit violence. If this movie is to have a strong emotional impact on the AA community I feel it will be to shame the ones engaged in opportunistic hooliganism to an even greater extent.

People with an agenda are capable of manipulating anything to suit their purpose...it isn't always a rational reaction from most other perspectives.
What if the agenda is to get racial politics back on a less hateful path that does not scare suburban white people so much? If this movie has an agenda it is to get things back to a place where the only people who have to fear equality are those who benefit from it.

You may have determined the intent, but the OP is asking for opinions on outcomes. I don't know where this assumption regarding fear is coming from, other than it's an easy explanation in the eyes of people who don't understand their opposition and want to create a boogeyman where none exists for most people. There was real fear on both sides 50 years ago...blacks fearing for their lives, and entrenched whites fearing change. There are two major issues that should be of concern, and those are apathy and/or disgust at the deterioration of relations. People need to care on both sides of the equation in order to come together. Could this movie produce any healing?? Yes, for those already open to a peaceful solution. The discussion at hand though is how it could impact those who are unsatisfied with the state of progress, and how they might respond. I just think it's too idealistic to expect those on the front lines to adopt the methods of the past. I'm sure the majority of them would prefer it unfold and their objectives come to fruition through peaceful methods, but I doubt they expect it will be so easy. They also have a responsibility to openly oppose the opportunists who will make their goals more difficult to achieve...not just looters, but they should say, "Thanks, Mr. Sharpton, but no thanks." He has no shame in profiteering off the cause, and is a sell out to the highest bidder.

How Sharpton gets paid to not cry 8216 racism 8217 at corporations New York Post

I will concede that this thing is a dramatization but the topic is a question if this movie will inflame racial tensions. I say it will not and instead have the opposite effect if any, do you think the question of historical accuracy will matter that much to anyone watching it? Of course I have only seen the trailer so I do not feel I can comment authoritatively on it's overall accuracy but the main thrust of the effectiveness of nonviolent protest is right there for anyone to see.
Since we're speculating on what the reaction to the movie may or may not be, we should be prepared to counter any racially motivated violence it may inspire. How will we explain it? As the mere insanity of one, or a few? As righteous indignation at the historically inaccurate portrayals? Speculating, of course.
I still don't see how anyone can be inspired by the words of Martin Luther King Jr. and then go out and commit violence. If this movie is to have a strong emotional impact on the AA community I feel it will be to shame the ones engaged in opportunistic hooliganism to an even greater extent.

People with an agenda are capable of manipulating anything to suit their purpose...it isn't always a rational reaction from most other perspectives.

You may have determined the intent, but the OP is asking for opinions on outcomes. I don't know where this assumption regarding fear is coming from, other than it's an easy explanation in the eyes of people who don't understand their opposition and want to create a boogeyman where none exists for most people. There was real fear on both sides 50 years ago...blacks fearing for their lives, and entrenched whites fearing change. There are two major issues that should be of concern, and those are apathy and/or disgust at the deterioration of relations. People need to care on both sides of the equation in order to come together. Could this movie produce any healing?? Yes, for those already open to a peaceful solution. The discussion at hand though is how it could impact those who are unsatisfied with the state of progress, and how they might respond. I just think it's too idealistic to expect those on the front lines to adopt the methods of the past. I'm sure the majority of them would prefer it unfold and their objectives come to fruition through peaceful methods, but I doubt they expect it will be so easy. They also have a responsibility to openly oppose the opportunists who will make their goals more difficult to achieve...not just looters, but they should say, "Thanks, Mr. Sharpton, but no thanks." He has no shame in profiteering off the cause, and is a sell out to the highest bidder.

How Sharpton gets paid to not cry 8216 racism 8217 at corporations New York Post
I don't have any bogymen in this discussion except those who condemn an entire argument just because the wrong people are arguing it to a media that is misrepresenting it. The problems are real and there is a real danger in ignoring them too long yet it seems to me that many would prefer black people just quit complaining and accept their lot in life. There has to be a middle-ground between submission and violent anarchy, Dr King showed the way and I do not feel that a refresher course could possibly hurt in light of recent events.

I feel any lesson the movie may hope to inspire will be misinterpreted or easily manipulated into being that non-violence has been tried and failed. 50 years later and the oppressive system of white privilege is still going strong. Our new leader will blame the crackers, the diamond merchants, and the homos. It is a conversation that is long overdue.

Well, apparently there was some creative license taken, and according to people in the know, the film depicts the liberal LBJ in an unfavorable and untrue manner. Will all the movie goers discover the "truth", or accept the films version as complete and accurate history?? Interesting, but I don't give the masses credit to self-educate...too many lazy people willing to be spoon-fed "facts".

Selma Controversy Grows Over LBJ Clash with Martin Luther King On Civil Rights - TheWrap
Except the movie falsely portrays LBJ as the enemy.
Does that make the whole thing bogus and invalid?
Possibly

I saw the trailer for this movie this weekend while watching unbroken. With the anger lately with the black community, do you think this movie will inspire violence towards white people.

I love the BULLSHIT line that 1000s of people have been murdered! In the 10 year civil rights area only 40, YES 40 people were murdered!!! See the civil rights memorial, dedicated to these poor souls! That equates to one normal month in Chicago!

Civil Rights Memorial - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I don't have any bogymen in this discussion except those who condemn an entire argument just because the wrong people are arguing it to a media that is misrepresenting it. The problems are real and there is a real danger in ignoring them too long yet it seems to me that many would prefer black people just quit complaining and accept their lot in life. There has to be a middle-ground between submission and violent anarchy, Dr King showed the way and I do not feel that a refresher course could possibly hurt in light of recent events.

I haven't seen anyone condemn an entire argument...try to refrain from going to extremes, and that includes baseless accusations that would promote such claims as "many would prefer black people just quit complaining and accept their lot in life." You definitely lose credibility in the debate with such statements.

I haven't seen anyone condemn an entire argument...try to refrain from going to extremes, and that includes baseless accusations that would promote such claims as "many would prefer black people just quit complaining and accept their lot in life." You definitely lose credibility in the debate with such statements.
I was offering my impression of the reaction whenever black people get "uppity" and protest something. There are those who seem to think they have nothing to complain about and treat the whole thing as a joke, or worse, a threat. This latest episode about police shootings has been really instructive on that point. Just take a look around this thread, to some, simply bringing up Al Sharpton or looters seems to be enough to in their mind to make their protests silly and ill-conceived. My argument is entirely too credible when the reactionary whites think the counter-argument to perceived racial profiling and arbitrary shootings by the cops is to simply blindly voice support for the cops instead of condemning the bad cops that must certainly exist in every department.

I saw the trailer for this movie this weekend while watching unbroken. With the anger lately with the black community, do you think this movie will inspire violence towards white people.

Any violence stemming from the movie is perpetrated by violent opportunists who are just looking for an excuse. Much like the Ferguson protestors who resorted to violence and looting.

10898108_10205080209312337_981726173699170501_n.jpg

I sure hope not. I really wish the black community would stop acting like idiots.

I was offering my impression of the reaction whenever black people get "uppity" and protest something. There are those who seem to think they have nothing to complain about and treat the whole thing as a joke, or worse, a threat. This latest episode about police shootings has been really instructive on that point. Just take a look around this thread, to some, simply bringing up Al Sharpton or looters seems to be enough to in their mind to make their protests silly and ill-conceived. My argument is entirely too credible when the reactionary whites think the counter-argument to perceived racial profiling and arbitrary shootings by the cops is to simply blindly voice support for the cops instead of condemning the bad cops that must certainly exist in every department.

You have really missed a lot of points if that's what you choose to focus on. It is not just blacks involved in the protests. It does not serve that side well when they attempt to portray those who aren't participating in the protests and/or show support for the police, as people who don't acknowledge that there are problems that need to be addressed. People get upset when they assume that blacks are stereotyped in a negative way. Yet some of those same people then want to throw blanket statements around about the other side. That's simple hypocrisy, and your focus on a minority of the group who don't meet your expectations, is flat out cherry picking to promote your tunnel vision of the situation. It's just as disingenuous as claiming that the majority of the protestors are looters. It's not the 1950's, and the vast majority of white people aren't sitting around their kitchen tables lamenting about how the black people are moving into their neighborhoods and all the horrors that they presume will follow. I don't understand why some don't get the negative impact of painting their perceived opposition in extremes...whether it's claiming that suburban whites are paranoid, or that black people have nothing to complain about based on the strides that have been made. Be reasonable and deal with the reality if you really want to reach solutions, because otherwise you're part of the powers of division.

This is not a racist thread, all I am asking is, due to the mood today within the African American community, will the violence depicted in the movie Selma, of white violence towards blacks inspire black violence towards whites in retaliation. I saw the angry reactions from the blacks in the audience during the movie trailer, they were not happy about the white violence towards blacks depicted in the movie.
Why would they be happy? They have never been happy with how the opposition to the civil rights movement used the violence of the state to attempt to put them in their place. That does not mean that people are going to go right out and start looting. What seems to you to be ancient history is far too recent not have an emotional impact on AA people who see it. Having not seen it I can be certain that the message not to resort to violence is loud and clear.
I disagree, I think that the anger of the black community today is on a hair trigger and anything can set it off.

Now the point of your OP becomes clear.

I certainly hope so.

WHITE PEOPLE MUST DIE!!!!!

Are you scared?

See the same libtard reaction to a simple question. No I am not scared, I am armed.

Armed and stupid......good combination.

Armed and stupid and emotionally crippled -- better combination

Forum List

Back