Will Trump Take Credit For This? Boeing Cuts 1,880 Jobs

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co <BA.N> has accepted 1,880 voluntary layoffs from its union machinists and engineers in the Seattle area, the unions said on Thursday, part of the jet maker's drive to cut costs through job reductions and other measures.

Boeing's machinists union, the touch labor that builds airplanes near Seattle, said about 1,575 workers had taken voluntary layoffs by the deadline in February.

Boeing's white-collar union said Boeing accepted 305 members for voluntary layoffs in January. Last year, Boeing cut about 1,200 white-collar union jobs - 850 through voluntary layoffs and 350 through involuntary reductions, said Bill Dugovich, spokesman for the Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace.

"Boeing has told us to expect about the same number of total layoffs in 2017 as 2016," he said.

The job reductions had been announced last year and workers had until Feb. 1 to apply.

"These are all voluntary, where people planned to retire or had other plans," said Connie Kelliher, a spokeswoman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers District 751.............

Fake News......yeah that's it

Funny how the details matter only when it would make Trump look bad. :dunno:

Funny how YOU left out certain details......
The details that point to those jobs being lost under obie?

Funny to watch people come to his defense and say he had no control over this...

Yet gave him credit for jobs created prior to this in other companies. I knew this would happen, I was just waiting for a story like this to come out so I could post it and see it for myself. Thanks for proving me right. :2up:
So we're supposed to not give credit to Trump who has kept these jobs here in a months time but attribute those jobs to obie who had eight years to do so and never could.

You may want t keep waiting for your story because this one isn't adding up.

Please translate that to English and then repost.
That was english, what language are you fluent in?

Funny to watch people come to his defense and say he had no control over this...

Yet gave him credit for jobs created prior to this in other companies. I knew this would happen, I was just waiting for a story like this to come out so I could post it and see it for myself. Thanks for proving me right. :2up:

Do you hold Obama responsible at all or do you prefer appearing a hypocrite on the matter?

Have I given my opinion on who is accountable for you to even call me a hypocrite? Thanks for playing.

:laugh: .. you're tone and intention is pretty obvious.. Obama gets a pass and President Trump's one week in office draws your ire

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co <BA.N> has accepted 1,880 voluntary layoffs from its union machinists and engineers in the Seattle area, the unions said on Thursday, part of the jet maker's drive to cut costs through job reductions and other measures.

Boeing's machinists union, the touch labor that builds airplanes near Seattle, said about 1,575 workers had taken voluntary layoffs by the deadline in February.

Boeing's white-collar union said Boeing accepted 305 members for voluntary layoffs in January. Last year, Boeing cut about 1,200 white-collar union jobs - 850 through voluntary layoffs and 350 through involuntary reductions, said Bill Dugovich, spokesman for the Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace.

"Boeing has told us to expect about the same number of total layoffs in 2017 as 2016," he said.

The job reductions had been announced last year and workers had until Feb. 1 to apply.

"These are all voluntary, where people planned to retire or had other plans," said Connie Kelliher, a spokeswoman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers District 751.............

I didn't leave out any details. I provided a link to the story. It is your responsibility to read it. Most here don't even take the time to do that.

I did and called you on your claim in the OP......that it's bogus. Trump isn't responsible for a planned voluntary layoff that all Boeing employees knew was coming since LAST YEAR.......they had until February deadline to take it.

Do you hold Obama responsible at all or do you prefer appearing a hypocrite on the matter?

Have I given my opinion on who is accountable for you to even call me a hypocrite? Thanks for playing.

:laugh: .. you're tone and intention is pretty obvious.. Obama gets a pass and President Trump's one week in office draws your ire

Wait we assume things now? So we shouldn't assume things Sessions did but you can assume how I feel about Obama? :lmao:

I didn't leave out any details. I provided a link to the story. It is your responsibility to read it. Most here don't even take the time to do that.

I did and called you on your claim in the OP......that it's bogus. Trump isn't responsible for a planned voluntary layoff that all Boeing employees knew was coming since LAST YEAR.......they had until February deadline to take it.

Again, so details only matter when it puts Trump in a bad light? what about all the jobs that were created that he took credit for that were in the works before Trump became President? It's the same thing... but Trumpbots will argue until they are blue in the face that Trump should credit for the new jobs, and now you guys are arguing that he shouldn't be blamed for these layoffs... it's fucking hilarious.

Wait we assume things now? So we shouldn't assume things Sessions did but you can assume how I feel about Obama? :lmao:

Yup and now you're changing the topic? .. yawn...

I'm rebutting your statement. Again, your partisanship is showing. How about you come back and we can discuss this when you don't have a bias for the Republican party? K? thanks. :fu:

In addition to the title question, given Trump's predilection for equivocation, prevarication and paltering, one must ask also whether Trump will consider those workers as part of the 94M people he cited as not being in the workforce. Of course, they aren't in the workforce, but like the majority of the 94M people Trump cited in his first address to Congress, it is by their own choice that they are not, thus they don't count as being unemployed.

I'm a member of the workforce, but only because I'm waiting to reach the age whereat I qualify for a reasonable portion of my Social Security and Medicare benefit. My dad isn't in the labor force, and doesn't want to be. Three of my kids are in college and have no interest in working, other than to do career-related internships or graduate assistantships. Of the 94M people who are not in the labor force, only 7.6 million people are actually unemployed, that is, wanting to work and not in possession of a job. There are now 1800 more people not in the labor force and not wanting a job, which we know must be insofar as they had one and quit. I doubt many, if any, were, like Gen. Flynn, forced to resign.

Boeing Co has accepted 1,880 voluntary layoffs from its union machinists and engineers in the Seattle area, the unions said on Thursday, part of the jet maker's drive to cut costs through job reductions and other measures

What the hell kind of oxymoron is "voluntary layoff?"
  • Leave a job voluntarily --> quit, retire, or resign.
  • Leave a job involuntarily --> get laid off; get fired, be "out-counseled"
Who thinks up crap phrases/terms like that? Whoever it is, they are who need to be "voluntarily laid off."

Will Trump take credit for this: Boeing Cuts 1,880 Jobs?

Wouldn't that depend on the bid Boeing gives for the FA-18 Super Hornet? Those cuts may be what Boeing had to do to undercut Lockheed's price for the FA-35 JSF?

[types of workers who left] --> machinists and engineers
I mean those are likely "good" jobs, right? I don't know specifically what the pay is for the workers in question, but I found a site that identifies the pay for some seemingly comparable jobs at Boeing. Averaging the wages of three of the hourly rate jobs I found there -- two mechanics and one engineer -- I arrive at an annual "base" salary of ~$64.5K/year, and extending that over 1800 jobs, I estimate Boeing will reduce its labor costs by some ~$116M (in cash) this year alone as a result of the 1800 "voluntary layoffs."

in the Seattle area

These are just straight-up layoffs. Boeing didn't move its factory to a lower labor-cost locality or country. The job cuts were almost certainly sought by Boeing so it could trade labor for capital. Moreover, Boeing stated that "in December it would cut an as-yet-undetermined number of jobs in 2017. There's really only one reason (aside from Boeing's being in financial trouble) for that: not enough people quit and the Boeing knows once it acquires the capital equipment that can replace workers, it won't need the people it'll this year layoff.

I'm rebutting your statement. Again, your partisanship is showing. How about you come back and we can discuss this when you don't have a bias for the Republican party? K? thanks. :fu:

:laugh: ... cowardice proven, hypocrisy proven, childlike reasoning proven and emotional stability highly questionable.

Later little man... you're officially a waste of time and effort ... :itsok:

Again, so details only matter when it puts Trump in a bad light? what about all the jobs that were created that he took credit for that were in the works before Trump became President? It's the same thing... but Trumpbots will argue until they are blue in the face that Trump should credit for the new jobs, and now you guys are arguing that he shouldn't be blamed for these layoffs... it's fucking hilarious.

Again.......link???

Trump has taken credit for all the new jobs in the U.S. lately despite many of the plans already being in place before he became President. So will he take credit for Boeing's move to cut 1,880 jobs through "voluntary layoffs?" Basically Boeing got rid of these people by offering them a buy out to quit.

"SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co has accepted 1,880 voluntary layoffs from its union machinists and engineers in the Seattle area, the unions said on Thursday, part of the jet maker's drive to cut costs through job reductions and other measures."

Boeing gets 1,880 union workers to take voluntary layoffs

That happens all of the time...especially in the aircraft industry.
And it has for years.

:laugh: ... cowardice proven, hypocrisy proven, childlike reasoning proven and emotional stability highly questionable.

Later little man... you're officially a waste of time and effort ... :itsok:

:lmao: I love when people that can't discuss the actual topic because they are so blinded by their partisanship who then make such shitty comments as they walk out the door... just so they can feel like a big man for getting in the last word.

Again.......link???

Link to what?!!? How many threads were made about Trump taking credit for Carrier, Ford, Chrysler, etc.?

Again.......link???

Link to what?!!? How many threads were made about Trump taking credit for Carrier, Ford, Chrysler, etc.?

no not other threads......actual sources

Trump has taken credit for all the new jobs in the U.S. lately despite many of the plans already being in place before he became President. So will he take credit for Boeing's move to cut 1,880 jobs through "voluntary layoffs?" Basically Boeing got rid of these people by offering them a buy out to quit.

"SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co has accepted 1,880 voluntary layoffs from its union machinists and engineers in the Seattle area, the unions said on Thursday, part of the jet maker's drive to cut costs through job reductions and other measures."

Now that's there's a business friendly government, Boeing will likely leave Washington State all together over the next few years.

Now that's there's a business friendly government, Boeing will likely leave Washington State all together over the next few years.

For many years Boeing was the largest employer in this state, this was their home......once they moved HQ to Chicago most here have been expecting them to move out completely........if so, this state will take a big hit economically. Even though we now have other large employers, there are many suppliers to Boeing that won't be needed if they do move.......that trickle down effect.

For many years Boeing was the largest employer in this state, this was their home......once they moved HQ to Chicago most here have been expecting them to move out completely........if so, this state will take a big hit economically. Even though we now have other large employers, there are many suppliers to Boeing that won't be needed if they do move.......that trickle down effect.

Just like Ca, they only have themselves to blame.

Of course. They're shifting to South Carolina. No one is going to stay in socialist Seattle.

Of course. They're shifting to South Carolina. No one is going to stay in socialist Seattle.

They also have plants in AZ, Kansas, MO, other states as well as globally. SC isn't the only other option.

Forum List

Back