Will we torture again?

Because torture violates the supreme law of the land.
"It is debated as to whether or not torture as a punishment falls under the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted "

"The U.S. Supreme Court has held since at least the 1890s that punishments that involved torture are forbidden under the Eighth Amendment."
Torture in the United States - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
[/QUOTE]

It also violates the federal law and international law on torture that ronald reagan signed in the 1980s.

A time when the republican party wasn't taken over by crazy cowards.

I don't know if we will use enhanced interrogation again what I am 99.9% sure of is if we do get hit with another 9-11 type attack the people who are trashing the CIA now for using those techniques will be the same ones demanding to know why we did not have better intel know more and be able to prevent such an attack.

:cuckoo: What legitimate info did we get out of prisoners with torture?

I don't know if we will use enhanced interrogation again what I am 99.9% sure of is if we do get hit with another 9-11 type attack the people who are trashing the CIA now for using those techniques will be the same ones demanding to know why we did not have better intel know more and be able to prevent such an attack.

The bin Laden courier for one also glad to see you totally missed the point that being if we should get hit again with a 9-11 style attack the very same people who decry those techinques will be the exact same people demanding to know why we didn't know more. It's really hard to say what kind of info they got because the intelligence community as a general rule does not broadcast what info they get and how they get it to do so would be rather counter productive.

The bin Laden courier for one also glad to see you totally missed the point that being if we should get hit again with a 9-11 style attack the very same people who decry those techinques will be the exact same people demanding to know why we didn't know more. It's really hard to say what kind of info they got because the intelligence community as a general rule does not broadcast what info they get and how they get it to do so would be rather counter productive.

They sure as hell did not get bin Laden's courier through torture, that's pure fiction.

They, you, me and everyone else other then the CIA has any kind of knowledge to what was gotten. I know if I were tortured it wouldn't take long for me to spill my pin number.

"Can we now say with confidence that our government will not use torture again and that Americans in the future will rise up to prevent it from doing so? In light of the reaction to the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report, I fear that we can’t." Dionne Will we torture again The Salt Lake Tribune

Too many of our citizens do not understand that acting like AQ or the Gestapo or ISIS ISIL whatever makes us no different than AQ or the Gestapo or ISIS ISIL.
The fact that we even discuss whether or not torture is a good idea shows how far our society has deteriorated. The qualities and attributes that once made America "exceptional" are no longer relevant.

They sure as hell did not get bin Laden's courier through torture, that's pure fiction.
Your right they didn't get him through torture that is pure fiction they got him through approved interrogation techinques. Good to see your finally catching on. Time for first pitch someone else will have to pick up this conversation going foreward.

Water boarding for no more than 45 seconds per application and advising the subject ahead of time that the procedure would not kill them is not "torture." To compare our controlled water boarding to the methods used by the Gestapo is obscene and ridiculous.

Furthermore, the few terrorists who were water boarded had every opportunity to avoid it by cooperating with the interrogators. They were only water boarded as a last resort, because they would not disclose vital information before then. Liberals usually ignore this key fact.

And I notice the liberals who are whining about "torture" have no problem with Planned Parenthood taking third semester babies, crushing their skulls, and then harvesting their body parts for sale. What a pack of immoral hypocrites.

"Can we now say with confidence that our government will not use torture again and that Americans in the future will rise up to prevent it from doing so? In light of the reaction to the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report, I fear that we can’t." Dionne Will we torture again The Salt Lake Tribune

Too many of our citizens do not understand that acting like AQ or the Gestapo or ISIS ISIL whatever makes us no different than AQ or the Gestapo or ISIS ISIL.
The fact that we even discuss whether or not torture is a good idea shows how far our society has deteriorated. The qualities and attributes that once made America "exceptional" are no longer relevant.
Water boarding for no more than 45 seconds per application and advising the subject ahead of time that the procedure would not kill them is not "torture." To compare our controlled water boarding to the methods used by the Gestapo is obscene and ridiculous.

Furthermore, the few terrorists who were water boarded had every opportunity to avoid it by cooperating with the interrogators. They were only water boarded as a last resort, because they would not disclose vital information before then.

You live in fantasy land. We tortured innocent people to death with rectal infusion while handcuffed to a wall where he froze to death. The Senate Intel Report says we got no good intel from torture.

Last edited:

Furthermore, the few terrorists who were water boarded had every opportunity to avoid it by cooperating with the interrogators. They were only water boarded as a last resort, because they would not disclose vital information before then. Liberals usually ignore this key fact.

And I notice the liberals who are whining about "torture" have no problem with Planned Parenthood taking third semester babies, crushing their skulls, and then harvesting their body parts for sale. What a pack of immoral hypocrites.
Waterboarding is and always has been torture. We hanged Japanese officers for waterboarding American prisoners.

All of the evidence on torture's effectiveness clearly leans to the side that it is counterproductive.

YAWN

we don't torture anybody. we hand them over to our "friends" and before it's all over that poor slob wishes he was never born, wishes he was only waterboarded..

it's called RENDITION and Obama has absolutely retained the right to practice it. too bad many sanctimonious idiots don't make themselves aware of the facts before starting threads

Torture is wrong in my opinion. What I find disingenuous about is the arguments. First of all most, including myself, on this board would not stand up to torture very long in my opinion. That does not make torture viable only understandable. Much like when Allen fired a gun next to a captured enemy, is that torture? The left wing sure smeared Allen as if it were. (army also)

My point is that it seems very strange to me that the left will do all it can to protect the most vile in our society, yet the most innocent they are willing to send to the ovens or sell their body parts. On the other hand there are those on the right that are are all for torture, of other people, and yet say they are against abortion. On the left it seems that guilt/innocents doesn't matter they have made a stand that actually makes no sense other then to tear the fabric of society, even if they don't sincerly realize it. At least the arguments on the right are somewhat consistent. Punish those who do evil and protect the most innocent. Torture our enemies to protect our friends.

I really do not believe that ANYONE tortures someone for no good reason. If the techniques didn't work why would they do them? That does not mean I condone the practice but reality should be admitted so the subject can be truthfully discussed.

YAWN

we don't torture anybody. we hand them over to our "friends" and before it's all over that poor slob wishes he was never born, wishes he was only waterboarded..

it's called RENDITION and Obama has absolutely retained the right to practice it. too bad many sanctimonious idiots don't make themselves aware of the facts before starting threads

Maybe you could show us where Obama has absolutely retained the right to practice rendition? Obama's "Executive Order 13491 -- Ensuring Lawful Interrogations"... "do not result in the transfer of individuals to other nations to face torture or otherwise for the purpose, or with the effect, of undermining or circumventing the commitments or obligations of the United States to ensure the humane treatment of individuals in its custody or control."

YAWN

Maybe you could show us where Obama has absolutely retained the right to practice rendition? Obama's "Executive Order 13491 -- Ensuring Lawful Interrogations"... "do not result in the transfer of individuals to other nations to face torture or otherwise for the purpose, or with the effect, of undermining or circumventing the commitments or obligations of the United States to ensure the humane treatment of individuals in its custody or control."

maybe you should look up idiot. I already did

Freewill, people torture to terrify the other side. It is not about information, it is about making the other side submit without opposition. Torture is not a good tool for info gaining. Sometimes, LTC West shows that in real time that it sometimes work. I hope I would have done the same thing and willingly accept the consequences, as did West. He has some character even if his understanding of the world is very askew.

Forum List

Back