Willie Maya Dies At Age 93.

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2022
Willie Mays, the iconic and endearing “Say Hey Kid” who charmed countless fans with his brilliant athleticism and graceful style and was widely considered baseball’s greatest and most entertaining player, died Tuesday of heart failure. He was 93.

My father has passed away peacefully and among loved ones,” Mays son, Michael Mays, said. “I want to thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart for the unwavering love you have shown him over the years. You have been his life’s blood.”

Mays, who was synonymous with baseball, the Giants and San Francisco, where his 9-foot bronze statue has greeted fans for more than two decades in front of Oracle Park at 24 Willie Mays Plaza, was looking forward to Major League Baseball’s tribute to the Negro Leagues Thursday at Birmingham’s Rickwood Field, where Mays starred as a teenager with the Birmingham Black Barons.

He was one of the greats of American Baseball. 'Say Hey Willie, you will be missed."

Willie Mays, the iconic and endearing “Say Hey Kid” who charmed countless fans with his brilliant athleticism and graceful style and was widely considered baseball’s greatest and most entertaining player, died Tuesday of heart failure. He was 93.

My father has passed away peacefully and among loved ones,” Mays son, Michael Mays, said. “I want to thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart for the unwavering love you have shown him over the years. You have been his life’s blood.”

Mays, who was synonymous with baseball, the Giants and San Francisco, where his 9-foot bronze statue has greeted fans for more than two decades in front of Oracle Park at 24 Willie Mays Plaza, was looking forward to Major League Baseball’s tribute to the Negro Leagues Thursday at Birmingham’s Rickwood Field, where Mays starred as a teenager with the Birmingham Black Barons.

He was one of the greats of American Baseball. 'Say Hey Willie, you will be missed."

Aw dammit.

I have an autograph from him on a napkin from some charity golf event in the 70's. My mother got it for me when I was like 3.

One of the best five tool players ever
Dominated the 50s and 60s

RIP Willie

He always had time for his fans. My Junior Year, Balboa High School in San Francisco, I was at a movie downtown. Mr. Mays joined the line behind me and I told him to go ahead of me, Mr. Mays shook his head and said no, you go. I dug out scrap of paper and asked him to sign it. He asked my name, I told him it was for my Dad. I gave him my Dad's name, and then signed it. I went home and gave my Dad that signature. He out right cried.

God the winds at Candlestick. One could their ass off watching a game.

Willie played his career in Candlestick and the Polo Grounds that were 500 ft to Center Field

Still hit 660 HRs

Forum List

Back