Wisconsin to Require Holocaust Education Starting in Fifth Grade

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Students in Wisconsin will now be required to study the Holocaust at least twice between fifth and 12th grade.

A bill signed Wednesday by Gov. Tony Evers mandates that lessons about the Holocaust and other genocides be included in social studies classes at least once between fifth and eighth grade, and again in high school.

I think they should get it in at least once and done well but ok. It should open with: This is the Holocaust and the world said never again. Then Rwanda.

Those who fail to learn from History, probably aren't doing well in Math or Social Studies either.

failing-student-banner.png

A bill signed Wednesday by Gov. Tony Evers mandates that lessons about the Holocaust and other genocides be included in social studies classes at least once between fifth and eighth grade, and again in high school.

Is there a problem with teaching students about the cause and effects of genocide? I think it's obvious that the subject would handled much differently with a primary school student vs a high school student. They will have very different take-aways from what they are taught.

I hear they're making students take math courses every year from K-12. Don't you think they should teach addition and subtraction and never mention the subject again?

Is there a problem with teaching students about the cause and effects of genocide? I think it's obvious that the subject would handled much differently with a primary school student vs a high school student. They will have very different take-aways from what they are taught.

I hear they're making students take math courses every year from K-12. Don't you think they should teach addition and subtraction and never mention the subject again?
I don't mind that it's being done twice as long as it's done well. In fact, I think it should be a semester long required course.

Students in Wisconsin will now be required to study the Holocaust at least twice between fifth and 12th grade.

I think they should get it in at least once and done well but ok. It should open with: This is the Holocaust and the world said never again. Then Rwanda.

And the Armenian genocide...and the Rohinga.

People are already attempting to white wash the Holocaust and too many have no idea of the other genocides.

And the Armenian genocide...and the Rohinga.

People are already attempting to white wash the Holocaust and too many have no idea of the other genocides.
And American chattel slavery. American's are woefully ignorant of it's own horrendous history.

Refrigerator trucks all over the world holding covid bodies. Inda cut all their trees down and doesnt have wood to burn the bodies Kobeed 21.
Hitler had German engineering. Got rid of 6 million in a jiffy.NOT 6 million and 11 . Exactly 6 million. IBM counted them

Last edited:

Wasn't it then Armenia then Rwanda?

Wasn't it then Armenia then Rwanda?
Armenia was WWI so they would be the first or perhaps "before" is the better word.

The most important thing is that the course be factually accurate.
I watched a doc a few weeks ago about the Holocaust and though everything said was accurate it had a habit of showing newsreel images that didn't fit the events being described.
While discussing Kristallnacht they showed footage of a burnt-out synagog, the broken glass around Jewish shops etc but then for some reason showed a girl with curly fair hair getting undressed and looking terrified. The image was taken in the Ukraine in which women were being shot beside an open ditch. At the time of Kristallnacht, Nov 1938, Germany hadn't even invaded Poland. Going on with the discussion, it said thousands of Jews were arrested and sent to concentration camps, then showed an image of a boy looking out of the small window in a cattle car. That image was taken during the transportations from the Warsaw Getto to Treblinka. Again years after Kristallnacht. Moving on to describe Auschwitz, another Image of Jewish men being shot in a ditch that appeared in a sandy location was taken in Latvia. There was no seaside at Auschwitz. Many other Images were of the wrong time in the wrong place. For me, it completely ruined the documentary which became a game of, - guess where that image was really from. It also gives ammunition to the deniers. They'll say "look at that, there is no sand at Auschwitz."
So it is important that everything taught is in the right sequence and factually accurate.

5th grade is too young. Maybe briefly in the 6th or 7th grade and then again when they study Modern European History in the 11th or 12th grade.

5th grade is too young. Maybe briefly in the 6th or 7th grade and then again when they study Modern European History in the 11th or 12th grade.
My dad had a mini library full of WWll and Holocaust books. When the rest of the family were watching TV I'd escape there. I started with Holocaust books just looking at the pictures before I could read. By the time I reached 8 years and now well able to read I had a good knowledge of the entire history of the Holocaust, although a lot I didn't understand till later, but better I'd say than many adults have today. I don't think any age is too young.

My dad had a mini library full of WWll and Holocaust books. When the rest of the family were watching TV I'd escape there. I started with Holocaust books just looking at the pictures before I could read. By the time I reached 8 years and now well able to read I had a good knowledge of the entire history of the Holocaust, although a lot I didn't understand till later, but better I'd say than many adults have today. I don't think any age is too young.

Its pretty ugly stuff. You had access in your family home as a result of your father's library.. so I am NOT finding any fault with you.. Under the same circumstance I would have been reading those books at 12.

Its pretty ugly stuff. You had access in your family home as a result of your father's library.. so I am NOT finding any fault with you.. Under the same circumstance I would have been reading those books at 12.
Admittedly it was pretty harrowing but in those days things were shown on TV that would never be shown now, at least not before the watershed. I remember going into the kitchen where mum was cooking tea to tell her President Kennedy (Mum was a big fan) had just had his head blown off. (though I didn't put it quite like that) It was shown on the 6 pm News. Many horrific images were shown of the Vietnam war. The Buddist Monk that had petrol poured over him then set himself alight in Saigon in 1963 was also shown on the 6 pm News, the whole family watched that, I was 8 my younger brothers 5 & 3. My parents didn't know it was going to be shown, there was never any warnings.
The little girl that ran out from a burning town naked but covered with burning napalm.
The body's after the My Lai massacre. The Vietnamese young man that was shot in the head, executed by an American soldier. My dad would watch every war documentary and we kids watched them too. My parents were very caring and protective but I don't think it ever occurred to them that there was any reason we shouldn't see such shocking events, it was just what was happening, how life and death really are and I'm grateful they didn't try to wrap us in cotton wool. It didn't do me (indeed I was always top of the class in History) or my siblings any harm.

Sorry, but there are specific reasons for it. If those kids are mot too young to learn about " white privilige" they are not too young to learn about the Holocaust

Why? They are 10 years old in the 5th grade.

Forum List

Back