CDZ Woman charged with boyfriend's suicide

This was a child (not Alexander the Great) who was trying to deal with a suicidal boyfriend who apparently "vented" to her all the time as if she was his psychiatrist. There are a LOT of things she should have done and a lot of things she should not have said, but involuntary manslaughter? No. The choice was his and he is the one who killed himself.

Shows how stupid Americans are. It is now known worldwide, that if you put a ham sandwich in front of an American jury, then they will find the ham sandwich guilty too.

Obviously, you have no idea how American justice works. For all it's problems, it's a fair process that convicts the guilty and exonerates the innocent.

Here's the thing. 98% of cases never go in front of a jury. 56% of them are plead down, usually because the police did their job and put together iron-clad cases.

Most of the rest are either dismissed or heard by judges. Nobody really wants to put his fate in the hands of 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

The entire precedence thing that your Anglo Saxon system idolizes is flawed, because it is not balanced by legal principles. So your law is an ass to kick around. In Roman law, we have legal principles.

The other shortfall of your American law is that perjury thing. Swarn testimonies are weak and recognized such in more civilized countries. In fact in many countries they are even inadmissible.

This was a child (not Alexander the Great) who was trying to deal with a suicidal boyfriend who apparently "vented" to her all the time as if she was his psychiatrist. There are a LOT of things she should have done and a lot of things she should not have said, but involuntary manslaughter? No. The choice was his and he is the one who killed himself.
Many 17 year olds go to prison

She pressured him to get back in the car after he made it clear he was having second thoughts. Reckless behavior leading to his death.....Manslaughter

She pressured him to get back in the car after he made it clear he was having second thoughts. Reckless behavior leading to his death.....Manslaughter

He didn't have to get back into the car. She didn't force him.

He killed himself. She did not kill him. She said some pretty bad things, but this is a TERRIBLE precedent to set.

Just saw on TV. The girl was found guilty.
Shows how stupid Americans are. It is now known worldwide, that if you put a ham sandwich in front of an American jury, then they will find the ham sandwich guilty too.

Are you kidding me? I don't think you've ever heard of OJ Simpson or Casey Anthony?

I don't know what those are.

Then why act as though you know about the US judicial system?

Are you kidding me? I don't think you've ever heard of OJ Simpson or Casey Anthony?

Everybody knows about the US justice system. Hollywood teaches it like a mad dog onto the entire world.

Everybody knows about the US justice system. Hollywood teaches it like a mad dog onto the entire world.

Hollywood is not reality.

He didn't have to get back into the car. She didn't force him.

Same as if I order you to murder someone. You don't have to do it, why would I be charged? I didn't kill anyone

Yet there was another case a few years ago where a bunch of people were online where a man was threatening to kill himself, and they were actively encouraging him to do it, and he did, and none of THOSE people even had to go to court!

Too bad, they should have.

Obviously, we are in a new area of law here, where texting and social media creates new interpersonal dynamics. You have the immediacy of direct conversation without the personal intimacy. That can be a potentially problematic combination.

THe law is finally catching up with the technology.

If she were a psychologist and engaged in this sort of behavior, she'd be in jail.

the point is, she had lots of opportunities to tell his family, the authorities, anyone. Instead she goaded him into doing it.

Throw her in jail and throw away the key.

If she were a psychologist and engaged in this sort of behavior, she'd be in jail.

the point is, she had lots of opportunities to tell his family, the authorities, anyone. Instead she goaded him into doing it.

She wasn't a psychologist. She was a 17-year-old girl who sent some text messages.

He killed himself. She did not kill him. She said some pretty bad things, but this is a TERRIBLE precedent to set.

She aided and abetted his death. Reckless behavior that constitutes manslaughter

She not only told him to get back in the car. She said she would not be his girlfriend if he didn't go through with it. When he worried about what his parents would think, she said don't worry, I'll take care of your parents.

This is one royally messed up verdict and charge to begin with. This charge should have never been brought. Involuntary manslaughter? I think not.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but a court said otherwise.

If this gets the next person to call a cop or a parent instead of just "goofing", then frankly, we are all better off for it.

She wasn't a psychologist. She was a 17-year-old girl who sent some text messages.
She understood life and death and was indifferent to his death

Forum List

Back