Workers in DC strike...

from the article-

The day before, the D.C. City Council voted 8-5 to set a $12.50 living wage for employees of "big box" stores with at least $1 billion in retail sales nationwide and with stores of at least 75,000 square feet in D.C. Stores with union contracts are exempt.

Walmart, which announced plans to build six D.C. stores, was their target. The vicious monster, known for its low wages and lousy benefits, sent a high-powered lobbying team to D.C. to threaten to dump at least three of the planned stores, all in lower-income areas. But unions, community groups, and religious groups all pushed the living wage bill, and the council heeded them, not Walmart.

well, whats the UE rate in DC btw? in any event, these sandwich shoppes and Walmart work on thin margins and cannot provide the cheap goods if they raise prices to compensate for benefits packages etc.

I want to see how many McD's pay $12.50 an hour.....unless they have given an out to them too....:lol:

• Banned
Find a different job if you don't like what you're getting paid.
Same old dead argument...doesn't work like that...then other slaves take those jobs and get the shaft while the ceo's get millions and billions while they starve.
from the article-

The day before, the D.C. City Council voted 8-5 to set a $12.50 living wage for employees of "big box" stores with at least $1 billion in retail sales nationwide and with stores of at least 75,000 square feet in D.C. Stores with union contracts are exempt.

Walmart, which announced plans to build six D.C. stores, was their target. The vicious monster, known for its low wages and lousy benefits, sent a high-powered lobbying team to D.C. to threaten to dump at least three of the planned stores, all in lower-income areas. But unions, community groups, and religious groups all pushed the living wage bill, and the council heeded them, not Walmart.

well, whats the UE rate in DC btw? in any event, these sandwich shoppes and Walmart work on thin margins and cannot provide the cheap goods if they raise prices to compensate for benefits packages etc.

I want to see how many McD's pay $12.50 an hour.....unless they have given an out to them too....:lol:

The ones striking now are under the hire of the government so they can damn well sure pay them more than 8$ an hour.

Same old dead argument...doesn't work like that...then other slaves take those jobs and get the shaft while the ceo's get millions and billions while they starve.
from the article-

The ones striking now are under the hire of the government so they can damn well sure pay them more than 8$ an hour.

and you know this how? if they pay them more than the goods brings in with say a 10% net profit margin, where will the $$ come from?

from the article-

Yes it does work like that. No one just walked into a CEO position for their first job. They worked up to it. You don't like the shit wages you're making, go to school, learn a trade, look for a different job that pays better. That's how it works.

But if you like being stuck in a dead end shit job and think your time is better spent crying about it and demonstrating, go for it, but don't cry to me.

From the linked article,
If D.C. really cared, they would make the minimum wage the exact same for all employers. What they are actually doing is singling out specific employers with government mandated extortion.
I would like to point out that that $12.50 min wage is almost 50% higher than the current min wage (in D.C.) that is NOT changing for other employers.

I haven't met an hourly paid Wamart or fast food employee yet that provides $12.50 an hour in value. Probably because those that do provide that type of value have already been promoted to management or found a job elsewhere.

• Banned
Same place Costco pays their employees 12.50$ to start out with...same prices as Wal Mart's Sams Club. Oh and it says in the article the workers work in the Smithsonian Museum which is owned/operated by the government..they should just print some more money up they manage to do it to pay for killing kids with drones and starting wars they should be able to do it to make sure people have a livable wage.I am glad wal marx isn't expanding in DC to hell with them and their fascist policies of not paying a livable wage to their employees.

• Banned
From the linked article,
If D.C. really cared, they would make the minimum wage the exact same for all employers. What they are actually doing is singling out specific employers with government mandated extortion.
I would like to point out that that $12.50 min wage is almost 50% higher than the current min wage (in D.C.) that is NOT changing for other employers.

I haven't met an hourly paid Wamart or fast food employee yet that provides $12.50 an hour in value. Probably because those that do provide that type of value have already been promoted to management or found a job elsewhere.

Talk to a Costco worker..their CEO claims they start workers off at 12.50 an hour. Yes they should have made it for every job not just certain ones.

Same place Costco pays their employees 12.50$ to start out with...same prices as Wal Mart's Sams Club. Oh and it says in the article the workers work in the Smithsonian Museum which is owned/operated by the government..they should just print some more money up they manage to do it to pay for killing kids with drones and starting wars they should be able to do it to make sure people have a livable wage.I am glad wal marx isn't expanding in DC to hell with them and their fascist policies of not paying a livable wage to their employees.

If walmart employees were doing something that required more than a GED's worth of education, then they'd be making more money. As it is, some of the dumbest walks of life in America are employed at walmarts, because it doesn't take a damn bit of skill or continued education to stock a shelf or wave a can of soup past a scanner. They're making what they're worth, period.

Last edited:
Well showing the stupidity is common around here...my wife graduated high school and was employed at Wal Marx and only made 8.05 and that was with a damn raise! Sad to see so many fascists here who would rather use the worker and toss them away while letting ceos making millions and millions and the workers starving to death..as usual blame the abused instead of the abuser.

oh right. well I wasn't aware you were nuts....so, carry on....

From the linked article,

Talk to a Costco worker..their CEO claims they start workers off at 12.50 an hour. Yes they should have made it for every job not just certain ones.

Last I looked, there is also a membership fee to shop at Costco, but not one to shop at Walmart. If Walmart decided to charge a membership fee in D.C. to offset the wages, would you be happy then?

The radical left is worried about American low wage workers while holding the gate open for illegal aliens. The world is back-assward in the liberal mind.

Well showing the stupidity is common around here...my wife graduated high school and was employed at Wal Marx and only made 8.05 and that was with a damn raise! Sad to see so many fascists here who would rather use the worker and toss them away while letting ceos making millions and millions and the workers starving to death..as usual blame the abused instead of the abuser.

If you exerted as much energy getting continued education or searching for a better job as you do whining, you might get ahead.

But, guess you'd rather sit on your butt in front of the computer and cry about the man holding you down.

Whatever... suffer... :eusa_hand:

D.C. Council Member Defends Living Wage Bill | Fox Business Video

"The day before, the D.C. City Council voted 8-5 to set a $12.50 living wage for employees of "big box" stores .."

I see hypocrisy here. When the council member admits the City doesn't pay it's own staff a 'living wage' even though the council member also states that the D.C. budget has a $400M surplus.

Walmart would have brought 2000 jobs immediately, while DC has a plan to hire 50,000 over the next decade.

It's all about tax base. I don't know if DC elected Council members get paid....oh wait, just found it:

D.C. Council salaries are second-highest among big U.S. cities

For years, the six-figure salaries of D.C. Council members have been a point of contention because the positions are considered part-time and members are allowed to hold other jobs. But the Pew report, released Wednesday, is likely to renew the debate about whether council members earn their salaries: $125,583 for 12 regular members and $190,000 for Chairman Kwame R. Brown (D), $10,000 less than the mayor receives.

Getting close to another Bell, CA.

Right on! I am proud of Walmart for ( dare I say ) sticking to their guns and not building or providing jobs and merchandise at a lower cost, helping all classes of families. No government agency should EVER be allowed to dictate to private business how much to pay their employees and call it a living wage.

Only stupid people and teenagers work for $8.05 an hour, because that is all they are worth.

From the linked article,

Last I looked, there is also a membership fee to shop at Costco, but not one to shop at Walmart. If Walmart decided to charge a membership fee in D.C. to offset the wages, would you be happy then?
There is a fee to shop at their competitor Sam's Club as well. Some how Sams owner Wal Marx manages to pay 8$ an hour and Costco's pays 12.50. Amazing stuff.

Only stupid people and teenagers work for $8.05 an hour, because that is all they are worth.
Wrong as usual...maybe you would understand if you had a family to take care of and took whatever job you could find.

And you can't believe how many of them are being OVER paid.....

Forum List

Back