World's Largest BBQ competition will consume my weekend.

Chili cook off here this weekend my neighbor has been smoking brisket for two days he is driving me crazy....

Ahh, that perks my interest because I've been constantly barbecuing various meats every summer for the past 20 years and everyone who's eaten my BBQ has raved about it; I've never once had a complaint about my roasted meat. In fact, in my small town my BBQ rep. has spread through word-of-mouth enough some people see me and say, "Aren't you the BBQ guy?"

The secret of my BBQ success: many hours beforehand I soak my meat in whatever mixture of condiments and spices go best with that meat; therefore, the flavoring has time to soak into the meat's individual cells. And I roast it over a fire of half wood (for an organic tang) and half briquettes (to keep it from getting overly smoked like a pure wood fire does. For example, with chicken I soaked it overnight in a mix of BBQ sauce, garlic-herb sauce, black peppers and a couple of airline-sized bottles of tequila. With baby-back ribs I soak them in a mix of BBQ sauce, that red paprika spice, sugar and lemon juice - which gives my pork ribs the sweet/sour signature people always mention. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who feels more like a wild, mad scientist over a BBQ grill than me!

As a dude who has done god knows how many BBQs for decades, please feel free to ask me any BBQ advice you wish. I'm quite happy to spread my personal fiery experience around.

As a dude who has done god knows how many BBQs for decades, please feel free to ask me any BBQ advice you wish. I'm quite happy to spread my personal fiery experience around.
Got any photos of your work?

American Royal World Series
Kansas City, MO, is home to “The World Series of Barbecue,” the world’s largest BBQ competition -- with 500 teams competing and 70,000 spectators.
A 25 dollar pit pass buys you enough samples from contestants to feed a small family.

The smoke & the smell is DIVINE
I am jealous.

Got any photos of your work?

I will take some next time I do it and post them here. To be honest, I just hadn't thought of taking pics, I was too consumed with the details of the cooking to really think of it. I know it sounds like a lame excuse but it's true in my case.

Last edited:
As much as I like BBQ I got burned out being a competitor.
It's a shitload of work to set up your shit and then break it all down.
The last time I competed was in the Holdem and Hitem in Houston.
Three days of breathing smoke and consuming way more alcohol than would be recommended by the surgeon general and to top it off the temps dropped into the mid twenties.
Had a sore throat for a week.
These days I'll show up and drop a fifty in the kitty,eat,drink and go home.

Twelve lb packer brisket just about ready to pull,wrap and put in the cambro for a few hours.
upload_2017-9-1_16-48-2.png

Some dino ribs ....oh God are they tender!!!!
upload_2017-9-1_16-49-19.png

And a gratuitous shot of a Sous Vide Flat Iron steak...
upload_2017-9-1_16-51-2.png

And of course you have to have beans and cornbread..
upload_2017-9-1_16-54-54.png

The fire for your beans and of course enjoyment is also your preburn fire for stoking the smoker.
I never put raw logs in my smoker,they create the dreaded white smoke rather than the clear blue smoke you're looking for.

Chili cook off here this weekend my neighbor has been smoking brisket for two days he is driving me crazy....

Does he let the brisket drippings fall into his beans at the point the collagen melts?
Those drippings make beans and chile out of this world!!!!

Three days of breathing smoke and consuming way more alcohol than would be recommended by the surgeon general and to top it off the temps dropped into the mid twenties.

Twelve lb packer brisket just about ready to pull,wrap and put in the cambro for a few hours.
View attachment 147088

View attachment 147089

View attachment 147090

View attachment 147093

The fire for your beans and of course enjoyment is also your preburn fire for stoking the smoker.
I never put raw logs in my smoker,they create the dreaded white smoke rather than the clear blue smoke you're looking for.

Your 3rd pic of those pink beef slices look the tastiest. I feel like pouring some soy sauce on them and gobbling them up -- if only I could reach into my computer monitor, lol!

View attachment 147088

View attachment 147089

View attachment 147090

View attachment 147093

Your 3rd pic of those pink beef slices look the tastiest. I feel like pouring some soy sauce on them and gobbling them up -- if only I could reach into my computer monitor, lol!

If you haven't tried Sous Vide cooking you really need to!!

This guy while a little weird is a great place to get info.
Sous Vide Everything

You can turn the toughest of meats into the mouth feel of a fillet mignon or how ever you want the bite to feel.

Sous Vide to rare and toss it on the smoker at 180 for an hour then sear in a very hot skillet or over a searing burner.
I prefer the cast iron skillet because you can toss in aromatics like sage or rosemary along with some clarified butter.

Kansas City, MO, is home to “The World Series of Barbecue,” the world’s largest BBQ competition -- with 500 teams competing and 70,000 spectators.
A 25 dollar pit pass buys you enough samples from contestants to feed a small family.

Holy crap, that reminds me of the time we were in Kansas City about ten years ago and we went to a BBQ joint downtown. We were told it would be the best we'd ever had, and that may have been right.

I think so, anyway. I remember saying that before we got shitfaced drunk there and went bar-hopping. I have little recollection of that night outside of some vague memory of peeing in the middle of a parking lot.

We were three hours late for a business meeting the next day, but fuck 'em, it was worth it.

Anyway, uh, good BBQ there.

Does he let the brisket drippings fall into his beans at the point the collagen melts?
He said yes he does, he is from Texas and worked at a Bbq and chili restaurant in Dallas for his grandpa. I just had a plate of the brisket.....OMG! melts in your mouth. He is also making Buffalo chili too. He says it's really tender. Can't wait.

View attachment 147088

View attachment 147089

View attachment 147090

View attachment 147093

Sous Vide Everything

You can turn the toughest of meats into the mouth feel of a fillet mignon or how ever you want the bite to feel.

Sous Vide to rare and toss it on the smoker at 180 for an hour then sear in a very hot skillet or over a searing burner.
I prefer the cast iron skillet because you can toss in aromatics like sage or rosemary along with some clarified butter.

I'll certainly keep that in mind next time I'm shopping for beef cuts to BBQ.

He said yes he does, he is from Texas and worked at a Bbq and chili restaurant in Dallas for his grandpa. I just had a plate of the brisket.....OMG! melts in your mouth. He is also making Buffalo chili too. He says it's really tender. Can't wait.

Aaahh..if he's from Texas he probably knows what he's doing when it comes to brisket.
It took me around 4 or 5 years to really understand the brisket and what it was doing during a smoke.
It aint about time and temp but a combo of those plus the real indicator which is feel.
It should jiggle like jello when shaken and a temp probe or tooth pick should go in with little to no resistance.

Can Kansas City Candy-asses cook?

*ducks and hightails it out of here*

:ahole-1:

I'm frigging jealous. It's been years since I got to go to that.

View attachment 147088

View attachment 147089

View attachment 147090

View attachment 147093

Sous Vide Everything

I'll certainly keep that in mind next time I'm shopping for beef cuts to BBQ.

You'll need one of these....

There are other models I cant speak on but the Anova has worked flawlessly so far.

They cost anywhere from $150 to $199.

Ah, great BBQ with potato salad, sliced fresh tomatoes, and ice cold water. My BBQ will be ribs this Monday, I prefer chicken.

View attachment 147088

View attachment 147089

View attachment 147090

View attachment 147093

Those ribs look amazing.

View attachment 147088

View attachment 147089

View attachment 147090

View attachment 147093

Looks delicious

Forum List

Back