World's Largest BBQ competition will consume my weekend.

Ah, great BBQ with potato salad, sliced fresh tomatoes, and ice cold water. My BBQ will be ribs this Monday, I prefer chicken.

On the pit as we speak....
upload_2017-9-1_19-14-18.png

As much as I like BBQ I got burned out being a competitor.
It's a shitload of work to set up your shit and then break it all down.
The last time I competed was in the Holdem and Hitem in Houston.
Three days of breathing smoke and consuming way more alcohol than would be recommended by the surgeon general and to top it off the temps dropped into the mid twenties.
Had a sore throat for a week.
These days I'll show up and drop a fifty in the kitty,eat,drink and go home.

Twelve lb packer brisket just about ready to pull,wrap and put in the cambro for a few hours.
View attachment 147088

Some dino ribs ....oh God are they tender!!!!
View attachment 147089

And a gratuitous shot of a Sous Vide Flat Iron steak...
View attachment 147090

And of course you have to have beans and cornbread..
View attachment 147093

The fire for your beans and of course enjoyment is also your preburn fire for stoking the smoker.
I never put raw logs in my smoker,they create the dreaded white smoke rather than the clear blue smoke you're looking for.
Those ribs look amazing.

The marrow from the bones was absolutely phenomenal on some garlic bread!!!

Just to be clear here, I have no particular skills on a grill but I love doing it and going to competitions to see how others cook.

Ah, great BBQ with potato salad, sliced fresh tomatoes, and ice cold water. My BBQ will be ribs this Monday, I prefer chicken.

On the pit as we speak....
View attachment 147104
Gas? Really lol

No gas or electric other than the fan to control temps and to run the auger.
It's a pellet pooper from Mak...around 3k.
I cooked on a stick burner for 30 years and got to the point where staying up all night wasnt going to work.
The smoke profile is a little lighter but there are ways around that.
Now I can sleep through my 20 hour cooks and you can program the smoker to do anything you want.

But I wont be getting rid of the Pitts And Spitts,or as I call her old rusty.....
It's great when you have the time or you plan on spending the day BBQing.
upload_2017-9-1_19-29-2.png

Aaahh..if he's from Texas he probably knows what he's doing when it comes to brisket.
It took me around 4 or 5 years to really understand the brisket and what it was doing during a smoke.
It aint about time and temp but a combo of those plus the real indicator which is feel.
It should jiggle like jello when shaken and a temp probe or tooth pick should go in with little to no resistance.
He said brisket is a tough piece of beef so it must be cooked just right to tenderize it.

Aaahh..if he's from Texas he probably knows what he's doing when it comes to brisket.
It took me around 4 or 5 years to really understand the brisket and what it was doing during a smoke.
It aint about time and temp but a combo of those plus the real indicator which is feel.
It should jiggle like jello when shaken and a temp probe or tooth pick should go in with little to no resistance.
He said brisket is a tough piece of beef so it must be cooked just right to tenderize it.
It is. I've tried it a half dozen times and never got it right

He's exactly right.
The average cook time for a 15 lb packer brisket is around 18 hours.
While you can eat it at 160 it'll be tough as shoe leather.
You need to take it to 190 to 203. But again it's about feel,if it dont jiggle it ain't ready.

It is. I've tried it a half dozen times and never got it right

It's easy once you learn what to look for.
Use a temp probe and dont mind the stall,it may last for two or three hours. Or you can use the texas crutch as they call it and wrap it in foil or pink butcher paper,preferred as it doesn't trap moisture which ruins the bark and can give the brisket a steamed texture.
Personally I avoid the crutch wrap unless I'm in a hurry because it retards bark growth and screws with the texture.
When it gets around 190 start looking for the jiggle and start poking it with your temp probe but dont bother looking at the temp.
Go for the feel,if it jiggles and the probe goes in with no resistance it's ready.
If you get both,wrap it in a couple towels and put it in the cambro for at least two hours.

Forum List

Back