Worried about Corona virus? ... USA Flu season so far: 12K deaths, 22M sick

Flu appears to be more deadly in the USA than the Coronavirus.

1000 deaths in China v 12,000 flu deaths in the USA. If the USA had the same population as China that number would extrapolate to 51,000+ US flu deaths. The flu season is not over yet so the numbers could rise.

Why is the USA so excited about Coronavirus and not so excited by flu?

Flu season so far: 12K deaths, 22M sick

By Ed Payne | Updated: Fri 12:30 PM, Feb 07, 2020

ATLANTA (Gray News) – Flu activity across the U.S. has increased over the last three weeks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Flu was widespread in Puerto Rico and 48 states. In Hawaii, Oregon, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the outbreaks were less active. (Source: CDC)
Rates among children and young adults remain higher than in recent flu seasons.

A total of 78 influenza-associated deaths in children have been reported so far this season. That’s an increase of 14 since last week’s report.

The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 12,000 deaths, 22 million illnesses and 210,000 hospitalizations from flu.

Flu was widespread in Puerto Rico and 48 states. In Hawaii, Oregon, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the outbreaks are less active.

Flu shots are recommended for everyone 6 months of age and older.

It takes about two weeks for antibodies to develop and provide protection against the flu after your vaccination.

The CDC said it expects flu season to continue through February.

Because the mortality rate of the flu is minuscule compared to Coronavirus. Only 35 people out of 100,000 are hospitalized for the flu, much less than that actually die.

Coronavirus has a mortality rate 40 times that of influenza and that’s the conservative estimate, it could be much worse.

So yea, people are going to be far more worried about that than the regular flu.

Another Den-Yi-Zen pro-China thread debunked.
We don't have any real idea what the mortality rate is for coronavirus. There could be a million undiagnosed cases that were so kind they never knew they had it.

1000 deaths in China v 12,000 flu deaths in the USA. If the USA had the same population as China that number would extrapolate to 51,000+ US flu deaths. The flu season is not over yet so the numbers could rise.

Because coronavirus is not here yet, but influenza we can do nothing about (those shots are a fraud -- you all know that, right?). We're excited about hoping to keep yet another, much worse, source of death and dying out of this country, which would add right onto the current death toll from influenza. Seems reasonable to me. I hope we do keep it out.

Coronavirus has a mortality rate 40 times that of influenza and that’s the conservative estimate, it could be much worse.

I don't know where you are getting that 40 times business. It's been steady at 2.2% for confirmed cases. Which is half what you said: 22 times flu deaths, more or less.

I thought the arithmetic on the cruise ship Diamond Princess worked out some higher when I did the numbers this morning -- 3.7%. But that's a captive (death trap) population with recirculating air and everyone imprisoned. We'd have rescued them if there were more Americans, I bet, but as it is, it's just this United Nations of a cruise population, and the Japanese are just leaving them there to die. I don't like that much. Sad, but I can't think what to do with them either. They need an island to off load onto, really.

Wrong. The mortality rate of influenza is 0.05%.

40x that is 2.0%, which is the LOW end of estimated mortality rate for Coronavirus.

If the real rate is 4.0% then it will be 80 times more deadly than the flu.

You miss the point that influenza might be 40x as infectious as coronavirus. 54 million people infected with influenza in the US.
Its probably too late to contain the virus

if the death rate is 2% thats how many we can expect to die worldwide

Not sure --- that implies no impediment to the virus, and the developed countries are working very hard to stop its spread.

It's Africa, Iran, India, etc., that are big grey areas on the virus maps --- not because there is no virus spreading there, but because their health services are so primitive they wouldn't know if they did have it. They couldn't even tell. Because they have such high death rates from such diseases as cholera that in Africa, they are very angry that white people bother them about Ebola, which they don't care about or believe in, because the cholera deaths and other serious diseases such as malaria just overwhelm the death toll from Ebola. No one is even going to NOTICE this virus.
There are reports of progress on preventive drugs and that may save some lives

china has done all it can to assure that the virus goes worldwide

but my guess is that chinese version of medicare for all will not solve the problem

rather it will come from capitalist western drug companies or medical research labs

if so then the initial limited supplies should reman in the the free countries rather than being sent to china

No country is free. Particularly the USA.

There is nothing to suggest that influenza is “40 times more infectious”. Coronavirus is a new, possibly weaponized virus from the Wuhan biological weapons lab. All indications show that Coronavirus is far more infectious as doctors and medical staff wearing protective gear are still getting infected and dying.

There is also a conspiracy theory that the coronavirus came from US bioweapons labs. If that is so, it is unsurprising that it struck at the center of China's industrial base.

Note the source 'Jerusalem Post' which is a reasonably credible media source.

Arab media accuse US, Israel of coronavirus conspiracy against China

One report claimed that it was no coincidence that the coronavirus was largely absent from the US and Israel.
By JERUSALEM POST STAFF FEBRUARY 9, 2020 18:17Email Twitter Facebook fb-messenger

Numerous reports in the Arab press have accused the US and Israel of being behind the creation and spread of the deadly coronavirus as part of an economic and psychological war against China, the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) reported.

One report in the Saudi daily newspaper Al-Watan claimed that it was no coincidence that the coronavirus was absent from the US and Israel, though this is despite America having 12 confirmed cases at the time of writing. ...
Wuhan is the site of China’s bioweapons lab. It’s their virus, not the US’s. I realize you have to carry water for China and blame the US for everything, but this is ridiculous.

I don't know where you are getting that 40 times business. It's been steady at 2.2% for confirmed cases. Which is half what you said: 22 times flu deaths, more or less.

I thought the arithmetic on the cruise ship Diamond Princess worked out some higher when I did the numbers this morning -- 3.7%. But that's a captive (death trap) population with recirculating air and everyone imprisoned. We'd have rescued them if there were more Americans, I bet, but as it is, it's just this United Nations of a cruise population, and the Japanese are just leaving them there to die. I don't like that much. Sad, but I can't think what to do with them either. They need an island to off load onto, really.

40x that is 2.0%, which is the LOW end of estimated mortality rate for Coronavirus.

You miss the point that influenza might be 40x as infectious as coronavirus. 54 million people infected with influenza in the US.
Not sure --- that implies no impediment to the virus, and the developed countries are working very hard to stop its spread.

It's Africa, Iran, India, etc., that are big grey areas on the virus maps --- not because there is no virus spreading there, but because their health services are so primitive they wouldn't know if they did have it. They couldn't even tell. Because they have such high death rates from such diseases as cholera that in Africa, they are very angry that white people bother them about Ebola, which they don't care about or believe in, because the cholera deaths and other serious diseases such as malaria just overwhelm the death toll from Ebola. No one is even going to NOTICE this virus.

but my guess is that chinese version of medicare for all will not solve the problem

rather it will come from capitalist western drug companies or medical research labs

if so then the initial limited supplies should reman in the the free countries rather than being sent to china

There is nothing to suggest that influenza is “40 times more infectious”. Coronavirus is a new, possibly weaponized virus from the Wuhan biological weapons lab. All indications show that Coronavirus is far more infectious as doctors and medical staff wearing protective gear are still getting infected and dying.

There is also a conspiracy theory that the coronavirus came from US bioweapons labs. If that is so, it is unsurprising that it struck at the center of China's industrial base.

One report claimed that it was no coincidence that the coronavirus was largely absent from the US and Israel.
By JERUSALEM POST STAFF FEBRUARY 9, 2020 18:17Email Twitter Facebook fb-messenger

Numerous reports in the Arab press have accused the US and Israel of being behind the creation and spread of the deadly coronavirus as part of an economic and psychological war against China, the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) reported.

One report in the Saudi daily newspaper Al-Watan claimed that it was no coincidence that the coronavirus was absent from the US and Israel, though this is despite America having 12 confirmed cases at the time of writing. ...
Wuhan is the site of China’s bioweapons lab. It’s their virus, not the US’s. I realize you have to carry water for China and blame the US for everything, but this is ridiculous.

Trump is ridiculous. This is credible.

No I dont think the health authorities around the world are over reacting

I think you are under reacting to the danger just as the miserable chinese communist dictatorship did

Flu death rate in USA s .05%, corona virus 2.5%.

I’d say it’s bad,

In Hawaii, deaths from influenza are 27 per 100,000 of the population which is 0.027% on population basis, not on an infection basis.

In the US the infected rate is ~2000 x death rate from influenza. If the ratios hold up it would mean ~two-thirds of the 1.4 million Hawaiians are infected by influenza.

If eventually less Chinese and others die from coronavirus, it would put the spotlight on the USA for poor management of it's own influenza epidemics.

I think you are under reacting to the danger just as the miserable chinese communist dictatorship did

The US orange dictatorship is under-reacting to the influenza epidemic.

The arab media are insane and not a reliable source of truth

Only a muslim in the breeding ground of insanity like the middle east could believe that America would deliberately release an infectious disease on the world even in china

Possibly so

only hollywood can imagine how terrible a pandemic is capable of being

however the chinese death is worldwide now and only science - meaning western research labs - can save us

Flu death rate in USA s .05%, corona virus 2.5%.

I’d say it’s bad,

In Hawaii, deaths from influenza are 27 per 100,000 of the population which is 0.027% on population basis, not on an infection basis.

In the US the infected rate is ~2000 x death rate from influenza. If the ratios hold up it would mean ~two-thirds of the 1.4 million Hawaiians are infected by influenza.

If eventually less Chinese and others die from coronavirus, it would put the spotlight on the USA for poor management of it's own influenza epidemics.

You can use this as an opportunity to bash the USA, but China built 2 hospitals in like 2 weeks and they have quarantined like 100 million people.

To dismiss it as the same as flu season in the US is obtuse as fuck.

Meanwhile in China, the government has started mass arrests of suspected infected people.
Video shows officials in protective suits dragging suspected coronavirus carriers from homes | Daily Mail Online

Isn’t single payer socialist healthcare great?
Where are they taking them? Mass arrests? Are you nuts?

How am I “nuts” for reporting what Chinese are doing?

As for where they are going, it’s a communist regime, use your imagination. Most likely a makeshift gulag, that they will call a “quarantine zone”.

I don't think authorities are overreacting either; some people keep bringing up the "normal" influenza that we can't stop and its substantial death rate in the thousands. Well, so what? Do we really want ANOTHER death-dealing disease right alongside influenza, and one that has a much higher death rate? Well, *I* don't want it.

By Ed Payne | Updated: Fri 12:30 PM, Feb 07, 2020

ATLANTA (Gray News) – Flu activity across the U.S. has increased over the last three weeks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Flu was widespread in Puerto Rico and 48 states. In Hawaii, Oregon, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the outbreaks were less active. (Source: CDC)
Rates among children and young adults remain higher than in recent flu seasons.

A total of 78 influenza-associated deaths in children have been reported so far this season. That’s an increase of 14 since last week’s report.

The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 12,000 deaths, 22 million illnesses and 210,000 hospitalizations from flu.

Flu was widespread in Puerto Rico and 48 states. In Hawaii, Oregon, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the outbreaks are less active.

Flu shots are recommended for everyone 6 months of age and older.

It takes about two weeks for antibodies to develop and provide protection against the flu after your vaccination.

The CDC said it expects flu season to continue through February.
You are not using logic. Many more people per capita have flu in the US than die of it. Millions more. With the Corona Virus, the death rate is far, far higher than with the flu. You get the coronavirus, you have a high likelihood of death. You get the flu, death is not very likely at all. Millions of people get the flu and don't die.

No, Trump has aggressively provided leadership to this countries and all countries to quarantine vigorously and lots of developed countries have immediately within one or two days followed his lead. If we keep this out of the USA or minimize it, it's because of Trump. I'm so proud of him I don't know what to do.

only hollywood can imagine how terrible a pandemic is capable of being

however the chinese death is worldwide now and only science - meaning western research labs - can save us

Naaaaaaah ----- they take YEARS to make vaccines, if it even can be done. To make a disease extinct, smallpox is still in at least two freezers we know of for sure, and polio ---- they just can't make it happen (ask me my opinion of the benighted people of Pakistan. No, don't bother.) Western research labs can't stop the common cold (and that is comprised of SEVERAL different species of virus) or influenza of really any kind. The flu shots don't work, as anyone keeping up with this knows. I believe the flu shots are just the medical industry trying to get as many people as possible paying to go to their doctor offices, where they'll be hit with all sorts of datamining screening and ploys to get them in again and again and again. Hitting up healthy people for money is where the profit in medicine is these days.

None of that helps to stop or even cure the flu. They have nothing to cure this disease. Or any of the others like it -- Bird flu or SARS, anything viral.

No, the great thing is to stop this with quarantines, if we can, because otherwise we just have to live with it.

Meanwhile in China, the government has started mass arrests of suspected infected people.
Video shows officials in protective suits dragging suspected coronavirus carriers from homes | Daily Mail Online

Isn’t single payer socialist healthcare great?
You absolutely can't compare China's national health care system to anything that exists in the West and would exist in the US if we had one. Don't be so silly.

I absolutely can compare a socialist state run healthcare system to our capitalist non-state run healthcare system. If we had one, it would be much worse than what we have. Just look at countries like Germany, that have state run healthcare that is terrible, so bad in fact that most people with money buy their own private insurance just so they won’t have to use the government one.

Forum List

Back