🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Would Declaring A State Of Emergency 'Set A Bad Precedent'?

More like 22 million illegals.

Hey you're only off by a factor of 2. Damn good by Trumper standards. 11 million and a bunch of them have worked for TRUMP for years

Oh and I wonder how you're going to feel when President Harris declares an emergency because (for instance) we have had 25 mass shootings in the first month of 2019 and wants executive action to address guns when Congress won't do it...

Eh?

Yale and MIT estimate that it's 22 million illegals.

Yale, MIT study: 22 million, not 11 million, undocumented immigrants in US
Ok...if you want to go with that number consider that it DOUBLES the number of people we would have to remove.

That makes that prospect even more absurd
/——/Why? Just because libtards quit when the going gets rough doesn’t mean we do.

And if you're going by the MIT study saying the number is 22 million consider this

The researchers also noted if the undocumented population is twice as high as previous estimates, that means the incidence of criminality among undocumented immigrants is half as high as previously reported.

"You have the same number of crimes but now spread over twice as many people as was believed before, which right away means that the crime rate among undocumented immigrants is essentially half whatever was previously believed," said Kaplan

Illegal immigrants are even LESS prone to criminality and violence than you claimed...by HALF.

Trump using emergency powers to build the wall does not necessarily create a bad precedent. As soon as we elect a democrat, he can use emergency powers to tear it down in order to protect migrating wildlife.
And force gun control regs because THAT is an emergency

LMAO He hasn't declared it an emergency yet. And I wouldn't worry about it until and if he does.
I'm not worried. I'm just pointing out the fact that its not an emergency if you wait 2 years to decide its an emergency. :rolleyes:

These illegals cost us billions in tax dollars every year.

They kill American citizens every year.

They mule drugs into the country every year.

They work under the table and bring wages down every year.

If you don't believe these assholes are an emergency then you are a fool.
Yeah yeah. I've heard all the horror stories but it still doesnt explain why its suddenly an emergency. :rolleyes:

Because it is not.

An emergency is, by definition, something that happens.
An emergency is not, by definition, something that can be predicted

The second part of the definition is : an urgent need for assistance or relief.

Which fits the on going emergency since the Carter administration blocking the Iranian government property since 1979.

Which is also why a state of emergency fits after a known hurricane hits a community.

So building the wall could be made to fit in the broad spectrum of past events. I would not like to see this used in this instance, I'd like to see the Democrats and Republicans sit down and work out an agreement however with the egos of Pelosi and Trump, I see a continued bad faith and hate.

I do believe we need fencing and walls on parts of the border along with improved surveillance,drones, warning systems and the like. We have very advanced technology that can even detect underground tunnels from the surface, it's very costly however it would be a great way to stop drug dealers from bringing in drugs, it would also slow down human trafficking and other illegal activity. Never going to stop everything but we need to tighten our borders.

“urgent need for assistance or relief”

It wasn’t urgent in October of 2018; otherwise an emergency would have been declared then.
It wasn’t urgent in October of 2017; otherwise an emergency would have been declared then.
To claim that there is an emergency in February 2019 rings hollow.

As for Drug Dealers…let me try to understand this. I’m sure some drugs come across the border but if you’re talking about distributable amounts (hundreds of kilos), are you crazy? The drug lords are not giving someone $4,000 dollars of drugs, releasing them into the wild and saying “Meet me on the other side of the border! Hope you don’t get caught. Oh, and don’t sell our drugs yourself, consume our drugs, or barter them for your freedom to the police!!!”.

They have dependable distribution channels that allow for industrial quantities of drugs to pass through. That means mechanization. It likely means multiple people on the payroll on our side of the border—likely many who have badges.

I live 35 miles from the border, and would apply for a job working for Border Patrol, but all the jobs go to Latinos, who speak Spanish fluently.

I'm not worried. I'm just pointing out the fact that its not an emergency if you wait 2 years to decide its an emergency. :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah. I've heard all the horror stories but it still doesnt explain why its suddenly an emergency. :rolleyes:

Because it is not.

Which fits the on going emergency since the Carter administration blocking the Iranian government property since 1979.

Which is also why a state of emergency fits after a known hurricane hits a community.

So building the wall could be made to fit in the broad spectrum of past events. I would not like to see this used in this instance, I'd like to see the Democrats and Republicans sit down and work out an agreement however with the egos of Pelosi and Trump, I see a continued bad faith and hate.

I do believe we need fencing and walls on parts of the border along with improved surveillance,drones, warning systems and the like. We have very advanced technology that can even detect underground tunnels from the surface, it's very costly however it would be a great way to stop drug dealers from bringing in drugs, it would also slow down human trafficking and other illegal activity. Never going to stop everything but we need to tighten our borders.

It wasn’t urgent in October of 2018; otherwise an emergency would have been declared then.
It wasn’t urgent in October of 2017; otherwise an emergency would have been declared then.

As for Drug Dealers…let me try to understand this. I’m sure some drugs come across the border but if you’re talking about distributable amounts (hundreds of kilos), are you crazy? The drug lords are not giving someone $4,000 dollars of drugs, releasing them into the wild and saying “Meet me on the other side of the border! Hope you don’t get caught. Oh, and don’t sell our drugs yourself, consume our drugs, or barter them for your freedom to the police!!!”.

They have dependable distribution channels that allow for industrial quantities of drugs to pass through. That means mechanization. It likely means multiple people on the payroll on our side of the border—likely many who have badges.

Depends on whether a person considers it urgent or not, it may not have been urgent then however with two young people dying while trying to cross the border, it may seem urgent now. You can make a case either way. The great thing about Trump going the emergency route, the President would have to approve the emergency funding every year, so once he is out of office the next President could end the funding. Like I said it to me is the wrong move for many reasons however, it may be a PR boon for Trump if Pelosi refuses to negotiate in the next three weeks and holds up his SOTU.

This issue is the left and the right will support their side, independents, the swing voters are in play and fairness will come into play.

And if you're going by the MIT study saying the number is 22 million consider this

The researchers also noted if the undocumented population is twice as high as previous estimates, that means the incidence of criminality among undocumented immigrants is half as high as previously reported.

"You have the same number of crimes but now spread over twice as many people as was believed before, which right away means that the crime rate among undocumented immigrants is essentially half whatever was previously believed," said Kaplan

Illegal immigrants are even LESS prone to criminality and violence than you claimed...by HALF.
/—-/ Except for that part of being here illegally

Because it is not.

Depends on whether a person considers it urgent or not, it may not have been urgent then however with two young people dying while trying to cross the border, it may seem urgent now. You can make a case either way. The great thing about Trump going the emergency route, the President would have to approve the emergency funding every year, so once he is out of office the next President could end the funding. Like I said it to me is the wrong move for many reasons however, it may be a PR boon for Trump if Pelosi refuses to negotiate in the next three weeks and holds up his SOTU.

This issue is the left and the right will support their side, independents, the swing voters are in play and fairness will come into play.

There are zero logical metrics for the declaration of an emergency in February that were not there since 1/20/2017.

The only change is that the political pressure has mounted since he has not been able to fulfill his campaign promise of Mexico paying for a wall.

Because it is not.

There are zero logical metrics for the declaration of an emergency in February that were not there since 1/20/2017.

The only change is that the political pressure has mounted since he has not been able to fulfill his campaign promise of Mexico paying for a wall.

Interesting opinion however I disagree, he could use the emergency and drive the left completely off their rockers, which is what I believe will happen.

I'm thinking that as long as the "national emergency" has some basis in fact that it might not be a bad idea.

Easy to say with tunnel vision.

Imagine a radical leftist president and the bullshit they could put the country through on any number of issues simply with a "declaration" of emergency status.

Cocaine Mitch was driving the car and Dastardly Donald was in the baby seat next to him honking the horn and playing with the plastic wheel and Mitch was like: "you're driving us buddy", and told him he could drive us into a ditch, but then Cocaine Mitch went to the grocery store.

unpopular wall. unpopular shutdown. unpopular president. Dastardly Donald had nowhere to go. of course he was gonna cave!
/——/ Happy hour at the corner dive bar? 2 PBRs for the price of 1?

What no Beck's or Tuborg?

I'm thinking that as long as the "national emergency" has some basis in fact that it might not be a bad idea.

Imagine a radical leftist president and the bullshit they could put the country through on any number of issues simply with a "declaration" of emergency status.

~~~~~~
Didn't we go through that with Barack Hussein Obama?

~~~~~~
Didn't we go through that with Barack Hussein Obama?
Why did you give me funnys for my two responses? You asked a fair question and I gave a direct answer. Yet you give me the "I'm butthurt" emoji???

Because it is not.

Interesting opinion however I disagree, he could use the emergency and drive the left completely off their rockers, which is what I believe will happen.

Shouldn’t the goal be legitimate governance and not trying to drive the opposition “off their rockers”?

Because it is not.

And the upside of that to the country is what?

Shouldn’t the goal be legitimate governance and not trying to drive the opposition “off their rockers”?
/—-/ Not when it comes to democRATs. I say drive them batshyt crazy

Interesting story in Arizona when a smuggler using a ladder help 100 people climb over a fence

Another story about a week ago of people tunneling under the wall

All indicating the fallacy of a wall just to mention a few

Smuggler know this and that is why tunnels are discovered by border patrol and I guess a few have ladders

Declaring a state of emergency because he wants to build a wall when it has so many ways that it can be defeated is a political stunt

Is like declaring that I am proud to shut down the government

It just doing something for a political expediency

without examining alternatives or doing a feasibility study

It is like Homer saying "Doh"

or yelling fire in a theater just to get a better seat
There are over 2 million burglaries a year.

Clearly, locks and doors are pointless because some defeat them ....
/sarcasm

Yes, that argument is asinine.

hmmm that's your argument

yet there are over 2 million burglaries a year

locks and doors will make it harder but by themselves they will not stop a burglary

do you believe that they will stop a burglary

It just means there are other factors that contribute to burglaries other than just locked doors

It doesn't mean you should leave them unlocked

It just means that you might consider other things such as a burglary alarm system or video surveillance and put those little signs in the yard advertise to potential burglars to go on down the street to the house that doesn't have one

It just means that you shouldn't advertise on facebook that your family vacation is going well in Aruba

there are a myriad of things that should be done not just the sole belief that if you lock your doors then you will be safe

In this world you can only do what you can afford to do

Forum List

Back