Would the world be better off without religion?

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
Great debate!

This is the broadcast version (50:30):

Broadcast Audio Version - 50:30

This is the full audio of the debate (1:44:10):

Full Audio Version - 1:44:10

FOR THE MOTION

A journalist, screenwriter and director, Matthew Chapman is the co-founder and president of Science Debate, an organization seeking to get political candidates to debate important science policy issues. The great-great-grandson of Charles Darwin, Chapman is the author of two books, Trials Of The Monkey: An Accidental Memoir and 40 Days and 40 Nights: Darwin, Intelligent Design, God, OxyContin, and Other Oddities on Trial in Pennsylvania. His most recent film, The Ledge, was accepted into competition at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and deals with the ultimately fatal feud between an atheist and an evangelical Christian.

A.C. Grayling, a British philosopher and professor, has written more than 20 books on philosophy, religion and reason, including Against All Gods and The Good Book: A Secular Bible. Previously a professor of philosophy at Birkbeck College, University of London, Grayling is now master of the New College of the Humanities, an independent university college in London. For nearly 10 years, he was the honorary secretary of the principal British philosophical association, the Aristotelian Society, and a trustee of the London Library.

AGAINST THE MOTION

Dinesh D'Souza is president of The King's College and author of What's So Great About Christianity. A former policy analyst in the Reagan White House, D'Souza served as an Olin fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and as a Rishwain scholar at the Hoover Institution at Stanford. Since releasing What's So Great About Christianity in 2008, D'Souza has gone on to debate atheists such as Christopher Hitchens, Peter Singer, Daniel Dennett and Michael Shermer.

David Wolpe, the rabbi of Sinai Temple in Los Angeles, has been named the No. 1 Pulpit Rabbi in America by Newsweek. He teaches at the University of California, Los Angeles, and previously taught at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America in New York, the American Jewish University in Los Angeles, and Hunter College. He is the author of seven books, including Why Faith Matters.

Would The World Be Better Off Without Religion? : NPR

Actually, here it is on you tube. Enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNuJ6A6iGP4&feature=player_detailpage]The World Would Be Better Off Without Religion-Intelligence Squared U.S. - YouTube[/ame] (Full Version - 1:47:39)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s7yQRvWba_8]THE WORLD WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT RELIGION On WNET-Intelligence Squared U.S. - YouTube[/ame] (Shorter Version - 57:13)

Fortunately here in the US we have the first amendment, which precludes you from removing religion or outlawing it or banning it.

Billions of people believe in religion, good luck with your efforts to get rid of it.

Fortunately here in the US we have the first amendment, which precludes you from removing religion or outlawing it or banning it.

Billions of people believe in religion, good luck with your efforts to get rid of it.

No one’s advocating ‘getting rid of it.’

It’s simply a fact that religion is now and has always been the bane of human existence – a pestilence man brought upon himself as a consequence of his fear and arrogance – a pestilence we indeed would be much better off without.

Last edited:

No one’s advocating ‘getting rid of it.’

It’s simply a fact that religion is now and has always been the bane of human existence – a pestilence man brought upon himself as a consequence of his fear and arrogance – a pestilence we indeed would be much better off without.

Ya cause bringing up the subject of banning it is just for fun right? You are either a liar or an idiot, you keep saying stupid shit like no one wants to ban firearms when I have shown you numerous examples of Politicians saying EXACTLY that. Now you claim no one wants to ban religion.

So which is it? Stupid or a liar?

great debate!

this is the broadcast version (50:30):

broadcast audio version - 50:30

this is the full audio of the debate (1:44:10):

full audio version - 1:44:10

for the motion

a journalist, screenwriter and director, matthew chapman is the co-founder and president of science debate, an organization seeking to get political candidates to debate important science policy issues. The great-great-grandson of charles darwin, chapman is the author of two books, trials of the monkey: An accidental memoir and 40 days and 40 nights: Darwin, intelligent design, god, oxycontin, and other oddities on trial in pennsylvania. His most recent film, the ledge, was accepted into competition at the 2011 sundance film festival and deals with the ultimately fatal feud between an atheist and an evangelical christian.

a.c. Grayling, a british philosopher and professor, has written more than 20 books on philosophy, religion and reason, including against all gods and the good book: A secular bible. Previously a professor of philosophy at birkbeck college, university of london, grayling is now master of the new college of the humanities, an independent university college in london. For nearly 10 years, he was the honorary secretary of the principal british philosophical association, the aristotelian society, and a trustee of the london library.

against the motion

dinesh d'souza is president of the king's college and author of what's so great about christianity. A former policy analyst in the reagan white house, d'souza served as an olin fellow at the american enterprise institute and as a rishwain scholar at the hoover institution at stanford. Since releasing what's so great about christianity in 2008, d'souza has gone on to debate atheists such as christopher hitchens, peter singer, daniel dennett and michael shermer.

david wolpe, the rabbi of sinai temple in los angeles, has been named the no. 1 pulpit rabbi in america by newsweek. He teaches at the university of california, los angeles, and previously taught at the jewish theological seminary of america in new york, the american jewish university in los angeles, and hunter college. He is the author of seven books, including why faith matters.

would the world be better off without religion? : Npr
yes!

I say no. Although not a religious person myself, all sorts of religions help people in times of need. Not just through charities but through spiritial/mental health needs, too. So, as long as they keep their religion to themselves, I don't see any harm in it myself...

No, the world would not be a better place. If people did not persecute in the name of religion, they would find another reason. It gives comfort to hundreds of millions, and that is good for them, even though I personally think it is a crock.

I say no. Although not a religious person myself, all sorts of religions help people in times of need. Not just through charities but through spiritial/mental health needs, too. So, as long as they keep their religion to themselves, I don't see any harm in it myself...

That’s the problem: too few keep their religion to themselves.

Although religion might have some positive aspects to it, the problem remains the religious.

Impossible to answer. Though many deaths are rightly laid at the feet of religion, it's unknowable what would have happened if religion never existed. Would even worse wars have been the result? Has religion imposed a kind of international order and 'nationality' preventing some conflicts?

Given our animal natures, our need for conflict, I think even without religion, we'd still be extremely crappy to each other. But religions do impose a kind of unity of being and thought and I'm thus inclined to belive they offer more good than bad.

Take the largest faiths like Christianity's 2 billion or so, bring those people together in one place and their unity of faith will probably keep them from killing one another. Minus religion, what would achieve that?

What else would we be better off without?

Secularism has been responsible for more deaths than any other in history. Shall we do away with secularism? After all, who the fuck needs it, eh?

How about the arts? Who really needs paintings and sculptures. Those are just examples of imagination at use to create fantasy. After all, some of the greatest works of art are fantasy inspired, if religion is just fantasy. All we need are boxes to keep the weather off of us, and the heat trapped inside. so why do we need architecture?

How about mountains....what purpose do they really server? Pretty to look at? Who needs to look at them. Why, people can go their entire lives without ever seeing a mountain and in a few decades, we're going to need the land to populate more primates.

Come on folks. Lets all just put out our own little list of things that others have, that we "THINK" we can do without, simply because we don't believe in them.

Lets not draw any lines at all.

Last edited:
I say err on the side of truth and reason. Buying into a belief system that idolizes an imaginary being or beings....which creative and opportunistic human beings made up....is not a good thing. Regardless of any good or kind deeds that are performed in the name of said belief.

Would the world be better off without religion?

At this point, it would certainly be worth a try.

Religious practices taught the Monkeys to organize around an idea and work together toward a common goal.

Without the mark left by 'religion' on our species, our modern life of smart-phones, cheap transportation, and air conditioning would not be possible.

Religion and religious practices are just one of the tools necessary for Evolution to take a living wet rock in space through the necessary paces required for it to become a Sentient World.

Forum List

Back