Would You Lock Your Doors

The caucasoid or the flag?

Just curious guy.. How much did they pay this guy??

hqdefault.jpg

And second question -- would ya spit on him?? Hey don't tell me that there isn't no rift between those Black Southern Proud and their Northern Brethren.. I know for a fact -- that there is in the hearts of ALL Southerners a very different view of Southern heritage than the Yankee view.

hqdefault.jpg

And second question -- would ya spit on him?? Hey don't tell me that there isn't no rift between those Black Southern Proud and their Northern Brethren.. I know for a fact -- that there is in the hearts of ALL Southerners a very different view of Southern heritage than the Yankee view.

Dont know how much they pay you to be dumb enough to support a flag that is a symbol of enslaving you. I would imagine they would just rub his head and tell him he was a good boy for standing up for the south.

Would I spit on him? I probably would because he would probably say something stupid like I should be thanking white people for enslaving us so we can have it so good now.

hqdefault.jpg

Dont know how much they pay you to be dumb enough to support a flag that is a symbol of enslaving you. I would imagine they would just rub his head and tell him he was a good boy for standing up for the south.

Would I spit on him? I probably would because he would probably say something stupid like I should be thanking white people for enslaving us so we can have it so good now.

I actually had to look it up -- but I believe the Stars and Bars NEVER FLEW over a Southern slaver plantation prior to that Yankee War of Aggression. It's NOT a symbol of South prior to the War. So you're giving it much too much credence for being a symbol of slavery.

I've gotten friendly with many of volunteers and docents that work the Heritage sites in my area, and have learned that this Black Southern Pride deal has to do with the concept that their ancestors lives had meaning and impact and that their stories are Southern stories that are intertwined with the slaver regime. Like the man who was one of the South's premier Thoroughbred husbandry experts and DOMINATED the Tenn/Kentucky horse trade as the slave of the owner of the Belle Meade mansion here in my hood. He was honored by all the mighty owners of the horse trade. And to deny his Southern story would be revisionist history..

hqdefault.jpg

I actually had to look it up -- but I believe the Stars and Bars NEVER FLEW over a Southern slaver plantation prior to that Yankee War of Aggression. It's NOT a symbol of South prior to the War. So you're giving it much too much credence for being a symbol of slavery.

I've gotten friendly with many of volunteers and docents that work the Heritage sites in my area, and have learned that this Black Southern Pride deal has to do with the concept that their ancestors lives had meaning and impact and that their stories are Southern stories that are intertwined with the slaver regime. Like the man who was one of the South's premier Thoroughbred husbandry experts and DOMINATED the Tenn/Kentucky horse trade as the slave of the owner of the Belle Meade mansion here in my hood. He was honored by all the mighty owners of the horse trade. And to deny his Southern story would be revisionist history..

Oh yeah. The flag came into existence as a result of the souths stance on keeping slavery alive. It stood for the confederate cause. In case people forget the confederacy wanted slavery to be part of their lives. That's where I don't understand the disconnect with some Black people. If that flag stood for the souths willingness to fight a war to keep you enslaved how many screws do you have to have loose to want to support that flag? My family is from the south and they hate that flag worse than I do being born where that flag is rarely if ever seen. You cant deny your history but you dont need a constant reminder of it flying in your face either if you wish to move past it.

Oh yeah. The flag came into existence as a result of the souths stance on keeping slavery alive. It stood for the confederate cause. In case people forget the confederacy wanted slavery to be part of their lives. That's where I don't understand the disconnect with some Black people. If that flag stood for the souths willingness to fight a war to keep you enslaved how many screws do you have to have loose to want to support that flag? My family is from the south and they hate that flag worse than I do being born where that flag is rarely if ever seen. You cant deny your history but you dont need a constant reminder of it flying in your face either if you wish to move past it.

All I'm trying to point to you is that for the descendents of most the slaves in the South, it was the American Flag that flew over those plantations while their kin were alive. And that how they lived and what they did is INSEPARABLE from Southern heritage and history. That flag is only associated with the conflict that resolved the practice of slavery amongst other issues. There is no other symbol of Southern heritage that comemorates that era. Perhaps we should PROPOSE one that ISN'T linked to the war just so you won't be as uncomfortable as you are.. :D

All I'm trying to point to you is that for the descendents of most the slaves in the South, it was the American Flag that flew over those plantations while their kin were alive. And that how they lived and what they did is INSEPARABLE from Southern heritage and history. That flag is only associated with the conflict that resolved the practice of slavery amongst other issues. There is no other symbol of Southern heritage that comemorates that era. Perhaps we should PROPOSE one that ISN'T linked to the war just so you won't be as uncomfortable as you are.. :D

i see what you are trying to point out. However, I think you are missing my point. As a Black person your people were more than slaves before they ever knew about the US. Why are you clinging dearly to a heritage of slavery and not one that your forefathers had before arriving here in the US? I dont get the celebration of southern heritage if it was one of chattel slavery for a Black person? Worst type of slavery in the history of the world that delegated you to the status of a mule. Something mental is going on with any Black person that celebrates this heritage regardless of the excuses. I can understand white people having fond memories of that period but it baffles me as to why a Black person would.

i see what you are trying to point out. However, I think you are missing my point. As a Black person your people were more than slaves before they ever knew about the US. Why are you clinging dearly to a heritage of slavery and not one that your forefathers had before arriving here in the US? I dont get the celebration of southern heritage if it was one of chattel slavery for a Black person? Worst type of slavery in the history of the world that delegated you to the status of a mule. Something mental is going on with any Black person that celebrates this heritage regardless of the excuses. I can understand white people having fond memories of that period but it baffles me as to why a Black person would.

Lemme lay it bare for you as white Southerner who had no real heritage in the South. That's the way your southern kin lived. White folks in the South would never have learned to appreciate their contributions to their valued Southern heritage. Not from the textbooks I was given. But the kind of healing I've seen in the South causes white folk to WEEP over the success of what you see only slave labor and the contributions that were made.

African-Americans
In 1839 General Harding brought a young enslaved boy to work at Belle Meade. His name was Robert “Bob” Green. As he grew up working with the horses, he became General Harding’s right hand and was an expert in everything related to the Thoroughbred. At the end of the war, Bob continued to work for the horse farm, and according to an 1879 ledger book in the Belle Meade archives, he was the highest paid worker on the farm as the head hostler or groom. Bob Green became famous for his horse knowledge, and it has been said that many a gentleman in the horse business owed a debt of gratitude to Bob for his knowledge at the yearling sales. The head groom at Belle Meade always wore a white apron, and Green was seen wearing his apron even in New York City. Bob was introduced to President Grover Cleveland during his visit in 1887, and Bob led President Cleveland on a tour of the stud, including profiles of Iroquois, Bramble, Enquirer, Luke Blackburn, Great Tom.

Bob Green was instrumental in taking care of the horses in the stud’s first great sale out of state. During the train trip to New York, the Johnstown Flood of 1889 occurred. The rails were covered in water and the train was forced to detour. During their confinement in the railcars, the horses became excited and the grooms, including Bob, had to hold the horses’ heads to keep them from becoming injured. Despite their best efforts, some of the horses were injured anyway, causing the first New York sale to falter.

At the end of his life, Green was forced to move from the plantation and his home at the old family cabin to his property in Nashville. Not only had he been in charge of all Thoroughbreds at Belle Meade, he owned and raced Thoroughbreds during his lifetime and was heartbroken to leave Belle Meade. In 1906, he was granted his request for burial at the farm, where he rests today in an unmarked grave.

Bob had at least 4 grooms working for him including Sam Nichols who in the 1880’s was offered a position at Fairview Farm but declined in order to stay working at the famous Belle Meade farm.

Doesn't have the part of the story that brought me to tears, but when Mr Green had rough times as a free man and was forced to sell his most cherished horses, descendents of the Hardings secretly bought them at auction and gave them back to him.. That man wasn't JUST a slave for his life. And his LIFE was decidedly Southern culture. Not the HIGH life, but DISTINCTIVELY southern. He played in circles that even white folks couldn't touch..

Lemme lay it bare for you as white Southerner who had no real heritage in the South. That's the way your southern kin lived. White folks in the South would never have learned to appreciate their contributions to their valued Southern heritage. Not from the textbooks I was given. But the kind of healing I've seen in the South causes white folk to WEEP over the success of what you see only slave labor and the contributions that were made.

African-Americans
In 1839 General Harding brought a young enslaved boy to work at Belle Meade. His name was Robert “Bob” Green. As he grew up working with the horses, he became General Harding’s right hand and was an expert in everything related to the Thoroughbred. At the end of the war, Bob continued to work for the horse farm, and according to an 1879 ledger book in the Belle Meade archives, he was the highest paid worker on the farm as the head hostler or groom. Bob Green became famous for his horse knowledge, and it has been said that many a gentleman in the horse business owed a debt of gratitude to Bob for his knowledge at the yearling sales. The head groom at Belle Meade always wore a white apron, and Green was seen wearing his apron even in New York City. Bob was introduced to President Grover Cleveland during his visit in 1887, and Bob led President Cleveland on a tour of the stud, including profiles of Iroquois, Bramble, Enquirer, Luke Blackburn, Great Tom.

Bob Green was instrumental in taking care of the horses in the stud’s first great sale out of state. During the train trip to New York, the Johnstown Flood of 1889 occurred. The rails were covered in water and the train was forced to detour. During their confinement in the railcars, the horses became excited and the grooms, including Bob, had to hold the horses’ heads to keep them from becoming injured. Despite their best efforts, some of the horses were injured anyway, causing the first New York sale to falter.

At the end of his life, Green was forced to move from the plantation and his home at the old family cabin to his property in Nashville. Not only had he been in charge of all Thoroughbreds at Belle Meade, he owned and raced Thoroughbreds during his lifetime and was heartbroken to leave Belle Meade. In 1906, he was granted his request for burial at the farm, where he rests today in an unmarked grave.

Bob had at least 4 grooms working for him including Sam Nichols who in the 1880’s was offered a position at Fairview Farm but declined in order to stay working at the famous Belle Meade farm.

Doesn't have the part of the story that brought me to tears, but when Mr Green had rough times as a free man and was forced to sell his most cherished horses, descendents of the Hardings secretly bought them at auction and gave them back to him.. That man wasn't JUST a slave for his life. And his LIFE was decidedly Southern culture. Not the HIGH life, but DISTINCTIVELY southern. He played in circles that even white folks couldn't touch..
Buried in an unmarked grave kind of says it all.

if you were sitting at a stop light and a pick up truck with a rebel flag pulled up beside you?

Whenever an anti-American or Muslim or foreigner or Lib/Prog/Radical Lefty starts asking questions like this I always imagine they are doing focus group data gathering to prepare their next attack on America.

Or they are trying to devise a way to pit one group of Americans against another and they need to get to the details of how we feel and react to certain hypothetical situations.

Then they will take advantage of that tendency in a way which benefits themselves.

African-Americans

My southern kin were taught to hate the south because of the racism they experienced. You say "wasn't just a slave" as if that is a minor detail. I think you are missing the point. A gilded cage is still a cage and this guy just happens to be a bird that was allowed to live in that gilded cage. His story is all the more a slap in the face because it assumes these circles he frequented somehow made up for all the other Black people going through hell in the south. Black people dont need to be taught we contributed to the souths heritage. We already know this. White people need to be taught that. A flag that was made to symbolize the attempt to keep slavery going should be seen as a dirty rag by Black people. A few one offs of deluded Blacks who buried their heads in the sand to cope with their reality wont change that.

Forum List

Back