You are going on a wilderness adventure...

I think I'd have to leave the shotgun out of the picture altogether.
A combo 22./.270 or maybe a 22./30-06.

But I'd still like a 44. mag on my hip for a last line of defense. Having only one shot with that 30-06 while being scared shitless when a bear is coming at me.....? No thanks.:eek:

Check this out...a modular combo with repeating rifle fire capability.

Hybrid

Only $6500.

The furniture on that thing is amazing!!
I've got one rifle that comes close to that price....the wife told me I couldnt have another.:( :lol:

Good for you, you're doing something right...my wife balked at the $600 for the Baikal. :)

Check this out...a modular combo with repeating rifle fire capability.

Hybrid

Only $6500.

I've got one rifle that comes close to that price....the wife told me I couldnt have another.:( :lol:

Good for you, you're doing something right...my wife balked at the $600 for the Baikal. :)

I did manage to get the OK on a FNX-45 Tactical.:lol:
Picked it up Friday and put a couple hundred rounds through it Saturday.
HIGHLY recommend it!! Best shooting 45 I've ever fired.

I did manage to get the OK on a FNX-45 Tactical.:lol:
Picked it up Friday and put a couple hundred rounds through it Saturday.
HIGHLY recommend it!! Best shooting 45 I've ever fired.

Sweet!

Today I found myself in Lexington, KY with some time to kill, so I stopped at Bud's Gun Shops retail location to look around and found a Chiappa folding 22lr over '410 fixed full choke combo.

5.5 lbs, 19 inches folded.

2381063_01_just_in_double_badgers_over_un_640.jpg

Have that as the second gun...with whatever long range large game repeater as the primary.

Plus, at $300 out the door, my wife probably won't beat me to death with it...probably...

Last edited:
If I could have just a single longarm and a single handgun it would be my Ruger 10/22 with Gemtech suppressor and my Colt Python. Both are pretty much bombproof and with the .22 I can kill anything I need to to eat and it's firing signature is so small that if there were two legged predators they would have a hard time figuring out where I was.

Today I found myself in Lexington, KY with some time to kill, so I stopped at Bud's Gun Shops retail location to look around and found a Chiappa folding 22lr over '410 fixed full choke combo.

Have that as the second gun...with whatever long range large game repeater as the primary.

Plus, at $300 out the door, my wife probably won't beat me to death with it...probably...

I love odd guns. I just cant bring myself to spend money on em.

If I could have just a single longarm and a single handgun it would be my Ruger 10/22 with Gemtech suppressor and my Colt Python. Both are pretty much bombproof and with the .22 I can kill anything I need to to eat and it's firing signature is so small that if there were two legged predators they would have a hard time figuring out where I was.

Yeah,you can pretty much drop anything with a well placed .22 round as far as getting something to eat goes.

I couldn't spend the $400 on that plastic Savage model 42...but this I could abide.

I'll be interested to see how the .410 bore patterns, and if the barrels are properly indexed.

I couldn't spend the $400 on that plastic Savage model 42...but this I could abide.

I'll be interested to see how the .410 bore patterns, and if the barrels are properly indexed.

I buy guns that fill a specific need or niche. The only gun I own based on sentiment would be my Winchester 30.30. At some point I'd like to find an old Colt Peace Maker as well.

I buy guns that fill a specific need or niche. The only gun I own based on sentiment would be my Winchester 30.30. At some point I'd like to find an old Colt Peace Maker as well.

I own a few guns that have been handed down, so I have sme with sentimental value.

I tend not to buy guns that compromise for convenience. The .22/.410 over & under is a novel piece. But I would think it would not be a particularly great example of either a .22 rifle or a .410 shotgun.

I own a few guns that have been handed down, so I have sme with sentimental value.

I tend not to buy guns that compromise for convenience. The .22/.410 over & under is a novel piece. But I would think it would not be a particularly great example of either a .22 rifle or a .410 shotgun.

Same here. I wouldnt mind putting a few rounds through it,but it's not a gun I would buy.
My purchases go like this: Shotgun for general bird hunting. Shotgun for home defense. Pistol for carry.Pistol for home defense.
This is rather simplified obviously but it's my thought process when purchasing firearms.

I'm hoping this will fill a need.

I'd like to carry it with me when I'm hunting something else...but wouldn't mind bringing home something when I fail to call in a turkey, or the wild boar are nowhere to be found.

we'll see if this fits the bill.

I'd like to carry it with me when I'm hunting something else...but wouldn't mind bringing home something when I fail to call in a turkey, or the wild boar are nowhere to be found.

Then I guess it fills that niche for you.:lol:
Most of my hunting was done on my own property.(Sold that place for a nice profit and we're in the market for a new place) So I really never stressed if I wasn't successful because there's always the next day.
So carrying a multi purpose gun was never really a concern for me.
Hell,easily half the deer I shot were from my back porch.:lol:

Most of my hunting was done on my own property.(Sold that place for a nice profit and we're in the market for a new place) So I really never stressed if I wasn't successful because there's always the next day.

That would be ideal, but unfortunately we moved 70 miles from my huntin' land...so I mostly hunt public land.

We moved out here three or four years ago, so on many occasions I find myself in strange woods.

That would be ideal, but unfortunately we moved 70 miles from my huntin' land...so I mostly hunt public land.

We moved out here three or four years ago, so on many occasions I find myself in strange woods.

Then I would have to say that your choice in firearms is a wise one.
I would do the exact same thing if I were in your position. You gotta make those trips count in anyway possible. Because nothing taste better then fresh game you put on the table through your own efforts. Be it squirrel,rabbit or any other critter that flies our walks.

I've both read and watched "Into the Wild." McCandless, aka Alexander Supertramp would be the wrong person to get advice on going into any wilderness. He did pack in a .22 rifle, but was too foolish to pack a saw or a hatchet. When he killed a moose, he was too unprepared to harvest the big animal, and most was wasted. He was more of a progressive hobo than a true survivalist. He took over an abandoned bus made into a cheap cabin, but then vandalized two nearby cabins that offended his twisted ideas of nature.

For this thread to have the same relevance, you'd have to be limited to what YOU could pack in under your own strength. Otherwide I'd have everything I needed choppered-in.

That being said, for the same Alaskan wilderness, I'd get a can of bear spray and a lightweight 12 guage pump with a few pounds of birdshot, small game loads and buckshot.

Why not just have some slugs for that 12-gauge and then it'll be good bear protection, too?

I live in Alaska and I'm afraid of bears, so I agree with the 12-gauge, I'd just include some slugs in my ammo. I'd be more worried about running into an angry brown bear than finding enough to eat. You put all your planning and effort into feeding yourself and then you stay nice and healthy and the bears are saying, "Look at that nice, plump human stumbling around out there, I wonder how he'd taste?" :lol:

Last edited:
I've both read and watched "Into the Wild." McCandless, aka Alexander Supertramp would be the wrong person to get advice on going into any wilderness. He did pack in a .22 rifle, but was too foolish to pack a saw or a hatchet. When he killed a moose, he was too unprepared to harvest the big animal, and most was wasted. He was more of a progressive hobo than a true survivalist. He took over an abandoned bus made into a cheap cabin, but then vandalized two nearby cabins that offended his twisted ideas of nature.

For this thread to have the same relevance, you'd have to be limited to what YOU could pack in under your own strength. Otherwide I'd have everything I needed choppered-in.

That being said, for the same Alaskan wilderness, I'd get a can of bear spray and a lightweight 12 guage pump with a few pounds of birdshot, small game loads and buckshot.

Why not just have some slugs for that 12-gauge and then it'll be good bear protection, too?

I live in Alaska and I'm afraid of bears, so I agree with the 12-gauge, I'd just include some slugs in my ammo. I'd be more worried about running into an angry brown bear than finding enough to eat. You put all your planning and effort into feeding yourself and then you stay nice and healthy and the bears are saying, "Look at that nice, plump human stumbling around out there, I wonder how he'd taste?" :lol:

If we are limited to what we can pack in, I'll have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44Mag, a Ruger 10/22 and a Thompson Center Encore with bbls in .338 & 12 ga.

The plus to a big bore handgun is that you will have it with you when something happens. I can have it in a holster and not notice it as I go about my work of surviving. Not so much with a long arm.

McCandless would not be someone I would choose to emulate. He may have had so great sounding ideas, but he was seriously unprepared for living in the wilderness. Hobos survive by the generosity of society. The wilderness has no such generosity.

I was reading this thread (http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...e-stupid-but-can-we-make-them-pay-for-it.html)...that referenced the book "Into the Wild", in which the story culminates with Chris McCandless' adventure, unprepared, into Alaska's last frontier...it got me to speculating about, if I could only take one, what firearm would I take on an extended solo wilderness adventure.

So I ask you, if you could only take one gun into the wilds of the backwoods, what would it be?

I'm a little late to the party but I like these types of questions and dilemmas.

I guess it would depend on the terrain and the type of wild game available in the area. It would also depend on whether or not I had pack animals or if I would be hoofing it on my own.

First of all, I would probably focus my attention on smaller game as I would have to find a way to store all the extra meat that comes from deer or elk or other larger game animals. Small animals could be eaten in one sitting. So my focus would likely be on a smaller caliber which would serve two purposes: 1) Enough killing power for small game and 2) lighter ammo. However, I would still want something big enough to kill large predators if that became necessary.

I actually like the idea of taking a 12GA shotgun with plenty of slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. That would give me the option of going after multiple game mammals and birds. But the ammo is so heavy and bulky that I'm not sure it would be practical (unless I had a pack mule). I also love my AR15 (my favorite rifle) but am not sure if that would be the best choice when it came to shooting really small game like rabbits or squirrels. So I'm kind of leaning towards a .22 Magnum rifle. It's a little light for my tastes but it may be the most practical round in this situation. I don't own one and have never shot one so I'm "shooting in the dark," so to speak.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back