Your Favorite Things About Israel

Today is Sunday, Tevet 1, 5779 · December 9, 2018
Chanukah Day 7 • Rosh Chodesh Tevet

Today's Laws & Customs

• Rosh Chodesh Observances

Today is the 2nd of the two Rosh Chodesh ("Head of the Month") days for the month of Tevet (when a month has 30 days, both the last day of the month and the first day of the following month serve as the following month's Rosh Chodesh).

The Yaaleh V'yavo prayer is added to the Amidah and to Grace After Meals, and the additional Musaf prayer is said. Because it is also Chanukah today, the "full" Hallel (Psalms 113-118) is recited (and not the "partial Hallel" said on the Rosh Chodesh days of other months).

Many have the custom to mark Rosh Chodesh with a festive meal and reduced work activity. The latter custom is prevalent amongst women, who have a special affinity with Rosh Chodesh -- the month being the feminine aspect of the Jewish Calendar.

Links: The 29th Day; The Lunar Files

• Kindle Eight Chanukah Lights tonight

In commemoration of the miracle of Chanukah we kindle the Chanukah lights—oil lamps or candles—each evening of the eight-day festival, increasing the number of lights each evening. Tonight we kindle eight lights. (In the Jewish calendar, the day begins at nightfall; this evening, then, commences the 3rd day of Chanukah).

The lights—which ideally should be kindled soon after sunset—must burn for at least half an hour after nightfall.

“And what,” I asked him, “are those two olive trees, one on the right and one on the left of the menorah?”
Zechariah 4:11 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

va-A-an va-o-MAR ay-LAV mah sh’-NAY ha-zay-TEEM ha-AY-leh al y’-MEEN ha-m’-no-RAH v’-al s’-mo-LAH

The Two Olive Trees
The menorah and olive branches depicted in Zechariah's vision were chosen as the centerpieces of the State of Israel’s emblem. According to its designers, the olive branches symbolize the state’s peaceful intentions. The image of the menorah, copied from the Arch of Titus, attests to the link of the Jewish people with their glorious past in their homeland, and Israel’s return to its former luster. There are perhaps no two better symbols to represent the Jewish people. Oil is extracted when pressure is applied. In a similar fashion, the Jewish people are refined when faced with difficulty, as hardship allows one to become more sensitive to others and form a closer connection with Hashem(God). It follows that olive oil is used to light the menorah, representing clarity and wisdom for the entire world.

Lior Elmaleh - Azamer Bishvahin

Words: Rabbi Yitzhak Luria 16th century Tzfat
Music: Shlomo Amzaleg

They'll tell you that you that from My heart you're uprooted
And exiled forever from above My table
They'll remind you of things you've hidden
Until your entire body trembles with shame
They will point to all your mistakes
Your stupidity, your affection for evil
They will nag "It was in your hands"
"And now you have no way back"

And you will listen to them
And you will believe them

They will prove to you that My mercy has a limit
Which you have crossed in the haste of your feet
No scream no sigh no trick
Will not return My face to you
They'll tell you about a whispering divine voice
Saying "return naughty children"
"Everyone except you"
They'll suggest to you
Sine you've been caught in the net
"Now twitch in pleasure"

Do not listen to them
Do not believe them

Know my beloved child
Because from My heart you're not uprooted
To Me you're forever
A beautiful child a son of amusement

From their words the truth is not absent
You have something to repent for
Things you could have chosen differently
And you did not find the courage to regret it
Yet My love take this away from your heart
Every thought of fear at a time
Underneath every piercing truth lies
The real truth

Do not listen to them
Do not believe them

Know my beloved child
Because from My heart you're not uprooted
To Me you're forever
A beautiful child a son of amusement

It's true that I love justice
But above that I love mercy

Shuli Rand - Know My Beloved Child

Last edited:

You have proffered him blessings of good things, have set upon his head a crown of fine gold
Psalms 21:4 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

kee t’-ka-d’-ME-nu bir-KHOT TOV ta-SHEET l’-ro-SHO a-TE-ret PAZ

Crowning the King of Israel
This psalm praises the king of Israel and prays that he conquer Israel’s enemies. Hashem(God) places a gold crown on his head, as a symbol of His protection and providence. The first king of Israel, Shaul (Saul), came from the tribe of Binyamin (Benjamin). The prophet Shmuel (Samuel) anoints him in the hills of Efraim and the nation rallies behind him and crowns him king.

Forum List

Back