Your Favorite Things About Israel

RE: Your Favorite Things About Israel
⁜→ Mindful, et al,

WOW! I would have never guessed this guy was "Blues Oriented."

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 3.42.46 PM.png

(COMMENT)

He opened his mouth and started to play. I would have never guess that sound would come from underneath a Water Repellent Wool Felt Outback hat and a
Woolly Wild Child beard. Listen to Lazar Lloyd.

v/r
R

An Ancient Depiction of a Nine-Branched Menorah Discovered in the Negev

While the menorah in the Jerusalem Temples, like that described in the book of Exodus, had seven branches, the menorah traditionally used for the holiday of Hanukkah has nine. The former type is one of the most common motifs of ancient Jewish art; the latter rarely appears at all. But during excavations of a Second Temple-era village near the southern Israeli city of Beersheba, archaeologists have found a potsherd depicting a nine-branched candelabrum. Amanda Borschel-Dan writes:

The site is dated to the 1st century CE and was settled until the Bar Kokhba Revolt in 135 CE; . . . underground hidden passageways discovered there may have been used by Jewish rebels. Unearthed on the southernmost border of [the Roman province of] Judea, . . . the site’s finds indicate a continuation of Jewish religious practice on the edges of the kingdom, such as ritual baths, stone vessels associated with the laws of purity, and an abundance of pottery and lamps decorated with typical Jewish themes such as grape leaves. Additional finds include olive and date pits and baking facilities. . . .

In addition to the site’s size and [the fact that it has been well preserved], the archaeologist Shira Bloch emphasized that its significance is also drawn from the clear evidence that despite being on the outskirts of the kingdom, the residents “kept their Judaism.” . .

An Ancient Depiction of a Nine-Branched Menorah Discovered in the Negev

Biblical view on the Judean Hills near Jerusalem, Israel (Shutterstock).
Then will I remember My covenant with Yaakov; I will rememberalso My covenant with Yitzchak, and also My covenant with Avraham; and I will remember the land.
Leviticus 26:42 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

v’-za-khar-TEE et b’-ree-TEE ya-a-KOV v’-AF et b’-ree-TEE yitz-KHAK v’-AF et b’-ree-TEE av-ra-HAM ez-KOR v’-ha-A-retz ez-KOR

The Fortune of Our Generation - Witnessing Hashem “Remembering the Land”

This passage lists the curses that will be brought upon the People of Israel if they fail to follow Hashem’s commandments. If His children’s sins become too great, God promises to exile the people from the Promised Land, and to destroy the land itself. Following these curses, however, Hashem promises that He will never give up on His people and that ultimately, there will be a redemption. In this verse, He promises that he will remember not only the People of Israel, but also the Land of Israel itself. He will return His chosen people to the chosen land, and this land will flourish. How fortunate is our generation to witness Hashem “remembering the land” as this verse promises.

ccf95d88-643b-423b-ba02-794a4426c953.png

The Flourishing Jordan Valley
Photo Credit: A.Y. Katsof

"This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord."
Isaiah 54:17

A Christian ZIonist shows her support by planting trees in Israel (Eliana Rudee).
The king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, one of whom was named Shiphrah and the other Puah
Exodus 1:15 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

va-YO-mer ME-lekh mitz-RA-yim lam-ya-l’-DOT ha-iv-ri-YOT a-SHER SHAYM ha-a-KHAT shif-RAH v’-SHAYM ha-shay-NEET pu-AH

A Biblical Lesson About Moral Responsibility

The identity of these ‘Hebrew midwives,’ meyaldot haivriyot ( ), is debated by Rabbinic commentators. Many have assumed, as the literal reading implies, that they were Jewish women. But other commentators, such as the Abrabanel, suggest that the midwives Shiphrah and Puah were Egyptians. This interpretation is primarily based on the use of the phrase “fear of God,” a phrase often used to describe the behavior of exceptional gentiles, in reference to their heroic actions. According to these interpreters, the phrase meyaldot haivriyot, ‘Hebrew midwives,’ is deliberately ambiguous, and it actually refers to the “midwives for the Hebrew women.” If so, Shiphrah and Puah were the first gentiles in history to risk their lives in order to rescue a Jew. Israeli Bible scholar and teacher par excellence, Nechama Leibowitz, remarked about this passage, “If we accept that the midwives were Egyptian, a …very vital message becomes apparent. The Torah indicates how the individual can resist evil. He need not shirk his moral responsibility under cover of ‘superior orders’ … Neither moral courage nor sheer wickedness are ethnically or nationally determined qualities. Moab and Ammon produced a Ruth and Naamah respectively; Egypt two righteous midwives.”

Forum List

Back