Your Favorite Things About Israel

upload_2019-4-14_8-38-53.jpeg

upload_2019-4-14_8-38-53.png

Tel Aviv-Yafo
City in Israel
Description
Tel Aviv, a city on Israel’s Mediterranean coast, is marked by stark 1930s Bauhaus buildings, thousands of which are clustered in the White City architectural area. Museums include Beit Hatfutsot, whose multimedia exhibits illustrate the history of Jewish communities worldwide. The Eretz Israel Museum covers the country’s archaeology, folklore and crafts, and features an on-site excavation of 12th-century-B.C. ruins.

A man prays at the Western Wall in Jerusalem, Israel (Shutterstock).
Let my tongue stick to my palate if I cease to think of you, if I do not keep Yerushalayim in memory even at my happiest hour.
Psalms 137:6 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

tid-BAK l’-sho-NEE l’-khi-KEE im LO ez-k’-RAY-khee im LO a-a-LEH et y’-ru-sha-LA-imAL ROSH sim-kha-TEE

The Saint of Jerusalem

Rabbi Aryeh Levin (1885 – 1969) was considered one of the most righteous and pious Jews of the 20th century. He was known as the “Tzadik (saint) of Yerushalayim” for his devotion to the needy and downtrodden of the Holy City. His passion for seeing only the goodness of people and his zeal for Jerusalem were part of his very fiber. As is the Jewish custom, Rabbi Levin would place ashes on the forehead of a bridegroom under the wedding canopy in order to keep the destruction of Yerushalayim at the forefront of everyone’s mind “even at my happiest hour”. Fittingly, he had the privilege of personally experiencing the fulfillment of Rabbinic adage: “All who mourn Jerusalem, merit to witness its rebuilding (Taanit 30b).” After the liberation of Jerusalem in 1967, the “Tzadik of Yerushalayim” would visit the Western Wall weekly, until his death two years later.

Four American lone soldiers on their day of aliyah, about to draft into the IDF (Eliana Rudee)
And Yehoshua set up in Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken from the Yarden.
Joshua 4:20 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

v’-AYT sh’-TAYM es-RAY ha-a-va-NEEM ha-AY-leh a-SHER la-k’-KHU min ha-yar-DAYN hay-KEEM y’-ho-SHU-a ba-gil-GAL

Israel: United but not Uniform

Yehoshua establishes a monument from twelve stones taken from the Yarden, each representing one tribe. Rabbi Shlomo Aviner notes that this monument represents the “unity but not uniformity” of the Jewish people. There are twelve individual stones, which symbolize the diversity of the tribes. But the stones are not scattered. Together, they form a unified monument. This “unity but not uniformity” is one of the keys to Israel’s success. Israel is an extremely diverse country. Yet her people have unified to create a society that is truly a “light unto the nations.” On Yom HaAliyah, we honor this fact by celebrating Israel's immigrants who make the country diverse, and at the same time, united in its Jewish peoplehood. We also give a special thanks to the lone soldiers in the IDF who have made aliyah, leaving their homes and familes to protect the State of Israel. Thank you, and happy Yom HaAliyah! Support lone soldiers on Yom HaAliyah and ahead of the Passover holiday here.

Gad, Benny & Benyamin Elbaz - 'Even Maasu HaBonim'

"The stone that the builders rejected became a cornerstone.
This was from HaShem; it is wondrous in our eyes. " - Psalms 118

Four American lone soldiers on their day of aliyah, about to draft into the IDF (Eliana Rudee)
And Yehoshua set up in Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken from the Yarden.
Joshua 4:20 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

v’-AYT sh’-TAYM es-RAY ha-a-va-NEEM ha-AY-leh a-SHER la-k’-KHU min ha-yar-DAYN hay-KEEM y’-ho-SHU-a ba-gil-GAL

Israel: United but not Uniform

Yehoshua establishes a monument from twelve stones taken from the Yarden, each representing one tribe. Rabbi Shlomo Aviner notes that this monument represents the “unity but not uniformity” of the Jewish people. There are twelve individual stones, which symbolize the diversity of the tribes. But the stones are not scattered. Together, they form a unified monument. This “unity but not uniformity” is one of the keys to Israel’s success. Israel is an extremely diverse country. Yet her people have unified to create a society that is truly a “light unto the nations.” On Yom HaAliyah, we honor this fact by celebrating Israel's immigrants who make the country diverse, and at the same time, united in its Jewish peoplehood. We also give a special thanks to the lone soldiers in the IDF who have made aliyah, leaving their homes and familes to protect the State of Israel. Thank you, and happy Yom HaAliyah! Support lone soldiers on Yom HaAliyah and ahead of the Passover holiday here.

The Children return to claim their inheritance. Blessed be G-d

Despite being on the frontlines of border riots and rocket attacks (and some sandy driveways), the communities in southern Israel along the border with the Gaza Strip are experiencing economic growth that is double that of the rest of the country.

IMG-20190408-WA0020-1-880x495.jpg

Aerial photo of new neighborhoods being built in the Halutza communities of the Gaza Envelope. Credit: Jewish National Fund.

Surviving and thriving: Israeli communities near Gaza see remarkable growth despite daily terror threats

ade0bbc1-d0ac-476d-8ee6-0aea47bba061.png

Judean Hills looking out onto the Dead Sea
Photo Credit: Shalhevet Eyal

"They shall come trembling as a bird out of Egypt...and I will make them to dwell in their houses."
Hosea 11:11

This thread is for those who either live in Israel, have been to Israel, or simply enjoy many of the things which come from Israel.

Post your favorite movies, songs, books, poetry, restaurants, dishes, Malls, beaches, Archeological finds, tourist locations, stories, holidays.....the sky is the limit.

(Trolls? Ignore them)

My favorite thing about Israel is that they have some balls along with some brains and don't mind acting like it.

Forum List

Back