Your Favorite Things About Israel

Israel365 & NBA All Stars Bring Smiles to Underprivileged Israeli Kids

PHOTO: Rabbi Tuly Weisz, along with NBA All Stars Michael Redd and Tamir Goodman host a basketball clinic for the underprivileged children of World Emunah's Neve Landy Children's Village.

Train a lad in the way he ought to go;
He will not swerve from it even in old age

Proverbs 22:6 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

KHA-nokh la-NA-ar al pi DAR-koh gam KEE yaz-KEN lo YA-seer MEE-me-neh

RE: Your Favorite Things About Israel
⁜→ Sixties Fan, et al,

In all these types of competitions, there are going to be winners (The Netherlands, Italy and Russia) as well as those that had the courage to participate and did their best → yet did not achieve their desired goal.

(COMMENT)

But in the end, The State of Israel was a very gracious host and walked the line with dignity. While there can't help but be a pinch of disappointment, Israel still celebrated in recognition of the winners.

Most Respectfully,
R

7fa26dab-3a5f-4a9d-b04c-cd59e3a535d5.png

Blossoming Hills of Judea
Photo Credit: Chani Lavi

"Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come."
Song of Songs 2:12

One of the principal reasons given for sabbath observance is the preservation of the distinction between Israel and the nations of the world, in order that those self-same nations will be able to recognize in Israel the mamlecheth kohanim vëgoy qadosh -- the “kingdom of kohanim and holy nation” ( XIX, 6) -- from whom they are to learn fundamental morality:

V ë’atta dabbér el bënei Yisra’él lémor, Ach eth shabbëthothai rishmoru, ki oth hi’ beini uveineichem lëdorotheichem lada‘ath ki Ani Ha-Shem mëqaddishchem.

And you [Moshe], speak to the bënei Yisra’él to say, Just you should keep My sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you for your generations to know that I, Ha-Shem, sanctify you (XXXI, 13).

Rashi elucidates:

It is a great sign between us that I have chosen you by granting you My day of rest for repose, so that the nations should know thereby that I, Ha-Shem sanctify you.

The other (not unrelated) reason is summarized in the Decalogue, where we find:

Ki shésheth yamim ‘asa Ha-Shem eth hashamayim vë’eth ha’aretz, eth hayam vë’eth kol asher bam, vayanach bayom hashëvi‘i, ‘al kén bérach Ha-Shem eth yom habshabbath vayëqaddëshéhu.

For [in] six days Ha-Shem made the heavens and the Earth, the sea and everything in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore Ha-Shem blessed the sabbath day and sanctified it (ibid., XX, 11).

In other words, our observance proclaims the existence of the Creator, Who created the entire universe.

In light of this dual purpose in observing the sabbath, it is a little startling to encounter the following in the Talmud:

This Week's Torah Portion: The Importance of Shabbat

Tel Aviv: Fulfilling Biblical Prophecy and Future Promises

PHOTO: Kedumim Square located in Tel Aviv-Jaffa (Shutterstock).

And I came to the exile community that dwelt in Tel Abib by the Chebar Canal, and I remained where they dwelt. And for seven days I sat there stunned among them
Ezekiel 3:15 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

va-a-VO el ha-go-LAH TAYL a-VEEV ha-yo-sh’-VEEM el n’-har k’-VAR va-ay-SHAYV
HAY-mah yo-sh’-VEEM SHAM va-ay-SHAYV SHAM shiv-AT ya-MEEM mash-MEEM
b’-to-KHAM

One of the principal reasons given for sabbath observance is the preservation of the distinction between Israel and the nations of the world, in order that those self-same nations will be able to recognize in Israel the mamlecheth kohanim vëgoy qadosh -- the “kingdom of kohanim and holy nation” ( XIX, 6) -- from whom they are to learn fundamental morality:

V ë’atta dabbér el bënei Yisra’él lémor, Ach eth shabbëthothai rishmoru, ki oth hi’ beini uveineichem lëdorotheichem lada‘ath ki Ani Ha-Shem mëqaddishchem.

And you [Moshe], speak to the bënei Yisra’él to say, Just you should keep My sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you for your generations to know that I, Ha-Shem, sanctify you (XXXI, 13).

Rashi elucidates:

It is a great sign between us that I have chosen you by granting you My day of rest for repose, so that the nations should know thereby that I, Ha-Shem sanctify you.

The other (not unrelated) reason is summarized in the Decalogue, where we find:

Ki shésheth yamim ‘asa Ha-Shem eth hashamayim vë’eth ha’aretz, eth hayam vë’eth kol asher bam, vayanach bayom hashëvi‘i, ‘al kén bérach Ha-Shem eth yom habshabbath vayëqaddëshéhu.

For [in] six days Ha-Shem made the heavens and the Earth, the sea and everything in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore Ha-Shem blessed the sabbath day and sanctified it (ibid., XX, 11).

In other words, our observance proclaims the existence of the Creator, Who created the entire universe.

In light of this dual purpose in observing the sabbath, it is a little startling to encounter the following in the Talmud:

This Week's Torah Portion: The Importance of Shabbat

Great drashah, enjoyed very much.
This is one of those things our Rabbi keeps repeating to us - to look for the Ta'amei Mitzvot (lit. tastes of Mitzvot), so that we do them with heart, intention. Find out what's sweet is hidden in their essence.

"Shabat one sixtieth to the world to come, sleep one sixtieth to death" - Bavli Berachot 57 2

Rabbi Manis Friedman has a simple explanation to the 'tastes' of Mitzvot - "Because it's Him, Hashem said it", that is close to people who already feel natural gratitude and connection, just want to be good to Hashem as much as possible, that is Hassidut.

But when I look at it from a more selfish perspective - Shabat it's like spiritual wine.
You do get an addition to neshamah, and it can be felt.
The atmosphere does get holy, more calm and charged with something majestic - can be felt in many ways, especially when coming out of it, when Shabat ends. I felt it even when I didn't keep it, I think people do...

No wonder other nations made sure to specifically choose other days - this one is intimately between Hashem and Yisrael forever.

Last edited:
1024px-B-61_bomb_rack-e1443072081312.jpg

Low yield tactical nuclear SAM's.

For the hordes.

And the low yield tactical nuclear tank missiles.

1025889399.jpg

There's some serious retrofitting work for these boys.

SagivCohen - Mizmor Letoda (Song For a Thanksgiving)

"A song for a thanksgiving offering. Shout to Hashem, all the earth.
Serve Hahsem with joy, come before Him with praise.
Know that Hashem is G-d; He made us and we are His nation and the flock of His pasture.
Come into His gates with thanksgiving, His courtyards with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His name.
For Hashem is good; His kindness is forever, and until generation after generation is His faith."

- Psalm 100

Shai Tsabari - Lecha Keli Teshukoti (To You My G-d My Passion)

Written by Rabbi Avraham ibn 'Eza

Forum List

Back