Your kids stink.

BZnEz2OCUAA87oK.jpg:large

Bad idea? Good idea but badly expressed?

What say you?

well, if that is the truth...

however, the issue should, probably, have been addressed not by a public letter, but letters sent to the parents privately. Typed.
And with a bit different content - it is too emotional and should be more legalized and indifferent.

Kids go to learn. BUT...they are also pretty dirty little darlin's. Or can get that way once there. However, they need to be clean so they can get all the germs off the playground equipment, sneeze on each other, drop their candy and pick it back up and plop it back in their mouth or share it with a few other kids, etc etc etc.

If the kid stinks, then I can see her point in not wanting to be near them or even tough them. Maybe she has kids at home..or an elder...and doesn't want to carry any communicable probs at the end of the day. Kinda hard to lean over and teach a child when they have poopy pants or lice in their hair.

On the other hand...she worded that REALLY bad. I think I would be pissed off too, then write a note back telling her it ain't MY kid she is smelling...it's her upper lip since that is nearest her nose.

Overall.....it could have been handled better.

Barring an overly sensitive teacher, parents need to take care of their children's hygiene. Especially children of this age need to learn to take care of themselves. The article does not indicate what measures the teacher may have already taken to rectify the situation, either.
It is an unfortunate fact of life that many people with the biological ability to produce offspring do so without having the corresponding psychological ability or the intellectual maturity to actually do a decent job of raising them. We call those poor kids "fuck trophies".

Kids go to learn. BUT...they are also pretty dirty little darlin's. Or can get that way once there. However, they need to be clean so they can get all the germs off the playground equipment, sneeze on each other, drop their candy and pick it back up and plop it back in their mouth or share it with a few other kids, etc etc etc.

If the kid stinks, then I can see her point in not wanting to be near them or even tough them. Maybe she has kids at home..or an elder...and doesn't want to carry any communicable probs at the end of the day. Kinda hard to lean over and teach a child when they have poopy pants or lice in their hair.

On the other hand...she worded that REALLY bad. I think I would be pissed off too, then write a note back telling her it ain't MY kid she is smelling...it's her upper lip since that is nearest her nose.

Overall.....it could have been handled better.

While you are correct about children going to school to learn, they should also be learning (hopefully at home) how to properly care for themselves, including personal hygiene.
I do agree that the teacher did not handle the presentation of her complaint well.

As a former first grade teacher, it made me cringe...especially the line, "It also makes it difficult for me to be close to them or even want to touch them.":( Lots of little kids love hugs, and how hurtful to express it in that way, because you know some parents will repeat it to their kids. It's the sort of thing that could stick with a kid for life. So much kinder and effective ways to deal with it. Have a study on personal hygiene, and involve the parents. They could help their child fill out daily logs on brushing teeth, washing hands, bathing, etc. Incorporate general cleanliness, with a focus on helping to eliminate germs around the house, especially during cold and flu season. Ugh, I don't know why some people even choose to enter the profession. In extreme situations, a diplomatic note/call from the school nurse is best, so not to cause embarrassment and withdrawal on behalf of the parent towards the teacher.

Barring an overly sensitive teacher, parents need to take care of their children's hygiene. Especially children of this age need to learn to take care of themselves. The article does not indicate what measures the teacher may have already taken to rectify the situation, either.
It is an unfortunate fact of life that many people with the biological ability to produce offspring do so without having the corresponding psychological ability or the intellectual maturity to actually do a decent job of raising them. We call those poor kids "fuck trophies".

they are 3 or 4. They do not yet know how to take care of themselves. Some are still in diapers, which is not that rare ( and no, I do not approve of that, but if the diaper training doesn't start until 2 years old, what do you expect).

If the kid is smelly at this age - that is totally parent's fault. Even if the 3-4 yo gets all dirty in food in kindergarten - that is not going to be stinking until the next day. If the kid takes a bath daily and gets clean clothes daily - they won't stink at that age - because of their physiology.
Some parents need to be taught basic hygiene, but it really can and should be addressed in the other way.

As a former first grade teacher, it made me cringe...especially the line, "It also makes it difficult for me to be close to them or even want to touch them.":( Lots of little kids love hugs, and how hurtful to express it in that way, because you know some parents will repeat it to their kids. It's the sort of thing that could stick with a kid for life. So much kinder and effective ways to deal with it. Have a study on personal hygiene, and involve the parents. They could help their child fill out daily logs on brushing teeth, washing hands, bathing, etc. Incorporate general cleanliness, with a focus on helping to eliminate germs around the house, especially during cold and flu season. Ugh, I don't know why some people even choose to enter the profession. In extreme situations, a diplomatic note/call from the school nurse is best, so not to cause embarrassment and withdrawal on behalf of the parent towards the teacher.

That part got to me too. "I don't want to get close to them because they stink" and some moron parent telling their kid that. Shudder. What an awful thing to hear. And yes, it does affect them for life.
I could never EVER hug my mother. I would muss her hair. Or wrinkle her dress. Or worse, give her cooties. To this day, I have a 5 foot invisible wall around me. I do not hug. I do not kiss on the cheek. I avoid shaking hands. Too afraid I will be pushed away.

Fox smells it's own hole, Connery. That's what that teacher is smelling.
Pisses me off. Poor kids. I HOPE like hell no parent is THAT moronic to repeat what that note said...or that the teacher EVER uttered those words to her kindergarteners.

Now..if your kid had that teacher...what would you want done? And what would you do about what she wrote and sent home WITH your kid?

somehow it is hard to believe somebody with a teacher's training will produce such a note.
I just suspect it is not a real story.
Or it was not a teacher who wrote it.

well, and that is why I smell a fake :D

they are 3 or 4. They do not yet know how to take care of themselves. Some are still in diapers, which is not that rare ( and no, I do not approve of that, but if the diaper training doesn't start until 2 years old, what do you expect).

If the kid is smelly at this age - that is totally parent's fault. Even if the 3-4 yo gets all dirty in food in kindergarten - that is not going to be stinking until the next day. If the kid takes a bath daily and gets clean clothes daily - they won't stink at that age - because of their physiology.
Some parents need to be taught basic hygiene, but it really can and should be addressed in the other way.

Kids this age can, and should, start being trained to care for themselves. You are right about parents being poorly trained themselves. One of the fallacies of sending children to school at the age of 3 or 4 years is exactly that they have not yet been fully trained in some basic hygienic concepts. We push children into these situations way too early, they should still be home with their family if they are in diapers, unless some medical reason exists.

Sure wish when kids are born, in their little tiny fist is a small manual on "How to properly raise, love, treat, teach this being". Wouldn't that be nice?

So...anyway...pretend this is YOUR kid with THIS teacher. What would you do? What would you want done with the teacher? Punishment? Lessons on tact? Nothing?

Forum List

Back