Your kids stink.

So...anyway...pretend this is YOUR kid with THIS teacher. What would you do? What would you want done with the teacher? Punishment? Lessons on tact? Nothing?

I can forgive a lot, but when it comes to my kids I would tend to go mama bear...I don't think that teacher could regain my confidence and ability to trust her with my child. Doubtful that my kid would return to her classroom, especially at that age when they might not be able to readily communicate, or even understand, negative behaviors on the part of the teacher.

So...anyway...pretend this is YOUR kid with THIS teacher. What would you do? What would you want done with the teacher? Punishment? Lessons on tact? Nothing?

Hm. Simply punishment will, most probably, not result in understanding.

I don't know. I would try to talk to her In private. If the letter is real, it has some signs of despair. So, since my kid was potty trained by the age of 18 months and had a daily bath and his clothes were changed daily, I would talk to the teacher in a manner of a friendly advice, that is, probably, easier and better to get to the offenders through the private conversation.
And then suggest something in the lies of what Sherry has written - how to encourage kids to be clean.
My son did not go to kindergarten until the age 5 and that is a much different child than a 3 or 4 year old.

I started kindergarten at 4. School started in June...I turned 5 in October.

Meanwhile....like Sherry, I would not trust that woman with my kid. Ever. I would hate to see the teacher fired over such poor choice of action, but would maybe put her in with older children...MUCH older. Or on the playground during recess. That way she doesn't have to get near them. They won't want to be near her, either. Not during playtime!

Given current conditions, I'd home school. Teachers are not the people they once were...well, not enough of them. We all make mistakes. I'd prefer to know that the school administration had counseled her and that she knew that there were other ways to address the problem.

I can forgive a lot, but when it comes to my kids I would tend to go mama bear...I don't think that teacher could regain my confidence and ability to trust her with my child. Doubtful that my kid would return to her classroom, especially at that age when they might not be able to readily communicate, or even understand, negative behaviors on the part of the teacher.

I would wonder why you were sending your child to school at the age of 3-4 years in the first place.

I don't know. I would try to talk to her In private. If the letter is real, it has some signs of despair. So, since my kid was potty trained by the age of 18 months and had a daily bath and his clothes were changed daily, I would talk to the teacher in a manner of a friendly advice, that is, probably, easier and better to get to the offenders through the private conversation.
And then suggest something in the lies of what Sherry has written - how to encourage kids to be clean.
My son did not go to kindergarten until the age 5 and that is a much different child than a 3 or 4 year old.

If your child was house-broken and clean, I doubt you would have received such a letter in the first place.

The parents need to teach their kids at an early age that they don't want to be the smelly kid in class. That helps them acquire good hygiene habits.

What! The parents are not bathing their kids regularly and everyone wants to shoot the messager here. I agree the teacher could had used better tact; however, who is looking out for the kids here? To me, it looks like it's this teacher. If you are a parent that received this letter, perhaps the proper response is to start taking better care of your kids rather than going all "momma bear" on this teacher.

Last edited:

I would wonder why you were sending your child to school at the age of 3-4 years in the first place.

There are lots of reasons why parent(s) enroll their children in preschool/daycare.:dunno:

If your child was house-broken and clean, I doubt you would have received such a letter in the first place.

as I understand the letter was not sent to the parents, but just put on a board publicly.
And I had a 3 year long maternity leave so I could stay with mys son - not everybody has that luxury.

Last edited:
What! The parents are not bathing their kids regularly and everyone wants to shoot the messager here. I agree the teacher could had used better tact; however, who is looking out for the kids here. To me, it looks like it's this teacher. If you are a parent that received this letter, perhaps the proper response us to start taking better care of your kids rather than going all "momma bear" on this teacher.

You're assuming that only parents guilty of not taking care of their children would be upset...IMO it should concern any parent if a teacher handled such a situation in that manner, because it speaks to how she could handle future incidents. While she may have had the interests of the kids at heart, anyone who thinks at least one parent wouldn't be visiting the administrator of the facility, is at best quite naive. Don't work with young children if you don't have the ability to display and communicate with compassion. Period.

I feel for the kids, and the teacher. One little boy that came home with my son stunk so badly that we would give him a bath and wash his clothes every time he came. I got him into my cubscout den. I paid for everything and even got him his uniform. His mother couldn't even be bothered to show up at that Pack meetings when he got an award even when I offered to drive her. I ended up standing up for his mother in more ways than one. I even tried calling CPS on her because her kids did stink, heck her apartment smelled so bad that the first time I visited and they answer the door, I was practically knocked off the doorstep from the smell. CPS wouldn't help, the school wouldn't help. I just did the best I could, getting him some clean clothes to keep at my house and letting him bathe and clean up here before school whenever possible. I can't believe the state actually pays people like that to parent their kids. That woman made me so mad, I never talked bad about her in front of her son, but I was often seething underneath when she was around. Last time I talked to him, he was working full time at a sheet metal factory and taking care of his mother. I like to think I had something to do with the way he turned out.

The letter is probably a fake. Unless the kids were pottying in their pants they would not have BO. Those glands don't develop until puberty. If they were going in their pants they are too young to be in school.

What! The parents are not bathing their kids regularly and everyone wants to shoot the messager here. I agree the teacher could had used better tact; however, who is looking out for the kids here. To me, it looks like it's this teacher. If you are a parent that received this letter, perhaps the proper response us to start taking better care of your kids rather than going all "momma bear" on this teacher.

You're assuming that only parents guilty of not taking care of their children would be upset...IMO it should concern any parent if a teacher handled such a situation in that manner, because it speaks to how she could handle future incidents. While she may have had the interests of the kids at heart, anyone who thinks at least one parent wouldn't be visiting the administrator of the facility, is at best quite naive. Don't work with young children if you don't have the ability to display and communicate with compassion. Period.

It's true, she could have handled it better. Still, I doubt whatever she did would have really helped. The parents responsible may change for awhile, but then they'll slip back into their filthy ways and our government could care less.

Oh please, that teacher stinks. Kids at that age get dirty and if she doesn't want to hug them she needs to find another profession.

It doesn't mean a chat with the parents would hurt but do it privately, one on one.

And yes, there are plenty of reasons to put your child in daycare, preschool, pre-k. It is especially helpful getting them ready for kindergarten and sometimes working parents don't have a choice.

And kids are too young at this age to properly care for themselves but they should be learning how from their parents and yes, also their teachers.

And one thing to consider is head lice can spread quickly in conditions like this too so for that reason alone, they should be talking to the parents privately.

Oh please, that teacher stinks. Kids at that age get dirty and if she doesn't want to hug them she needs to find another profession.

It doesn't mean a chat with the parents would hurt but do it privately, one on one.

And yes, there are plenty of reasons to put your child in daycare, preschool, pre-k. It is especially helpful getting them ready for kindergarten and sometimes working parents don't have a choice.

And kids are too young at this age to properly care for themselves but they should be learning how from their parents and yes, also their teachers.

And one thing to consider is head lice can spread quickly in conditions like this too so for that reason alone, they should be talking to the parents privately.

There is a BIG difference between dirty and "dirty". If the kids stink that badly, it's more than the usual kid grub. I'm a mechanic. I get "dirty". I do not stink. At that age, "stinky" usually involves dirty pants, at the least.

Teacher sends note home reminding teacher to keep kids clean -- bad teacher!

Guess it would had been better if she held her nose and did nothing.

There is a BIG difference between dirty and "dirty". If the kids stink that badly, it's more than the usual kid grub. I'm a mechanic. I get "dirty". I do not stink. At that age, "stinky" usually involves dirty pants, at the least.

It could be more than the child not being properly bathed...it might involve a parent who consistently has their child wear dirty clothes and/or doesn't wash their bedding, a pet who sleeps on the kid's clothing, parents who are heavy smokers and it permeates their hair, clothing, backpack, etc.

Teacher sends note home reminding teacher to keep kids clean -- bad teacher!

Guess it would had been better if she held her nose and did nothing.

Where did anyone state that nothing should have been said?? There's a right way and a wrong way to handle such a situation...most people would agree that it wasn't properly addressed.

Forum List

Back